Profile for D. Blankenship > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 36

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Blankenship RSS Feed (The Ozarks)
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Okra 10000Mah Auto Ignition Portable Dual Power Bank and Car Jump Starter Kit , For iPhone 6/5s/5c/4s, Galaxy S5/S4/S3/S2, HTC One & All Smarthphones And Cars
Offered by IBD Electronics
Price: $99.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great for my needs, February 28, 2015
What a handy little unit this is. For its size, it is extremely powerful and versatile. It does a wonderful job of charging phones and pads. I am keeping this thing in the car to act as an emergency jump system.

Now that being said, "keeping it in the car," to be honest I will be using this thing more on our lawn tractor and riding mower than anything else. I have already used it twice (after it had been fully charged) and it worked wonderfully. During the winter when the tractor and mowers are not in use, the batteries tend to go dead. This handy device works just fine; starts the engine and then after running the machine for a bit, the battery is charged.

This unit comes in a very nice little box which takes up very little space. It should be noted that it does not come with a wall charger but in my case, that is fine because I have several models laying all over the place in our house and barns...also have chargers in my truck and cars.

Do keep in mind that the cables on this are extremely short so you will have to get quite close to a battery you are charging. I did not find this to be a problem so far.

I note that there is a discussion going on here as to whether or not this will jump a full size car versus a compact car. The product specs state "compact" car but I am not sure what that means. I suppose that if the battery on my truck should ever go belly up I will find out and will post an addendum to this review.

I am pleased with this unit.

Product supplied for testing and review purposes.

The Ozarks

Lunch Bag by Freddie and Sebbie - Luxury Insulated Reusable Black Lunch Bag - This Insulated Lunch Bag Is The Perfect Solution For Keeping Anything Cool - Can Be Used As A, Lunch Bag For Women, Lunch Bag For Man, Lunch Bag For Kids, Lunch Bag For Girls, Lunch Bag For Boys, Lunch Bag Cooler Or Lunch Bag Container - The Perfect Lunch Bag For Any Ocassion - Protect Your Investment - Comes With A Lifetime Guarantee
Offered by Freddie and Sebbie
Price: $7.97

5.0 out of 5 stars My wife and I fight over this one., February 28, 2015
This particular lunch bag is getting double use in our family. My wife is a volunteer worker at the humane society and sets on two other boards. While retired now, she seems to work harder than ever. During all these meetings and indeed, during her work at the shelter, she always takes along lots of snack good which always consists of vegetables and fruit.

I on the other hand, even though I am retired, spend quite a lot of time traveling in my car and truck. I despise fast food so I always take along plenty of quasi health food, such as fruity, veggies and nice salty snack crackers.

For both of use, this is an ideal bag to carry with us. It does a wonderful job in keeping our colder stuff cold over a goodly amount of time. It is easy to open and extremely easy to clean; a damp cloth being the only thing you need.

It has a detachable shoulder strap and the entire lunch bag is extremely well made with a heavy duty zipper. It has two side mesh compartments to carry extra water and I must say that the entire bag is quite attractive in a subdued and non flashy way. (We have the black and white one).

I have tried, tested and reviewed a number of these Freddie and Sebbie products and I have never been disappointed in one of them...this lunch bag included.

Product provided for review.

The Ozarks

Yepal 380GSM Multi-Purpose Microfiber Drying Towel, Microfiber Cleaning Towel, 8 Pieces ( 4 Colors ) in One Pack, Size at 14.2"x 14.2", Optional Choose for Auto Clean, Kitchen Clean, Household Clean, Window Clean etc
Offered by YEPAL
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Goldilocks would have loved these things, February 28, 2015
I can remember my mother and grandmother, right after WWII using cleaning and dusting cloths (cleaning rags they called them) which were actually pieces of worn out clothing and indeed, old and worn out diapers. Wow, have we come a long way since those days.

These microfiber towels are just the right size, sort of like something Goldilocks would find in that little cabin in the woods...not too small, not to big...just right...at approximately 14x14 I find these are indeed, just right.

They are plush and make cleaning so much easier. We have a lot of glass surfaces in our home from end tables, coffee tables, kitchen and dinning room tables and counter tops....and that is not even counting the numerous windows and our automobiles. We are most certainly putting these things to good and hard use and they make a difference in our work load.

I don't think I have ever used a product for dusting and cleaning that is quite as efficient as these thing. It is extremely easy to keep them clean (if you follow directions), and they cause work to go so much faster.

Now we have used the cheap microfiber cloths you find at Wally World and other like stores, and yes, they are cheaper than these. I think the keyword here though is "cheap." Yes they are cheaper but then they perform cheaper...you most certainly can tell the difference!

Now I use these things to keep my wife's care clean and they work great. My fifteen year old truck has never been violated inside or out with any type of cleaning cloth or cleaning agent since I bought the thing used. Only I and my dogs are willing to ride in the thing but that is okay with me....as long as the dogs don't mind and are happy...I'm good.

These are great cleaning cloths and I plan to purchase a box of them for my daughter.

Product furnished in exchange for a review.

