Profile for I'm Just Saying > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 23

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

I'm Just Saying RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Nature Parks KRUGER NATIONAL PARK South Africa
Nature Parks KRUGER NATIONAL PARK South Africa
DVD
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful look at Kruger, April 14, 2014
This documentary gives viewers a realistic look at what to expect when you visit Kruger National Park in South Africa. I enjoyed it and plan to view the show again. I hope to make it there in person some day.

Simple Life
Simple Life
11 used & new from $15.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Mac should be more popular. He is simply brilliant!, August 28, 2012
This review is from: Simple Life (Audio CD)
I had this on cassette many years ago when it was new. I eventually had to breakdown and buy the CD. Sometimes when driving down the road (no pun intended towards his song title), I hear someone covering one of Mac's songs on the radio and I chuckle to myself thinking, nobody can sing that song like Mac can. Several songs on this album have later become hits for other artists. Kenny Chesney comes to mind right away. He has made a fortune re-recording songs by Mac Mcanally. Good for him. He has good taste in song selection. If you have good taste, you will want this fine cd in your collection.

His lyrics are so pure....

"We learned in Sunday school who made the sun shine through..... I know who made the moonshine too... back where I come from......"

"Her mamma wants to know am I washed in the blood or just in the water".......

Mac has written songs for Jimmy Buffet, Alabama and many others. Kenny Chesney has re-recorded several from this album "Back where I come from" and "Down the road". He is a member of Jimmy Buffet's "The Coral Reefer Band". He has produced such artists and Restless Heart and Sawyer Brown. If you have stumbled onto this page and are not really familiar with Mac, I dare you to research his career. This man is no joke.

If you like singer songwriters, you will love Mac's style. He's one of the good ones. Two thumbs way up.

WWJD II: The Woodcarver
WWJD II: The Woodcarver
DVD ~ John Ratzenberger
Price: $5.00
42 used & new from $2.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Woodcarver is simple yet profoundly moving, August 28, 2012
This review is from: WWJD II: The Woodcarver (DVD)
This is a great family movie for 2012 filmed on various locations in British Columbia. I watched this movie on television recently and was quite moved by it. While the story line is different, it's as if "The Last Brickmaker in America" is a cookie cutter and they fit the woodcarver into the same mold. Having seen that fine film at least a dozen times, I could anticipate what was going to happen in this one in a couple of places. No matter, it is so touching that I didn't care.

The story is about a troubled teen Matthew Stevenson (played by Dakota Daulby) who acts out his frustration in a destructive manner by destroying some church property and damages some intricate woodwork formed by a master craftsman Ernest Otto (played by John Ratzenberger). John plays the part of Mr. Otto so well. He is soft spoken but his words resonate with those he talks to. The boy ends up working with Mr. Otto to help repair the damage he did. They quickly become friends and the boys attitude begins to change in a positive way. His father (played by Woody Jeffreys) really objects to his son helping Mr. Otto despite it being a punishment, as Mr. Otto is his competition so to speak in the construction business. Woody turns in a masterful performance as the boy's father.

I don't want to ruin the outcome, but I will say this, I don't think you could watch this movie from beginning to end and not be affected by it for the better. Whether or not you ascribe to the principles taught here, they will still ring true and stay with you for several days afterwards. If you haven't seen it, I can't recommend it highly enough. It's just wonderful. Obviously, it's family friendly. There is no objectionable material here.

Blackberry Curve 8300 / 8310 / 8320 / 8330 / 8800 / 8810 / 8820 / 8830 and the AT&T BOLD 9000 Leather Carrying & Protection Case (Perfect Fit) (ALL Carriers Such As Verizon Wireless, At&t, T-mobile, Alltel, Sprint, Us Cellular,
Offered by eToolscity
Price: $3.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Durable - I have used it with several phones, August 26, 2012
I bought this for my blackberry curve, but I have also used it with a newer version of the blackberry and another sanyo phone I carry. Its bigger than I need for the Sanyo, but it works just fine. I like the versatility as I carry two phones. One for business and one for personal use. Both fit easily and it's comfortable to wear. I have been very pleased with the quality and endurance of the product for the price point I paid. Highly recommended.

Necessary Parties
Necessary Parties
DVD ~ Adam Arkin
Offered by DVDXPRESSPLUS
Price: $6.99
11 used & new from $4.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Alan Arkin at his best - Two thumbs up, August 26, 2012
This review is from: Necessary Parties (DVD)
This movie aired on television as part of "PBS Wonderworks" around 1988. That fact alone should tell you all you need to know. I can't recall ever seeing anything on "PBS Wonderworks" that wasn't excellent. The premise is about a couple who have become really busy and can't make their marriage work anymore. They announce to their kids that they are getting a divorce. They have two kids, 14 year old Chris (Mark-Paul Gosselaar) and the much younger Jenny (Taylor Fry).

