Profile for Tommy T > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 18

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Tommy T RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
All Your Favorite Bands
All Your Favorite Bands
Price: $8.99
57 used & new from $4.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Good One From Dawes, June 10, 2015
This review is from: All Your Favorite Bands (Audio CD)
Like many well conceived, written and performed albums, All Your Favorite Bands takes multiple listens to really appreciate.

This album has a consistent, cohesive tone and vibe. The more you listen, the more you'll see this for yourself. There's some wonderful guitar work. Well written/delivered lyrics. There's some nice experimentation/evolution to be enjoyed by longtime Dawes fans. It's a solid piece of work and most importantly an enjoyable listen.

I struggled a bit with the slower, calmer studio versions of songs I had first heard live. However, I've come to appreciate the studio renditions. I do miss that intro guitar riff Taylor had at the beginning of live versions of Completely Honest though, still wish that had made the album!

Other than that, thank goodness there are still real bands making real music. Dawes continues to carry the flame of real songwriting with beautiful melody and meaningful lyrics. May Dawes stay together for a long long time!!! Pick this up, people!

Spider-Man by Zeb Wells & Joe Madureira (Avenging Spider-Man)
Spider-Man by Zeb Wells & Joe Madureira (Avenging Spider-Man)
by Zeb Wells
Price: $18.27
41 used & new from $4.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Collection, December 25, 2013
Let me start off by saying I am an huge Joe Madureira fan, so keep that in mind when reading this review. I think you can certianly enjoy this book even if you are totally unfamiliar with his work, but my review is definitely impacted by my perception of Joe's work.

This collection is excellent. The printing is beautiful. The design and layout of the book is classy, elegant, works well. The pages are reproduced at a larger size than the original comic books which is great. It's an all around wonderful presentation of some awesome comic books.

As for the content, I think these are some of the fines superhero comic books of the last few years. This book features two three issue arcs from different comic book series. The first three issues of the collection are from Avenging Spiderman, this is a self containted story. The second part of the book features three issues of Savage Wolverine, again a self-contained story.

Avenging Spidey stuff: The story is simple, fun, humorous, action packed. The characterizations are well done. The art is stellar. This little romp reminds me of something you might see played out on a Saturday morning cartoon. There's a fun vibe to this one, as any good Spiderman story should have. Good read, good art, what more can you ask for?

Savage Wolverine: This is my personal favorite of the two arcs featured in this collection. I am impressed by how much Zeb Wells and Joe Madureira were able to squeeze into this short three issue arc as far as plot, character development and resolution. There is a bit of a more serious tone to the Wolverine material as compared to the Spiderman stuff. This makes sense and works well. These three issues read wonderfully. The art here is exceptional. Joe Mad drawing Wolverine, Elektra, Kingpin and ninjas among other cool stuff is just perfect. There are some well written, appealingly designed new characters introduced within this little arc as well. Truly well done comic books.

Truth be told, I'm here for the Joe Madureira artwork. I've loved his stuff for many years and I think he's truly doing some of the finest work of his career at Marvel right now. This collection highlights some of his finest stuff and presents it in a fitting format. This being said, I genuinely enjoy these stories as well. They're fun to read. They entertain and are at times even moving. This is truly excellent comic book stuff, there's not enough work of this quality on the shelves today.

There are a few nice little extras in this book too. Some of Joe's pages are reproduced in their original pencil form, always a treat to see. There is a small selection of design sketches, old Joe Mad covers, and Humberto Ramos sketches among other things. If I have one complaint about the book it is that I would like to have seen more additional material to make this special collection all the more distinct.

If you're a Joe Mad fan, Zeb Wells fan, superhero fan, etc. you will love this. If you just want to read some true comic booky comic books with excellent art and writing, this is the book for you. This book gets my highest recommendation, buy it!

Joseph Christian Leyendecker: 225 Golden Age Illustrations - Annotated Series - J.C. Leyendecker
Price: $2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars OK Leyendecker selection., December 5, 2013
It's great to see a collection of JC Leyendecker's work available digitally. I'm thankful that the authors took the time to put this together.

However, this could be a lot better. First off, several illustrations featured here are not by JC. At least one is by his brother Frank. Second, the selection of work is not particularly varied or comprehensive. It seems to fall in a limbo zone, in this regard in my opinion. Black and white reproductions of color works is also not ideal.

It's cool to be able to have some JCL on my phone but I think this incredible talent deserves a more refined presentation of his work.

WildC.A.T.S. Compendium (WildCATS Covert- Action- Teams) - (Issue #0 packed with book)
by Jim Lee
13 used & new from $3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine Example of 90's Comics, March 14, 2013
Much respect to the other reviewers, I totally understand where you're coming from with your criticisms of this book. If you don't dig what 90's comics where all about, you may find these early issues of WildC.A.T.S. to be a tough read.

Personally, I love this stuff. It's fun, flashy, intense Saturday morning action adventure, with and edge and some cheese. This is what I grew up on as a kid of the late 80's and 90's. I miss it. These are comics at the peak of their popularity and before they started trying to look like movies. These are in your face, over the top action adventure superhero comics, no holds barred.

Jim Lee is the star here. His art is fantastic. His X-men and Wildcats work will always hold a place of especially high esteem in my personal evaluation of his catalogue. Aside from the glorious illustrations, Lee created some striking and memorable characters here too that endure to this day. True, The story is not overly complicated, but why should it be? Just go for the ride, have fun, enjoy the exciting art and characters. See a creative powerhouse at the peak of his abilities. Have fun!

WildC.A.T.S. Compendium, good stuff, pure 90's gold.

