Profile for Raj > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 39

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Raj RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Great and recommended - but not as mind-blowing as the Nest Thermostat, December 8, 2013
I pre-ordered three for my house. I installed them about a week ago. Installation was straightforward, though I had one unit that just wouldn't power on until I messed with the screws on the battery cover a bit.

Things that I like about it so far:

- very striking design
- like the "nightlight" feature when you walk by (though my kids seem to be too short to consistently trigger the light)
- love the voice interface

I'll probably really like it over time but it's not as immediately mind-blowing as the Nest Thermostat, whose features such as remote control and scheduling were useful right away.

EliteBook 8470p B5Q11UT 14.0" LED Notebook - Core i5 i5-3320M 2.6GHz - Platinum
EliteBook 8470p B5Q11UT 14.0" LED Notebook - Core i5 i5-3320M 2.6GHz - Platinum
Offered by B Plus Multimedia
Price: $849.95
7 used & new from $375.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this laptop unless your company buys it for you, September 19, 2013
This laptop reminds me of the typical nondescript white sedan available at most car rental counters; it's reasonably comfortable, has decent horsepower, and has okay range. I understand why a corporate IT department would select this computer. It's very standard and has a good number of inputs and output. But I'd never spend my own money on one.

The keyboard doesn't feel substantial, the monitor has a very low resolution, and the machine looks heavier than it feels.

If an IT administrator, have at it. If you're buying a computer for yourself, go get a Macbook or a Thinkpad.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 2, 2014 5:27 AM PDT

Nest Learning Thermostat - 2nd Generation T200577
Nest Learning Thermostat - 2nd Generation T200577
Price: $249.00
33 used & new from $209.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Much more useful than I expected, August 30, 2013
I have to admit. I bought this mostly as a gadget geek wanting the coolest tech. I thought I was being a little nutty for spending $250 for a thermostat. But I'm really impressed with how functional the thermostat is. I change the temperature all the time from my bedroom or TV room. And I really like how easy it is to set a schedule. It was impossible to figure out the scheduling feature of my cheap-o old thermostat.

Velodyne vPulse Black In-Ear Headphones with Inline Microphone
Velodyne vPulse Black In-Ear Headphones with Inline Microphone
Offered by AudioSurplus
Price: $45.00
17 used & new from $36.96

2.0 out of 5 stars Great headphones - bass, fit, and flat cord (UPDATED), July 8, 2013
I bought these headphones based on a review at the wirecutter. I've tried (and lost) every major brand - Logitech UEs, Shure 215s, Shure 515s, etc. These are probably the most comfortable because I get a very secure fit without having to use the comply foam (admittedly a subjective opinion as everyone's ears are different).

Other, less subjective pros:

- love the flat cord
- bass is amazing
- good clarity in the mids, decent in highs

Cons:

- still prefer over the ear headphones for comfort and sound quality over the long period (Grados rock) - but that's probably not entirely fair.

UPDATE: I like these but after 4 weeks, the right earbud fell out of it's housing. I kept putting it back in, and finally lost the piece, rendering the headphones useless.

Unfortunately, I was on the road and needed a new pair of headphones ahead of a 4 hour flight. I picked up a pair of Shure 215s at an airport kiosk. I had forgotten how great Shures are built. Cord is nice and thick. And I know sound quality is subjective, but the Shures have a much tighter, cleaner sound. Just seems much better constructed than the vPulses.

Apple MacBook Pro MD212LL/A 13-Inch Laptop with Retina Display (OLD VERSION)
Apple MacBook Pro MD212LL/A 13-Inch Laptop with Retina Display (OLD VERSION)
37 used & new from $898.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Macbook AIr or Macbook Pro Retina?, November 20, 2012
I agonized over this purchase. In fact, I purchased the 13" Macbook Air first, used it for two weeks, and then exchanged it for this Macbook Pro. My rationale initially was that the $500 premium wasn't worth it. Sure you get an extra 4 GB of RAM and a slightly faster processor, but the real reason for spending the extra money is for the retina display. I read the reviews which pointed out the i5 processor (in the base model), the dual core, and most importantly, the lack of a discrete graphics processor as reasons to get the 15". But I carry two laptops (a work-issued PC and my personal Mac) and couldn't handle the weight of the 15".

