Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation
Profile for D. Blankenship > Reviews

Browse

D. Blankenship's Profile

Customer Reviews: 3826
Top Reviewer Ranking: 42

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Blankenship RSS Feed (The Ozarks)
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Flash Gold (The Flash Gold Chronicles Book 1)
Flash Gold (The Flash Gold Chronicles Book 1)
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty impressive bit of writing here folks., May 28, 2016
If you need a quick and inexpensive and very well written Steam Punk fix set in the wild west, then do by all means latch on to this one! It is a short and fast read...far too short as far as I am concerned, but sets the stage for much, much more to come.

This work is obviously a set up for more to come and I feel the author has jumped upon a great concept and story line. Yes, I agree with a number of other reviewers that more emphasis needs to be placed on world building (of course world building is sort of ‘my thing,’ and is something I look for in this particular genre) but I am willing to give the author a break here in lieu of what is more to come...I am sure. This is most certainly a good and impressive start.

I suppose that bottom line is that the author has given us some wonderful, dynamic, funny an believable characters and now she needs to give them a like world to live in...a world with more background and a world for her characters to romp in.

Recommend this one highly.

If You Were Me and Lived in...Colonial America (An Introduction to Civilizations Throughout Time) (Volume 4)
by Carole P. Roman
Price: $14.99
7 used & new from $10.96

5.0 out of 5 stars An old story retold and retold quite well!, May 28, 2016
After giving us a wonderful series concerning the live of children from around the world; different cultures, Carole P. Roman has no turned her pen to presenting our children with a series which take them, again – around the world, but this time back through time. How did children live in the past? Were they different? What did they face, eat, wear, read...how did they play and what where their families like?

The story of the Pilgrim Colony is a well known tale which has been told many times but I must say that a retelling of this story is no worse for wear, especially in the hands of an author such as Roman who has completely targeted children and their place.

They author has not downplayed the hardships these folks faced in this new world but has presented it in a fashion that will not be overly alarming for the young reader. Ms Roman has presented the story in a very readable manner and her research is quite good and quite precise. As with everything, there is an upside and a down side and the author has chosen to present the upside in this work, leaving some of the dubious action of this particular group of people to be studied at a later date when they are older and more apt to understand.

All aspects of the society and what they faced are addressed in this wonderful work which has been enhanced by some great artwork by Sarah Wright. Housing, clothing, food, religion, recreation (what little there was), farming, hunting, education and family life have all been given a close look. I was impressed with the fact that the book made the observation that these were some of the most clueless (my description, not the authors) settlers ever to hit the New World shore but despite this they were able to survive.

There is much for our children and grandchildren to learn in this little book. The author has given us a great glossary of terms and a list (along with portraits) of leading people of this group. This book is ideal for use in the classroom and is ideal for the home schoolers.

The Andre Norton MEGAPACK ®: 15 Classic Novels and Short Stories
The Andre Norton MEGAPACK ®: 15 Classic Novels and Short Stories
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Visiting old friends, May 28, 2016
Good grief, what can you say about having access to a collection like this?

Andre Norton was one of the first SiFi writers I read...and that was many, many years ago. I laugh now, but as an 11 year old kid I thought Norton was male...that was way back in the 1950s and at that place, in that time, we most certainly did not have an information overload.

Any, I read her writing (I think the book was ‘Star Man’s Son’) and have been reading her work every since. Around 60 years of hanging with one author – wow.

To be honest I still enjoy and appreciate her work as much now as I did than. I love having access to this collection. While I have many of her books in paper back; some of which cost only .35 cents when I purchased them, they are getting pretty ratty and to be frank – they are falling apart in many cases.

Recommend this collection for any Norton fan and any SiFi fan.

Michael Kors Men's Dylan Black Watch MK8445
Michael Kors Men's Dylan Black Watch MK8445
Price: $250.00
2 used & new from $163.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Big, heavy and attractive...keeps good time, May 27, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a large watch, which seems to be the current trend, and it is most certainly a hefty thing, coming in at around 4.50 oz. I personally found this watch to be quite attractive. That being said though, watches are such a personal thing that it sort of comes down to what one may find attractive, another will not. Fortunately in this day and age there is not end to the selection available to everyone in every price range.

