Profile for Jason Yarn > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jason Yarn "Drowned God" RSS Feed (New York, NY)

Between Meals: An Appetite for Paris
Between Meals: An Appetite for Paris
by A. J. Liebling
Price: $12.00
86 used & new from $2.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes you long for the good old days..., September 30, 2004
This is a fantastic book, but if you've never cracked The New Yorker open before, you might not like the style. Very in the moment and tongue in cheek, Liebling is a master wordsmith leaving no offense done to him by the onset of modernity unheckled. Some of the greatest tidbits come when he derrides the famous Michelin Star rating system for French restaurants, now a standard that chefs have literally killed themselves over - Liebling reminds you that its just a rating from a TIRE manufacturer and that he feels it marked the decline of real French cooking.

I read passages of this book out loud to friends and family, most notably the ones dealing with the immense amounts of food, and always got a laugh. This is not a book dealing with the upper crust of French high society, but rather a street wise, in the guts little tome that entertains and educates - though sadly, it is unlikely one can find the Paris that Liebling describes anymore.

Final Fantasy IX Official Strategy Guide (Video Game Books)
Final Fantasy IX Official Strategy Guide (Video Game Books)
by Dan Birlew
54 used & new from $7.17

1.0 out of 5 stars I Felt ILL..., December 4, 2000
when I finally got this guide home and saw that all it really was , was an idiotic advertisement for Play Online. Brady Games has lost me as a customer, and has taught me the valuable lesson of looking at a guide before I buy it to make sure this doesn't happen again. I yearn for the days of VERSUS Books and their FFVII style guide. I was upset when I had to settle for Brady for FFVIII and now I am just sick to my stomach that I have a worthless guide in my hands. My computer is far away from my play station and so I am unable to use the book to any success. Squaresoft should be ashamed with itself.