The Ozarks

DII 100% Cotton, Machine Washable, Perfect Shower, Baby or Birthday Gift for Toddler 32x32" Hooded Towel for Infant to Toddler - Owl
Price: $18.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute and functional - an okay towel for the wee one, February 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We now have a first great grand child so needless to say we have been on a spending frenzy. The child is also the first grand child or great grand child who happens to be a girl (boys everywhere) so needless to say she is pretty special.

We like this towel because it is made of 100 percent cotton and it is absolutely off the chart when it comes to cuteness. It absorbs water well.

I do wish the thing had been made of a higher grade of cotton though. This is a wonderful idea and for just a bit more this could be an outstanding product. As is, it most certainly will do, but it would have been nice to have had a bit more pushiness about it.

The Ozarks

Silicone Wine Glasses, Set of 2 - Unbreakable Glasses Made From Flexible 100% Food Grade Silicone.
Offered by Hiptaste
Price: $24.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Help save the family heirloom crystal!, February 26, 2015
If your family has the tradition of breaking their glass in the fire place after making an important toast, and if you value Great, Great Aunt Vergie's priceless crystal wine glasses, then I would strongly suggest you stock up on these almost indestructible silicone wine glasses. On the other hand, if you are like my cousin Fred, and you end each toast by smashing and crushing your beer can on your forehead - well you might want to also consider these neat glasses...there will be less blood loss.

These wine cups are made from silicone and are, as I have indicated above, almost unbreakable. They are nice and flexible, hold about 11 ounces each and are actually quite fun to drink from. You can freeze them and they are microwave safe. If you are around the pool, or like me, on the creek bank - you know, anywhere that dropping a glass, glass can be a disaster; then these are just what you need. They are great for kids (filled with wine is not recommended), or ideal for senior citizens such as myself that tends to knock things over or drop them if given half a chance.

These are the ideal cup/glass to stuff in your pack on camping trips as you can bend, fold, crush and scrunch all you want and they pop right back into shape when needed. They will not shatter or crack or wear out like traditional plastic and they pack much better than the old tin cups I have been using for years.

Now the only problem I have encountered is that they are indeed flexible and if you squeeze them too hard while drinking you will have what ever fluid it is you are drinking running down the front of your chest. Now this does not bother me personally all that much in that I live in a constant state of having food and beverages dribbled down my front (I am actually known for it in our family...dropped a whole roast beef in my lap once... if you can stain yourself with your food or drink, I'm your guy), but I know that a lot of people get fussy over such matters (I know my wife does) so take care. With these tumblers my wife can rest at easy when she puts me with our great grandkids on the porch with our Kool-Ade; it gives her sort of peace of mind. I must say though that if you are even half coordinated and aware, this is not really a big problem...for normal people.

Love these glasses!

Product provided in exchange for a review.

The Ozarks

Symphonized GLXY Premium Genuine Wood In-ear Noise-isolating Headphones with Mic and Nylon Cable (Cherry)
Offered by Symphonized
Price: $49.99
5 used & new from $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely please...I just hope I can keep them, February 26, 2015
I am pretty well addicted to listening to books on CDs and to music. I set an listen, drive and listen, walk the dogs and listen, blah, blah, blah. I have owned and used quite a number of different ear buds and indeed, some extremely expensive head phone. As far as comfort, sound quality (for both books and music), and durability, I have yet to used a better set of headphone...some have been equal; but none better.

Now I notice that some have complained that these headphones have stopped working rather quickly. I have no doubt that these are legitimate complaints. Hey, in our world today I have noted that `lemons" appear more and more frequently on just about any product you can name. It is just the times we live it. The important thing here is will the seller or manufacturer stand behind their product. From what I can see and what I have found, yes - these sellers do stand behind what they sell. This is somewhat of a rarity...again, it is the world we live in today.

I have used these now rather extensively and have absolutely no complaints what so ever and they have worked perfectly. It these puppies should go belly up on me in the near future, I will notify the company and update this review...so far though...so good.

These are extremely attractive with their wood finish and extremely comfortable (I thing I already said that).

The only worry I have is that all four of my grown grandsons have seen these things (they are constantly lurking about the place and going through my stuff) and if I do not watch them closely I fear that one of them will break down and "borrow" the things...it has happened before...bless their little hearts.

Product furnished for review.

The Ozarks

Corkscrew and Vacuum Wine Stopper Set - Stainless Steel Durable Construction - Premium Winged Wine Opener - Sleek Design - Bottle Opener - Bonus Wine-Lover Fridge Magnet - Great Gift - FDA Approved - Lifetime Guarantee
Offered by Cozy Bungalow
Price: $14.77

5.0 out of 5 stars I very much recommend this set - Just what the Doctor ordered, February 26, 2015
The only alcoholic beverage my wife and I now drink is wine. Red wine was recommended by each of our physicians so we do have two small glasses per day with our evening meal. I cheat and ever so often will have a slightly larger glass just before I go to bed - Yes, I am that kind of guy.

Anyway...

