Profile for D. Torgerson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Torgerson RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Fox Head Men's Ranger Short Glove, Grey, Large
Fox Head Men's Ranger Short Glove, Grey, Large
Offered by Extreme Supply

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made substantial gloves with the best quick removal system I've seen yet;), July 21, 2013
As the title says, these things are really well made. They're nice and thickish, but breathable and comfortable on the grips on long rides. I live in AZ so I got the light grey and the top of my hands don't heat up as much as my old black set. They are substantial though so I think they would work really well in some colder climates for sure.

By far what has turned out to be my favorite part (which I didn't even realize when ordering) is the two back-facing finger pockets at the end of the middle and ring fingers for quick removal. Grab those with your other hand, give a little tug, and they slide right off pretty effortlessly! No more fumbling around trying to work the damn things off when I'm taking a quick pit stop to cool down etc...very cool;) This may not be a new thing but it was new to me and these definitely have it just so you know.

You really can't go wrong with Fox- to find these things for 16 bucks or whatever they are now is an absolute score when most decent gloves are 30+ and really, I could see these going for $40-50 with the Fox logo and the quality. Just pick your favorite color and get them, you won't be disappointed;)

Schrader 20055 TPMS Nickel Plated Valve Core - Pack of 100
Schrader 20055 TPMS Nickel Plated Valve Core - Pack of 100
Price: $14.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Haven't had one fail yet!, December 17, 2012
I have basically a bike shop in my garage and do all my friends and neighbors work so these were a neccesity. There's not much to say, I haven't had any problems and I've probably used 25 of the 100. The biggest thing I use them for is replacing a Slime victim- if you don't do it right when releasing air and there's too much Slime in the stem it'll clog those things up to unusable.

They seem to be made well- I didn't count but it looked like a hundred and I believe they arrived in a timely manner. If you need valve cores, just get them in bulk, these will last you a long time.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Very cool- fits perfect on my 29er!!, December 17, 2012
Like the title says, these are extremely cool! I've had my hard tail for a year and a half and it came with those plastic feeling thicker rim liners- you know, the ones with the sharp edges (huh?) that have no grip essentially so they slide over to one side or another. This can be dangerous and on a few occasions when changing my tubes I found it had slid all the way up the side taking up the space under the rim lip so it was basically flush. No lippy, no catchy. Had problems getting the tire's bead seated a few times for about 5 inches as I inflated and this must've been why. If you don't catch it, it could be bad but I digress...

Got these today (they arrived in 2 or 3 days New York to Phoenix) and they are GREAT! If I had to imagine the material this type of thing would be made out of, it would be this stuff. Its almost like a thinner keychain lanyard (same type of material) with a slight rubbery/plasticy feel so it grips pretty well. No stretch really so it should last a long time and it looks cool too (though no one will ever see it lol). Just clean your rims first and they should stay put real well. I don't know why some reviews are saying it didn't seem like it would fit assuring you that it will as you keep working it, seemed perfect to me the whole time- of course it's gonna be tight getting it over the outside of the rim, it's the circumference of the center channel:) I was expecting a little struggle because of those reviews, but it went right on with no problem. I'm guessing that some of those are from people who don't do this type of thing very often so fear not, they'll fit if it's a 700c road or 29er.

The width is perfect at 17mm- I measured and they come in right at 11/16" so almost 3/4" wide. For a reference I have WTB FX28 29er wheels- they're 28mm from outside to outside- if your wheels are anywhere in there you're good. Really, I believe these would work for any bike rim of this diameter, but incase you want to check and make sure.

Took a ride on them today with no issues of course so snag these if you need them, it was one of the best prices (considering delivery charges from these non amazon bike shops-which is rediculous because of course they'll use usps for this teeny pkg) and Ritchey is awesome so you can't go wrong;)

Axiom Power Bag 2 Top Tube Bag
Axiom Power Bag 2 Top Tube Bag

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Bag!...UNTIL I took it off to clean my bike...., December 16, 2012
Let me start by saying that I love the concept/looks and this bag is made well according to their design on paper....Unfortunately, I noticed some flaws right away as I was mounting it.

