Profile for S. J. Koblentz > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 220

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. J. Koblentz RSS Feed (Columbus, OH United States)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
For A Lost Soldier
For A Lost Soldier
DVD
Price: $9.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Approach carefully, and be willing to overlook the production values, November 18, 2014
After hearing about this movie, I found that I could stream it on Amazon so I got to watch it. The story is fairly straight forward, and based on the book of the same name, which was autobiographical. I will warn you that this is not a movie for everyone, and the plot alone explains why this story did not receive wide attention in the U.S.

A choreographer in 1980s, who has difficulty communicating his ideas, thoughts and desires, Amsterdam receives word that the man who was his foster father during WWII has died. He returns to the town when he lived with the family for the funeral and encounters his preteen self, which propels the movie into the past to tell the story of his time with the foster family, and of his crush and subsequent love affair with an adult Canadian serviceman following the liberation of the Netherlands. We see that as a child, the preteen self cannot communicate freely due to dialect barriers, the greatest one being between the service man and himself. This leads the movie show how their repressed selves find communication methods that are more physical than verbal. There are scenes of intimacy between the man and the teen. There is also an implied, brief, coitus between the two, which is not graphic, but unsettling. The movie wraps up with the teen meeting his older self on the boat back to the man's adult life in the city they speak and the man reemerges "whole" and at peace with himself. We find that he has worked hard to communicate what he expects of his dancers and is rewarded.

The performances, for the most part are well done. The actors portraying the soldier and the teen are as believable as one could imagine. However the production quality is very rough, and the beginning and ending dance scenes are simply cliche in the worst possible sense - they are laughable and they detract from the revelation at the end of the movie, which is not explored, just presented and the movie ends. It's these production values (lighting, subtitles that seem Spartan (no pun intended) and the staging) that detract from the film.

Therefore, I can only give the film two stars.

Metrokane 9959 Rabbit Springing Muddler, Stainless Steel
Metrokane 9959 Rabbit Springing Muddler, Stainless Steel
Price: $13.04
2 used & new from $13.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, simple to work: a winner!, November 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really do like the Rabbit Springing Muddler very much. The materials are good and the fit and finish are very good as well. Rather than just providing something with which to crush, this muddler tip twists with a gentle push down. The tip works well with both square bottom glasses and round bottom. Making a mojito from scratch just got a whole lot easier. I recommend this item, without any reservations.

Electrolux Ergorapido Limited Edition Realtree Xtra Camo Cordless 2-in-1 Stick and Handheld Vacuum EL2003A
Price: $119.00
3 used & new from $119.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy, well built light weight sweeper., November 3, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am thoroughly impressed with this lightweight cordless sweeper. Of course it doesn't have the power of a standard machine, but it's great on hardwood floors, tile floors and resilient flooring. We have to two dogs and it is fantastic on the dog hair.

The unit itself has a solid feel, and while I'm not a camo fan, I have to say that the finish on the sweeper is first rate.

You do have to assemble the unit, but it's only one screw. We also found that the hand held unit, that contains the motor and collection bin takes a bit of effort to separate that unit from the handle/sweeper head unit.

Overall though, this item gets my highest rating for exceeding my expectations.

Betta Bridges Pets Natural Tear Stain Remover For Dogs-More Effective Than Tear Stain Pads
Price: $17.98

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work, dog didn't like it, and colloidal silver is a key ingredient., October 31, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We received the product and decided to try it on white Pom/Eskimo mix's eye stain area. After a week, applied as normal, there reayy was no change. Then I went back and looked at the label and looked up the ingredients online from reputable sources. One of the ingredients, "colloidal silver" if simply frightening. According to the Mayo Clinic, colloidal silver serves no nutrition value, but is widely marketed as a supplement. Granted, the dogs are NOT ingest this product. But absorbed through the skin, colloidal silver doesn't leave the body, and over time can cause skin to turn a bluish gray. That was enough for me.

And I am seeing a lot people in these reviews saying how they bathe their dogs weekly. Unless your vet recommends that, STOP IT. It's not good for the dog. Brush to redistribute skin oils and a good diet are good grooming.

Me, I'm going back to simply daily cleaning of the tear stains, with some water on a soft cloth. The dog is happier, and this stuff is out of my house.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 3, 2014 2:06 PM PST

OXO Good Grips Perfect Cut Twine Dispenser
OXO Good Grips Perfect Cut Twine Dispenser
Price: $14.99
7 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great design, works very well., October 9, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
What I love about all most all Oxo products is that they are simple, well designed and for the most part (I say this after getting one of their knives and finding it well below Oxo's normally well thought out standards) they feel good and solid. However the "twine" that this unit handles isn't a "ultra" heavy duty kind. More like household strength.

This twine/string dispenser is one of those objects. The parts fit well. The logic behind every aspect is well thought out and designed practically. The twine "cone" fits under the dome. You thread the lead of the string/twine up and then down the spindle center, and then it has a notch for the string to exit on the bottom. The unit that cuts the string sits in an attached caddy and you can cut the twine there, or you can remove the cutter and use it if having the whole unit is impractical. What's nice about that cutter is it fits snugly in its seat and doesn't drop out if you turn the unit over, yet it removes easily.

I can recommend this product with no reservations.

Corel CorelDRAW Home and Student Suite X7 (3-Users)
Corel CorelDRAW Home and Student Suite X7 (3-Users)
Offered by 3Brothers348
Price: Click here to see our price
52 used & new from $57.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, easy to love, October 9, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have been trying to master full blown Photoshop for years, without any success. I can do the most rudimentary things with the program. One day I will get, it, but its taking this amateur a long time.

