Profile for Todd A. Dobbs > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Todd A. Dobbs "Shutterbug" RSS Feed (Boulder, Colorado USA)

Logitech Harmony 650 Remote Control (Silver)
Logitech Harmony 650 Remote Control (Silver)
Price: $67.99
36 used & new from $49.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Mac users BEWARE! Logitech DOES NOT support Mac!, December 4, 2013
Let me start by saying I have owned a Logitech 550 for several years, and while the desktop software used to set it up was nothing special, it worked and I loved the remote. However, like all humans we have dropped the 550 too many times and it is on its last legs, so we decided to buy the 650 (cheapest model available now).

The 650 must be set up over an internet browser (no desktop option, period), it requires Microsoft Silverlight to work. So I installed Silverlight and restarted my browser, and myharmony.com keeps telling me to install Silverlight. Fine, I uninstall, reinstall, reboot, try this on multiple browsers, etc. Still no dice, it just keeps telling me to install Silverlight.

So I head to harmony support, come to find this is a major problem for all Mac users regardless of operating system or browser, tried a variety of admin posted tips to fix issue (one of which involved opening the Terminal, seriously you want me to type root commands Logitech?). Nothing worked. I figure I'll contact Harmony support directly, they want MORE $$$ to even talk to me! Tech rage reaching all time high at this point, remote will be returned promptly in the morning.

I will NEVER buy another Logitech product again based on this experience, even free apps work better than this paid device and the garbage website. How a company can ignore Mac support in an age when Apple is one of the most profitable companies is absurd, shame on you Logitech!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 20, 2013 10:58 PM PST

Bosch RA1181 Benchtop Router Table
Bosch RA1181 Benchtop Router Table
Price: $162.00
4 used & new from $162.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes, the Bosch MRC23EVSK router WILL fit this table, December 30, 2011
I searched and searched to see if my Bosch MRC23EVSK would fit this table, even Bosch's own website did not list it as compatible. However, Amazon dangled a screaming deal in my face for this table so I had to take a chance. I can now confirm that YES, it does fit the Bosch MRC23EVSK fixed router base, use the "B" pattern for your screws when attaching the fixed base to the plate. Plus with the fixed base permanently attached to the table I now have room in the router case for other accessories.

As to the quality of the table, can't be beat for the price, but obviously a cabinet is superior if you can afford it. Lots of plastic parts, don't over tighten! How well does it work? It's a router table, it does what it advertises. Make sure you take the time to properly level the plate.

Photographic Possibilities: The Expressive Use of Equipment, Ideas, Materials, and Processes
by Robert Hirsch
Price: $35.63
47 used & new from $20.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource for "alternative processes", September 27, 2009
I teach alternative processes and was looking for a smaller, and cheaper, version of Christopher James "The Book of Alternative Photographic Processes". While I love James' book, the cost has always made it a difficult choice to require my students to purchase, I would rather they had a bit more money for supplies to actually use some of the processes described in the book instead of just reading about them. This is where "Photographic Possibilities" comes to the rescue. Hirsch does a good job of summarizing photographic history as it relates to the use of processes in the first chapter of the book, and he keeps it interesting so even the shortest attention spans should be captivated. The rest of the book includes valuable information on classic B/W film and paper processes (face it, these are now alternative processes too), as well as discussing many of the more popular hand-coated processes like Cyanotype and Platinum/Palladium. The chapter on digital negatives is a good primer for a beginner to use, but like any textbook that includes current software and hardware, it is doomed to be out of date soon by no fault of Hirsch. The most valuable part of this textbook in my opinion is the chapter on how to actually incorporate the various processes and concepts into a work-flow that makes the best use of your materials and processes. I recommend this to any photographer wanting to expand their image making vocabulary, and instructors of alternative photography.

Lomography Fisheye Submarine Case (Clear/Red)
Lomography Fisheye Submarine Case (Clear/Red)
Price: $59.99
4 used & new from $55.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun accessory for a fun camera!, July 2, 2008
This product does exactly what it says it will. It protects the Lomography fisheye camera so that you can use it underwater.

While I did not test out the maximum depth they claim, it worked like a charm for me as deep as 20 feet in both fresh and salt water locations. I was even able to change rolls of film on the boat ride between snorkeling locations without any leaking issues. I highly recommend using the flash and the provided flash diffuser unless you are in a shallow pool on a bright sunny day. The light loss even with ISO 400 film was significant even a few feet under water in the area I was snorkeling in.

If you are going on vacation and looking for a fun camera that will confuse the lab techs and make all the locals ask "what is that?" than this is certainly a great purchase. I had a blast with this camera, and even though I shot over 900 frames on my D300, some of my favorite images from the trip were from this camera. It's just fun!

Digital Negatives: Using Photoshop to Create Digital Negatives for Silver and Alternative Process Printing
by Ron Reeder
26 used & new from $77.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended to all photographic printmakers!, June 14, 2007
Dan Burkholder gets the credit for introducing digital negatives for contact printing processes several years ago, but it is Ron Reeder and Brad Hinkle who have finally worked out a system that produces extremely repeatable results. Now photographers everywhere can easily harness the power of Photoshop to create stunning prints using just about any contact printing process available. I have personally used this book to create salted-paper prints, van dykes, cyanotypes, and silver gelatin prints with pleasing results.

I teach alternative processes year round in Denver, Colorado, and as any instructor knows, the easiest way to hook a student on something new is the accessibility of the process. Even my darkroom shy students are taking notice of the work a small handful of pioneering students are experimenting with at our school using this excellent text. One student exclaimed to me just last week "this book will save the darkroom".

If you are looking for a system to harness the power of Photoshop with the beauty of a hand-crafted print, this is the best resource available!