Over the years we have owned many corkscrew contraptions to open wine. Some of them have been great, some just so-so, and some have been absolutely wretched, and that does not count the time over 45 years ago when we lived in Turkey and I thought it would be a good idea to open a bottle using a screwdriver...that did not work out all that well, truth be told. I will say that the corkscrew being reviewed here is one of the nicer ones we have owned. It is easy to use and is extremely well built; not like some of the hunks of junk you find in the grocery stores.

I love the little mini-vacuum stopper that comes with this set. Even between my wife and me, there is not way we can finish off a bottle of wine in one setting...it actually takes about four or three days to do so...that is if I "cheat." The stopper keeps the wine fresh and drinkable for the duration. I have previously owned two different vacuum pump stoppers - they were complicated monstrosities that required a degree from MIT as an engineer to figure out and use. Hey, I am not even all that competent in changing a tire on our car.

Love this opener and the little extra bonus of the vacuum stopper. You most certainly get your monies worth with this one.

Product supplied by seller.

The Ozarks

Power Play (An FBI Thriller)
Power Play (An FBI Thriller)
by Catherine Coulter
Price: $20.31
310 used & new from $0.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertained me and kept my attention - what more could I want?, February 26, 2015
This is another of those series that my wife got me hung up on years ago. I have been following this series from the beginning. Now I am not a literary critic nor have I had any training as one. When I review a book and give it a rating my criteria is pretty basic; I either liked or enjoyed the book, or I did not like and enjoy the book. Now that being said, I emphasis that I am in no position to tell other readers if they should or should not like a book - I merely report on my reaction and they state the factors involved in my evaluation.

I liked this book. Savich and Sherlock (two of my favorite fictional characters) do play a role in this work but the author has introduced two new ones which I feel we will be seeing more of down the line. The story, as is that authors habit of writing, has a duel story going on - two `mysteries' or crimes. It is sort of like reading two books at the same time. This is a fast read and the author keeps the plot and story line moving quite nicely. Should you finish the book and be less enthusiastic than I am about it...well, not much of your time will have been wasted.

This novel, as with her previous novels does have its share of give and take as to dialog...some of it being quite witty. Yes, the normal sexual tension is present but is not over done and not gratuitous...something I appreciate and something I find woefully lacking in many of our current novels written by A List authors. There is plenty of suspense in this one; more than enough to keep me turning the pages one after the other.

Now I will not go into a plot summation here...goodness knows there are enough wonderful reviews by other reviewers already posted here which cover that aspect quite well...go read one of those reviews if that is where your interest lies. Hey, most of them did a far better job of summation than I can produce...besides, I hated doing `book reports' in school an still do.

Now to be honest, this was not my favorite novel in this series but that being said, I did enjoy it and most certainly will come back for more.

This was a library find.

The Ozarks

The Case of the Halloween Ghost (Hank the Cowdog)
The Case of the Halloween Ghost (Hank the Cowdog)
by John R. Erickson
Price: $5.99
42 used & new from $1.90

5.0 out of 5 stars As usual...a great family read with plenty of laughs, February 26, 2015
Hank and Drover have a run-in with some very spooky characters in this one and per usual, Hank is determined to get to the bottom of the mysterious ghosts who seem to be haunting the ranch and Slim's cabin . Of course Drover (I identify with Drover....we are kindred spirits) is much involved as is Pete the Barn Cat.

As always the word play between Hank and Drover are the highlights and Hanks justification for doing some of the things he does (like, in this case, eating Sally Mays steaks) are absolutely typical Hank.

This book, like others in the series are perfectly suitable for all ages from 4 to 400. They are a great family read and are absolutely hilarious.

This was a library find.

The Ozarks

Ultra-Bright High Power CREE LED Headlamp Flashlight Torch with 2000mAh Lithium Rechargeable Battery-297% Longer Battery Life! - Fully Water Resistant - Adjustable Design - White, Red, and Strobe Light Ideal for Biking, Camping,Climbing, Hiking
Offered by Sunix
Price: $28.97
2 used & new from $28.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Light and bright, February 25, 2015
This strap-on head lamp is a very useful and functional headlamp. It is of extremely light weight, to the point that you really don't notice it being on your head after a bit. The one inch elastic strap is very comfortable and as it is adjustable, can fit either directly on your head or over a cap or bicycle riding cap. It can be expanded to the point that it will fit nicely over most hard hats.

Despite the smallish size, the light intensity and brightness is more than I would expect from a unit this size. I was absolutely amazed at how bright and powerful this little thing is.

The light itself has a tilt up and down feature so that the light beams can be adjusted in the direction (straight forward or a gradual down focus).

The modes consist of:

On/Off
Dim
Strobe
Solid red

Note: DON NOT look directly into this thing when you test it. I made that mistake and it almost blinded me..OUCH! Duh to me!

This light is extremely water resistant...yes, I have worn it in a pretty goo rain storm and in a snow storm with no ill effects. The headlamp can be folded down and wrapped into a very small space saving package. This light is the one that is going into that very small pack I carry on the back of my bike seat.

Now I am too old and worn out to run anymore, but I do go for long walks in the evening and night with the dogs. This light is ideal for that purpose.

I received this light in exchange for a review.

Don Blankenshiip