One of the most important aspects of this time piece is that it does keep good time. I have had mine running for over two weeks not and it is still spot on – no gain; no loss. Of course time will tell (no pun intended) as to accuracy, but I do own two other Michael Kors and can attest to the fact these watches do work well and do keep good time. The other watches ‘may’ need minor adjustments about once every 6 or 7 months.

This watch does include a calendar and a stopwatch function. The band is of a silicone material and I note that there is absolutely no stretching as you so often find with this sort of band...I like that.

While the watch is not rated as ‘water proof,’ it is most certainly water resistant which is fine for my use as I no longer dive and unless I fall out of a boat or something have no intention of any underwater adventures.

The watch is gold colored which is my personal preference. The time is easy to read.

The only complaints (they are not really complaints; merely personal preferences) would be that I personally prefer leather bands. I must say though that if I cannot have leather, the material used here is a good second best for me. I also note that since this is so heavy that it does affect my golf swing somewhat. I feel this is more psychological on my part than anything else though...it does not take much to throw my swing off.

I have a lot of watches and do not carry a smart phone...hey, I am old. This one is a great addition to my collection and I have already found that I am wearing it quite often.

Everybody Behaves Badly: The True Story Behind Hemingway's Masterpiece The Sun Also Rises
by Lesley M. M. Blume
Price: $21.28

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a very well done work!, May 25, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
All my life I have been fascinated by Hemingway the writer and more specifically, Hemingway the man. As a matter of fact I collect biographies of Hemingway and have several quite long shelves devoted to nothing buy Hemingway biographies. (I have the same fascination for Lyndon B. Johnson too, but that is a different story...collect his biographies also...when you examine the life of both of these men you find they share many of the same traits).

Now despite my curiosity about this most famous of American authors, I am not a particular big fan of his novels although I must admit to being very impressed with his short stories. But hey, that is just me.

Now for those of you who are Hemingway fans and have read many of the dozens and dozens of biographies available today, you may feel that the subject of this writer, and all aspects of his life, have been pretty well covered over, and over and over again, in particular since the completion and publication of Michael Reynolds’ five volume – and indeed they have. Readers will find little ‘new’ information in this volume by Lesley M. M. Blume.

BUT...

I have to tell you that Ms. Blume has narrowed the overall Hemingway story down and examined a specific period of his life; the period of his early development as a writer and the background story and how his breakout novel, ‘The Sun Also Rises’ evolved and became one of the tipping points in American literature. She, the author, has used a different voice and while she does go over well plowed ground, she allows us readers to examine this period of Hemingway’s development as an author through fresh eyes. I will be honest, she covers this time period even better than Reynolds did...and that is say a lot! You might say she out Reynolds, Reynolds.

As most who have studied the novel, The Sun Also Rises know, the characters of the story were based on real people – friends of Hemingway’s and the episode is a somewhat fictionalized account of what really happened during that ill fated trip to Spain and the bull fights.

The author gives us an inside look into the life and personality of not only E. Hemingway, but also quite a number of literary giants of that era. She gives us a very thought provoking look at some of the many personality traits of one of our greatest authors and most certainly addresses the fact that he was a very flawed brilliant man and writer.

I enjoyed this book, learned from it and for me it was absolutely a page turner. I highly recommend this for anyone interested in the life of Hemingway and interested in the evolution of American literature.

Lesley M.M. Blume is a most impressive writer!

If You Were Me and Lived in...Renaissance Italy (An Introduction to Civilizations Throughout Time) (Volume 2)
by Carole P. Roman
Price: $14.99
5 used & new from $10.97

5.0 out of 5 stars This author's work just gets better and better, May 24, 2016
This is yet another addition to Carole P. Roman’s wonderful “if you were me” series. This time Carole takes her young readers back in time to over 500 years ago at the end of medieval times (around the later part of the 1400s) to Italy and what we now refer to as The Renaissance.

