Profile for scs_13 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

scs_13 RSS Feed

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars mostly for studio use, November 18, 2012
This is a very solid tripod head that goes well with the other Manfrotto gear. Since it is very heavy, it is most likely used in a studio setting. The gears of the three dials is smooth and allows easy positioning along the three axes. For macro use you however need a separate geared slider rail to adjust the focus.

Nikon R1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight System
Nikon R1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight System
Price: $459.00
2 used & new from $399.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for macro and many other uses, November 18, 2012
This flash has exceeded my expectations in many ways. In combination with the flash commander setup it delivers close to perfect exposure right out of the box. I thought first I would prefer a ring light, but the versatility of the two individual flashes is much better for changing situation. Well worth the money, also because of all the accessories that come with it.

Velbon Super Magnesium Slider, Macro Rail
Velbon Super Magnesium Slider, Macro Rail

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not work for me., November 18, 2012
While the slider is in principle what I needed, I was very disappointed how coarse the movement of the rail was. Even at a 100 USD, a better tuning of the setup should be possible.

Vivitar FCNIK Flash Cord for Nikon Digital Cameras (Black)
Vivitar FCNIK Flash Cord for Nikon Digital Cameras (Black)
Offered by TRONIXPRO
Price: $14.95
10 used & new from $14.50

3.0 out of 5 stars good for it's price, November 18, 2012
Very thick and heavy wire. Not good for some purposes as it takes a solid stand to mount it. But fine as a start.

GoPro Wi-Fi BacPac + Wi-Fi Remote Combo Kit
GoPro Wi-Fi BacPac + Wi-Fi Remote Combo Kit
Offered by Boone's Overstock
16 used & new from $124.21

1.0 out of 5 stars do not buy, this is not a product., June 25, 2012
Much of what is listed on the package is not true. At the time of purchase there is no connectivity to smart phones or tablets.

Totally not worth the money. Borderline fraud.

Time for class action suit. Anybody?

Sony SANS300 HomeShare Wi-Fi Network Speaker (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by I Deals
Price: $149.99
9 used & new from $54.99

1.0 out of 5 stars not worth your time, June 2, 2012
Bought this item today at Best Buy as open item for cheap (< $30). I consider myself as an IT savvy person, but there times when I was ready to give up and return it. The worst part is that as a Mac user you need to download 3rd party software that expires after 30 days in order to use.

In short, I had to manually configure the device on my network (1 hour), download eyeconnect from Elgato, download Sony remote audio app for the iPAD, and then try multiple times to get it to work.

It now works, but from a playlist on iTunes about 1/3 of the songs won't play, while the rest is fine. No way of predicting which songs will play and which won't.

The sound is ok, but only if you paid like me close to nothing for the device.

For $200 I would consider this another audaciousness from Sony.

Not recommended to anybody.

Nikon D3200 24.2 MP CMOS Digital SLR with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR NIKKOR Zoom Lens (Black)
Price: $476.95
88 used & new from $350.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Baby D800 ??, May 12, 2012
I had no plans to buy this camera, but eventually had to find a solution while waiting for my D800 to be delivered. I kind of felt, I could get some training by shooting high megapixel images on this entry level camera.

My first outing after the camera arrived was to some birdpark with absolutely no prior preparation. The manual is still in the box, only charged the battery overnight and brought a selection of lenses in addition to the kit lens.

First surprise, even the kit "plastic" lens performs really nicely on this camera. Due to the nature of the objects of interest, the remaining shoots were done on a 28-300mm.

I was accompanied by an experienced bird photographer and we took turns with the camera. Both made the following observations: From the angle of experienced Nikon users, this camera offers everything in terms of menus and dials to set the camera up the way one is used to from D90, D7000, D300s level cameras. This came as a surprise, as the D3200 does not have the front dial that we both were used to and familiar with. Nikon has done an surprisingly good job in making the menus very easy to access and after a short while, we where entirely concentrated on the shoot and only occasionally reminding ourself that this was "only" an entry-level DSLR.

At the same time, we were impressed how nice the software is tailored to the needs of a potential beginner, gently guiding him towards to goal of making better photos along the way.

The LCD screen on the back is a huge step forward from previous models, as it allowed to effortless pre-screen the shots taken. I was even carrying a laptop computer to better inspect the initial images, but after a short while we only resorted the the built-in screen.

The biggest surprise was however the image quality after we analyzed our initial >350 photos on a large monitor. The yield of usable photos was right out of the box very high, which reiterates the ease of use of this camera and the great auto-focus system (despite only 11 sensors). Also the smallish size of the body turned out to be less problematic, even with a bigger lens attached to it.

We found the image quality obtained to be absolutely stunning, the sharpness of the images was "picture perfect". Colors just the way one would expect them, as is the hall mark of any Nikon camera. Even small birds could be cropped from the 24 MP resulting in usable 7 MP images. Post-processing was a thrill and resulted in a substantial number of images clearly qualifying as publication quality.

Having seen both, the best and the worst in Nikon cameras, I can verify that this entry level DSLR is a keeper. Even though never planned, it will stay in the collection as a second body and now serves as the main camera until the D800 arrives.

If an entry level camera already is this good, what may be expected of the upcoming updates of the other DX models, the likes of D5100, D7000 and the D300s?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 18, 2012 12:09 PM PDT

Nikon D7000 DSLR (Body Only) (OLD MODEL)
Nikon D7000 DSLR (Body Only) (OLD MODEL)
Offered by Electronics Basket
Price: Click here to see our price
104 used & new from $539.97

1.0 out of 5 stars focus, focus focus, July 7, 2011
Great camera if it could focus

After having owned a D70, D5000, D90, the D7000 is a very different kind of beast. The initial body that I received had massive problems to focus with any of my 6 Nikon lenses, even the new 50mm 1.8G. After initially attributing the poor focus of all my pictures taken to my lack of experience with the camera, I eventually learned from series of test shots that the camera had a massive back focus problem. After exchanging the body for a new one at least one of my 6 lenses (35mm 1.8G) would correctly focus, all others had to be manually calibrated with AF fine tuning. While this process works in principal, I reject to notion that after spending $1.200 on a camera I would have to do so by default. It further tells me that the D7000 no longer is a camera in the league of a D90, which also allowed an hobbyist/enthusiast - consumer to take decent photographs. Thus said, the D7000 largely receives good reviews from professional photographers who know how to calibrate their lenses or people who deny that a $1,200 Nikon could be a bad product.

I urge everyone owning a D90 to hold on to it, as I wished I never had sold mine.

P.S. Yes, I spend lot's of time with the Nikon support desk, but they never bothered to answer my emails after I uploaded my test shot.

Now I am sitting on a bag of Nikon glassware and a camera that I have no confidence in.

Signed, former Nikon enthusiast