Profile for urbangriever > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

urbangriever RSS Feed (Pittsburgh)

Page: 1 | 2
Discgear Selector 100 Auto Disc Retrieval System (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Discgear Selector 100 Auto Disc Retrieval System (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars ALL MY LOVE, December 30, 2014
I have two old models of these Discgears (a 120 and a 100). These are amazing and I adore them. They're sturdy and I much prefer having the switches to open the top and slider (over the Atlantis models).

I've not had any problems with mine, although I know there's some kind of factory defect that went around. The only issue I've had is that the silver bars on the two switches popped off and I had to re-glue them. No big deal.

My 120 was a gift from my mother for my old CDs when I started redoing my bedroom several years ago. I really wanted one for my video games, so I bought a 100 shortly after. I used to keep all of my video games on my shelves, but my severe dust allergy forced me to rework my living space entirely. To condense all of my discs down into a safe storage case like this is a dream, and they actually look really slick on my shelves. Cleaning is now a breeze.

While they come with list templates, it's much easier to just register on their website and use the printable templates there. That way you can easily reorder discs without erasing or having to start over. It's also really handy if you get anything new or reorganize them.

Atlantic 85012055 Disc Manager 80 Disc Storage - Black
Atlantic 85012055 Disc Manager 80 Disc Storage - Black
Price: Click here to see our price
93 used & new from $19.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Prefer My Old Discgear Models, but This Is Still Great!, December 30, 2014
I HIGHLY recommend these to anyone who has a lot of CDs, DVDs, software discs, video games, etc.

I have two old models of the Discgears (a 120 and a 100). I prefer them because they're sturdier and have switches to open the top and slider at the bottom. Regardless, any form works wonderfully.

My Discgear 120 was a gift from my mother for my old CDs when I started redoing my bedroom several years ago. I really wanted one for my video games, so I bought a Discgear 100 shortly after. I used to keep all of my video games on my shelves, but my severe dust allergy forced me to rework my living space entirely. To condense all of my discs down into a safe storage case like this is a dream, and they actually look really slick on my shelves. Cleaning is now a breeze.

Having acquired more DVDs since then, my mother bought me this 80 disc Atlantic as a really awesome surprise! My DVDs went from taking up three shelves to a small space on one shelf.

While they come with list templates, it's much easier to just register on the Discgear website and use the printable templates there. The website is "meh" in terms of functionality (you'll want to put on a movie and sit down with a cup of coffee if you have a lot of things to type in), but the inevitable convenience is nice. You can easily reorder discs without erasing or having to start over. It's also really handy if you get anything new.

Dulcolax Laxative Tablets, 100 Count
Dulcolax Laxative Tablets, 100 Count
Price: $16.41
44 used & new from $12.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Do the Ends Justify the Means?, November 8, 2014
Tl;dr version: If you can deal with what it does to you, it certainly does the trick. I had no cramping or pain as other have described - my night in the bathroom was horrid, but I felt great by the end.

After I was experiencing the pains of medication-induced constipation, my mother recommended that I try Dulcolax. We had a package from our medicine bag from our recent trip to China and she had great results taking it while we were overseas. This was truthfully not only my first time being constipated, but my first time taking a laxative in my 27-28 years.

I read reviews online, which only made me more squeamish about taking it. To be blunt, I was desperate. The pain was getting worse and worse by the day, and I knew something had to be done when gas began building up without my having any relief or means of passing it anymore. So, I downed a dose, chugged some water, and went to bed.

About 4am, I woke up with the immediate urge to go, and what transpired amidst my sobbing was nothing short of a heinous assault on the lower half of my body. When I thought it was done, I cleaned up and went back to bed, only to have the urge to go some more. "How can this be?" I thought. "There can't possibly be anything left!!"

There wasn't. But the result was much, much worse.

The phrase "peeing from your butt" likely does not sound so bad. Possibly unpleasant. Potentially odd. But the actual act is a vicious, vicious crime against humanity, to the point where I refused to even swallow my own saliva in hopes that the debauchery would cease and I could return to a peaceful sleep.

It did not. It continued for an hour. And by time it was over and I climbed back into bed a final time, I felt ashamed and humiliated and I questioned everything I had ever done with my life up until that point: professionally, financially, socially, physically, and academically.