What a wonderful idea this is. The age group to which this book is directed has little exposure to this important period of time even though it was one of those minor tipping points in history as the world was changing once again after a stultifying period. Much of the ideas in art, science, literature and social attitude changed, and many of those changes are very much with us even to this day. I must admit to being particularly thrilled with this offering due to the fact that this is a period in human history that has always held a great fascination to me.

Carole Roman, along with artist and illustrator Silvia Brunetti have presented our children and grandchildren a wonderful and informative little book which sums up this period of time quite well and presented the information in a fashion that is not only fun but easy to understand and of course is extremely informative.

Now do take note: This period, like most periods in human history, most certainly had a very, very dark side. Fortunately the author has chosen to write around that and left that sort of information for older student; students that are better equipped to handle such matters.

The book includes a gallery of famous people (the movers and shakers) of that time along with a nice little portrait of each and what that individual’s contribution was. She also includes a very nicely done glossary of terms.

This book gives a great overview of what it would have been like to have been a young child during this pivotal period in Western History; what they ate, how they dressed, family make up, recreation, education, music, home life and housing – it is all there. This is a wonderful book for a child’s library, for use in school and is ideal for home school use.

The Practical Ornithologist
The Practical Ornithologist
by John Gooders
25 used & new from $0.72

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written, great photographs and a nice colleciton of information - wonderful additon to my collection, May 24, 2016
This interesting and indeed, informative work, was first published in England in 1989. Some of the material, particularly that addressing optics and such, will be a bit dated but most of the other information is as current today as it was when the book was first published.

Basically this book is targeted for the beginning or mid level birder. This IS NOT a field identification guide. No, what it does cover, and at some depth, are the basics of bird watching. It covers the equipment available and necessary, bird habitat, i.e. where to find bird, basic bird behavior, anatomy, habitat, migration patterns, nesting habits...well, just about every aspect of the hobby of birding/bird watching.

One of the strongest points in this book are the wonderful photographs; not only of birds of bird habitat from around the world. Photography is top of the line.

While this most certainly is not the beginning and ending of all bird books, or books covering the various aspects of birding, it never-the-less holds a great amount of very interesting information and it is presented in a very readable manner.

I collect bird books; have for years, and this was a nice addition to my collection and I learned much reading through it.

This is one of those books I picked-up at a library sale...I do love those library sales!

Fujifilm FinePix XP90 Blue Waterproof digital camera (Blue)
Fujifilm FinePix XP90 Blue Waterproof digital camera (Blue)
Offered by Roberts LP
Price: Click here to see our price
20 used & new from $159.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Very versitle and takes a fine picture...good camera for the cost, May 24, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I do a lot of hiking, walking and rambling about the woods. One of my favorite hobbies is “creek wading,” a hobby fraught with the possibilities of taking a dunking at any given time...particularly at my extreme advanced age.

This is the ideal camera for my particular interests. It is rugged, easy to use, water proof and most importantly, takes better than average pictures for a camera in this price range. It most certainly does a better job than any of our three smart phones and the water proof aspect, in my case, makes it a no brainer as to what to haul along with me on my jaunts. With this and my old faithful and almost indestructible ancient flip phone I am pretty well covered.

Once you figure out how the camera works, it is quite easy to use. The only complaint I have is that the directions that came with the camera are absolutely wretched a pretty well useless. I was forced, being a non-techy type of person, to go to their web sight and do some digging. All in all though, now that I found out how to use the basics on this I must admit that it takes very nice pictures and it is a wonderful addition to my arsenal of toys that make my life more enjoyable.

The one missing star is due to the lousy directions that came with the camera.

