Profile for D. Blankenship > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 37

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Blankenship RSS Feed (The Ozarks)
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
PHYSEN Unique Touch Button Design Waterproof Wireless Doorbell Kit Includes 3 TouchWake Button and 2 Plug-in Receiver, Built-in 52 Classic Melodies , Working Distance 500ft to 1000ft ,6 Stylish Colors Available (Orange)
Offered by PHYSEN
Price: $43.98

5.0 out of 5 stars I would like to give this one more than five stars. This is by far the best of this sort of doorbell kit we have used., May 24, 2015
We have used units such as this in the past. Some of these wireless bells have been pretty good, while others have been less than satisfactory. I must tell you in all honesty though that the Physen units being reviewed here out perform the others (and some of those were more costly) hands down.

This particular set meets our specific and perhaps not so unique purposes exceptionally well. I have installed one of the units on our front door; the only door guests are likely to show up at due to the physical layout of our home (three entry doors but it is an absolute trek to get to the side and back door). The other unit is and will be used as a bedside summonsing bell. My wife, due to quite recent cancer surgery quickly followed by major knee surgery, has been forced to spend quite a lot of time in bed. It is extremely difficult for her to get in and out of her bed and even room at times. The third unit acts as a spare since my wife tends to loose things from time to time and it is nice to have that spare handy. Out house is of the size that yelling out if she is in need is futile, i.e. I simply cannot hear her most of the time. This bell works perfectly. She can hit the call button and i, or anyone who is staying in the home while I am gone, is immediately aware and can answer her needs.

Since there are two unit involved here and three call buttons it is quite important that each receiver unit sounds different...obviously. This is easy to accomplish by simply following the paring instructions. Each receiver unit then sounds different; different tones, different music (chimes) and different volume. This is invaluable. I can tell instantly if it is the door or my wife that I must attend to.

The volume, when set on the loudest mode, can be heard throughout the house, and we have a rather large single story home. Interestingly enough, I can even here this thing when I am outside if I am within 100 feet of the house. We have both of our units set on loud mode.

Among the nicest features of these units is that the transmitters work on touch; a very light touch is all that is needed. I like this much better than units we have used were a button must be pushed down. Movable parts like this tend to wear out (the springs) at a rather fast rate, especially if they are used constantly and frequently...there is simply less to break on this than with other like transmitters.

The transmitters are extremely water resistant and weather resistant. I am not saying they are water proof because I doubt if they could be submerged for any length of time and survive, but they do have a tight gasket around them and even though the outside transmitter(s) have been placed in a semi-protected place, they still have survived many hard rain storms and such.

The installation instructions are just a bit on the sparse side but to be quite frank, you do not need a graduate degree in engineering from MIT to figure one of these things out. I am not good at such things and I was able to do it without reading the instructions (Yes, I am one of those people). The directions given here on the product page are better than the ones included with the units. Read them and you cannot go wrong.

This set was provided for testing and review. To be quite honest, had I known about these things I would have gladly purchased them...they are worth every penny of the asking price.

The Ozarks

DII Home Essentials 100% Cotton, Machine Washable, Everday Kitchen Basic Terry Printed Kitchen Towel Set of 4, Chef
Price: $17.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not overly impressed, May 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These towels are not what I would call "work horses." They are attractive and very decorative and if that is what you want then I say go for it. On the other hand, these are not the most absorbent towels in our extensive collection of this sort of thing and the material is most certainly on the thin side. We have washed these twice now and they are not holding up very well at all.

To be frank, we are not overly impressed with this group of towels. Pity, we use a lot of kitchen towels and feel you simply cannot have too many of them. It would have been nice had these been better.

On the other hand, like I said above, they are attractive when they are new and do make good décor for when Great Aunt Molly visits for the afternoon...you can dash about, hang them out and then put away when the old girl leaves.

The Ozarks

Uniprod Fashion Couple Watch Quartz Sport Alloy Band Round Wrist Watch(White)
Uniprod Fashion Couple Watch Quartz Sport Alloy Band Round Wrist Watch(White)
Offered by E-go
Price: $29.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for the price here, May 22, 2015
This is a nice little set of hers and his watches for the price. Hey, I am ashamed to tell you what I paid for the two watches I wear on a regular basis, but for about thirty dollars, I have, in my day, had watches that delivered much less than these two do.