Needless to say, Dulcolax cleaned me out. After a good night's sleep, I felt absolutely fantastic again. To me, it was worth losing a few hours of my life convulsing on the porcelain goddess and emitting sounds I thought only Louis Armstrong could create.

The relief was immense and satisfying, like ripping off a bandaid with one swoop or that stubborn burp finally coming through after you've tried everything but having someone jump on your stomach. I really would likely take this again if the time ever came. I'm a "get it done now - I don't have time to deal with this" kind of woman, willing to sacrifice my two hours of my bedtime to solve the problem.

I did not experience the stomach cramping a lot of others seem to have had, and once I went to the bathroom that final time, it was done. No residual or side effects the following day.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 20, 2014 7:42 PM PST

DC Collectibles Batman: Arkham City The Riddler Statue
DC Collectibles Batman: Arkham City The Riddler Statue
Offered by Buy 4 Less UK
Price: $118.73
7 used & new from $118.73

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Riddler Piece, October 29, 2014
No self-respecting Riddler fan should be without this gorgeous statue. It's my favorite piece in my collection. The detail is exquisite, and I love the hints of green mixed in with the monochromatic feel. It's quite heavy and sits firmly on its base.

It could probably also do a lot of damage to a potential robber. I'm pretty confident that it'd be the first thing I'd grab for self defense in my house.

CMS NeoPin® 24 Pieces of Assorted Color Neodymium Magnetic Push Pins for Magnetic Whiteboard and Magnetic Message Board
Offered by CMS Magnetics
Price: $11.96
3 used & new from $11.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks Can Be Deceiving - These Are Beastly Little Things!, October 29, 2014
I hate how "teacher" magnets are absurdly expensive for a pack of 4, so I went with these based on the positive reviews. I'm thankful that I did - they are mighty little magnets for their size!

When I got them in the mail, one of my students threw one at the chalkboard to see how well it would stick. THWACK! It was a lovely sound. I demonstrate this often when someone asks me where I bought them.

They're cute, powerful, and handy little things.

I purchased several sets and used 6 to hold up a very large and heavy class flag my first graders made with butcher paper and construction paper. The 6 magnets held the flag up for the entire school year.

CMS NeoPin® 12 Pieces of Assorted Color Neodymium Magnetic Push Pins - Can Hold 16 Pieces of Paper
Offered by CMS Magnetics
Price: $8.88
2 used & new from $8.88

They're cute, powerful, and handy little things.

DC Collectibles DC Comics Designer Action Figures Series 1 Riddler Action Figure
Offered by JT Toys
Price: $18.44
42 used & new from $13.66

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Have for Any Riddler Fan (the cane, though .. seriously?), October 29, 2014
My obsessive Riddler collection continues to grow, and this is up there with the Arkham City statue for me. It's well-made, his expression is flawless, and the material is nice and heavy.

My only complaint is the stinkin' cane ... why is it so cheap when the rest of the figure is high quality? Mine snapped in half when my cat knocked him off my shelf! Regardless, it's a great addition to a collection.

6mm Blue IP Tungsten Carbide Glossy Mirror Polished Wedding Band Ring; Comes with Free Gift Box (7)

4.0 out of 5 stars Blue is Painted On and Will Scratch, but Ring is Still Gorgeous!, October 29, 2014
My boyfriend bought me this as a replacement promise ring since my old one was looking battered. It was a delightful surprise, and I love the color! It's been a few days and I can see the scratches other reviewers are talking about. Truly, it doesn't bother me at the moment. It still looks lovely and makes a statement on your hand with its iridescence.

It's also quite comfortable and slides on and off smoothly.

O'Keeffe's Healthy Feet Cream 3.2oz Jar
O'Keeffe's Healthy Feet Cream 3.2oz Jar
Price: $7.81
90 used & new from $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Cleared the Dryness and Cracks Up, Skin Remained Hard - But Would Still Recommend, October 29, 2014
I've tried a ton of remedies for dry, cracked, and hard skin on my feet. As an elementary school teacher in a large building, I'm on my feet all day and my heels get pretty bad pretty quickly. This cream came highly recommended, so I gave it a try.