So I figured the $500 I'd save would make it easier for me to justify replacing the Macbook Air in a year or two when Apple inevitably introduces a Macbook Air with a retina display. Then I spent a week agonizing over it, before finally breaking down and just getting the Macbook Pro.

So this is what I realized - everything I said above - and to myself - is true. The more rational decision is to buy the Macbook Air. But it doesn't matter. The retina display is worth it, despite the shortcomings of the 13". Everything is so crisp. Any applications that have detailed rendering or images are way more detailed (Evernote thumbnails look so great). When you spend hours every day in front of a computer, your eyes will thank you for looking at the crispest and clearest screen.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2012 10:39 AM PST

Grado Prestige Series SR325is Headphones (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Grado Prestige Series SR325is Headphones (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by BESTBUY'S
Price: $349.99
6 used & new from $209.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, heavy, September 11, 2012
I have to admit, before I purchased these, I thought the reviewers who were complaining about the weight of the headphones were being overly picky. After all, I've had the SR-60s for almost 10 years now, and they are very comfortable to wear. Nope. That was good feedback. These headphones sound great, but they are super heavy and the included ear pads do make my ears sweat.

UPDATE 10/18/12 - I've been using these headphones for a little over a month. My head got used to the difference in weight and for some reason my ears no longer sweat. Sound just keeps getting better on these. I'm upgradng my review to a 4.

DEWALT DW2570 #12 Countersink with 7/32-Inch Drill Bit
DEWALT DW2570 #12 Countersink with 7/32-Inch Drill Bit
Offered by MHS Inc
Price: $8.50
22 used & new from $7.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice countersink bit, August 4, 2012
Being an obsessive shopper, I looked around quite a bit before buying a countersink. Dewalt's are the best made. The bit is strong, the depth is easily adjustable. I initially bought the #6, #8, #10 combo pack, but needed a larger size, so I bought this one. And I've got proof - the guy at home depot told me, "this is the best one we've got".

Fisher-Price Zen Collection Infant Seat
Fisher-Price Zen Collection Infant Seat
Price: $72.92
5 used & new from $66.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best infant seat, August 4, 2012
We're on child number three, and have purchased a new infant seat for each one (I hate storing stuff). This is by far the nicest of the bunch. Real wood on the base, the fabric on the seat feels like real cloth and looks nice, and the music & sounds are not annoying. My only, very minor, complaint is that the mobile falls out pretty easily.

How to Cook Everything Vegetarian: Simple Meatless Recipes for Great Food
How to Cook Everything Vegetarian: Simple Meatless Recipes for Great Food
by Mark Bittman
Price: $20.30
170 used & new from $11.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Best all-around cookbook, January 8, 2011
Everything from pancakes to mac & cheese to veggie burgers, this book has EVERYTHING vegetarian! Lots of introductory sections if you're a beginner. A great deal.

Sony Bloggie Touch Camera, 4-Hour (Silver)
Sony Bloggie Touch Camera, 4-Hour (Silver)
Offered by PIP GAMING
Price: $345.01
8 used & new from $65.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good if you need a dedicated camera, November 23, 2010
Overall I like it, though I'm beginning to really question why I need a dedicated camera when the newer smart phones take such great video and photos. I don't know that it performs that much better than my iPhone 4 that it's worth carrying a separate device. That said, if you don't have an Android or iPhone, and want a dedicated device, this is a good one.

Pros:
- Video quality is crisp and clear
- Records at 60 frames per second, which gives the videos a very smooth look when you're panning or changing focus
- Dedicated buttons for taking a picture and recording video
- Sturdy construction
- HDMI out

Cons:
- Touch screen is very laggy
- UI is not straight forward. I had to go to the manual for basic operation.
- No mac software at the moment (though iPhoto picks up photos and videos fine)
- Low light video recording is grainy

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4