Profile for G. Powell > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 606

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

G. Powell RSS Feed (Seattle, WA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Mavic A 719 black (Design: 36 hole)
Mavic A 719 black (Design: 36 hole)
Offered by BikeSomeWhere
Price: $84.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Good tough commuting rims., May 11, 2015
This review is from: Mavic A 719 black
I ride 5 to 6K a year on my bike. I have cantilever brakes that chew up rims and so I end up replacing them every 2K. The rims are still true but I've worn through the sidewalls. I am happy with the rims though as no other rim lasts any longer than these for me.

Orfos Flare 360 Degree Bike Headlight and Tail Light (Red and White)
Orfos Flare 360 Degree Bike Headlight and Tail Light (Red and White)
Offered by Orfos
Price: $239.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great lights, high quality wonderful visiblity, April 15, 2015
Length:: 0:17 Mins

I've had my light for about 4 weeks and I love it. The price point/quality/lumens is excellent. I have Dinotte lights as well and they are about 2x the price of this tail light. The lumens are about the same, as the Orfos flare has 300 lumens but a wider arc vs the Dinottee at 200 but a more focused beam. You can see from my video the Orfos is the thinner light on the right and the Dinotte on the left.

The battery on full brightness, with a modulated flash pattern lasts about 10 hours. The magnet holds the light securely, but it's also good to use some friction tape on the surface where you attach the magnet as I've had mine rotate a bit over the course of a 15 mile commuter ride. (that's potholes, bridge joints, curb drops etc.) The light however is firmly attached with no sign of letting go of the magnet.

I like the quick on/off of the bike for when I park it. Means my lights will still be with me for the ride home.

BTW, the lights are manufactured here in Seattle, (that's in the USA, home of the Seahawks!) The lower cost lights you see manufactured in China often use recycled PC batteries. This unit uses the newer LPO batteries and the unit is potted, ie sealed against the weather which is critical here in Seattle for winter riding.

When you are trying to figure out whether brighter lights are worth it, remember if you can see the rider before you can see their lights, the lights aren't doing their job.

Bottom line: Recommended BUY.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 24, 2015 12:36 AM PDT

Leatherman 831677 Mako Ti/Peg
Leatherman 831677 Mako Ti/Peg
Offered by 17th Street Photo
Price: $29.00
16 used & new from $26.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to my road repair tool it., January 5, 2015
I'm a daily commuter so I have a lot of bike maintenance issues with frequent on the road repairs. I got tired of carrying full size tools as I have a bus backup if I can't fix it and most days nothing goes wrong. But then there are those days when I need to adjust something or tighten some nut/screw etc which has come loose. This tool plus the "Burketek Pocket Wrench" seem to fit the need without being excessively heavy or bulky.

I took the advice of another reviewer and bought a magnetic hex bit holder and a 1/4" drive to hex adapter and some "O" rings so that I can use the hex bits that come with this tool better. (Plus the few 1/4" drive sockets I sometimes carry to fit some other odd nut or allen head screw.) Check out the photo for how to use, they are available at any decent hardware store. Metric hex bit allen heads are not, so if you need them, order them from here.

Recommendation: Buy.
Comment Comment | Permalink

DEWALT DW2045 Professional 3-Inch Magnetic Bit Tip Holder
DEWALT DW2045 Professional 3-Inch Magnetic Bit Tip Holder
Price: $6.28
31 used & new from $2.26

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good magnetic bit holder., January 5, 2015
Bought to use with some pocket wrenches. Seems to work well, however the magnet is a little stronger than I would prefer for cold hands to pull the bit out. If you are using this all day though you'll want the better magnet.

NEW OEM SAMSUNG TAD037JBE HOME CHARGER SGH-X475, SGH-X495/T209, SGH-X496
NEW OEM SAMSUNG TAD037JBE HOME CHARGER SGH-X475, SGH-X495/T209, SGH-X496
Offered by PNE Enterprises, Inc.
Price: $4.84
36 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Replacement chager for older flip phone., January 5, 2015
Same as the one that came with the phone. Works just as well.

Burktek Pocket Wrench II
Burktek Pocket Wrench II
Price: $19.68
2 used & new from $17.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Really nice pocket wrench. With a pair of multi-tool pliers you can fix a lot of stuff., January 5, 2015
This review is from: Burktek Pocket Wrench II (Sports)
I Love it, however you can't put a large amount of force on the nut, as what is grabbing the nut is one flat side and one bit of the corner on the opposite side. Anyone who has worked with a stubborn nut knows that you can easily round off the corner with a misadjusted wrench and this will happen with this tool. There just isn't that much surface area to grab.

However I have replaced the 6" crescent wrench in my on the road bicycle kit with this tool. I was carrying it for a few 11mm nuts that occasionally loosen on my fenders. And it works great.

I also took the suggestion of someone else and bought a magnetic bit holder and the hex to 1/4" drive adaptor and a couple of "O" rings to hold them in place. Now I have a tool that can be easily adapted for any set up. (I have some metric allen head sockets 3mm and 2mm for some other small bolts holding the rack on that also loosen up over time.)
Comment Comment | Permalink

SKS Grand D.A.D. Dual Adjust Dirtboard Front Bicycle Fender
SKS Grand D.A.D. Dual Adjust Dirtboard Front Bicycle Fender
Price: $33.55
18 used & new from $21.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the Mt Bike front fenders., November 21, 2014
Great for Mountain biking in the Pacific Northwest. Yes it rains here, and so we get mud on the trails, no need to wear it, and that's what this fender does a great job of, keeping the dirt off your front.

Momentum Women's 1M-DV07WA1A M1 Stainless Steel Sport Watch
Momentum Women's 1M-DV07WA1A M1 Stainless Steel Sport Watch
Price: $145.00
4 used & new from $130.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch for the active lifestyle, November 21, 2014
Bought as a gift for my wife. Yes the band is small, but it fits her wrist perfectly. Looks better in person than it does in the photo. The only improvement would be a solar charger in the face, but that's the future of all of these electric watches.

Continental Trail King MTB Bicycle Tire (26x2.2, Wire Beaded)
Continental Trail King MTB Bicycle Tire (26x2.2, Wire Beaded)
Offered by Bikewagon
Price: $28.00
12 used & new from $26.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tires for the Pacific NW trails., November 13, 2014
I bought these to replace a pair of 1.95 street tires that I had gotten for commuting on my Mt bike. These are beefy and seem to roll right over the wet roots and mud that is the state of the trails here in the Northwest in the fall.

Also they "just" fit on the bike in place of those old tires (1.95) by just clearing the top of the V brakes and the frame seat tube. So if you switch to a larger tire be sure to measure.

All in all, am happy with the tires.

Aqua Sphere Kayenne Goggle With Smoke Lens, Clear/Silver, Regular
Aqua Sphere Kayenne Goggle With Smoke Lens, Clear/Silver, Regular
Price: $19.57
33 used & new from $18.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Goggles!, August 28, 2014
I bought these to replace my previous season's swim goggles and they worked better than I expected. Usually my goggles get torn off my face when I body surf, or dive in from the dock, not these. The smoke glass is also great if the sun is shinning brightly. They were well worth the extra money, vs the ten dollar pairs I used to buy.

Recommended: Buy!