Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Profile for D. Blankenship > Reviews

Browse

D. Blankenship's Profile

Customer Reviews: 3859
Top Reviewer Ranking: 35

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Blankenship RSS Feed (The Ozarks)
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
BLACK+DECKER 83381 Durable Stainless Steel Fry Pan, 10", Silver
BLACK+DECKER 83381 Durable Stainless Steel Fry Pan, 10", Silver
Price: $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice deep and handy pan that heats well and even, June 27, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is an excellent mid size pan. Each pan you own has a specific purpose. We normally use cast iron for steaks and other fried foods as we simply feel it tastes better.

There are only two of us at home now; sometimes only one. While we have very large pans we have found the one being reviewed here is excellent as to frying eggs and scrambling eggs. We eat these things for both breakfast and supper at times.

This pan has a very deep side which is great. The bottom is thick and the heat distributes quite well. The pan heats up extremely fast so take care until you discover all the properties you are dealing with. Remember – each pan or pot in your kitchen will react different under different circumstances...even like brand and style pans.

Many of our pans have a non-stick surface; something we like. This one does not but I, being the primary dishwasher, have found that clean-up is easy using hot water and mild detergent. DO NOT use a rough or abrasive scrubber on this pan...it is not needed and will ruin the pan and eventually cause the surface to stick to all food cooked. I do not recommend you place this one in the dishwasher.

The handle is quite comfortable.

Again, we like this size and it is an excellent pan for us to be used for a specific purpose. After over 53 years of cooking together we have quite a collection on pots and pans and each has its use. This is a nice addition to our working collection.

Burton Men's Buffer II Socks, Burner, Medium
Burton Men's Buffer II Socks, Burner, Medium
Price: $22.95
2 used & new from $17.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful sock for my specific needs, June 26, 2016
I have to admit to being a sock person. I also must admit that I am quite hard on socks. In the summer, when hanging around the house I go barefooted; a hold over of over 70s years from when I was a kid. In the winter, when hanging around the house I either wear only socks or socks with moccasins. I share this to emphasize the fact that sock, as I wear them, take a heck of a beating.

I have found these Burton socks to last much, much longer than any other brand I can purchase here locally. Needless to say, going sock-footed puts quite a strain on their durability, in particular the heel. These socks simply last longer than other brands.

In the winter, when outside, I wear boots or athletic trainers; this is were the comfort factor comes in with this brand of sock...these things are extremely supportive and wear very well with boots. Keep in mind that I do not live in the Northland and the weather here is S. Missouri is mild, even in the winter, compared to further north...I do not need arctic socks.

Bottom line...supportive, comfortable, warm enough for me, good looking and durable.

These were purchased at a local men’s store. The price here on Amazon is competitive.

The Count of Monte Cristo (Open Road)
The Count of Monte Cristo (Open Road)
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The only novel my father ever read, June 26, 2016
What can you say bout The Count of Monte Cristo that has not already been written over the years other than adding your voice to the thousands and thousands of readers who have enjoyed this work since it was first published.

I read this as a very young man and decided to give it yet another read.

I admit that one of my favorite genres is that of revenge. Well CMC was probably the original revenge novel and more or less set the standard for all that followed. This is one of the few classics that young people; even in our non-reading world of today, will and do still enjoy reading. It sort of grabs you in the first chapters and builds from there. Every time I see or read this work I have to smile. My father who was an extremely intelligent man and an extremely educated man only read one novel. He read it late in life just before his death and loved it...yup, it was The Count of Monte Cristo...go figure...I was proud of him!

I do love this Kindle edition. Yes, I know you can get this one for free since it is public domain but I really don’t care. The version I received from Amazon and paid .99 cents for is perfectly formatted. I have ordered books from Project Gutenberg and other such organizations and while I appreciate their efforts I must be frank and tell you that I have been extremely dissatisfied with much of the formatting and presentation. I simply did not want to take that chance with this work.

This is a great read and I would recommend it to anyone.

Find Her
Find Her
by Lisa Gardner
Price: $18.88
184 used & new from $4.12

5.0 out of 5 stars This could quite well be Gardner's best work to date., June 26, 2016
This review is from: Find Her (Hardcover)
Glancing through the reviews posted for this book so far; a goodly number of them, it would seem that this is a typical book which has been written by an “A List” author – the majority like it and some did not like it and some fell in the middle. This is as it should be as reading tastes float across a very, very wide spectrum. I love the fact that in this day and age we have so many authors and so many books to choose from and that these books are so available to so many.

Anyway....

I’ve read quite a number of novels written by Lisa Gardner over the years and I must say, from my personal point of view, that this is one of her better works – or pretty close to it.

No do take note if you are considering reading this work. Ms. Gardner has given us a story which includes some very graphic violence. Much to most of this violence is directed toward women and much to most of it involves sexual assault, torture and murder. This will upset many people and rightfully so. To be honest, I would take a dim view of any reader that was not upset by this sort of thing and this is not the sort of person I would enjoy setting around having coffee with on my back porch.

Now this being said....