The straps (one that goes horizontally around the head tube (vertical front tube that holds the steerer tube, handlebars etc..), and one starting at the bottom of the bags on either side that goes around the down tube. Now I know this bag has to fit a LOT of different styles of bikes, but I can't think of one that this would secure well to. By that I mean just looping a strap around the bottom of an inclined down tube isn't securing it at all...just keeping the bags from flopping away from the bike frame really. As you sinch it up, it simply climbs the tube towards the front. It really doesn't have the velcro for the return connection in the right place either- for my bike it was too long so just the tail end of the velcro catches when sinched appropriately.

I thought it seemed akward and poorly designed, but chalked it up to the different bikes and began loading it up with emergency gear etc. I put my cell on the left mesh side, an extra tube, patches, and a little dough on the right, my handy bike tool in the center skinny pocket on top (which was obviously what this pocket is meant for) and started riding. Right away I had to keep readjusting it as it slipped to the heavier side like I knew it would. I got used to it for a few weeks....until I removed it to clean my bike and saw what it did to my f@#$ing paint!

IT HAD WORN A HALF INCH PATCH UNDER THE TOP POCKET CLEAN THROUGH TO THE ALUMINUM ON MY BRAND NEW EXPENSIVE MOUNTAIN BIKE!!! I....WAS....FURIOUS! The unsecured bag (not to mention no padding under that pocket) and the weight of my bike tool had sanded the paint right down. I eventually decided that I liked it enough to McGuyver something to protect/secure it like it should have been in the first place- the damage was already done. I put a strip of adhesive velcro about four inches long underneath the top pocket and stuck the corresponding mate to the underside of the bag itself. Not only is the velro great padding, but it also secured the bag (at least top) extremely well to the bike. Problem solved....I thought. I rode for a few more weeks until it was time to wash the bike and again removed it.

That's when I noticed- THE BAG HAD SANDED PATCHES DOWN TO THE ALUMINUM ON THE SIDES OF THE TOP TUBE AND DOWN TUBE!! Not only that but when I inspected further, it was pressing my cable hausing into the frame on both sides of the head tube and wearing patches there too!!! And THEN I noticed that the lower front corners of both side bags wore notches (like 1/8" deep x 1/4" wide) into the crown of my expensive fork!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well folks, I think you can guess that furious doesn't even begin to cover it at this point. I mean I'm a mountain bike rider with no delusions so I know my bike's gonna get some scratches and I spent a little more to get a bike that could take some abuse but never did I think that my biggest cosmetic blemishes and marring was going to come from a little bag!!! I mean this little thing DESTROYED the paint and even wore notches into that front intersection of the frame on my bike. Its so ugly that I decided to velcro everywhere underneath it and just keep it on to cover it all up until I can get it touched up. Rediculous.

I guess the moral of the story is that the bag not being secured because of those straps (or lack there of) that I noticed in the very beggining came back to bite me in the butt. At this point I'm very tempted to contact the company to see what they'll do if anything. All I can do now is leave this review so that others don't have to share my fate or at least you'll be aware of the problem if you do decide to purchase this little gem;)

UPDATE 8/15/13:
It's been almost exactly a year now and I'm still using the bag. As I said before, the damage is already done and I have thick Velcro patches underneath all contact points. I was angry when I wrote this review but I have to admit (as I said even then) that I like the design (everything's right there to grab) and it's well made. The bag has lasted with no issues (besides the obvious huge one) thru some rough stuff AFTER I velcro'd it down and padded it appropriately.

Let this review serve as a cautionary tale. The moral of the story is: IF YOU'RE GOING OFF ROAD AT ALL, PAD UNDERNEATH THE POCKETS AND CONTACT AREAS or you'll end up like me.