These are what I call `change watches." They are nice to wear for a day just to have a bit of a change here and there and you don't have to sink a lot of money into it. We noted that the mans watch looses about five minutes in a 24 hour period and the womans watch gains about five minutes in that amount of time. This is okay though because the watches will be worn for much short times.

These two watches are attractive and have a nice `heft' to them which makes the at least feel like a watch of far greater value. The bands may need adjusting but removing links is not that big a deal. The clasp is firm and holds well. Both watches are attractive on the wrist. The male watch shows the day and the date and the female watch shows just the date.

My wife particularly liked these watches since she has a drawer filled with the think and is constantly changing...depending upon what she is wearing at a given time.

All in all, a good value as long as you are not expecting something like a Rolex.

Product provided for review.

The Ozarks

Cozypony® Outdoor 8 Led Bright Solar Powered Wireless Security Light Waterproof Weatherproof PIR Motion Sensor Detector for Patio Deck Yard Garden Home Driveway Stairs Outside Wall
Offered by Cozypony
Price: $30.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent light...performs percisely as the product page says it will., May 22, 2015
This unit is ideal for my purpose which is go give lighting to one of my primary storage sheds; the one I keep rather expensive tools in, in my back yard. Yes, it is secured, but even the hardest lock can be broken and this light gives me that added security I need.

A quick note here: The product pages states that this light has a sticky back to it and needs only to be stuck to the surface you choose. The unit I have here has screws in which to attach it. This for me is great since I trust the screws much more than "sticky stuff" and since the shed this is mounted on is wood...well, it all worked out fine for me.

This is an all weather light and it is holding up quite well and has already weathered extremely cold weather and numerous rain and sleet storms. The light works just as described on the product page and as yet to fail in any way. It is easy to mount and when the light kicks in when motion is detected, it is a bright light and if nothing else is going to startle the heck out of any of the little meth heads that may be lurking about. I do wish I had had one of these things on my chicken coop when I raised chickens. Raccoons are braver than meth heads but the light scares them also.

A small pin comes with the unit and it is an easy task to turn this thing off and on as desired. It also comes with a very easy to understand set of directions which was much appreciated.

All in all I cannot see how you could go wrong with this light. I plan to purchase four more for various areas around the house and barns.

Product provided for testing and review.

Buddy & Co. Classic Denim & Nylon Dog Leash 6ft 5/8-inch
Buddy & Co. Classic Denim & Nylon Dog Leash 6ft 5/8-inch
Offered by Future Cut
Price: $14.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality leash - extremly strong, well built and attractive, May 22, 2015
We have two of these leashes; one 4 ft one and one 6 foot one. These leashes go with the matching collars this company sells.

My wife and I have been with dogs all of our lives and since we were married 51 years ago have never been without multiple dogs. Dogs are an extremely important part of our lives. At present we have a smallish Boston terrier and a largish Chihuahua (Yes, he is overweight...our bad). Both dogs of course think they are Timber Wolves and are quite full of themselves, i.e. they are spoiled. Over the years, and we are talking well over 65 years of having dog companions, between the two of us we have owned and used dozens, if not hundreds of leashes.

For general purpose walking leashes and leashes which need to be shorter to gain a bit more control the leash being reviewed here is by far the best of the best. These leashes are extremely well made with two layers of material; denim and nylon. They are pretty impervious to water and easy to wash and dry. They are extremely strong and very, very attractive. I must admit that I was shocked to see the price on these things as we have paid up to three times this much for various leashes over the years but have never had one as well built, strong and attractive as this one is.

The clip is strong and does have a swivel. The spring seems to be quite strong and we have had no catching or jamming in the slightest. The swivels are rust and tarnish resistant and extremely easy to snap on to the collar. The loop is comfortable on/on the hand and wrist. Due to the material used and the workmanship, these leashes should last for years and years.

This is most certainly a quality leash.

Product provided for test and review.

Buddy & Co. Classic Denim Nylon Dog Collar, Medium
Buddy & Co. Classic Denim Nylon Dog Collar, Medium
Offered by Future Cut
Price: $14.97

5.0 out of 5 stars These are simply the best general purpose collars we have ever owned our used...we are talking 65 years of dogs here folks, May 22, 2015
Dogs have been a very large part of our lives; well, all of our lives, and my wife and I have had multiple dogs living with us for the past 50 plus years. In that time I know for sure we have owned and used dozens; if not hundreds, of collars and leashes of all sizes shapes and materials. The collars being reviewed here are most certainly ranked in the top five of our all time favorites and I must say that as far as durability, design and workmanship, these are right at the top of the heap. These things are STRONG! These things are wonderfully well made!

