Profile for Famp76 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 16

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Famp76 RSS Feed (Houston, TX USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Klipsch Image S4i Rugged - Red All Weather In-Ear Headphones
Klipsch Image S4i Rugged - Red All Weather In-Ear Headphones
Offered by Woot
Price: $48.95
30 used & new from $39.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not Klipsch quality in all aspects, June 5, 2014
I have been using Klipsch headphones for many years. I have always been a fan of the sound it produces. I lost my old S4i headphones in an airplane, so I ordered a replacement. I decided to try these out, since I use them mostly to exercise and work on my yard. Here's the review:

THE GOOD:
The sound that these earbuds produce is good, compared to other brands in this price range. I am referring to brands such as Apple premium headphones, Skull Candy, Bose and Beats. Put side by side, these buds come out ahead.

THE BAD:
1) The sound is good, however, if you compare them to other Klipsch earbuds such as the S4, S4i, S4i2, (Me and my wife owned them all), the sound is definitely inferior. I don't care what the advertising says (they're supposed to be the same earbuds but on a rugged package) - they do NOT sound the same. The bass, treble, and voice clarity are more muffed. Not bad if you've never owned Klipsch, but if you have, you WILL notice the difference, especially given its similar price range. I am an audiophile, but my wife is not, and she noticed the difference.

2) The design: First, the plastic that connects to the earpiece is sharp. I hurt my ears several times trying to adjust them. And why id I keep readjusting? because the volume control is so big and heavy, the earpieces keep getting pulled down just by walking or moving your head. At one point half my attention was spent worrying about the headphones falling off than listening to my music.

SHIPPING: I am a Prime member. Starting a few weeks ago, Amazon began shipping small items like these via FEDEX half the way and USPS the final deliverer. The mail in my neighborhood is terrible. The mailman almost always places items in the wrong mailbox or not at all. We're paying for free 2 day shipping via our Prime membership and my items never arrived. When I called, Amazon immediately gave me a refund and paid for overnight shipping on a replacement. This is great service, and I must wonder how much money they're saving by shipping this way compared to the replacements they're paying for as a result of USPS's mediocre service.

So overall, I definitely do not recommend these particular earbuds. Klipsch's quality is awesome. If you're in the market for headphones, go for the S4i or s4i2. They're definitely a better choice.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 23, 2014 7:37 AM PDT

iPhone 5S Case, Spigen Tough Armor Case for iPhone 5/5S - SF Smooth Black (SGP10492)
Price: $19.95
9 used & new from $13.93

3.0 out of 5 stars Black Case's Material is a Smudge magnet, February 16, 2014
I first tried the silver case. I liked it as far as protection and portability goes. It feels great and barely adds volume to your phone. it is reinforced on the corners and does in fact protect in a fall. I was at the Apple store and a guy that was shoppng for cases there loved mine so much he bought it for me on the spot! So I ordered another one - this time the black. So now I have tried 2 colors. Here is my review of both:

**The Silver scratches very easy. Within hours of having it on, I noticed small scratches just from having it laying in a table. I can only imagine how it will look over time with rough use.

** The Black one is made of a rubber like soft material. it does not scratch as easy. However, it is a magnet for smudges. Just the oil from your fingers while using it will make it look like you ate 2 pounds of oily fried food and then grabbed your phone! the Material is also not as sturdy as the others so the back plate comes off easily.

Bottom line, If you want protection for your phone without the bulkiness of an Otterbox and don't care about scratches of plan to clean smudges often, then get this case. Otherwise, look elsewhere.
I will also say that Amazon is hands down the cheapest place to get this case. If you get it at the mall kiosks, expect to pay $35 to $40!!

AmazonBasics Apple Certified Lightning to USB Cable - 3 Feet (0.9 Meters) - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware if you have a case on your phone. it may be too big on the tip, December 4, 2013
The tip of the lightning end is too thick. Those with a case will have a hard time getting it to fit. I would redesign it with a smaller tip

Einstein: His Life and Universe
Einstein: His Life and Universe
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing story about an amazing human being, December 4, 2013
This book taught me so much about the great Genius. Many stories and misconceptions I had of him were fully clarified. I definitely would recommends it

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich
The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars a little biased, but a thorough story of Nazi Germany, December 4, 2013
It's long, but it relates in detail the Third Reich. From Hitler's birth through the Nuremberg Trials. The only thing I did not like is that the author is definitely not objective in his writing. We all know the Nazis were devil lunatics. The author, having been a news correspondent, the book is filled with personal opinions and name calling of the people, events or decisions. Other than that I loved it. The only way to avoid something similar is to know the past, so we learn how to read the warning signs.

