ARRAY(0x9979c39c)

Top Reviewer Ranking: 31

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Blankenship RSS Feed (The Ozarks)
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Eucerin Baby Eczema Relief Body Creme, 5 Ounce
Eucerin Baby Eczema Relief Body Creme, 5 Ounce
Price: $7.99
11 used & new from $6.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Very effective, April 12, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My wife has been using various Eucerin products for years and recently I have joined her. As I have gotten older I have more and more of a problem with dry skin and mild eczema. This is sort of nasty stuff to treat even in its milder form. I must say that this Eucerin Baby Eczema Relief Body Crème does all it says it will do.
It is practically odorless which is a big plus as far as I am concerned and when applied it almost instantly soaks into the skin bring relief rather quickly. Unlike some other product; different brands, I have had no allergic reactions to this stuff.

This cream is a bit more costly than some I have used but as far as I am concerned it is worth every penny.

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 13, 2014 6:05 PM PDT

The Silent Girl (with bonus short story Freaks): A Rizzoli & Isles Novel (Rizzoli & Isles Novels)
401 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Gerritsen's most complex and compelling works, April 12, 2014
Both my wife and I are fans of Tess Gerritsen's work, we both agree that this novel, `The Silent Girl," is possibly one of her best offerings to date. Ms. Gerritsen has woven several elements into her plot; admittedly some of them a bit different, and has made this blending quite workable. Honestly, after reading the first few pages I was completely hooked and lost quite a lot of sleep because I hated putting the book down.

The primary location of this begins in Boston's China town where the body of a woman is fund with a severed hand and in a state of almost complete decapitation. A gun is found. The story then includes and is centered around a mass murder which took place almost 19 years ago. We also have, as the story progresses, several missing girls - all these cases appear at first to be completely unrelated. The author has skillfully worked into her plot ancient Chinese legends (or are they legends?), possible child trafficking, of course murder, and just a hint of the supernatural. It is all a matter of personal taste of course, but I love stories which work several elements into their plot.

Now I am not sure what some of the reviews here are referring to when they say there is "weak character development." I have never understood this complaint and I most certainly do not understand it in referring to this work. Most of the characters here are old friends from previous novels and the new characters introduced are quite vivid and by the end of the book, quite knowable.

This is an extremely fast moving story; a page turner, if you will, and holds plenty of twists to keep the reader just a bit off balance right up until the end.

In addition to the story itself, the author gives us a bit of a look at the Chinese immigrants experience in this country and her commentary, as told through her story, is spot on. I know something of this and the author most certainly knows her subject well. Her references to Chinese mythology were delightful and again, extremely accurate.

Now I normally do not comment on other reviews in my reviews but in this case I must make an exception. A few reviewers have accused the author of "ripping off" the novel "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." I have read this book and have been reading mystery thrillers since the 1950s. The plot devices used by Gerritsen are as old as the genre. The author of "Tatoo" used them and as a matter of fact you can find these devices blended into the works of Agatha Christie and Doyles work also...they, Doyle and Christie did not invent them either. Be that as it may, how anyone could confuse the work being reviewed here with "Tattoo" is beyond my...other than the fact that we have a dead or missing girl on our hands. Now I mean this in a kindly manner, but before making accusations of plagiarism in cases such as this, I might suggest that a person spend a few decades reading other books in this genre and then come back and attempt to make their case...its not going to happen.

Anyway, I found this to be a very entertaining and well done novel. I would love to see the author include some of the new characters introduced in this novel to make appearances in future works...they were all extremely interesting.

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 15, 2014 7:54 PM PDT

Ice Cold: A Rizzoli & Isles Novel (Rizzoli & Isles Novels)
Ice Cold: A Rizzoli & Isles Novel (Rizzoli & Isles Novels)
371 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars While I despise cold weather and all that goes with it, I must say I enjoyed this novel, April 8, 2014
This is probably not the best book in which to dive into the Rizzoli & Isles series, but on the other hand it can be read as a stand-alone. I think that this is the eighth book in the series and as you read it, it quickly becomes quite apparent that you the reader are stepping into a lot of situations which have a history. On the other hand we have at least one new character introduced here and this is our first introduction to and organization; The Mephisto Club which will be featured in future novels.