The reason above is why I discovered how much easier it was to get comfortable with CorelDraw and Student Suite X7. Between the interface and the suggestions/help that the program provides this was a painless program to work on and through. Watching the video tutorials also helped. They took up almost 2 hours of time, BUT if you figure out how long you could spend cursing under your breath when you can't get a program to do what you want it to do (or what you think it should do) when you didn't think watching the videos are needed and I feel viewing them is an excellent investment.

Like any graphics package software, you need enough "Umph" from your PC to run the program smoothly. I had it running on a Dell 64bit and 4g of memory and had no problems with it. I also loaded it on my MacBook and it didn't skip a beat.

While I understand that Photoshop is the "standard" for image editing, I can whole heartedly recommend this product for the home user. I really enjoyed it and look forward to using it in the future.

OXO Good Grips Mini Santoku Knife
OXO Good Grips Mini Santoku Knife
Price: $12.15
14 used & new from $6.01

2.0 out of 5 stars I can't determine this knife's purpose., October 5, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First, this OXO Mini Santoku Knife has a good grip, and out of the package, a sharp edge. And then it gets confusing.

This is not a chef's knife, but it is shaped like a stunted one. It's not suitable for cleaving. And it can't function as an all purpose knife. And this is why it's confusing. What is this knife for?

So I tried it with some parsley, and it worked. And I could use it to mince garlic. But, I could do any of this with a good chef's knife.

Bottom line, it works, but it isn't a must have.

George Foreman GRP1060B 4 Serving Removable Plate Grill, Black
George Foreman GRP1060B 4 Serving Removable Plate Grill, Black
Price: $29.92
12 used & new from $26.93

4.0 out of 5 stars Basically, it does what it promises, but without bells or whistles., September 21, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We received this product from Amazon and it was a first for us. We are not appliance people in the kitchen and we normally don't seek out items that "do" a specific task unless it has versatility. The outer case looked good, no cracks or cheap seems. Opening it up, we found two non-stick grille plates, top and bottom; removing those we found two electric heating elements. The cooking plates snap easily in and out via a metal clip on each side. A drip plate was also included, but its loose - no way to snap it onto the grille housing for easy storage. There are no controls, save for a two light indicator - red to show the unit is plugged in and ON, and greenish yellow light that indicates when the grille is up to temperature.

Our first meal were boneless chicken breasts, which were supposed to take ten minutes, but according to the food thermometer needed more time to come up to temperature. They finished in 15 minutes and were nicely brown on top. The meat was tender and not dry. Cleanup required that we unsnap the heating plates once they cooled and washed with dish detergent and a nylon scrubby as not to mar the coating. Because they appear to be aluminum, I can't recommend a dish washer.

Second meal, burgers. Again, took a bit longer than first thought, but them came out chewy. Our neighbor said that you get the best result by making them thinner and simply laying the top grille down and not pressing the meat. We tried that and found the burgers less tough and better cooked.

Over all, and by my four star rating, we like the appliance and we like the way the food is cooked. We felt the instructions were very basic and the print is small.

I can't say that I love it because its one more thing to store in an already small kitchen, and there is no way to snap the drip pan to the unit - so now you are storing two things and keeping track of them.

But on the whole, it does do what it promises to do. Just be forewarned - other than plugging it in, there are no controls. It operates at a present factory temperature and you MUST unplug the unit after you remove the food.

Dragon NaturallySpeaking Home 13.0, English
Dragon NaturallySpeaking Home 13.0, English
Price: $74.99
14 used & new from $74.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy installation and easy to operate, September 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I found this product light years ahead of a previous version that I tried five years ago. Installation was easy, and I encountered no problems with my PC, running the latest build of Windows 7 64bit. The interface was easy to use, and after a few stops and starts, I was cruising along. I especially liked the tutorials, and highly recommend that beginners work through them.

For basic home use, I recommend this version over the upgraded version, but I still would advise you to read through the features before you buy this product.

All that said, the one thing that makes this product work is being organized ahead starting a project. And no voice recognition program is going perfect you thoughts, or remove your input regarding editing. That is still up to you.

Epson Expression Photo XP-860 Wireless Color Photo Printer with Scanner and Copier
Price: $222.57
25 used & new from $213.99

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best. An amazing machine., August 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a very nice, accomplished printer, with some amazing features. The case has a very complete, carefully designed look and feel. We have another, earlier generation all in one Epson, and it is brilliantly designed, however the XP-860 is simply brilliant. The flip up control panel and paper output trays are now automatic. Turn the printer on, the control panel raises. Print a page and the output tray extends on its own. Shut the printer off and they close like magic.

Print quality is nothing short of gorgeous. And images can be printed edge to edge on the paper if you desire. Colors are, as Epson is known, VIVID and sharp. The fax works, both in sending and receiving. You have the option of setting it for automatic or manual operation. The copy utility works well.

Now, there are a couple things that you should keep in mind. USE Epson paper for best results. Epson ink is different than HP ink and they absorb differently. Another reason to use Epson paper, and I tell you this from experience, general copy paper will, over time, score any print head that comes in contact with paper. Consider this fair warning.

Secondly, the paper cartridge on this printer is very shallow. Unlike our older model that feeds the paper from the back, this printer uses a slide in cartridge to hold the paper and it isn't very deep.

THIRDLY, and most importantly - follow the directions on the install very carefully.

Fourthly, this printer uses two Cyan, two Magenta, a yellow and a black cartridge, and the cartridges are not large.

This printer now replaces a terrible dog of a printer, the HP6100 which is going in the trash, and I say that quite gleefully. Compared to this Epson, the HP is junk, and a horrible ink hog.

Overall, I am very pleased with this printer, its features and its build quality. So my five star rating means that I really do love this printer.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20