Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for Muffie > Reviews

Browse

Muffie's Profile

Customer Reviews: 17

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Muffie "Muffie" RSS Feed (lost in a paradigm)

Page: 1 | 2
The Revolt of the Cockroach People
The Revolt of the Cockroach People
by Oscar Zeta Acosta
Price: $13.55
129 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many actual insects, January 22, 2016
I haven't managed to read the book more than the first part, will update when I do. However, I wanted to warn people. The 1989 Vintage Books edition with a forward by Hinter S. Thompson and afterword by Marco Acosta has drawings of cockroaches printed throughout the book. I found it too revolting to read. I'm purchasing a different edition so I can finish the book.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Zoo Med PowerSun UV Mercury Vapor Lamp 100 Watts
Zoo Med PowerSun UV Mercury Vapor Lamp 100 Watts
Offered by Fat Happy Pets
Price: $41.18
40 used & new from $34.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, December 18, 2014
It lasted about 6 months. I was underwhelmed by this thing.

Callaway Golf UPRO MX+ GPS Device (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Callaway Golf UPRO MX+ GPS Device (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

1.0 out of 5 stars Edit: It is NOT worth even the Discontinued Bargain Price!, December 18, 2014
This review is from: Callaway uPro MX Plus GPS (Sports)
I have had this GPS for over a year with somewhat regular use. I'm a duffer during semesters and a regular player between them. This device is no longer supported by the manufacturer, so critical software and firmware updates are not available. The GPS is no longer accurate. It can locate me enough to tell me which courses are nearby, but it cannot locate the course map itself. All of my yardages seem to be in relation to coordinates it has listed for the course itself, even my home course. All my yardages are listed in relation to the pro shop on my home course.

While the $20ish price tag for the discontinued GPS is very attractive, I would recommend against purchasing it as, in my experience, it cannot be used to play golf.

Ask Me About My ADHD T Shirt Funny Squirrel Flip Shirt 2XL
Ask Me About My ADHD T Shirt Funny Squirrel Flip Shirt 2XL
Offered by Crazy Dog Tshirts
Price: $20.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The outside of the shirt is great, but the squirrel on the bottom, December 18, 2014
The outside of the shirt is great, but the squirrel on the bottom, which seems clever in the picture, wasn't nearly as much fun in practice.

Mister Roberts
Mister Roberts
DVD
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, December 18, 2014
This review is from: Mister Roberts (Amazon Video)
I have always loved this movie. It just gets better after reading Paul Fussell.

Exo Terra Natural Waterfall with Pump - Small
Exo Terra Natural Waterfall with Pump - Small

2.0 out of 5 stars I made it work, but I wouldn't buy it again, even if it does look nice., September 30, 2014
I have two of these, one in each of my 18x18 exo terra cages. I have two milk snakes. I have bioactive substrate with live plants, which my subterranean buddies love. The problem was maintaining a level of humidity for the substrate and a water dish wasn't handling the problem. So, the waterfalls. They keep the cages maintained at a comfortable 30% humidity. If I had to do it again, however, I would build the waterfall into the cage rather than add this one.

First, it stinks. The stench of the plastic material took months to go away, and this included a lot of time spent cleaning, boiling, baking, soaking in vinegar, sitting in the sun, bleaching, and anything else I could think of. I cannot believe these things are non-toxic from the reek alone.

Second, the back cover does fit, but there is nothing about the cover that gives me any confidence that it will stay in place with a vibrating water pump and gravity, let alone an active snake moving around it. I solved the problem by getting brown colored hair bands all cloth and elastic, that I wrapped around waterfall around just to keep the cover on. It is not attractive, but it is effective and the brown doesn't draw attention to itself. The backs do not come off without me moving the band, the snakes do not get caught in the band, and I can remove for cleaning as needed.

Third, the water. I add about 6 ounces of water to it a day, which pleases me since that water is part of the viv's hydrologic cycle. My scaly friends have never had better sheds and the scales look and feel supple and shiny. However, there is no built in method for water filtration. I've jury rigged a a filter by cutting up a sponge-like pad for fish tank filter systems. With dirt and moving animals with bodily fluids, the water gets ammonia and nitrates in it, which leads to icky bacteria colonies. Even if I had different substrate, this would still be a problem because the snakes climb all over the thing and any substrate would get into it, except carpet, and even then, the snake would leave stuff in the water. If nothing else, the chunks of whatever can get into the pump and ruin it. It was not designed to filter out stuff. I'm going to switch to aquarium floss and biological media for turtle tanks to see what happens. I've stopped using tap water and started using purified water, which ups the costs of viv maintenance.