At this time we have only two dogs; a smallish Boston terrier and a largish Chihuahua (translate that to fat). These dogs are our babies and more or less the center of everything.

The small color fits perfectly for both dogs as it can be adjusted quite easily. When you first open these they may appear to be too large and too heavy for small dogs but once you place the collar on the dog you will soon find that they are perfect.

The collars have an outside layer of denim and in inside layer of nylon. These things are almost unbreakable. The collars fasten with a snap, something I do not normally like, but these snaps are extremely strong but at the same time easy to snap. The way the collar is designed, even if the snap should come loose it is highly unlikely that the collar will simply fall off due to the ring which the end would have to pass through. I have never used a collar designed like this but am a true believer now...rather amazing design.

Water does not seem to phase these things. Our dogs are inside dogs but do love a good run in the rain and they most certainly get caught in rain storms (and snow) when we are walking them. The collars have held up quite well and still look new. The denim is unisex and as both dogs are male, they appreciate that.

The clip ring is rust and tarnish resistant and is extremely strong. I have no doubt it would hold several hundred pounds if attached. At first glance, this ring may seem rather large for the collar. I suppose it is a personal choice, but I love this larger ring. It looks just fine and it is oh so easy to snap the leash to it when the dog is excited and bouncing around. Trying to get a leash attached to a small ring can be a very frustrating thing, in particular if you have cold fingers or old fingers...such as in my case.

It should be noted that the medium and large size this collar comes in looks the same and are so well made I cannot see how any dog, no matter the size or strength, could possibly break one of these things. It should be noted that you can also get a matching leash for these collars and the workmanship and attractiveness is the same with the leashes as for the collars. The size of the collar is extremely easy to adjust and there is no slippage at all.

I can honestly say, with no reservations what-so-ever, that there may somewhere be a collar as good as these but I doubt seriously if you will ever find a better one.

Product furnished for testing and review.

The Ozarks

Zaptya Home & Travel Insect Zappers - Pest Controlling On the Go - Europe's Best Now Available in US - Kills Mosquitoes and Other Flying Insects
Offered by Love Park Products
Price: $19.92
2 used & new from $19.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely effective, well made and attractive., May 21, 2015
I must confess that I am one of those individuals who is rather fond of most insects and like critters...I find them fascinating. I am one of those people who, when I find a spider or cricket in the house, will actually catch the thing and release it outdoors.

But!

I have to tell you that flying insects such as mosquitoes, small moths, flies and such can drive me crazy at night. We live in the middle of the woods, very near a stream/marsh and two large ponds. Bugs we have. I spend spring, summer and fall evenings in the screened-in back porch but due to extremely aggressive ravaging herds of raccoons, the screens on our porch do not last that long, i.e. they are constantly full of holes of various sizes. Anyway, nights on my porch if I am trying to read or just set listening to the night noise can be troublesome...to say the least.

I love this little bug zapping unit. It is smaller than ones we have had in the past, more attractive, and just as effective (if not more so) as any we have used over the years. You can either hang this thing or set it on a table or stool. It is lighter (weight wise) than most units I have used but it is quite well built and not flimsy at all.

As to the effectiveness, it does the job it was made for. We had a very mild winter here and a rather early spring and the misquotes are already if full gear. The UVA bulb creates a nice mellow blue light which blends in its surroundings and does not create a distraction such as some of the units we have used or seen used.

Now this zapper will not handle the gigantic flying beetles we encountered in S.E. Asia...hey, some of those things were like prehistoric monsters, but it will most certainly take care of the smaller pesky ones. Along those lines I was glad to see that the spaces for allowing the insects to get through are small enough not to let birds through. On larger units, which have accidently been left on during the day, can cause great trouble at times as many small birds will hit the catching tray for an easy meal and get zapped themselves.

This unit does come with a 110v adaptor. It can be used here in the U.S. and the rest of the world and is ideal for traveling. We will be taking it to Arkansas this summer (which is not a foreign country, but does have its share of bugs) where we vacation several times a year.

This thing would be ideal to use on a patio or pool side during summer evenings.

I have no complaints...this thing does what it is suppose to do and looks good while doing it.

