Profile for Larry L. Kistler > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 24

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Larry L. Kistler "llkistler" RSS Feed (Belmont, California)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Ndega Zvangu
Ndega Zvangu
4 used & new from $30.00

5.0 out of 5 stars One of top five in 300 CDs, March 17, 2005
This review is from: Ndega Zvangu (Audio CD)
Simple acoustic guitar, lyrics written from the passion of the soul working through the agony of loved people passing, sung by a man who's been through the suffering of Apartheid and the fire of protest. This is one of the top five of my 300 CDs and every week it gives me peace and strength. Tuku's voice is husky and rich and his guitar style simple and beautiful. Buy this CD...support music that supports freedom from tyranny.

Nikon Coolpix 5700 5MP Digital Camera w/ 8x Optical Zoom
Nikon Coolpix 5700 5MP Digital Camera w/ 8x Optical Zoom
19 used & new from $50.84

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Results, Inadequate Flash, Difficult Service!!!, October 19, 2004
My family fulfilled a dream Christmas, 2003 when they gave me the Nikon Coolpix 5700. Upsides: 1. This camera delivers fantastic results. 2. It feels good in the hand. 3. It's compact for its power. 4. Good price for the quality. Downsides: 1. The built-in flash is a joke. It's way under-powered. 2. The digital zoom is also a joke...obviously added only to be competitive on marketing comparison lists. 3. Nikon Service is structured in such a way that it's almost impossible to talk to a person and the back-and-forth of impersonal response forms with no person's name on them and no phone number is enough to make me move to another company's product line for my next camera.

On the last day of our trip in June, 2004, to Yellowstone National Park, my Coolpix 5700 stopped powering up. When we got home, I logged onto the [...] and followed the links to warranty service. After shipping my baby off to Nikon, I received one of those form letters in the mail, informing me that the repair would cost $203.00 dollars and listing -$203.00 warranty allowance with a net of $00.00. No additional information of any kind about the problem. (In other words..."Trust us") At the bottom of the form were instructions for logging in to nikonusa.com and approving the repair. Ok...since there are no charges, they're going to sit on my camera and not repair it until authorized to do so? Exactly why did they think I sent it to them anyway? So I logged in and clicked in the approval checkbox. The window went away and gave me no response of any kind either there or in email to indicate acknowledgement of the approval. So what if the web connection malfunctioned?...or the programming was less than stellar? How would I know except that my camera would never be repaired? A week later, I received my baby in the mail...took it out of the box and read the included form (yes, another form with no contact name). It said two boards had been replaced. I turned it on and it came alive! I tried to take a photo...but couldn't!!! because they obviously had not tested it and the entire panel of adjustment buttons on the left side of the camera were non-functional!!! At this point, I'm not very happy. There was an 800 number on the form returned with the camera and I actually was able to speak with a live person and explain the problem. She was wonderful and sent me a pre-paid shipping form in email.

I sent it back (per instructions) and am right back where I started with trying to get some response or information out of the nameless corporate entity.

SUMMARY: I love my camera...I hate the way the Service web pages have been programmed and the protective walls that have been put up to prevent me from talking with a live person. Dear Nikon...if you won't talk to me, just who do you think is going to buy your next camera line?

Chinese Language: Fact and Fantasy
Chinese Language: Fact and Fantasy
by John Defrancis
Price: $21.84
67 used & new from $5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Academic and readable -- superb description of the issues., December 3, 1999
In struggling with some way to get a handle on how to learn Chinese characters in my first Mandarin course, I found Dr. Defrancis' wonderful text, The Chinese Language: Fact and Fantasy.
He had me hoodwinked and hornswoggled through the early part of the first chapter with only an inkling that something was not quite right. Great device for introducing a complex subject. I'm just now finishing the book and plan to re-read that first chapter now that I'm wearing a new set of evaluation tools.
Is the language at all phonetic? Somewhat phonetic...not at all phonetic? Was it sometime? Will some alphabetic system replace characters? What schemes have been tried in the recent past?
These are some of the questions that Dr. Defrancis tackles and worries over like a barnyard dog. Once he gets hold of an issue, he doesn't let go until he's examined every single aspect.
This is a really rewarding text if you're interested in the Chinese language. (Oh yes, what exactly is meant by 'language' anyway?...read the book for a great discussion.)

ABC Chinese-English Dictionary: Alphabetically Based Computerized (ABC Chinese Dictionary)
by John DeFrancis
29 used & new from $3.12

2.0 out of 5 stars No English-to-Chinese, no character lookup, November 29, 1999
I guess I've been spoiled by starting out with the most incredible dictionary (Chinese Characters: A Genealogy and Dictionary edited by Rick Harbaugh) and probably find the ABC Chinese-English Dictionary a disappointment because of that.
There is no English-to-Chinese lookup (there is in the Harbaugh dictionary).
There is no character lookup (there is in the Harbaugh dictionary).
There is no bopomofo lookup (there is in the Harbaugh dictionary).
Too large and heavy to pack around campus along with my other books (the Harbaugh dictionary is small and very compact and light enough that I take it everywhere).
I'm hoping that through time I will begin to appreciate the ABC but right now it truly pales in comparison with the Harbaugh work.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3