Anyway, like most of Tess Gerrritsen's work this one moves right along and is a fast escapism book. Most of what you read is more or less believable but not so believable that you are subjected to a dry police procedural manual or a how to do it book on wilderness survival. Hey, it you want that sort of thing...get a text book.

Dr Isles, after attending a conference takes a few days go on a sky trip into Montana's back country with an old school mate, his daughter and two of his friends. Their car goes off the road and the nightmare begins.

This work is a bit different in that it is not centered in the Boston area the direct interaction between Isles and Rizzoli is minimal. It should also be noted that the body count in this one is much higher than in one of this author's traditional novels. We do have the underlying theme of a cult (Think Jim Jones), and some semi-hostel local law enforcement officials. There are less autopsy scenes in this one but not lack for blood and gore.

Now I note that some reviewers compare this novel and other novels in this series to the T.V. series based on this crime fighting duo. I cannot give you that comparison as I have never seen the T.V. show and am not likely to do so anytime in the foreseeable future. I like the books though - the entire series.

Now some reviewers have pointed out that there are some flaws in the authors work in this novel as pertains to wilderness survival. this, to a certain extent is true. I my case though I could care less about this aspect of the book. As I said before, if a person wants to know such things there are better places to learn it than through a FICTIONAL novel!

Overall I liked this work.

The Ozarks
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 11, 2014 8:00 PM PDT

The Mephisto Club: A Novel
The Mephisto Club: A Novel
407 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a different slant to this series, April 6, 2014
This is something which is a bit different and readers of this series may be thrown off just a bit. The story begins with the gruesome (I don't know how else to say it) butchering of a young woman who is found with what appear to be satanic symbols present. She has been somewhat dismembered. Soon after the first body is discovered, two other young women are discovered to have fallen prey to this apparent deranged killer. It should be noted that the author has multiple story lines going throughout this novel which eventually blend together although a few loose ends are left here and there. Perhaps they will be tied together in later novels.

Now I like this particular series and did not dislike this work as much as some of the other reviewers. It has Rizzoli and Isles pitted against a killer of obvious superior intelligence and it would appear at times with supernatural powers. Hmmm...this is different. We are introduced to the Mephisto Club, a group of very sophisticated individuals from around the world who are chasing evil - demons, if you will. The entire story relies much of biblical and metaphysical mythology which is fine and dandy if you are expecting it. I rather like this sort of story but in this case the author's handling of it (research wise) could have been a bit better.

Now this is not to say that this is not a well told tale. It is an extremely fast read and the author does throw in enough twists and turns to keep the readers interest going...it did mine anyway. As I said, I enjoyed the book. I must tell you though that Rizzoli's pig headed attitude wore a bit thing at times and Isles acted at times like a teenage dolt.

The police procedural portion of the story was quite well done per usual and the flaws of both the main characters added a certain naturalness to the story; again, as usual.

This is an excellent series and continues to be. If I were the author and had her story telling abilities I would perhaps consider starting a new series featuring this Mephisto Club and sort of taking Rizzoli and Isles out of it. That would work for me and I think I would enjoy the new series. I must admit that I was fascinated by some of the new characters the author introduced.

Overall I enjoyed the novel but can well see why some of the hardcore fans of this series might have been a bit put off.

The Ozarks

Paint Brush Set & FREE Zipper Storage Case/Display Stand ***Lifetime Quality Guarantee*** Acrylic, Oil & Watercolour Paintbrush Selection 12-Piece. Wood Handle, Synthetic Brushes. Art Supplies for Kids, Beginner, Student and Professional Artist by Chameleon Art Supplies.
Offered by Chameleon Art Supplies
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I am absolutely stunned., April 5, 2014
A few days ago my wife pointed out the fact that I have no less than nine coffee cans and canning jars filled with brushes in my work area. This does not count the massive number I have stashed in various boxes and drawers. Why then would I want more brushes? Well because I have a thing for them and for the past 40 plus years have been on a never ending search for the perfect brush....hey, I just like paint brushes...what else can I say?

I have to tell you that the set being reviewed here is absolutely impressive. They are far superior to many of the brushes I own that I paid...well, I am embarrassed to tell you what I forked out for some of them over the years. After examining them, using them, cleaning them and then reusing them I simply cannot find anything to complain about. My major complaint I have always had concerning brushes made of artificial material that it is difficult to load enough paint into them. This is not the case here and these are equal to almost all of my natural fiber brushes in this area. The brushes are extremely well made and durable and if taken proper care of and cleaned well and properly, there is no reason these will not last for years.