Product provided for review and testing.

Rosy's Visitors
Rosy's Visitors
by Judy Hindley
30 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A hidden gem., May 19, 2015
This review is from: Rosy's Visitors (Hardcover)
This work was first published in 2002, which come to think of it, was about 14 years ago...where does time go? I've been familiar with this work, having read it to children numerous times over the past ten years or so. This is one of those books that I strongly feel did not get the attention that it richly deserves. There are so many children's books published that it is easy for some of them to get lost in the avalanche being released each years. It is a pity!

Imagination is one of the cornerstones on which well adjusted and happy adults are built. This imagination, or the ability to see and feel what is not really there, starts at a young age and even though it may manifest itself differently as we grow older, the quality of life is lessened if you don't maintain at least a bit of it.

This is the story of a young girl who goes out one morning after informing her mother that she is going to find herself a whole new house. She packs up her blanket and her pillow and her books and some toys and her favorite things...she begins her search.

She finds (not far from home) a hollow tree and decides that this is her new home. She builds a `path' to her front door and awaits visitors.

And my do they show up! Animals, children, elves, fairies, insects, animated stuffed toys, and food, food, food; the visiting and party begins!

Judy Hindley handles the text quite well and tells a charming tale. The illustrations by Helen Craig are done in drawing and water color (wash) and are absolutely mellow and wonderful. Between the two, artist and writer, they create a world that most children know exists but that we adults have long forgotten.

The party finally breaks up and Rosy goes home to her mom...Rosy had a truly great day!

I of course was fascinated with the wonderful artwork in this one and have found the book is a great group read which generates dozens of questions and personal stories from the kids as you read it to them. It is also a great book for the wee ones just of leaf through and look at the pictures. Each time you read this one you spot something in the illustrations that you missed before...very detailed in an uncluttered way.

This is most certainly one you should treat your kids to.

This was a library find.

The Ozarks

Panlelo LED Headlamp 2in1 Flashlight:2000 lumens 3 modes Zoomable Rechargeable Waterproof CREE XMLT6 For Running/Hiking/Cycling/Night Fishing/Hunting/biking Included AC Charger,AAA adapter,1x18650 battery
Offered by panlelo
Price: $36.03

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot of light for the money, May 19, 2015
This headlamp apparently comes is different sets; some include several extras, others do not.

I own and use five different models of headsets, each from a different manufacturer. Now I do not use all five at the same time but between myself, my son and four grown grandsons, all into camping, construction, fishing, hunting (I am the only bird watcher in the bunch), all of these lights get a pretty heavy workout and at one time or another I have used each and everyone of them, including the unit being reviewed here. I must say, out of the whole mess, I find this unit to be the most comfortable, reliable and sturdy - also the most versatile.

The actually head lamp throws a very strong beam out well over 100 yards and the little additional flashlight is just as about as powerful. This thing comes with rechargeable batteries (There is an adaptor included where AAA batteries may be used if so desired). It also comes with a wall charger and a USB adapter allowing you to charge various devices. There was also a "credit card" multi-functional survival knife, et al included. The product description here is quite accurate.

Bottom line though is that this headlamp works and it works quite well. It functions and does the job for which it was made. It is the one headlamp that we all fight over. I use mine about three nights a week in my owl spotting hobby and the others use the ones they get in their work and play.

This is a well built unit and can take quite a lot of abuse. I have already given it quite a bashing running into some sizable tree limbs and I tromp through the woods. The unit held up well and I have had no problems with it.

Product provided for test and review.

The Ozarks

Cool Ultra-portable Mini Round Bluetooth Speaker, Arespark Mini Bluetooth Speaker with Deep Bass, Built-in Mic Hands-free Speakerphone, SD/TF Card Supported, All Bluetooth Devices Compatibility, Outstanding Look, Army Green
Offered by AresparkDirect
Price: $59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent speaker for the money., May 19, 2015
It is really rather amazing as to the amount of sound this little speaker can put out. I must add that the sound is of extraordinary quality; a quality I have not found in speakers this size.

The Bluetooth pairing process with m phone went without a hitch and was fast and completely hassle free.

The pricing is extremely competitive with speakers of this size although I will say again that the sound quality on this one is far superior to those other makes I have used and tried in the past. You are getting a lot of speaker for your money with this one.

I have absolutely no complaints; only praise for this one.

Product provided for testing and review.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20