Survival & Other Stories
Survival & Other Stories
Price: $13.99
46 used & new from $7.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful Songs, January 2, 2013
This album is beautiful. Jon Andersons voice is excellent, the melodies are striking, the instrumentation is wonderful.

Beyond the technical aspects of the music, what hits me most are the powerful messages contained in the lyrics. Anderson presents a moving, positive vision of life as seen from his spiritual perspective and understanding. His lyrics drip with wisdom and truth.

I personally cannot find a bad track on this album, though some are clearly stronger than others.

"Incoming" is my favorite track. The lyrics, melody, everything...incredible. This track gives me chills thoughout my body every time I hear it. Good chills. It's so clearly coming from an inspired place.

"Just One Man" is one of the most beautiful songs I've heard written about Jesus Christ. It moves me to tears.

Many great tracks, listen for yourself.

Highly recommended!

Art Adams' Creature Features
Art Adams' Creature Features
by Art Adams
19 used & new from $16.30

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Arthur Adams collections, June 12, 2012
I have been an Arthur Adams fan for a long time. My interest in his work was dipping for a while, not because of anything to do with my perception of its quality, I was just distracted by other things. I recently re-discoved my love and enjoyment of Mr. Adams' stuff and have been going through my collection re-reading what he's done. I've concluded that this particular collection is one of the finest representations of Arthur's work and what he is all about as an artist. Arthur Adams loves giant monsters, gorillas, dinosaurs and beautiful women. There's a little bit of all of those things in this collection. It's a great little statement on Arthur's vision.

Re-discovering this collection makes me yearn to see Arthur return to this kind of material. I hope we'll see him do some more big monster stories again soon.

If you are an Arthur Adams fan, this is a must. If you enjoy fun, beautifully illustrated comic book stories this collection is for you as well.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Three and a half stars is probably more like it..., April 9, 2012
I really wanted this album to amaze me. I believed it would. I pre-ordered it based on the strength of the EPs Michael Kiwanuka had been releasing prior to his full length debut. Songs like "Tell Me A Tale" and "I'm Getting Ready" (both featured on the full-length album as well) sounded like new classics to me and I was very excited to hear a full album from this artist. Unfortunately, for me the album does not live up to the promise of these tremendous songs.

The album starts strong with the songs I mentioned then kind of pitters out after that. There are a few decent tracks, some nice melodies and such but nothing nearly as strong as "Tell Me A Tale" or "I'm Getting Ready". The album feels unbalanced. I find the vast majority of the tracks on this album to be a bit too slow and meloncholic. Slow tunes are fine but there needs to be a more substantial counterweight. This is of course based solely on my personal taste, some people may totally dig these tunes, they're just not for me.

One song that is noticeably missing from this album is "I Need Your Company". This is a great Kiwanuka tune that was released on an EP. A song like this would add some needed pep and balance to this sleepy collection. I'm surprised it was not included especially since the album is so short at only ten tracks.

As problematic as I find this particular release, Kiwanuka is a big talent and I look forward to hearing much more music from him in the future. I selfishly hope that he'll go with the more invigorating, uplifting direction he appeared to be heading with "Tell Me A Tale" and "I'm Getting Ready" more often.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 9, 2012 4:06 PM PDT

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Volume 1: Change is Constant
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Volume 1: Change is Constant
by Tom Waltz
Price: $13.47
70 used & new from $4.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Great New Take on the TMNT, March 4, 2012
IDW's TMNT is my favorite monthly comic book right now. I'm a Turtles fan, grew up with them so there's a lot of personal nostalgia for the characters. Nostalgia aside, this creative team is making good comics. The writing on the book is great. There are a lot of fresh ideas as well as cool twists on concepts already explored in earlier incarnations of TMNT.

Dan Duncan and the art team rock on this book. Duncan's Turtles look cool, they're expressive, full of character and personality. He does a great job with the rest of the cast as well. Duncan is a good storyteller, he can handle action just as well as quieter moments. Beyond Duncan's contributions, the colors and overall presentation of the art is quality as well.

Solid story and characters coupled with great art, lovin' this rendition of the TMNT. Pick this up!

Weapons of the Metabaron
Weapons of the Metabaron
by Alejandro Jodorowsky
17 used & new from $18.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Should have been amazing..., November 14, 2011
I had never been more excited about a comic book project than I was when this collaboration between Jodo and Charest was announced. This artist and writer combo appeared to be a match made in comic book/sci fi heaven. The short preview story featured in Alpha/Omega only served to raise the hype. I read and re-read that story for years imagining what the completed graphic novel would be like. I was so hyped for years for this project. Eventually the wait just dragged too long though and my interest faded. Finally, the book came out in France. I ordered the French edition.

Now finally it's in English so I can read it. Definitely not worth the wait. The art is amazing but there is too little Travis Charest material considering the amount of time it took for this work to reach publication. The story is also nothing to write home about.

Sadly another comics project that did not live up to its potential.

That said, the book is worth buying for the artwork alone.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 12, 2012 7:51 AM PDT

Battle Chasers Anthology HC
Battle Chasers Anthology HC
by Joe Madureira
11 used & new from $200.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Unfinished but amazing..., November 14, 2011
Battle Chasers never came out on time, but when it did it blew everything else on the shelves away. Solid story, cool characters and absolutely incredible artwork from Joe Madureira made this book a powerhouse of awesomeness. There was never anything as cool as BC before it and there hasn't been anything near as great on all levels since.

The stuff still holds up and looks better than ever presented in this glorious deluxe hardcover format. The pages are reproduced beautifully. There's some great unreleased material including pages from the unpublished tenth issue and some wonderful concept sketches from Joe Madureira.

They don't make comics like this anymore. Don't hesitate, buy this collection and enjoy the magic.

Page: 1 | 2