Ps- I know the knee-jerk reaction when reading a really negative review is to give it a thumbs down, but someone found this review unhelpful....really? Lol! I was a bike mechanic and have ridden for years with many different types of bags/bikes and this is just the kind of info that I scan the reviews FOR before making a purchase. You have to take reviews with a grain of salt (some ppl have no business trying to install/build certain products and you can tell it was their error etc...), but when someone clearly knows what they're talking about and is warning of a problem, I appreciate them making me aware of it. It's a great bag that will sand your paint for you if you go off road, want to actually carry something in the pockets, and don't take some precautions before installing. I hope this review has helped someone;)

Rubena Thorn Resistant Bicycle Presta 33mm Valve Tube (Black)
Rubena Thorn Resistant Bicycle Presta 33mm Valve Tube (Black)
Price: $6.46 - $9.19

1.0 out of 5 stars They have the wrong size posted....AGAIN (on the 29 option), September 29, 2012
Like I said, they have the wrong size on the 29 version. It says 1.0- 2.0 but they're obviously to skinny so I looked right on the top of the box and it says 1 1/2- 1 5/8. I can't speak to the quality of the product (tho I have to agree with the other review- these things don't feel thick at all) so the one star is for the experience.

I've ordered practically everything thru amazon for the last year and a half and am pleased with everything else- customer service, prices, delivery time (I'm a prime member), but these guys seem to have the hardest time putting accurate information in their descriptions. As I look back, almost all of the problems I have had have been in sporting goods. Sometimes the product descrip or main title and the product details actually contradict one another. For me, it's kind of shocking that a strictly web based store could mess up so frequently on the very info we need to make the purchase.

This one was a real bummer because I'm out of commission and needed the tubes for a ride I was taking. Now I have to scramble to a store and pay whatever they charge there. This one was a major inconvenience for me so I thought I would pop on here and let everyone know that if it still says 1.0- 2.0 it's wrong on the 29 size.

Osprey Viper 4-Litre Hydration Pack (Supernova, One Size)
Osprey Viper 4-Litre Hydration Pack (Supernova, One Size)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product with a slightly misleading title:), September 19, 2012
As the title says, I was a little dissapointed when the product arrived. Maybe I'm an idiot but it looks like it's saying it is a 4 liter pack....it's not. It's a 2 liter pack. It does say 2 liter reservoir in the product details (I see now) which I know that I read so I must've had 4 liter stuck in my head and didn't notice it. The name of the product is the Osprey Viper 4...I still find it a little suspect that they put the "4-liter" in this particular way in the title: "Osprey Viper 4-Litre Hydration Pack"...no other store has it listed this way. I've noticed inconsistant messaging from title, to picture, to product details, to product description quite a bit more than I'd like from amazon particularly in sporting goods so that you don't know which info is correct at times. It doesn't take away from it being an awesome product at a good price (or it was when I bought it), but it was definately a bummer when it arrived and I realized it was half of what I expected so just be aware:) "Osprey Viper 4" and then "Liter pack?" How many liter pack? I just noticed that they did that to the title of the viper 4, 7, 10, and 13 too so no mistake. The 4 is close enough to be believed is the problem, and I might be mistaken but I think only the 4 and 7 were available when I ordered mine. On the Raptor, they title it "Osprey Raptor 4 Daypack" so they would've been WAY better off labeling it Osprey Viper 4 Hydration Pack but I digress:)

It's been a great pack, the Osprey brand in general feels more solid and well built to me than Camelback. The rare earth magnet is a GREAT feature- it keeps the mouth piece right where you need it for quick grabs and replants which is really nice for the mountain biking that I mostly use this for. The bladder seems really well constructed and I like the rigid spine on it...it makes it REALLY easy to slip in and out of the pack with any amount of water in it and theres no need to hang the bladder in the pack like camelback.

It has several zipper pockets and a place for keys and things on the shoulder strap which is nice though I don't use that one- its open elastic top..doesn't seem ideal for keys or something when I'm hitting jumps and workin the trail. My favorite feature besides the rare earth magnet is the helmet holder. It has a tab that slips thru the vent hole on your helmet then flattens out across the hole and pulls it tight to the back of the pack with adjustable elastic cording...no dangling helmets here:) The shed layer elastic cords are nice too. All in all its the best small to medium excursion hydration pack I've checked out and I would highly recommend it:)