This is one of the most complex plots the author has used so far. The details are stunning. Many may find this attention to detail boring but this sort of thing fits my taste perfectly. The author has employed a literary method which has three parts...she tracks the history in first person of the victims past and then, again in the first person, the victims present. At the same time she is using third person to tell the story f the detective guiding the investigation, D.C. Warren. The author will go back and forth between these three areas and does it quite effectively; constantly adding to her tale and slowly; oh so slowly, feeding her readers information and revealing surprise after surprise. I love this method.

We have a kidnapped victim – young girl who is the center of the story. She is held for 472 days, most of the time in a pine box the size of a casket. She is starved, beaten and continually rapped. This is NOT a pretty picture folks and many readers will feel quite ill when reading this horrendously brutal and evil treating of another human being.

When the young lady is finally released she is not the same girl who went into the box, nor is her family the same.

Three other women go missing...who is dong this and is Flora Dane, the first victim whom the story is actually about, turned into a vigilante? Suddenly, Flora Dane goes missing yet again after she burns a guy to death after he attempt to rape her...What happened to her? This is what detective D.D. Warren must solve.

Again...and let me stress this...this work is not for the squeamish or faint of heart.

Now the author has been accused of being repetitive as to her plot in this work. Yes indeed she is repetitive. And this is one of the many reasons this work is so well written...the author continually drives the points she is trying to make and she does a very effective job of it.

If you are looking for a nice mellow detective romance type of book – you know the kind I am talking about, then you probably should skip this one. On the other hand if you are looking for something that will truly stir your emotions and set you thinking (Yes folks, there are actually very evil people out there and this sort of thing actually happens to people – in particular females in our society) then this books is worth a read.

This was a library find and I thank my wife for recommending it to me.

Jigsaw Puzzle - Solvang "Danish Village" 1000 Pc By Dowdle Folk Art
Jigsaw Puzzle - Solvang "Danish Village" 1000 Pc By Dowdle Folk Art
Offered by Gift 2 Gift
Price: $17.99
6 used & new from $11.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and Excellent!, June 25, 2016
My wife and I have never purchased or completed a puzzle by this company...this is our first. I have to tell you that we are pretty impressed. We have been completing puzzles together for 53 plus years now (we either chat or listen to books on CDs these days) and always have a puzzle in some state of completion.

To begin with, the art work on this one is truly beautiful. Do be a ware that is busy, busy, busy which can be a good thing or a bad thing – depending upon your level of experience. Also be aware that the colors used in this painting are rather dark so you will need a good light source and good vision. While this, at first glance, is a picture of a village, it is actually sort of a colleague of a village – quite innovative of the artist!

The puzzle is very well made and the pieces fit together perfectly. It is made in the U.S. which makes it even more attractive.

We were happy with this puzzle and will be purchasing other in this series and from this company. We normally donate our puzzles to various long term care facilities or the library when we complete them so others can enjoy as we have done, but in this case we will keep in; stash it in our storage area and, if we live long enough, do it again in a couple or three years. Yup...it is that much fun!

This item was purchased at a local hobby shop and the price here on Amazon is quite competitive.

Rogers' Rangers and the French and Indian War
Rogers' Rangers and the French and Indian War
by Bradford; Illustrated by John C. Wonsetler Smith
3 used & new from $59.00

5.0 out of 5 stars I do wish this one were more available, June 22, 2016
My sister and I received this work when it was first published in 1958. It is one of the 170 odd Landmark books which were a available via a book club. Our mother subscribed right from the beginning. I still have most of the books in this series, including this one.

This work is written primarily for middle school children and gives a wonderful introduction to the study of the French and Indian War, and by extension, a peek at one aspect of the Seven Years war and by extension, a nice peek in to the early history of the U.S.

I must have read this thing a dozen times as a kid and after all these years I recently gave it another shot. It has lost none of its appeal to me.

The book is well researched and well written as all of the books in this series are. They say that if a child reads all of these books they will have a better knowledge of U.S. and indeed, world history than 90 percent of all H.S. grads in this day and age. I agree with that.

This work would be ideal for home schooling. Unfortunately, due to this work being out of print for so long and due to the popularity of this series, the cost of this one keep going up and it is difficult to find at an affordable price...pity.

This work is part of my private collection.

A Stranger's Game (Bitter Creek Novels)
A Stranger's Game (Bitter Creek Novels)
by Joan Johnston
Edition: Audio CD
22 used & new from $0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Many will enjoy this one but it sure was not my cup of tea, June 22, 2016
This novel, ‘A Stranger’s Game,’ by Joan Johnston is a part of a series known as the ‘Bitter Creek Series.” I have no idea how many novels are thus far in this line up and this is the first I have read.

My wife and I listen to book CDs while we complete puzzles. I will be honest and tell you that this book was chosen via a ‘blind grab’ at our local library. Neither of us has read this author before. I say this because, as I am the one writing the review, that this is not the genre I read or even like. My wife enjoyed it; I did not.

Of course part of my dislike is that I had not idea as to the background of the majority of the characters in this work. Due to the fact that the book is rather simple I had little problem catching up, but still and all, I admit to probably having an inability to connect with any of the characters and indeed, I did not connect.

