Profile for M. Marcotte > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M. Marcotte "web_dev" RSS Feed (Vermont)

A Mini Course for Life
A Mini Course for Life
by Gerald Jampolsky
Price: $12.92
29 used & new from $8.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Great short refresher of the Course in Miracles practice, December 18, 2013
This review is from: A Mini Course for Life (Paperback)
You can tell that everything Gerald Jampolsky does comes from love. This is a great book to get your mind focused on operating from love. It's also takes up very little time out of your day and is easy to do. I will be repeating it a few times this coming year.

Twitter Bootstrap Web Development How-To
Twitter Bootstrap Web Development How-To
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book to get up to speed with Bootstrap quickly, December 27, 2012
I've gone through a few tutorials on Bootstrap including the author's tutorials on tuts+. I wasn't too sure about this one since there were some file structure issues with the online tutorials, which I managed to work out on my own. I think this actually had more to do with Bootstrap changing things on the download site at the time.

I ran into none of those problems with this book. Everything worked just as described including file structure organization. Just be sure to follow his download directions, as I've run into problems depending on where you download bootstrap from. I ended up getting it as an ebook for 4.24 and at that price it was a steal, considering the amount of information provided. I learned quite a bit that I didn't know before and quickly modified the project to fit a personally customized version. It will help if you have some experience with modern coding practices as I needed to write some custom CSS and make additional modifications for my customizations. It's not a huge book but it does have well organized information that will get you up to speed quickly.

Getting StartED with CSS
Getting StartED with CSS
by David Powers
Price: $22.72
100 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for understanding CSS, July 7, 2011
I've been coding in HTML and CSS as a hobby for about ten years and professionally for the past couple of years.

I wish I knew about this book when it first came out. It is probably the most complete book on CSS I've run across. David Powers is a great teacher and he runs you through the progressive steps of building a webpage using CSS for styling and layout. It gets into fairly advanced stuff pretty quickly and might be best for those with at least a little CSS experience. The fact that there are a few minor errors (some of which I will detail) will also make things slightly more difficult for those using this as their first book on CSS. There are some great sites with info on CSS though, such as htmldog.com and those sites combined with this book will take even a rank beginner to the point of being a true expert. The only thing required is a little time and effort.

Notes:

Chapter 11 is devoted to explaining all kinds of ways to do two and three column layouts along with simple methods to deal with IE6. This chapter along with the download files is one of the most complete collection on layouts that I've ever seen. For me it alone was worth the price of the book.

I've worked through all the exercises in this book along with doing some experiments based on them. There are some errors in the book that may cause problems for those new to CSS.

1. There are several places where a small o is used in the hexadecimal color codes. Those familiar with them will know that the highest letter that can be used is F. In all instances where you see a small o it should be replaced with a zero. The code downloads seem to be correct.

2. On page 143 there is a typo regarding the math used for a blockquote element. It says that 38% of 720 pixels is 723.6 which should be rounded up to 725px. It should read that it equals 273.6 which should be rounded up to 275px. Once you have that straight the rest of the exercise makes sense.

3. The text in the example on Figure 10-14 on page 388 is wrong for the first div. It should read that it is 75px from the right side of the page. The code in the download files is correct though in regards to where the div is placed even though the text describing placement is wrong.

I want to make one other note. While you will learn a lot from creating the horizontal menu in the Journey project the code will not be practical for menus created by content management systems like WordPress or Drupal. If you have complete control over the text in the nav menus then it will work just fine (although I would use different styling). So... static pages fine but you will have to study other methods of coding menus if you are creating themes for CMS's (which is another whole subject in itself).

So despite a few errors I'm going to give this book five stars. It contains a wealth of practical information along with a really complete and well organized set of download files. David's explanations are very thorough and he structures exercises that will help you truly understand the material. Working through them answered some of the final nagging questions that had been bugging me in implementing CSS layouts. It's one of the best books I've gone through on CSS.

Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 [Old Version]
Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 [Old Version]
Offered by Solutions+
Price: $173.99
52 used & new from $53.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Another fix for broken spell check in Outlook Express after installation, July 4, 2008
I like the new version of Word, although it took a while to find certain features.

The one really annoying thing was that after installing it the only option I had for a spell check language in Outlook Express was French, something that has been mentioned before in the reviews. My last version was Word 2000 on another computer so installing the older dictionary from 2003 was not an option.

I did some checking in the Microsoft forums and found that while there is no current fix for the problem through Microsoft (they are supposed to working on hotfix for it) you can download a free stand alone spell checker for Outlook Express. (I made sure my internet security program was up to date first) It figured it should be safe since it was actually recommended by a Microsoft tech person on one of several posts recommending this as the fix.

The download is available from [...]. Look for Mail Utilities > Spell Checker for OE. I'm happy to report that after downloading and installing it I can now spellcheck in English and both English and French are listed as available languages in OE.

Dreamweaver MX Weekend Crash Course
Dreamweaver MX Weekend Crash Course
by Wendy Peck
32 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Unfair reviews, May 27, 2003
I am not reviewing this edition of the book. I am writing this because of a few unfairly negative reviews I see here. When I started learning Dreamweaver 4, Wendy Pecks "Dreamweaver 4 Weekend Crash Course" was the single best book I used for getting up to speed on Dreamweaver. I'm sure this book is very similar. It should be noted that I am a long time HTML handcoder who has started using Dreamweaver in the last year.
As far as those reviews who discredit it because it doesn't cover the more advanced features.... What do you expect from a crash course book. This type of book is aimed at getting beginners up to speed quickly, and it does this admirably. After that you go to on to more advanced, and in depth books.
I am always disapointed to see mac users give a bad review just because a book is not mac specific. The differences are minor. You have a couple of keys in the exact same place with different names on them, and you have to use two hands to do what we can do with one (right clicking). So what. How hard is that to deal with. I learned the most about the pen tool in Illustrator from a Mac book that was two versions older, (6 versus 8). This was substantially harder because menu choices had changed places in the newer version of Illustrator. It was still worth it because the author gave the best instruction I had come across on understanding the pen tool. When Apple allows me to build a computer from competetively priced hardware of my own chosing, I will think about giving the Mac OS a try. Until then I am happy building my own custom machines for less money with the setup that I want on them.
Wendy Peck is a very good author with a great sense of design. Check out her articles in the graphics section of webreference.com if you want to see for yourselves.
One last thing. Her section on liquid table design in Dreamweaver was the single best instruction I have read on the subject. The only reason I'm not giving 5 stars is that I haven't read this particlular version of the book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 11, 2009 2:45 PM PDT

Dreamweaver(R) 4 Fireworks(R) 4 Studio: A Beginner's Guide
Dreamweaver(R) 4 Fireworks(R) 4 Studio: A Beginner's Guide
by Kim Cavanaugh
36 used & new from $0.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, especially for beginners, April 7, 2002
This is a very well structured book, and gives the novice some background on the web and HTML, which more experienced web designers may want to skim over. I am well versed in HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, and have been handcoding with Notepad and an HTML Editor for the past three years. I had read about Dreamweaver and Fireworks and decided to learn them. I've gone through the Dreamweaver section of the book so far and have gotten a pretty good feel for the program. I have already gone through two Fireworks books so I will probably go through that section pretty quickly.
The main strengths of this book are:
1. Well structured with a logical progression from one chapter to another.
2. Very few errors unlike some computer books I've worked with. Also I e-mailed the author and got a reply the next day, so he seems committed to helping readers of his book.
3. Little mini reviews and also chapter reviews to make sure you understand each module.
This book is among the best I have seen in the way the infomation is presented. It doesn't cover everything Dreamweaver has to offer but I can't imagine a better book to start out with.