Profile for Matthew T. Cunningham > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Matthew T. Cunningham "ma1746" RSS Feed (Halifax, MA USA)

In the Kingdom of Ice: The Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage of the USS Jeannette
In the Kingdom of Ice: The Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage of the USS Jeannette
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent must read for all history fans., April 30, 2015
Excellent book, very well written and truly a page turner. I actually felt sad as I got toward the end because I knew my time was running out. If you have any interest in naval history, or exploration, it's a must read.

Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy
Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 12, 2014
Awesome! Learned more about the period from this book then I ever did in school.

Angels of Mercy: Two Screaming Eagle Medics in Angoville-au-Plain on D-Day (Normandy Combat Chronicles) (Volume 1)
by Mr Paul Woodadge
Price: $19.47
25 used & new from $15.47

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute must read for WWII fans., June 14, 2013
I have been facebook "friends" with Paul for a couple of years now, he is an extremely well known and well respected tour guide in Normandy. He periodically posts stories or pictures to correspond with veterans return visits to the sites they fought at almost 70 years ago, as well as pictures of how battlefields look today. When i found out he was writing a book, i knew i couldnt miss it, as anything with his name attached would be a labor of love and respect. I can honestly say, i was not disappointed. This book is about two American paratroopers, medics, who in the heat of a battle in Angoville-au-Plain decided that every injured man/woman/child in their vicinity, whether French, American, or German, needed to be treated the same. These men risked their lives, setting up a field hospital in a church, to make sure that as many people as possible would live through that battle, it is truly a heartwarming story. Written by a born Englishman, living in France, about American paratroopers, this book just drips with respect and admiration for the sacrifices of Allied troops during this terrible but necessary war. I can not wait for the day that i am browsing my facebook news feed and see an announcement from Paul about a future book project. Absolutely and whole heartedly recommended for anyone with even a passing interest in WWII stories.

VIZIO E601i-A3 60-inch 1080p Razor LED Smart HDTV (2013 Model)
VIZIO E601i-A3 60-inch 1080p Razor LED Smart HDTV (2013 Model)
5 used & new from $700.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised., November 11, 2012
I am kind of crazy when it comes to tv's. I tend to upgrade every other year or so, and am never completely satisfied, always needing the "next best thing". This year i was kind of in a bind, my living room had a beautiful pn51D7000 samsung plasma hooked up to a 5.1 surround system, but i just needed something bigger. The samsung plasma had a beautiful picture, but i watch a ton of movies and really wanted that "immersion" that a bigger tv provides (especially with the surround sound) My fiance thinks i am crazy for wanting a bigger tv, and wasnt entirely supportive at first because she thought i was going to spend a ton of money. So, i did my research, and was amazed at how much prices have come down even over the past year. I initially was going to stay with plasma as i loved the fact that i didnt see any motion, and loved the truly inky blacks. I did not need 3d, as my samsung had it and i probably only used it twice (not that it looked bad, i just dont like wearing the glasses as it made everything even darker than a plasma already is) My criteria this time around were basically 60" screen, good picture and bright vibrant colors under $1500. I have never owned a vizio before, i have always owned samsungs and lg's, my thoughts were that vizio was a cheap brand that sold cheaply made products. When i first heard about this E601-A3 on amazon, and saw the price, i figured it would be very cheap and i would hate it compared to the samsung. I then started reading reviews, and figured with amazon's awesome return policy that i might as well try this tv, knowing i could return it if it wasnt up to my high standards. I ordered it on a tuesday and received it friday, mounted it on my wall and was very surprised at the quality all around. The tv is beautifully thin, basically looks like a picture frame around the screen. The picture settings needed to be tweaked, and i am still tweaking them a little but the picture now is almost perfect. I tend to mess with settings the first 2 weeks i have any tv anyway, but i have no doubt i can get the picture to look exactly how i want it to look with a little more time. As far as flashlighting or light bleeding goes, it is there. It must be an inherent problem with all side lit led tv's, but i will say i only notice it when turning the tv on or off. When i am watching HD content, whether its through fios or on blu ray the black looks very very close to how my plasma looked, it really is that good. And i notice no light bleed in the corners at all, which is something i half expected. The smart function works very well, i use netflix all the time and love how easy it is to bring up movies/shows. A lot of people complain about the remote, i actually enjoy it and think its designed perfectly. Last but not least, i love playing sports games on ps3 and absolutely cannot have a tv with any lag whatsoever. This tv comes equipped with a gamer mode in the main options, it allows you to turn the mode on for all of the preset picture modes (vivid, standard, movie etc) and works flawlessly! i notice absolutely no delay or motion blur WHAT SO EVER. Very very very impressed, this tv makes a baseball game look like i am actually there, i actually have to squint when looking at the lights or the sun, its that good! Sorry for the long review, but i was in a huge bind over whether or not to get another plasma or try out an edge lit LED. For a tv this solid, with the options it comes with and the quality of the picture, i would have EASILY paid $1500. Just please get a surround sound system if you get this tv, a tv this nice deserves it!
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 27, 2015 4:37 PM PST