The handles are beautifully balanced, long and simply feel good in the hand. A paint brush is a very personal item; you either make a connection or you do not. I fell instantly in love with these things...they simply "feel right," and did so right from the beginning.

The product description provided here by the seller is absolutely spot-on. I also must say that I am extremely impressed with the life time guarantee which is something you seldom see with art brushes.

When using them I found no loss of bristles or any odd bristle hanging out. I did do some very, very minor trimming to the very end of some of the flat end brushes but this is a normal process with me and I have never owned a brush that I did not "touch-up" before using...that is just quirky me and no reflection on the quality of the brush.

I use these brushes strictly for acrylic; having a completely different set for water color that I have used for years although I don't see any problem using these for water colors if so desired.

And then there is the case these things come in. Folks I tell you truthfully that normally I could care less what my brushes come in. I store my brushes in cans and jars (and wooden boxes if I am working outside). In this case though I have to admit that I am impressed, I mean really impressed. The case is so nice that I dread getting it eventually smudged with paint which is the fate of anything that comes near me as I pain. All the nice things other reviewers have said about this case is absolutely correct - it, the case, is rather amazing one its own.

Finally I must say that I am stunned at the cost of these brushes (case included). This is truly a great value.

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 11, 2014 4:01 PM PDT

Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Cover, Royal Purple (does not fit Kindle or Kindle Touch)
Price: $39.99
14 used & new from $29.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful product - I am 100 percent satisfied., April 4, 2014
With almost 10,000 reviews here there is not a whole lot I can add other than the fact that for the life of me I cannot find anything to complain about with this Kindle cover. This cover performs precisely as the description says it does. As other have pointed out, it is a bit heavier than other covers for other Kindles I have and do own, but in my case this is good as I like the little extra heft.

The cover is quite attractive and does a nice job of protection. This fits perfectly into any of my jacket pockets and is easy to carry.

I could not be more satisfied with a product.

Sudden Prey
Sudden Prey
by John Sandford
Edition: Audio CD
Price: $8.95
46 used & new from $3.08

5.0 out of 5 stars A well told action packed tale., April 4, 2014
This review is from: Sudden Prey (Audio CD)
I enjoy the books written by John Sandford. They are fast reads (I have a lot of reading time and can go through one of these in a couple of days...and I don’t read all that fast), they are filled with action, many of the characters are flawed; just like all of us, and for the most part they have very nice endings i.e. the books. This novel, Sudden Prey is no exception.

This is a story of revenge. Our hero and main character and his team are forced (more less) to kill two women bank robbers as they flee their latest hit. The two women happen to be the wife and sister of an extremely violent and sick individual currently in prison. This guy escapes of course and goes on a streak of killing seeking vengeance for the death of his two female relatives...he goes after the loved ones of the cops who were at the scene of the robbery.

Now like almost every police drama I have ever read there is of course a bit of exaggeration present in this fast moving tale. That is to be expected; indeed demanded by most readers. Hey, we are talking fiction here; escapism literature and not a daily diary of a normal hard working police officer. Also these books are not what you would call literary classics. No, they are tales told by a master story teller that are rather fun to read and occupy ones time and most certainly beat most of what is offered on T.V. these days – I am talking reality shows here folks.

Anyway, the story line here is believable and characters quite realistic. I personally know quite a number of guys who could quite well change places with the bad guys in this novel if the circumstances were right.

I enjoy the Prey series and feel this was a good addition although I will admit that there was a lot more shoot-em-up bang, bang is this one than normal...that is okay though...it made a good story.

Srixon Marathon Golf Balls (12-Pack), White
Srixon Marathon Golf Balls (12-Pack), White
Price: $15.97
9 used & new from $12.50

5.0 out of 5 stars An extremly good golf ball at a very reasonable price., April 4, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For the quality you are getting with these Srixon Marathon golf balls it would be extremely difficult to beat the price. I can only match this with the balls I find that other players have lost...to replace the ones I continually loose.

Anyway, these balls perform precisely as the company says they will. I have been playing golf for around 55 years now (Yes, I am still sort of pathetic) and still enjoy the game as much as I did as a young lad. To be honest the distance factory here is a moot point for me at my age. I no longer have the club head speed I had when I was in my youth...it went away and will never return. I get about the same distance with just about any ball I use. Accuracy though is another matter. I can still hit the ball pretty straight and still have good control over the ball.