QUICK TIP: Turn the bladder upside down and use the mouth piece to suck all of the air out of it after filling to eliminate the water sloshing around- you're basically vacuum packing the water in the bladder to eliminate annoying noise and weight shifts!!! There's no way for air to get in so as you drink, the bladder stays held against the water. This may be common knowledge, but it helped out alot when I first learned it and thought I'd pass it along:)

TCL L40FHDP60 40-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV with 2 Year Limited Warranty (Black) (2012 Model)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great solid tv with NO input lag for gaming or computers, September 19, 2012
Just like the title says, there is virtually no input lag on this tv. I went from a tube tv in the bedroom (tube tv's having no input lag whatsoever just straight monitor) to this, and it's practically identical feeling only it's 1080p and it looks great! The game I tested it on is Modern Warfare 3 on my PS3 (the ultimate lag testing game-I can't think of anything faster paced) and I tested it with Halo Reach on my Xbox 360 when I first got it this afternoon to make sure it worked and it did great on that too. There was another review that mentioned he had tested it on a couple games and it didn't seem to have input lag, but he didn't mention WHAT games so I was still unsure as you wouldn't really notice as sharply on most games. I took a chance and I am here to tell you that I felt in control and no lag the whole time- super pleased! Got straight on here to let you guys know because I saw a few people asking about it in the comments on other reviews and its a major concern especially if that's the bulk of what you're going to be doing with it:)

I've had the input lag problem with several tv's including my Toshiba 46" 1080P 240hz in the living room that doesn't feel right totally. It even has game mode which basically cancels extra processing and speeds up the image response like .33hz or something to combat input lag. I believe the fact that this TCL TV is 60hz is a contributing factor to it's lack of input lag. No overprocessing which you don't need with a good hdmi signal from the source anyway, just a good solid 1080p responsive picture. Don't get me wrong, this tv has bells and whistles too, but I think the Toshibas problem (only concerning input lag) is the 240hz and the other processing it does to put out an amazing picture- takes more time to think. When I pan my character's view around in a game it's very hard to stop where I want to consistantly. It even feels like it speeds up as you swing around (like the processor's catching up which is typical of tvs with input lag) making it almost impossible to zero in on a specific spot or opponent accurately at least before they get you:) It does totally fine on most games, but split second timing reflexive games I really notice it.

For those of you that don't know what input lag is, it's a processing delay in displaying the image from the source (when you move it should move steadily and consistantly) that is really only noticeable when gaming (or using the tv as a monitor for your computer-you'll find controlling your mouse much more difficult etc...) because you are actually controlling the image and know when you told it to do what. It doesn't affect viewing movies or anything of that nature because it could have a 5 SECOND delay on when it displays the movie and we'd never know it. It's only a matter of milliseconds, but completely changes the feel of controlling your character especially in fast paced precision movement type games. The image you see is not accurately reporting what you're hands are telling it to do and it makes it very difficult to play (or at least a very akward and sluggish feeling).

On the other aspects: this tv is very vibrant with good color contrast, viewing angles seem to be great, I'm not noticing a bunch of motion blur, and it's a very similar looking picture to my much more expensive tv. I've been looking for a bdrm tv for a while waiting for a good deal and this is BY FAR the best deal I've seen. I would've been happy with 720p at this price. I didn't want to spend too much and was origionally looking at 32" 720p tv's that were around $300, so when this popped up on the screen with 4 1/2 stars from so many customers I was definately interested and started reading reviews.

There seems to be a common problem with this TV showing up DOA or with other malfunctions that definately made me nervous. It had me thinking maybe the components inside aren't secured well enough and/or breaking from shipping jostling or some other OEM defect so even if it arrives fine, it could quit working after moving or something. After looking at it though, and putting it thru some initial paces and comparing to the pic on my other tv, I don't think that this will happen. It seems like a pretty solid unit. It could have been a bad batch or being thrown around by the delivery people or anything really, though it doesnt instill a lot of confidence. After seeing it and having all of my requirements completely met and surpassed, I would say that if you get a bad one take advantage of Amazon's awesome return policy and have 'em send you another because I believe you won't be disappointed. If something goes wrong down the road there's a 2 year warranty so there's not much to worry about (although some are saying the OEM's customer service isn't great)- you'll still be able to get it taken care of eventually. A warranty's a warranty. Just come back and tell people what happened on here- that seems to get their attention as one review I read seemed to infer.