It does what I want it to, but it is far, far more trouble than it is worth. I've had both of these in operation for nearly a year without any difficulties with the pump. I do have to unplug them when I won't be home within 24 hours---evaporation might lead to overheating the pump. At some point, I will replace these with a built in fountain, one that allows for proper water filtration.

Dirt Devil Accucharge 15.6V Cordless Bagless Stick Vacuum, BD20035RED
Dirt Devil Accucharge 15.6V Cordless Bagless Stick Vacuum, BD20035RED
Price: $61.10
23 used & new from $41.24

4.0 out of 5 stars Convenient, but could be more powerful, August 28, 2013
I've had this thing for a couple of months now and I use it at least once a week. I have mostly rugs and tile, with one carpeted room (office type carpet). It's powerful for what it is. I'm used to a Kirby, so I initially thought it was a piece of junk. However, it's a stick vac and it just doesn't have the motor to be that powerful. It picks up dirt, lint, and hair well. I have no pets in the home, but I have long hair that I have to cut from the brushes pretty regularly (I have to do this with every vacuum I've used). It also pulls the fiber out of the carpet. It does not pick up small objects that I'm used to vacuums picking up, such as really small pieces of gravel. It does not pick anything up in the tile grout. I find a lot of the stuff on the tile pushed to the grout rather than swept up. I usually spend about half an hour at a stretch with the vac and have had no battery problems. The canister is small, however, and I've had to empty it of long pieces of carpet fibers in the middle of vacuuming. It only does this to the carpet, not any of the rugs. I like how I can quickly empty the canister and, after I'm doing vacuuming for the day, wash it and the two filters in the sink. I am disappointed in its performance on the tile. I wanted to do less sweeping than I am. Other reviewers of a variety of stick vacs have suggested putting pressure on the handle as they vacuum floors, but the swivel joint between the handle and the sweeper makes this very difficult. Nevertheless, I do find that there's a lot less to sweep up and the sweeper is small enough to fit under a lot of furniture, like shelving units, couches, chairs, tables, and curio-type cabinets. It's light weight, but not so light that it can't be easily handled, it does the job. I gave it four stars rather than five because I expected better performance with the tile than I've gotten and because it can pull fiber from the carpet but not pick up small pieces of gravel (about half the size of fish tank gravel or less).

The Arlington Reader: Contexts and Connections
The Arlington Reader: Contexts and Connections
by Lynn Z. Bloom
130 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Cost for content, January 5, 2012
This book is far too expensive for a companion text in a composition course. I did appreciate the wide variety of essays to choose from, wider than most readers. There is a large variety with different themes and different structural strategies pulled from many authors across for several decades. The one drawback is the lack of "research paper" type essays, ones that you'd normally find published by professionals in scientific fields or by writers discussing scientific theory. It isn't a textbook, however, but a reader. There are other readers that offer the same thing at less cost to the student. While the book is a good one, it doesn't distinguish itself enough from cheaper readers to warrant asking students to pay nearly twice the amount for this book in addition to a course textbook.

If I were to purchase this book for its essays rather than its use as a textbook, it's well worth the price, which is why I gave it four stars instead of three. It does have a large number of essays and it has background for them. As an essay reader myself, I've thoroughly enjoyed the book.

For Her Own Good: Two Centuries of the Experts Advice to Women
For Her Own Good: Two Centuries of the Experts Advice to Women
by Barbara Ehrenreich
Price: $13.41
130 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars One take on the medicalization of women, April 19, 2008
This was a well researched (I spot fact-checked a few of the footnotes) and well written book about the history of the "Woman Question." The "Woman Question" changes over time, but it is a social class centered issue. Ehrenreich and English combine Conflict and Feminist theoretical perspectives without getting technical about it to give a solid backdrop into the history of how the medical and psychiatric/psychological professions came to understand what it means to be a woman and how women are. It takes a very different perspective of the same history we all share than do more traditional perspectives of medical history. People interested in women's issues would find this interesting.

Calculus
Calculus
by Ron Larson
Price: $271.82
194 used & new from $19.44

3.0 out of 5 stars I hate this book, April 6, 2008
This review is from: Calculus (Hardcover)
I almost never use the lessons in the book. I skim for theorems, properties, and whatnot. The lessons themselves are difficult to understand because the theory isn't linked to the problems in clear language. If it weren't for the professor providing that missing link in class, I wouldn't learn anything with this book. On the days I missed class, I get a headache trying to figure it out on my own with the book. The problems in this book are outstanding, though. I get a solid understanding of the material through excellent practice.

Page: 1 | 2