Chris refuses to accept what is assumed to be inevitable and decides to get an attorney (Archie Corelli played by Alan Arkin)to help him intervene in the divorce hearing and include him as a necessary party to the proceedings. One humorous fact is that he's only a licensed attorney. He doesn't officially practice law. His primary profession is as a mechanic. He is the mechanic for Chris's father. That's an interesting twist. Christ tried to tell his parents he is not sitting by and watching this happen. He tells them he is pursuing legal action but they don't take him serious until he shows up at the hearing with his attorney. They take it very serious at that point.

The story of divorce isn't new in cinema, but it isn't often considered from the viewpoint of the affected children. This movie ventures into new territory and is excellent clean family entertainment. Alan Arkin is always great. In truth, he is the glue that brings all of this movie together. He has that knack. The kids are excellent in this one too. Taylor Fry was very young in this one and continued her acting career for about 8 years after this film. Mark-Paul Gosselaar went on to star as Zach in the kids show "Saved by the Bell". That show strikes me as a bit cheesy but Mark actually showed some acting chops in this fine family movie. He continues acting to this day.

Buy this on DVD. You will love it. If you are looking for something along the same genre of kids taking their parents to court, see also "Switching Parents", also available here at Amazon. That's a heart gripping winner.

Past the Bleachers
Past the Bleachers
by Chris Bohjalian
4 used & new from $64.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Movie is better than this book, August 25, 2012
This review is from: Past the Bleachers (Hardcover)
This is a great story of a grieving couple who lost their young son. Their son loved baseball. The tale of how another young boy named Lucky Diamond suddenly comes into their lives is gripping and suspenseful. The subject of old wounds and the need to move on are balanced nicely here. Baseball fans would love the story line.

To be brief, just see the movie and skip the book. It is well written but in my opinion fatally and unforgivably flawed for the authors lapse in judgement. The young couple in the book want to have another child, but the repeated graphic depictions of their sexual acts is irresponsible. Parents should be warned not to let their young kids anywhere near this one.

I couldn't wait to read this book, as I really loved the movie, filmed in Lithonia Georgia but depicted as being in the north. The writer is gifted certainly, and it only takes reading a few random pages to see it. The movie handles sex more appropriately. Look, we all know where babies come from at this point... give it a rest. I found his descriptions in the book to be bordering on smut.

There is a fair amount of profanity as well, but it is usually brief. Too bad, cause it's an otherwise wonderful story. Its the first book I have read by the author and based on the objections I noted, it may be my last. It's a waste of a significant talent. He didn't add anything to the story with the profanity and smut. I had only read excellent reviews on this author so I was surprised to say the least.

If the objections I noted don't bother you, you will find yourself turning pages quickly. As I said, he is a gifted writer.

See the movie instead. It is a rare treasure. This is one of the few times where the movie is better than the book, much better in fact. That's just my two cents.

Tarzan - Season One: Part Two (4 Discs)
Tarzan - Season One: Part Two (4 Discs)
DVD ~ Ron Ely
Price: $44.68
23 used & new from $34.42

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the show - hate the DVD-R media, August 25, 2012
As delighted as I am that this fine tv series is being resurrected, I find myself increasingly dismayed at the manner in which it's being brought to the marketplace. This series deserves a proper release on DVD. Shame or Warner for not doing it right.

Still, all in all, I love this show and would be willing to purchase without hesitation. If I have to accept it on an inferior media, the price should reflect the disc quality. From what I have read, the quality is great on these episodes. I want to make a clear distinction in what I mean by quality. I simply mean the quality of a great picture and sound on the DVD-R media won't last for years and years like a regular proper dvd release. The price should reflect that. Make a backup right away is all I can suggest. Otherwise, in a few years, long after you would have any right to complain, you will have a disc with skips and has screen freezes. Don't say you were not warned. I still want it, but they will have to change the price point quite a bit first. 39.00 USD for half a season on inferior media is just robbery.

In any event, put this one on your want list. It is a great title. Let's hope Warner will see the error of their ways and give us a proper release. Their reputation for fine entertainment is just too good to let this continue.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 11, 2013 10:22 AM PST

Tarzan - Season One: Part One (4 Discs)
Tarzan - Season One: Part One (4 Discs)
DVD ~ Ron Ely
Price: $31.49
30 used & new from $29.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The Tarzan series really brings back memories, August 25, 2012
I recall as if it were only yesterday sitting in front of a small black and white television watching this tv series. It is one of my favorites from my childhood. The scenery depicting the African jungle contributed to my fascination with the entire African continent which endures to this day. My deep love for African wildlife was no doubt shaped by this show. I didn't know at the time the profound effect the show would have upon me.

From what I have read, they have done an excellent job in presenting these episodes I assumed would be lost forever. I am so glad to see them on the market finally. I only wish it was available as a regular dvd, not a DVD-r format. I believe that format will not hold up as long as a regular dvd. Make a backup is all I can tell you. Even in this format, I intend to buy, if they release both seasons. I am just waiting for the price to be a much more attractive. I refuse to pay the full going rate for a show that is placed on inferior media. That's what dvd-r is, inferior.

This set is no doubt like a time capsule from the second half of the 1960s. It should be treasured for the work of art that it surely is.

