Profile for oeokosko > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

oeokosko "The One and Only" RSS Feed (Sussex, United Kingdom)

Radio Show
Radio Show
8 used & new from $8.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Deceptive?, January 4, 2012
This review is from: Radio Show (Audio CD)
It doesn't look it from the cover - a bit boring, an old bloke with a hat - but Count Arthur Strong (really a 30-/40-something bloke) is the funniest comedy creation I've ever heard; a tight, pompous, blundering malaproper (sp) who leads all conversations into the wilderness and blames everyone else. Check out the clips on the net and see the comments on Amazon.co.uk. You'll be glad you did, you will have something side-splittingly funny* that you can listen to again and again - but please, not whilst driving!

* Everyone's taste in comedy is different, but if you find Count Arthur funny, you'll find him VERY funny.

Web ReDesign 2.0: Workflow that Works (2nd Edition)
Web ReDesign 2.0: Workflow that Works (2nd Edition)
by Emily Cotler
Price: $47.31
89 used & new from $0.36

1.0 out of 5 stars One for the bin, July 29, 2010
This comment is about the 1st edition (note: it has the same dimensions but is a shorter book and consequently is a lighter weight).

As a physical entity, I think it is the worst-designed book I've ever tried to read.

It is fantastically heavy (THUMP!!! as it hits the floor), yet the pages are flimsy and, being landscape format, hang down under their own weight. I guess they expected me to read it flat on a table, with flat lighting so that the sheen of the paper doesn't reflect light. Additionally, the font sizes are too small and the colour contrast not strong enough for the font.

As a guide to web redesign, well, puleeease! OK, I am biased because my wrist is still aching from holding the book, but the authors and various contributors spent so many pages in the introduction blowing the trumpet for the authors and the virtues of the book that, by the time we got to some substance, my only reaction was "I've read this before, and more clearly explained, in several other cheaper and shorter books." I saw two illustrations of redesigns but couldn't make out what I was supposed to be looking at/for because the text was too small and in white on a light blue background, and the layout was confusing with no clear reading route to follow.

A terrible book. I would give it zero stars if I could.

Try "The Elements of User Experience", "Don't Make Me Think!" and "Designing with the Mind in Mind".
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 22, 2013 10:23 AM PST

The Collapse of Complex Societies (New Studies in Archaeology)
The Collapse of Complex Societies (New Studies in Archaeology)
by Joseph A. Tainter
Price: $45.36
84 used & new from $26.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, July 12, 2010
I read this for private study, to try to understand where we are, how we got here, and where society is heading. The book is a difficult read at times, particularly the details of ancient societies I had never heard of. However, away from these specialist areas, the book is very readable and the general thrust excellent as it explains a lot about our society and what the future holds in store for us - but not when.

A follow-up expanding on the last section of the last chapter - "Summary and Implications: Contemporary conditions" - covering the 22 years since the book was published, including the collapse of the USSR and our current financial and economic mess in the West and shift of economic power (back) to the East, would be most welcomed.

La Bodeguita Del Medio
La Bodeguita Del Medio
Offered by newbury_comics
Price: $7.99
13 used & new from $5.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Carlos Puebla gets my vote!, May 29, 2004
This review is from: La Bodeguita Del Medio (Audio CD)
'A music fan from Washington, DC USA' should realise that not everyone shares the American paranoid view of Cuba. If you think this is good, then listen to the CDs of Carlos Puebla's revolutionary music. Americans, listen and try to understand, if you are big enough.

Negro Succes
Negro Succes

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't judge this CD by its cover - Love it!, January 29, 2004
This review is from: Negro Succes (Audio CD)
All songs are excellent. Bavon Marie-Marie was Franco's younger brother, by six years, and every bit as great a guitarist. The sound is quite similar to OK Jazz, but more mellow. With the exception of one gorgeously smooth love song, the tracks groove all the way through with high energy guitar and loads of sax, the last one also incorporating native Congolese drum rhythms. Classic soukous! I love it!
Better of the two Sonodisc Negro Succes CDs simply because it is the longer. Total time 68:42, this CD of Negro Succes hits from the late '60s has songs composed by Bholen (3), Bavon Marie-Marie (3), Mujos (2), Alphonso (2), Gaspy (3), Zozo and Morro.

Naluki Yo Trop Elodie
Naluki Yo Trop Elodie

5.0 out of 5 stars Surrender to the groove!!!, January 28, 2004
This review is from: Naluki Yo Trop Elodie (Audio CD)
I am listening it to now as I work in my office and I just thought I should let any fortunate soul who stumbles across this review know that: if you like late 60's Congolese soukous (the REAL, classic soukous), buy this CD on sight; if you don't know late 60's Congolese soukous yet, take a chance with this as it is beautifully sweet, melodic groove music with loads of sax, closer in style to African Fiesta than to OK Jazz.

Total time 55:21, this CD of Vox Africa hits from 1967/1968 has compositions by Bombenga (10), Papa Noel (2), Samy and Silis - the cover lists Sam Mangwana and Dalienst as band members.