Profile for Jolly Gourmand > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 163

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jolly Gourmand RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Matfer Bourgeat 321005 Exopat 11-5/8-by-16-3/8-Inch Nonstick Baking Mat
Matfer Bourgeat 321005 Exopat 11-5/8-by-16-3/8-Inch Nonstick Baking Mat
Price: $21.05
5 used & new from $17.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Other uses besides baking...., February 3, 2006
My cookie recipes are quite controversial concerning the use of a silicone baking sheet. The purists (Think 'Cook's Illustrated'.) insist some (like chocolate chip) should be baked on a cold, non-stick cookie sheet such as Chicago Metallic 'Natural'. I therefore found an alternate use. I use this with great success to line my shallow rectangular baking dish. The roast (beef or pork or whatever) goes on my Calphalon non-stick meat rack and between the two, I have no mess and clean-up is a breeze.

Having read some of the reviews, I will plan on using this for my next batch of cookies. The worst that can happen is that they won't brown properly.

Will update with the results. However, at the 'Friday Sale' bargain price of $8.95, I am ordering another.

Presto 02910 Salad Shooter Electric Slicer/Shredder
Presto 02910 Salad Shooter Electric Slicer/Shredder
Price: $27.99
83 used & new from $15.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome cheese grater (Veggies too!)...., January 15, 2006
I purchased this based on the excellent Amazon reviews. I am glad I was not wrong. This 'Salad Shooter' does excellently at shredded cheese. Even the semi-soft cheeses (Swiss among them) come out great! Cleanup is also a breeze. (Note: Do remember to slip your cheese into the freezer for 15 minutes prior to grating.)

I was cooking split-pea soup last evening and when it came time to grate the carrots and onions, the 'Salad Shooter' performed marvelously! Thank you Amazon and 'Presto'!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 21, 2014 3:17 PM PDT

Taylor 1470 Digital Cooking Thermometer/Timer
Taylor 1470 Digital Cooking Thermometer/Timer
Price: $15.97
73 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This one has it all...., January 13, 2006
A long (oven proof cord to the sensor unit, separate controls for time and temperature roasting/baking, automatic shut-off (if you forget) and a pleasant (but insistant) time/temp alarm. I paid the low Amazon price of $16.95. At the Friday sale price, I think it is a steal and am buying two more as 'stocking stuffers' for next Christmas.

My only small complaint is that the probe (which, contrary to what another reviewer stated, does NOT carry unwanted heat to the center of the item being cooked) is a little long and awkward to use if you are roasting a small (1-2 lb.) cut of meat.

Sheffield WH580035 5 Piece Plier Set
Sheffield WH580035 5 Piece Plier Set
Offered by hofers419
Price: $27.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Cannot beat the price...., January 13, 2006
Comes with free shipping and a bonus 8" aluminum torpedo level with magnetic strip that, believe it or not, is made in the USA!!! The pliers, made in China, appear sturdy. The handles could have had a nicer padded plastic grip, but for the money, this set simply cannot be beat.

Kaiser Bakeware Alfi 31435010100ermal Carafe, 8-Cup
Kaiser Bakeware Alfi 31435010100ermal Carafe, 8-Cup

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful insulated carafe for the low Amazon price...., January 12, 2006
I purchased this to hold my Bodum french press coffee maker coffee so it would not continue to steep and get bitter. It works like a charm and holds the entire pot (about 1 litre) at a uniform temperature. Reasonable care must be taken when washing or handling due to the glass liner. All-in-all, an attractive, high quality carafe that insulates the way it is supposed to.

Cycle Force 6-Foot Resettable Combination Bike Lock
Cycle Force 6-Foot Resettable Combination Bike Lock

3.0 out of 5 stars 5-Stars for construction , but -0-Stars for 'Instruction'..., January 8, 2006
This lock, made in China, seems well constructed (although could likely be managed with a bolt cutter). However, apparently the clever and devious Chinese technical writer had not been exposed to slow, lazy occidental Americans. I worked with the instructions on two occassions, but was still unable to set an alternate combination. Perhaps use of an American technical writer would have been best. This company does not have a web site, so calling the toll-free number seems to be the only recourse (other than returning it to Amazon).

1/20/06 Update: Was finally able to set the lock. However, the lock would not open to the new combo (nor the old) so now it is useless junk. Am awaiting Amazon's instructions for only my second customer return.

02/13/06 update: The second lock malfunctioned just like the first. After setting the new combination and testing it prior to engaging, the lock was closed, the cylinders were 'twirled', the cylinders were then reset to the combination selected and the lock failed to open. 2nd dud!! Amazon has been kind enough to furnish return shipping for both and a refund to my credit card. Thanks, Amazon!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 3, 2010 3:38 PM PDT

Joyce Chen Traditional 14-Inch Flat Bottom Wok Set
Joyce Chen Traditional 14-Inch Flat Bottom Wok Set

3.0 out of 5 stars For those of you who own an electric stove......, January 6, 2006
Do NOT follow the (awful) directions on 'seasoning' the pan.
BEFORE MOUNTING THE LONG HANDLE:

First: Wrap the wood helper handle with aluminum foil (shiney side out).

Second: Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Third: taking a paper towel oiled with a high-heat oil (peanut, for example), oil both the inside and outside of the wok base.