John Pinette: Still Hungry
John Pinette: Still Hungry
DVD ~ John Pinette
Offered by Media Favorites
Price: $9.49
47 used & new from $9.48

5.0 out of 5 stars John is a funny funny man, nice person too, August 23, 2012
This review is from: John Pinette: Still Hungry (DVD)
This DVD is just candy for any John Pinette fan. You just can't get enough of it.

John is one of those rare comedians who can talk about a single theme year after year and yet has audiences holding their sides. He talks a lot about food. You just never know where he's going with it. He is hilarious to say the least.

Some of the topics in this one are the cake boss, Haggis in Scotland, Gluten story, the extended warranty, the toaster adoption and my favorite about the beavertail which he had to ice skate to get to....(I would say nay nay). Why you ask, because a beavertail is fried dough covered in chocolate and M&Ms. and being John, he wanted one.....bad..... nuff said... bedlam ensues.......

I couldn't wait to get my hands on this dvd, since I knew it was about a half hour longer than the Comedy Central special where they aired a condensed version of it in August 2011. I hesitated to even watch the special on tv, because I knew I would be seeing John in person at the Sam's Town Casino in Tunica Ms. a few weeks later. I couldn't resist. I watched it all and was glad to hear some new material from John. He is in rare form in this one.

I have two of his previous DVDs(I say Nay Nay & I'm Starvin) which are most excellent in their own right. If you have those and are wondering about this one, it's just as good and perhaps a bit longer in length. It's an excellent value for the dollars.

It has some good extras. I especially enjoyed the part where he went outside a theater to meet some of his fans standing in the rain. I can tell you from experience that he is most gracious when interacting with his fans. There is not one bit of arrogance in him.

John has become famous talking about buffets and as fate would have it, on the day of his show, I was walking out of the casino into the lobby area next to the players club and the buffet, and there is John Pinette coming in the door. I'm sure I couldn't wipe the grin off of my face as I approached him and I know he could tell he had been spotted. He smiled and we shook hands. I told him I was a big fan and I didn't expect to run into him before the show. I had brought my two DVD covers with me in the hope I could get them signed. There I was speaking to him and didn't have them with me(dang it). When I told him this, without blinking I swear he raised his voice and said (as only he could).... "YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN I WOULD BE AT THE BUFFET!!!" and gestured to the entrance to the buffet 30 feet from where we stood. Needless to say, I was in stitches and somehow the autograph didn't matter anymore. I had a story to tell that I would never forget. He smiled again and we parted.

Later that night, I went to the show with my dvd covers in hand hoping maybe I could catch him after the show. Not only did he give us about an hour and forty minutes without hardly taking a breath so we could catch ours, I was in for another treat after the show. We heard side splitting story after story. It was so funny. That man ain't right! He told some old stories and many new ones. Some with a new twist which made them new again. I was very entertained.

After the show, John came out the side door beside the stage and came right out in front of the stage and greeted people, signed autographs and took pictures for about 30-45 minutes, at least. When he posed for pictures, he always made the people posing laugh, because he would go into character and say things like "You Go Now", or "Get out of the line", or "How big is a small?". Everyone laughed. It was like getting a whole other show experience. Needless to say, I got my two dvds signed and personalized with an inscription. It's a night I will never forget. On one of my dvds, he wrote "You go now!!! Best Wishes" and on the other one he wrote "The small is small, Best Wishes. If you don't know what those inside jokes mean, you haven't heard enough of John Pinette and you should buy all three of his dvds today. I have rarely seen a celebrity more concerned with making sure every fan who wanted to get the chance to meet and greet actually got it. He was in no hurry. It was very refreshing and will only serve to further endear him to everyone who was there that night. I can't say he does that every night, as I have only seen him once. I am sure some crowds would be too large, but I bet it's a regular activity for him. I think he really enjoyed it as much as the fans. He's just super.

For any on the fence about John Pinette, I would simply say this, experience his unique brand of raging comedy for yourself, whether on dvd or better yet in person. Once you do that just once, I think you will be a fan for life.... as am I. He's tops. This DVD rocks. Get it.

The Expendables 2
The Expendables 2
DVD ~ Jason Statham

4.0 out of 5 stars Stellar cast, lots of laughs, so so plot, August 22, 2012
This review is from: The Expendables 2 (DVD)
Well, I saw this at the movies a couple of days ago and I have to admit I was really entertained. The all star cast is what drew me to it. I wasn't disappointed at all. There are more than enough laughs and one liners that pay homage to earlier works of several characters. That's part of it's charm. If you are looking for a serious action thriller, look elsewhere. This one explodes enough stuff to start a world war, but it's no cinematic jewel. It has enough bullets flying to get you on the edge of your seat, but then is funny enough to knock you right off that edge. I won't mention the plot because it just happens to have a small one, but trust me, you won't care.....

It you just need some mindless entertainment, a few bullets and explosions and want to see some action heroes who can have fun making a parody of themselves, this is your ticket to a fun night of movie watching. Enjoy!..... I did.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3