This is a story of a young lady who was convicted of the murder of her step-father and mother when she was a teenage. She spent several years in prison and upon her release goes after the really person or persons who committed this foul deed.

In the book we have at least four romances going on. We have a serial killer, an extremely promiscuous wife who is a sex addict, political battles between two powerful families, a terrorist bomb treat against the president and a governor, an assassination attempt, a tale of extremely dysfunctional families and oh my...the list goes on and on and on and on. To be quite frank, from my point of view, the author attempted to simply cram too much into one smallish book. The plot bounced all over the place and actually made no sense (the action of most of the characters) what-so-ever. There were also far, far too many characters involved and several of these characters lent nothing to the story.

On the other hand, it had a semi-satisfactory body count. It did have some sexual encounters which were more realistic than in many books I have read and were not completely and absolutely gratuitous – which in my opinion was a good thing.

No I did not like this book. While my wife did not run around the puzzle table doing a happy dance as we listened, did however view the book for favorably than I did. Will I read any of the books in this series proceeding this book? No. Will I read any of the other books in this series not yet written? No. I cannot speak for my wife but I suspect that she might. Hey, everyone has different tastes in reading...thank goodness. There are works out there for all of us. Goodness knows my wife has put of with listening to books I chose over the years with great patience and I feel that turn-about is fare play.

I am giving this one three stars. I know that many enjoyed this read, as did my wife, and I know that many did not...I will split the difference. (Now I think I will ‘force’ her (as if) to watch ‘The Godfather’ parts I, II and II for about the 10th time...And maybe Lawrence of Arabia...

This was a library find.

RECARO Roadster Convertible Carseat, Knight, 5-65 Pounds
RECARO Roadster Convertible Carseat, Knight, 5-65 Pounds
Offered by Quidsi Retail LLC
Price: $269.99
5 used & new from $215.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful heavy-duty car seat that will grow with the child, June 20, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
After two children, four grand-children and now a great-granddaughter, I am not all that easy to impress when it comes to car seats. I have to tell you folks, the seat being reviewed here has absolutely knocked my socks off.

It is heavy duty, extremely well built, I cannot imagine a seat that would protect a child as well as this one (if properly installed), and it is comfortable.

Now this one costs a bit more than most but it must be remembered that it will grow with the child. Just the other day I had to toss one of our seats away simply because our great granddaughter had out grown it at 14 months. Bummer.

This thing is a snap to set up...you really do not need directions and actually looks good.

The only possible down side I can see to this entire unit is that this is NOT the sort of seat that is easy to transfer from one car to another...this puppy is heavy! As we have car seats in all our cars and trucks this is no big deal for us but it is something some might want to think about.

Americana Farmhouse Puzzle, 1000 Pieces
Americana Farmhouse Puzzle, 1000 Pieces
Offered by Miles Kimball Company
Price: $17.99

1.0 out of 5 stars To the trash can it went, June 20, 2016
I fear to tell you that I agree with the somewhat negative reviews on this particular puzzle and that my wife and I encountered many of the same problems with this one that others did.

Now we are not beginners. Over the years we have completed literally hundreds of puzzles. It takes us, on the average, three days to complete most puzzles – four days for the more difficult. (We are talking 1,000 piece puzzles here). Alas, not so with this one.

To begin with, many of the pieces were stuck together right in the box. I am not talking one or two pieces stuck together...no, I am talking hunks of 5,6,7,8 pieces. To make matters works, the cuts in the pieces were not fully through the rather thin and flimsy board. We had to take a knife and cut the pieces ourselves...NOT GOOD! We found if we tried to separate these pieces without cutting the picture was torn from its backing...this was a real mess.

The picture was pretty, I will give it that and this could have been a very nice work to work with. Alas, the cutting design made placing various pieces next to impossible at times and this became quite frustrating.

Yes, we did complete the thing but where as we normally donate our completed puzzles to local long term care facilities or the local library (after we tear them down) so others can enjoy, this one went straight to the trash can and I fear we will not complete another puzzle of this brand.

This puzzle was purchased at a local hobby shop and the price here in Amazon is quite competitive.

The Walking Dead: Compendium Two
The Walking Dead: Compendium Two
by Robert Kirkman
Price: $33.89
213 used & new from $21.65

5.0 out of 5 stars I do enjoy these Walking Dead collections!, June 20, 2016
With well over 1,000 reviews at the time of this writing I probably have little to add other than to throw my opinion into the ring and state that as far as comics go, this is one of the best I have read over the many years since I pick-up my first one over 65 years ago.

I am of course a big fan of the show but I must tell you that the comic version is different than what is offered on T.V. While the general theme is there, i.e. Zombies taking over the world, the flow of the story is different and the comic version gives the story teller more versatility in telling this apocalyptic tale.

The art work is excellent and the story has more sudden twists and turn that a West Virginian mountain road. As you read you simply will not be able to predict what will happen next. This second volume or compendium covers issues 46 through 96 of the comic. One big difference in the comic and the T.V. series is that sudden death of primary characters is much, much more common and indeed, rather expected to a certain extent. This second compendium deals more with the human aspect of the odyssey rather than that of the walkers.

Now...on to compendium No. 3!

This was a library find.