Fourth: Place on lower rack and heat for 20-25 minutes. Repeat as needed until the wok base is dark golden brown.

Finally: You will encounter a little bit of scorching on the helper handle, but end up with a 'well-seasoned' pan. You would not have accomplished this on an electric cooktop.

This 'four piece wok set' is made up of a solid wok, a lite tin top, a flimsy bamboo spatula and a cheap 4-page cooking/care guide.

Joyce Chen certainly gives emphasis to the term, 'Chinese Cheapo'!

Anolon Advanced 12-Inch Shallow Round Grill Pan
Anolon Advanced 12-Inch Shallow Round Grill Pan

5.0 out of 5 stars Although 'Cook's Illustrated' gave the 'Simply Calphalon' its highest rating,..., January 6, 2006
Anolon 'Advanced' is the much higher quality, and, for some quirky reason, is priced $15 less than the Calphalon! I pan-grilled some filet mignon steaks (am savoring them now) and was impressed at the signature 'sear marks'. Cleanup is a breeze and reviewers should note that the Anolon 'Advanced' line has not been plagued with the shedding of the non-stick coating (as both the 'Commercial' and 'Simply Calphalon' lines have been).

This will not take the place of an outdoor grill, but it does bring a taste of summer into the cold winter months. 'Cook's Illustrated' also gave the Anolon 'Advanced' 12" Deep Covered Grill Pan high marks, but this shallower, non-covered grill pan is $25 less and besides, who covers a grill pan when it is grilling anyway?

PS: I'm glad I 'recycled' my 10+ pound Lodge, cast-iron grill to my weight-lifting son for Christmas! :o)

Delonghi KBX1510 Cool Touch Electric Kettle
Delonghi KBX1510 Cool Touch Electric Kettle

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegant, fast and simple to use...., January 6, 2006
It takes about 4 minutes to boil a 48-ounce carafe of water. The carafe is large enough to boil water prior to filling my 12-cup drip coffee maker (to get rid of the chlorine taste and etc.) and is easy to fill. I would call it almost fool-proof. The design of the lid (spring-loaded), while elegantly efficient, makes cleanup (every-so-often) a bit problematical since I have not figured out how to remove the lid prior to washing.

This is also the perfect accompanyment to the 'French press' coffee maker.

Note: Only water should be boiled in this carafe.

SiliconeZone 11-by-15-Inch Non-Skid Flexible Cutting Boards, Set of 4
SiliconeZone 11-by-15-Inch Non-Skid Flexible Cutting Boards, Set of 4

5.0 out of 5 stars To the reviewer who posted -'happy x 4 / unhappy x 1', please read my customer service tale..., January 6, 2006
Since I had time on my hands, I visited the SiliconeZone web site. It was well designed and fascinating, especially the history of the company. In order to test customer service, I expressed the above customer's concerns and asked what the outcome would (should) be. Within a day, I receved the following email (excerpt):

"Since we do not usually issue returns directly to the consumer, it is Amazon that is not responding to this customer. Our policy is to work with the retailer when they report a problem to us. The retailer we hope will have assisted the consumer with whatever issue they may have with the product. We then issue a credit to the retailer or a replacement product depending upon the retailer request.

We do not have a toll free number, but the retailer know(s) how to reach us and we are extremely responsive to their requests."

A few days later, I received another email from SiliconeZone:

"Generally, we ask the customer to return (it to) the point of purchase since the financial transaction happens between the consumer and the retailer. They (The retailer) should take back the product or exchange it. If not (exchanged), they (the customer) can send the product to us for replacement; however, we need proof of defect (the product back).

We do not have an 800 number yet, but we are working on it.

Happy Holidays,

Michael Karyo
CEO, SiliconeZone"

I think this is just awesome! How many times have you seen a customer service response from the CEO of the company?!? And this, over a $10 item!

I received these yesterday and think they are perfect. They are made in China and you will want to get some 'Ronsonol' to clean the tape backing from them before use. Due to lack of space, I placed one on an old (unsanitary), over-the-sink, wooden cutting board. This took care of providing a 'cushioned' surface (a complaint another reviewer raised). Using my heavy chef's knife (Think 'Psycho'!), I chopped up some carrots, celery and onions (using the pale green cutting mat) and had no problems with wear.
These cutting mats are stiff and not at all like the SiliconeZone silicone baking sheet, so they do not 'roll up', as the baking sheet does. Because they are flexible, they can be bent comfortably to carry the chopped results to the cooking vessel with no muss or fuss.

All-in-all, I don't know how a reviewer can give these any less than 5-Stars. For price, quality, ease-of-use, and variety, this set is without peer!

Thank you Amazon and SiliconeZone!

02/02/06 Update: These grip the old over-the-sink cutting board so thet there is no slippage. They are very tough. I have excellent knives that are kept razor sharp. I have lightly scored the red (meat) mat, but that is to be expected. My very sharp Calaphon meat fork did not even make a discernable dent in the mat. These are just an excellent value, especially when you compare them to similar products available on the Amazon site.

02/04/06 Update: One thing these cutting mats are not is (high) heat resistant. I placed a hot pizza stone on one without even thinking of the consequences. When I cleaned the stone this morning, I discovered the mat had molded itself to the bottom of the stone. I would still highly recommend these, put do keep in mind, as other reviewers have stated, these are not silicone.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17