Profile for Mark Hammond > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 120

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mark Hammond RSS Feed (Chambersburg, PA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Horrible Stories I Told My Children
Horrible Stories I Told My Children
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Stories was the funniest book I have read in years, March 18, 2013
I think I am a lot like the author of the book in that I liked to tease my son when he was young. R. A. Ellis slso liked good nstured teasing of his kids, but he did it in a much more elsborate manner. It amounts to a combination of teasing along eith some imaginative tall tales thrown in for extra spice. I usually read books before falling asleep at night. My roaring with laughter for several minutes disrupts the bedtime ritual a bit. It is all good fun.

It is hard to realize that this book was written by a well-known martial arts writer under a pen name.

The Devil's Pool
The Devil's Pool

5.0 out of 5 stars LA MARE AU DIABLE, March 10, 2013
This review is from: The Devil's Pool (Kindle Edition)
English translation of a French classic by George Sand. This is he first tim I have ead it in English. It is a short book, a quick read, and it gives insight into the French ideas about mariage.

The Daughter of Time (Inspector Alan Grant Book 5)
The Daughter of Time (Inspector Alan Grant Book 5)
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The study of history presented as though a criminal investigation., February 16, 2013
I was delighted to read this book. Having been a college history major and a person trained in the law, it had a special appeal. It is a great treat to see a commonly held belief about history proven to be wrong. Yes, there were conspiracies and cover-ups in medieval times, as well as political intrigue. It is like Game of Thrones unfolding, and peeling away the layers of history and falsehood to find the truth.

I give my thanks to the trusts and estates lawyer who recommended this book to me. Thanks, Patti. I enjoyed the book.

Warrior Wisdom:  Ageless Wisdom for the Modern Warrior
Warrior Wisdom: Ageless Wisdom for the Modern Warrior
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Lessons for life, not just for martial artists., February 4, 2013
This book reminds me of conversations with my sensei. It is a reminder that we are all warriors, and it does not matter if we are in the military or not. This is not just for martial artists. You don't have to be a karateka or a judoka to benefit. The way of the warrior is a reminder to follow codes of conduct and morality for the benefit of ourselves, our community and our families. Live the life. Walk the walk.

Taijiquan [With DVD]
Taijiquan [With DVD]
by Li Deyin
43 used & new from $14.56

3.0 out of 5 stars Book by a master Taiji practitioner, July 11, 2012
This review is from: Taijiquan [With DVD] (Paperback)
The author Li Deyin was recommended to me by my Tai Chi instructor. I had been interested in securing a DVD on the Yang-style simplified 24 position form (also called the Peking form).

The book is geared to the advanced practitioner of Tai Chi. It is not a "Tai Chi for Dummies" kind of book that will tell you how to do Tai Chi forms. It has a discussion of Tai Chi in China today, a brief history of Grandmaster Li's family involvement, a brief history, and advice for Tai Chi practitioners, including beginners. Step-by-step descriptions of a number of Tai Chi forms are included in the book, including: 81-step Yang-style Tai Chi form, 24-step Taijiquan, 42-step Taijiquan, 42-step Taiji [straight] sword; and 32-step Taiji [straight] sword.

The attached DVD has examples of the Tai Chi forms beautifully presented by champion Tai Chi athletes.

Recommended for serious Tai Chi students.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 27, 2012 2:17 AM PDT

Bleu Noir
Bleu Noir
18 used & new from $9.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the wait, January 12, 2011
This review is from: Bleu Noir (Audio CD)
This CD is probably the most expensive pop music CD, and I was trying to secure it from international sources before it became available in the United States. The most attractive purchase price for me was buying from Amazon.com as a pre-order. From my point of view, it was well worth both the wait and the price paid. Over the years, I have had a problem with some pop music CDs because they typically have only one or two good songs. Not the case with Bleu Noir. I found real value in this disk. It was a worthwhile purchase.

The music was a collaboration between Mylene Farmer and Moby, RedOne, and Archive. Of the collaborators, I am probably familiar most with Moby. She had previously collaborated with him in the past. Quite frankly, I like the collaborations between Mylene and Moby better than Moby's solo works. Most of Mylene's prior work was done with Laurent Boutonnat. The current CD is more danceable than earlier CDs. The lyrics are less "edgy" than earlier work. I usually like to read the lyrics (included in the liner notes) as I listen to the music. Nothing really THAT controversial here.

One thing that remains constant is the musical complexity of the work. It is such that it keeps drawing you back to listen again and again. It will take a long time before I tire of this CD. And when I have had my fill, I will go back to listening to some of her earlier CDs such as "Ainsi soit je", "Avant que l'ombre," and "Point de suture." You need not be a franco-pop enthusiast to enjoy this disk. Good music transcends differences in languages.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 3, 2011 10:52 AM PST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for a serious martial artist, October 3, 2010
I am one of those people who carries a lot of different martial arts weapons in an old military duffel bag. It is convenient, but not really so. If you spend good money for weapons whether they be sais, tonfas, kamas or escrima sticks, you have to take care of them. You need to find them quickly for classes or practice, and you need to have them protected from banging against each other and against other items which may be in your bag. It is convenient for me to have my sticks in a separate case. They are together and are easy to find. It makes my getting ready for weapons training easier, and consequently I feel less rushed because the sticks are more available to me.

Johnston & Murphy Men's Garrigus Saddle Oxford
Johnston & Murphy Men's Garrigus Saddle Oxford

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic design, as comfortable as wearing sneakers, September 12, 2009
The Johnston & Murphy Men's Garrigus saddle shoe is a classic design. Some may consider it to be a bit "retro." This is the kind of design you often see in golf shoes, and it is one of the preferred designs for swing dancers. This is one of the most comfortable pairs of saddle shoes I have ever owned. It is well cushioned, and I find that the kind of sole the shoe has makes it much more danceable than the traditional "coral rubber" soles you often see on saddle shoes. I've always had a problem with coral rubber soles. The J & M Garrigus dances well. That is a positive for swing dancers.

France Flag Polyester 3 ft. x 5 ft.
France Flag Polyester 3 ft. x 5 ft.
Offered by ANLEY
Price: $4.89
25 used & new from $0.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Reasonably priced French flag suitable for academic use, April 3, 2009
I recently purchased two of these flags as gifts for university professors with whom I have studied. Although this is not the kind of flag that one would want to have outdoors at all times, it is sufficient to have for academic purposes. It is nice to have a French flag in an office, at French club meetings, and the like. It helps get into the mindset of things French when one is studying French grammar and literature.

I was pleased with this purchase, and I was delighted with the service I received from the vendor of this item.

Omron HEM-780 Automatic Blood Pressure Monitor with ComFit Cuff
Omron HEM-780 Automatic Blood Pressure Monitor with ComFit Cuff
3 used & new from $125.00

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the kind my doctor recommended, April 1, 2009
Last year, I was diagnosed with high blood pressure. My family doctor wanted me to track my blood pressure over a period of time to see if my medication was what was necessary. I had tried to track my blood pressure using the mechanized machine at a local pharmacy, but the doctor said it might not be sufficiently accurate. The doctor recommended the kind of cuff that fits snugly over the upper arm. He said the kind of cuff that fits over the wrist was not sufficiently accurate.

I have been pleased with the ability to both track my blood pressure on a daily basis, as well as the memory feature which records blood pressure on the monitor itself.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12