I just got it this afternoon so I'll update if anything of note happens, but as it stands you can't beat the price and the quality seems to be there too! Great product so far, and an unbeatable price on a 40" 1080p tv!

UPDATE 2/2/2012: It's been a week, absolutely no problems, good solid operation. I popped back on to say that I too checked the back of the display panel through the vent holes and it DOES say SAMSUNG on it which doesn't suprise me considering the great picture. I notice motion blur a little watching streaming vids now, but you have to be looking for it and it's to be expected with a 60hz refresh rate. Don't notice it gaming though. Still a great product for the money. Oh, and the buttons on the remote stick for a sec after being pushed...kinda weird but it's gotten better already.

UPDATE 4/21/2012: Still going strong after 3 months! I havent noticed it lately, but I did notice it making ticking noises as it cooled down after shutting it off. It sounded like a baseboard heater popping and cracking (not near as loud but you get the idea). I don't think it's done that for a month or so now. It was probably just "settling in" but I was a little concerned about that for a while. Overall the picture is still great- it's darker overall than my other one- not as much contrast in the blacks but that's to be expected. Hey, it's a $300 tv, but at least it has a Samsung screen! Gaming is still as good as ever- perfect control.

UPDATE 9/19/2012: I love this tv. It's still doing just fine and I tend to watch more of this one than my living room tv so LOTS of hours on it now. It's still got the ticking sometimes for a bit when I turn it off as it cools down, but it's still great other than that. I noticed the price went up $100 tho since I purchased it which puts it in competition with some other decent brands- not the smokin deal that it was. I can say that I've had a good experience with it tho and the warranty's pretty cool so best of luck with your tv hunting:)
AMMENDMENT: I just saw that there is another prime option for this tv that is $360 so that's only $30 more than I paid and is still well worth it:)

UPDATE 12/31/2012: I have now moved my XBOX 360 in to the bdrm with the PS3 because I can't even game anymore on my Toshiba. Don't get me wrong, Toshiba's game mode makes it much better, but there's still no comparison- this tv has dang near 0 input lag. Other than that, picture looks great and haven't had any other issues at all. I recently played on a Samsung 50" 3d lcd and it had VERY noticeable lag as well- This was the best purchase I made the whole year:)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 4, 2012 4:31 PM PDT

CST Critter Tire - 29 x 2.10
CST Critter Tire - 29 x 2.10
Offered by Niagara Cycle Works
Price: $12.21
2 used & new from $12.21

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty decent tires, June 6, 2012
I got these about a month and a half ago and have taken 5 or so serious rides on them. They are very fast rolling and seem to have good traction on pavement and hardpack and do ok on gravel. I can definitely get it to slide out easier on any surface than my last tires (wtb velociraptors) though, which are reported to be among the best for my region (phoenix) and they're just great tires so obviously there will be some differences with a tire in this price range. I had also just got some Panaracer Rampage's 2.35" which are great tires for traction but the weight and rolling resistance (I ride xc) made me want to go back to 2.1" faster rolling tires so I found these. So you are probably going to notice a little less traction especially in loose conditions because of the lower profile knobs, but it hasn't been a problem at all.

I was concerned that they were single ply with no puncture protection (the folding version DOES have puncture protection but not the wire bead it said on their site), but I haven't had any flats or punctures and I ride on knife blade-like shale and have cholla cactus which has 1 1/2"+ free-rolling balls of spikes that'll go through your flip flop like its nothing. I obviously haven't hit any cholla balls cause no tire will stop those, but I am impressed that they've held up on the trails I ride with shale rock gardens and jumps here and there.

When I got them, I was very impressed with how little rolling resistance they had...the feel like a road tire almost on pavement- these things are fast!