Buffalo Games Whalers Bay by Charles Wysocki Jigsaw Puzzle (1000 Piece)
Buffalo Games Whalers Bay by Charles Wysocki Jigsaw Puzzle (1000 Piece)
Price: $12.99
19 used & new from $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasure to work on and beautiful when completed, May 24, 2016
Right off the start this puzzle had two things going for it. First, we love the work of Charles Wysocki. Second, for the price, Buffalo Games puzzles are of excellent quality and actually far better built and constructed than brands which cost far more. The cuts on this one are quite precise and fit well together. The colors on the completed puzzle are a treat for the eye.

This particular puzzle is a bit different than most Wysocki paintings as it is far less cluttered and there are more open areas than in most. This is both good and bad; depending upon what your personal taste is. We personally like the more cluttered or “busy” scenes but I will tell you that this one was never-the-less a delight to complete.

I note here that we have at least one reviewer who notes missing pieces. Folks, this happens and happens with every brand of puzzle. I will say that out of the 50 or 60 Buffalo Games puzzles we have completed over the years only one has had missing pieces and truth be told, I could not swear to you that the one missing pieces was the fault of the factory or if the cat we had at the time ate it. On the other hand, missing pieces do happen and it is one of the risks you take when purchasing such an item.

This one was pleasing to the eye when completed. Buffalo pieces, in general, all are nearly the same shape and you have to look closely to make sure you have the right piece in the right place. This does not bother us all that much though and actually adds to the challenge. I would rate this one about a 6 in difficulty on a scale of 1 through 10, with ten being the most difficult.

I appreciate the bonus posters which are always included with this brand of puzzle.

This puzzle, like all we complete as we listen to books on CDs (have been doing that for years), will be donated to a local long term care facility or to the local library and we would encourage all to do so as these things are needed by others.

This was purchased at a local hobby shop and I must admit that we paid about three dollars less than what is offered here. The problem is though, that the local hobby shop and big box stores do not always have the particular puzzle we are looking for but I must say we can always find what we need here on Amazon if push comes to shove.

Titleist Perma Soft Golf Glove (White, Mens LEFT Cadet) 2013 Cabretta
Titleist Perma Soft Golf Glove (White, Mens LEFT Cadet) 2013 Cabretta
Price: $15.90 - $34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I do like these gloves, May 23, 2016
Golf gloves and socks; if I could be accused of having a fetish of some sort I suppose these two items would be at the top of the list. Since this is not a review of socks I will ignore that aspect of my personality in this review.

I go though a lot of golf gloves; always have and after over 50 years of play I suppose not much will change. I have recently been using these Titleist – MLH Perma Soft Gloves and have been delighted with them. Right from the get-go they meet my first requirement...they are made of leather! I personally despise synthetic gloves as I simply do not like the feel of the things and when they get damp they get sort of slimy feeling and it gives me the creeps. This of course is a personal preference and I most certainly do not throw stones or spit of people who like synthetic gloves...to each his or her own I say.

Now I wear a size large. But sizing is a problem with golf gloves. Different brands are different when it comes to size and unless you have used a particular product and know FOR SURE what size meets your need, then you should probably go to your local pro-shop, try on some and see what actually fits and is comfortable before you make on-line orders.

For the price these gloves last a remarkable long time. I go through three or four pare a summer/fall which is much better than many other brands I use. Yes, I am hard on the things – I don’t know if it is my grip, club handles or what..I have always have been rough of gloves. Anyway, these hold up quite well. like any glove made, you will occasionally find a defective glove here and there, i.e. one that will rip out. I personally have not had this problem with this particular glove but I have had friends who have...go figure.

These gloves are extremely soft and extremely flexible and fit perfectly if you choose the correct size. They hug the hand and fingers well yet at the same time are not a royal pain in the tail if you choose to remove it between shots or holes.

Tip...when they get wet, don’t just stash them in your bag. Put them out and let them dry in a natural position and once dry, put them on and take them off a few times...you will find they work like new if you do that.

I use about seven different brands and types of glove at this time and to be honest, for the price, these are right at the top as to personal satisfaction.

These gloves were purchased at the local pro-shop and the price here on Amazon is pretty competitive.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20