Within two days, the dry skin softened and the cracks in my heels vanished! My feet looked healthier than they had in years. However, the skin remained hard. I was pleased with the 2 out of 3 and continued to use the cream as that was the best result I've had since starting this venture. My feet stayed free of dry, cracked skin as I continued use, but I really wanted to address the hardness.

The consistency of the cream is kind of neat! You feel likes you're dipping your fingers into frosting or chipping off a piece of hard slush from your car in the morning. Then, it goes on your feet like butter. The fact that it's scentless is also a big plus.

I recently switched to The Body Shop's Intensive Foot Rescue and it's working wonders. I'd still recommend O'Keeffe's. It was the best product I'd used up until that point, and it's second to Body Shop's IFR for me. Sometimes I alternate the two. Overall, I'd say this one is definitely worth your try if you have ornery feet!

ASUS ROG G750JM 17-Inch Gaming Laptop (OLD VERSION)
ASUS ROG G750JM 17-Inch Gaming Laptop (OLD VERSION)
Offered by Adorama Camera
Price: $1,299.99
53 used & new from $971.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Teacher, Photographer, & Gamer: I LOVE this Laptop!, August 4, 2014
I purchased this laptop on January 28, 2014.

Let me start off by saying that I won't spout out a bunch of specifications and techno-jargon that other reviews have already gone into, because I know people like my mother read these and won't understand a word I might say.

My laptop's primary function is to be at my side at all times, particularly for work. I usually went for cheap and efficient, and I was brand loyal to Toshiba for a while. This time around, I decided to go for a laptop I could complete work AND game on considering that I'm rarely home enough to play on a PC anymore. And, by the time I get home, I want to relax on my chair or bed and play.

Someone recommended Alienware to me, but I refused to ever return to Dell. I'm so glad that I went with ASUS instead.

I only have one tiny complaint, but I'll gush about it first:

This laptop is a BEAST. I've since gotten used to its weight. I made sure to purchase a great case for it, but it still makes me chuckle when I pick up one of my old laptops and feel the difference.

It rarely gets hot and handles games spectacularly (GTAIV, BioShock Infinite, Dead Space 3, and, my guilty pleasure, The Sims 3).

I do a LOT of typing and really needed a decent keyboard. The keyboard is quite comfortable and I've yet to have a problem with it. I especially love that only the function keys different in size, a step up from my previous laptop. My old touch pad used to get in the way of my speedy fingers. That's no longer a problem thanks to this layout. My hands tend to get a bit sweaty while using it because of deck's aluminum, but I'll take it. I'm also spoiled by the keyboard's backlight. I've never really needed it, but it's a delightful addition.

It has a great picture and powerful sound. I often favor using it over my TV + consoles or iPad to watch movies, YouTube, and TV. The matte display prevents glare, which is also extremely helpful to me when I'm editing photographs. That being said, I'm pleased at how well it handles my general "menagerie" of programs, particularly Sony Vegas Pro and Photoshop. It never gets hot when I'm rendering a video and the speed is a huge improvement over my old computers.

As others have already said, the battery life is a sacrifice, but it really isn't atrocious. Mine will last about 3 hours when playing a game nonstop with about 3/4 brightness, about 5 hours streaming YouTube videos with minimum brightness.

I'm a teacher and use a lot of projection programs and hardware (mostly ActivInspire with Promethean Boards). This laptop handles it far better than my work-issued laptop with no sacrifice in speed or performance.

I've had a lot of success livestreaming and using Fraps and BandiCam to record gameplay. This is not something that was possible on a laptop for me before.

I also love the rubber lid, particularly because I have a bad track-record with surface scratches.

Speedy start-up. 7 months later, this laptop still runs like a dream for me.

The only "complaint" I have regards the CD/DVD drive. It's a flimsy, fragile thing when I compare it to the ones on my previous laptops ... and, it might just be my accident-prone nature, but the cover has popped off several times. I'm generally very careful with my technology, but I was typing at my desk at work one day and the door just randomly popped off. I was able to snap it back on (even though a small part of it had clearly broken off). I didn't have a problem with it it for a while until yesterday when it wouldn't close! While I wouldn't be shocked if it was something that I did, I can say that's the only negative experience I've had with this laptop ... and, even then, it's not much of a negative.

I recommend this laptop to the professional and gamer who wants a portable powerhouse capable of handling their work and gaming. As a gaming teacher, I positively adore it.

Page: 1 | 2