There's definitely some drawbacks, but if you're on a budget like I was these will do really nicely and they'll probably be faster rolling than the ones you're replacing:)

UPDATE 2/26/2013: It's been 9 or 10 months now and I haven't had any real problems to speak of. I was getting quite a few flats as they don't have much protection built in and knobby's are pretty short and have now worn down so stuff can get at the actual tire, but again, nothing can be done about cactus thorns. I've switched to a thorn resistant tube and haven't had any probs since. The thorn resistant tube will do NOTHING to stop the thorns (except providing more thickness to get thru for shorter thorns) but I've found that the thicker wall provides more material down the puncture hole for the slime (which is a prerequisit for riding here) to interact with and grab onto creating a good seal. Thinner regular tubes just didn't seem to have quite enough wall thickness for the slime to create a lasting plug. Just a tip that's worked awesome for me- not even carrying the heavy extra tube anymore. The tires are worn almost down now- I'm gonna guess that It's been about 800 miles- 60% road, 40% trail so they've served me pretty well and I'd still recommend them.

Shimano Deore M591 Crankset with Bottom Bracket (175mm, 44/32/22)
Shimano Deore M591 Crankset with Bottom Bracket (175mm, 44/32/22)
Offered by Niagara Cycle Works
Price: $99.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good crankset with external bearing bottom bracket, February 10, 2012
I bought this for a project bike about 3 months ago and have taken quite a few rides with it now. I feels solid, shifts smoothly, and it's built well as it should be for Deore level. This replaced a medium level Truvativ set and feels more solid and better shifting.

It's definately a pretty decent deal with the included bottom bracket which is EXTERNAL BEARING by the way (it didn't say when I purchased it) with the standard spacers for 68mm openings. The shell (the cylindrical opening on your bike frame where the bottom bracket goes) on mtb's generally is 68 or 73mm so if your shell width (measured side to side thru the cylinder) is 68mm, you'll need to put the spacers (basically plastic washers) on to bring it to 73mm (typically one spacer on non-drive side and two on the drive side) but it explains all of this in the fairly decent instuctions as well. External bearing is the better option in my opinion because the bearing points have a wider stance that translates to better power transfer, less flexing etc. I have both square taper and external bearing on other bikes. The bottom bracket that I replaced with this one was square taper and I definately noticed a difference in flex while riding.

It is pregreased though I used some of my own waterproof grease for the threads etc. I believe it is installable right out of the box, though, with a bead of grease around the shaft openings. You'll need an external bearing wrench or adapter such as Park Tool Bottom Bracket Tool - BBT-19 to tighten the cups. If you are replacing a square taper, it'll work just fine and you'll need some specific tools to get the cranks off and remove the old bottom bracket-I'll list them cause it took me a while to figure out what type I had and what tools I needed back when I started. You'll need a crankpuller such as Park Tool Crank Puller - CCP-22 to remove the crank arms, and a bottom bracket star type adapter such as Park Tool BBT-22 Shimano Sealed Cartridge Bottom Bracket Tool to remove (unscrew) the bottom bracket on both sides. I recommend Park Tool highly, but there other versions that may be a little cheaper that will work too- just read reviews. There are helpful vids on YouTube that show you how to remove/install bottom brackets and anything else really done by pro bike mechanics and garage monkeys alike.

The only thing I wasn't pleased with at all was the "Deore" on the crank arms rubs off VERY easily (thus the four stars). The letter at the end of the word closest to the pedals on both sides was significantly faded after the first ride and is now gone just from shoe rub (like a scratchit lottery ticket)...thanks Indonesia!!! Makes your brand new crankset look older right away...irritating, but only cosmetic and it's still a good purchase.

Hope this was helpful- Amazon didn't say enough about it so I figured I'd cover what they didn't. I had to hope it was the kind I wanted and wouldn't you know it, it was!
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 1, 2012 5:38 PM PDT

TCL L40FHDF12TA 40-Inch 1080p 60 Hz LCD HDTV with 2-Year Warranty (2011 Model)
TCL L40FHDF12TA 40-Inch 1080p 60 Hz LCD HDTV with 2-Year Warranty (2011 Model)

5.0 out of 5 stars Gamers/Computer monitor folks-virtually no input lag on a suprisingly good all around tv with a Samsung screen!!!!, January 25, 2012

Page: 1 | 2