These Srixon balls have a good feel to them. I am able to get a lot of back spin on them when needed. As to the durability they are quite likely as advertized. I normally loose my golf balls way, way before I damage them but in the case of these balls I was unfortunate enough to hit the paved cart path three times with one ball and there was not a scratch on it. Few other balls I use could have held up under this abuse.

At my age I am well past the point where I attempt to impress friends and other players with expensive gear, clothing, shoes, or anything else. For me if it is comfortable (these balls are), and they work (these balls do), then I am quite pleased.

Say Goodbye
Say Goodbye
by Lisa Gardner
428 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing book but a good read, April 2, 2014
This review is from: Say Goodbye (Hardcover)
I suppose I should start this review off with a warning that this particular work is most certainly not for everyone. It is dark, scary and deals with subjects that most people find extremely distasteful and downright disgusting. A very troubled serial killer, pedophilia, rape, child rape and torture to say nothing of the butchering of prostitutes. All extremely disturbing and not for the faint of heart. So be warned before you start reading this book.

Now we have some extremely good plot summaries in the reviews here so I will hit that aspect of this work lightly. This is the story of a female FBI agent; a profiler, who is caught up in a series of what first appear to be unrelated murders. As the story develops it becomes all too clear that one person; possibly two are the source of all these brutal crimes. Our main character, Kimberly Quincy is several months pregnant and is a complete emotional mess as she becomes drawn into this rather gripping story. There is also trouble at home as her husband, also an FBI Agent, is a type A workaholic the same as Kimberly. Both share dangerous jobs, both love their jobs and each is their own person...troubles, troubles, troubles.

Many of these scenes in this story are extremely graphic and extremely brutal. I will be honest and tell you that I did not enjoy them one bit and personally would have preferred not to read them. On the other hand they were not in anyway gratuitous in nature and did indeed add impact to the story; not so much for their shock value, but I truly feel the author was attempting to send a very strong message here. There was nothing in this book that we are not exposed to on the nightly news, but unlike the nightly news, there was no ghoulish glee as we often witness with the talking heads on our T.V. screens as they do their “reporting.”

The story moves along at a good pace and the author continually inserts sections where we look into the mind of the killer and the killer’s background. There are some very nice twists the author has thrown in just to keep the reader off balance and used these twists very effectively. Once started, this book is difficult to put down.

I cannot say I “enjoyed” this one because of the subject matter, but it did keep me turning the pages and most certainly give me some food for thought.

Motomco 22478 Tomcat Refillable Tier 1 Mouse Bait Station, 1-Ounce, 8-Pack
Motomco 22478 Tomcat Refillable Tier 1 Mouse Bait Station, 1-Ounce, 8-Pack
Offered by Hardware And Tools
Price: $8.98
18 used & new from $5.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Good bait station and effective poision, April 2, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We have been using this Tomcat product for quite some time now; using it in the pure block form and without a feeder box. Our primary problem here is field mice. We go through periodic infestations in our barns, sheds and indeed, back porch. The reason for this is that there is feed and seed stored in each of these places. I personally have nothing against field mice...I sort of like the little critter to be honest with you, but they can cause a lot of damage, spread disease and eat a tremendous amount of grain when they decide to move in with you.

We have found the bait (the green cakes) to be pretty effective most of the time. No extermination method works 100 percent of the time for ever but the results of this stuff over the past two years or so has been quite good. It has cut down on the mouse population a lot and most of the problems we have are the constant stream of new comers.

I like this particular refillable bait station. It is easy to load, the little critters will not haul off the bait, and this station is quite effective in keeping dogs, cats and kids out of it. You can also see through the top as to weather or not the bait is being used and when the thing should be refilled. The plastic is quite sturdy and very water resistant under normal circumstances.

Now we do not find dead bodies of mice all over the place as I suppose they crawl off and die someplace. We sort of measure our success by the number of sighting of the actual mice, the number of droppings we find and the number of seed sacks we find chewed upon. So far the results of this stuff has been quite good. I prefer it to using the snap-kill traps and most certainly prefer it to the free flowing seed form of mouse killer that is so popular.

We have been and are satisfied with this product. It is relatively hassle free.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20