Neptune's Inferno: The U.S. Navy at Guadalcanal
Neptune's Inferno: The U.S. Navy at Guadalcanal
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $11.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply can not put it down., October 17, 2012
I have read Hornfischer's last stand of the Tin can sailors, and was in love with that as well. This book slipped by me, I didn't realize it was out untill about 2 weeks ago (only a year late). Anyone with any interest in ww2 u.s. naval operations, this is a must read!

Mediabridge ULTRA Series HDMI Cable (6 Feet) - High-Speed Supports Ethernet, 3D and Audio Return [Newest Standard]
Offered by Mediabridge Products, LLC
Price: $8.99
3 used & new from $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Just a good as $100 cables, if not better!, September 28, 2012
From now on, whenever I need hdmi cables, this is what I'll buy. Fast shopping, excellent quality. A+ and definitely recommended!

Samsung PN51D7000 51-Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3D Plasma HDTV (Black) [2011 MODEL] (2011 Model)
Offered by MODIA

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable, February 18, 2012
I'm not one to typically write a review on a purchase, but for other people in the led vs plasma debate this will hopefully be useful. I picked up a pn51d7000 at best buy a week ago due to them throwing in a 3d blu ray player and 2 sets of glasses for free. I usually buy almost everything on amazon due to their prices and convenience but due to the 3d package I couldn't pass this deal up for $1300. Anyway, all I've owned over the past few years were led tv's, I tend to prefer a brighter, less realistic picture over the darker but motion issue free plasmas, my preference changed the second I saw this tv in store. This plasma is as bright as my beautiful lg lh42 in my bedroom, with better more vibrant colors and absolutely no motion issues. This tv is the most beautiful set on and off that I have ever laid eyes on. I have not heard a single buzz, nor have I seen a single light fluctuation in the slightest. I can honestly say that after having this tv in my home the past week, I would have easily paid double what I paid, it's THAT good. The 3d is something I wasn't interested in when I was shopping, but I watched piranha 3d (horrible) but the visuals and depth blew me away so much that I ordered a dozen 3d blu rays online today just to use the feature more. Buy this tv, you'll never want anything but plasma again, and I was one of the most anti plasma people you'd ever meet untill last Friday..

LG 42LH90 42-Inch 1080p 240 Hz LED Backlit LCD HDTV, Glossy Black/Infused Blue
LG 42LH90 42-Inch 1080p 240 Hz LED Backlit LCD HDTV, Glossy Black/Infused Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than expected!, March 1, 2010
I recently purchased this tv from adorama camera through amazon, and let me say while i was VERY nervous about buying something so large and expensive online, i am happy to report this transaction was better than any i have ever had in a store. The first obvious hang up was not being able to see this tv's picture in person, but honestly i dont believe the major retail stores accurately display these tv's anyway due to differences in feed (standard dvd through blu ray) When i first opened the box (delivered 6 days after my purchase) i found the tv in immaculate shape, no damage to the box or any of the components inside. The tv was very easy to set up, i replaced a 32 inch sony bravia lcd in my bedroom with this model, and its an absolutely incredible upgrade in every way, and i loved my bravia. I have this tv hooked up to an hd dish network receiver, and a ps3. Games and blu ray movies are unbelieveable, i also have a 46" samsung lcd in my basement and thought that that tv had the best picture quality i have ever seen untill watching this one. The colors are incredible in this model, the clarity is astonishing, and you have the ability to manipulate the settings to your liking. I must warn you that when you first plug this tv in, you will get a sinking feeling in your gut like you made a mistake. This tv absolutely needs to be calibrated!! I know very little about programming tv's, blu ray players etc, so i went to CNET and used their recommended picture settings with some minor alterations. I tend to like a brighter picture, so i use the vivid setting with some tweaks. For some reason, the 240 hz feature to me makes the picture appear worse so i turn that off, as most reviews state to do. But this tv when calibrated to your liking cannot be beat. I debated between this tv, and the samsung un40b8000. I absolutely love my 46" samsung, and the company name obviously speaks for itself. But with that stated, this tv is cheaper and fully led backlit while the samsung is side lit. My only problem with the lg is the cabinet size, it really is massive for a 42" set. But if i had to make the decision again, id purchase the LG in a heartbeat. You will love this tv