Mophie Juice Pack Air Made for iPhone 5s / 5 (1700mAh) Protective Battery Case - Black
Offered by WorldWide Distributors
Price: $79.95
84 used & new from $16.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap replica, December 4, 2013
Cheap Chinese replica. I returned it 2 hours after opening package. The case would not close right and the computer would not recognize the phone when plugged in through the device's micro-usb cable.

Crucial m4 256GB 2.5-Inch (9.5mm) SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive CT256M4SSD2
Crucial m4 256GB 2.5-Inch (9.5mm) SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive CT256M4SSD2
Offered by Sab Computer
Price: $246.80
14 used & new from $79.99

3.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE: Known problem after 5000 hours of use!, October 12, 2012
I purchased this SSD in November 2011. I installed it on a brand new system build: Core i7 2600k, 16GB Ram, Gygabyte motherboard.
I have a set of Logitech Alert security cameras in my house, and because of that I run my system 24/7. Last week, my system just froze out of nowhere. 1 keystroke and I got the Blue Screen of Death. After rebooting, the system did not detect the SSD. At first I thought it was the Motherboard, but when I swapped the drive for a HDD everything was fine. I was about to throw it away and cut my losses, when I realized I still was within the 1 year warranty.
I called Crucial (they have outstanding customer service). I explained my situation and the gentleman had me look up the firmware version. 3 second later he explained that the firmware of these SSDs has a flaw that will prevent a system from detecting it after 5000 hours of use. He had me format the SSD and walked me through updating the firmware, and that was it, it works fine now.

I have an issue with this and I have my theories. First of all, for a normal user that turns on his computer a few hours a day, it would have taken over a year to go through the 5000 hours of use. If you ask me, this "faulty firmware" was designed to fail just past the one year warranty, forcing you to buy a new one. Of course it will be hard to prove, and you can make your own conclusions. One thing is true though: BACK UP YOUR SYSTEM. I lost all my data when I formatted the SSD. Thank goodness for Norton Ghost!

As far as performance, there is no question: this and all SSDs are like NOS to a race car. you WILL see the difference. I am too spoiled now. I am very inpatient when using my work PC.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 22, 2012 5:39 PM PST

Sony BDP-S185 Blu-Ray Disc Player (2012 Model)
Sony BDP-S185 Blu-Ray Disc Player (2012 Model)

5.0 out of 5 stars Why Pay more? This one does it all for less, January 6, 2012
I cannot believe that just a couple of months ago, you had to pay over $150 to get these features: Netflix, Pandora, and many more streaming services. It has faster loading times than most BD players that cost more, and it's smaller.
Now, for the things this player does NOT have:
* It does not do 3D
* It does not have an LCD screen (who uses it anyway?). The only thing it has is a on/off light. If it's on, the player its on.
* The buttons are little, and are placed on top of the player. Depending on where you're gonna place it, it may be a deal breaker for you. In my case, I have it on the lower shelf of my TV stand, and I love it, because it's easier for me to access them. With my old LG, I had to get on my knees to see what button I was pushing.
* It does NOT integrated WI-FI. I don't need it, because I already have an Apple Airport Express MB321LL/A [NEWEST VERSION], which extends my wi-fi network and gives me an extra Ethernet port behind my TV. If WI-FI is a must for you, then this is not your device.
* It's interface is equal to that of the PlayStation 3 and other Sony Blu-ray players. I had a Sony BDP-S480 Blu-ray Disc Player (Black)and I did not see any difference - just the difference in price and wi-fi!

So consider the features of this player and ask yourself which ones matter to you and if you're willing to shed the extra bucks for them. If so, then go for a different player. but if all you need is a cheap Blu-Ray player,don't care for 3D, or if you want to stream content but don't have a need for integrated wi-fi, then this is the one for you!

Sony 2.1 Personal Speakers (Black)
Sony 2.1 Personal Speakers (Black)

3.0 out of 5 stars Are these Multimedia speakers or an 80's boom box?, December 23, 2011
I think I would have gotten a better value by turning my Sony boombox from 1995 into computer speakers. For the price, these speakers rely on overwhelming bass. Also, all the controls are on the bass unit, so you can't hide it, or you will not be able to change the volume (without the remote), bass and treble. The satellite speakers are also huge. Keep in mind I was planning on using these as computer speakers. If you have other uses for them, maybe it will be a good value for you.

Logisys CLK12 12" Cold Cathode Kit with Single Tube, 3.0mm Tube Diameter, White
Logisys CLK12 12" Cold Cathode Kit with Single Tube, 3.0mm Tube Diameter, White
Offered by OutletPC
Price: $11.65
8 used & new from $4.99

3.0 out of 5 stars hard to place., December 23, 2011
You connect the pair of LED lights to a power adapter, which in turn is connected to the power supply. you get Velcro adhesives to attach this to the case. I attached the to my Cooler Master HAF 932 case, and both the lights and the power adapter fell within an hour. I had to secure them with zip ties now.
Other than that, it does the job

Page: 1 | 2