Profile for Joshua Davis > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Joshua Davis "Joshua Davis" RSS Feed (San Francisco, CA)

Hugs and Misses: 30 Postcards of Awkward Romance
Hugs and Misses: 30 Postcards of Awkward Romance
by Wilhelm Staehle
Edition: Cards
Price: $9.95
62 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely Fun and Unexpected, December 4, 2014
Staehle is one of the most inventive and skilled designers in America. He constantly surprises, which is the hallmark of great talent. Case in point: his two postcard books. When was the last time you saw a book of postcards? It's like a time machine that only costs ten bucks. Completely fun and unexpected.

My Heart Is an Idiot: Essays
My Heart Is an Idiot: Essays
by Davy Rothbart
Price: $18.72
101 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Glimpse of America, July 12, 2013
I felt like I was seeing the raw underbelly of the country: highway travelers, greyhound riders, saintly inmates and the drunken elderly. What makes these encounters extraordinary is Rothbart's absolute commitment to go anywhere and try anything. Many of these stories are about moving from place to place - he's a man in motion - but straightforward journeys have a way of turning into epic adventure because Rothbart opens himself up to it all, like a giant satellite dish sucking in signals the rest only hear faintly. It's thrilling.

The End of Money: Counterfeiters, Preachers, Techies, Dreamers--and the Coming Cashless Society
by David Wolman
Price: $19.25
73 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fascinating Window Into the Future, February 21, 2012
In the October 2008 issue of Wired, Wolman profiled techy-saavy Egyptians who were trying to overthrow the government. 3 years later, those same Egyptians led the revolution. Wolman has his finger on the future, which means that "The End of Money" is a must read for anybody who wants to understand the world we are going to live in. We are moving towards a cashless society right now and Wolman's investigation uncovers the details of how that transition is taking place. You can get on a plane and try to figure it out for yourself, or you can buy this book. I recommend the book. It's cheaper and the former Secretary of the US Treasury says everyone should read it.

The Instigators (Kindle Single)
The Instigators (Kindle Single)
Price: $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Backstage Pass to a Revolution, May 4, 2011
I remember reading Wolman's story in Wired a number of years ago about these no-account revolutionaries in Egypt. They tried to fly a kite as a protest but they couldn't even get it in the air before Mubarak's thugs beat them. I remember thinking, "Nothing will ever change." Well, I was wrong and Wolman was right to bring these students to our attention. Those same kids who couldn't even manage to fly a kite have just re-written the rules of revolution. This in-depth look at how they did it is fascinating and important. But it's also thrilling to feel like you are right there with them as they overthrow a government.

Some Small Dive
Some Small Dive
Price: $16.51
9 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, May 8, 2006
This review is from: Some Small Dive (Audio CD)
The perfect mood music for martini hour at home. I've been mixing myself a drink, putting this on the stereo and dancing around my living room in my bathrobe. My wife thinks I've lost it but I'm having a great time.