Profile for Winter > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 347

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Winter RSS Feed (USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Wolfenstein: The New Order - Xbox One
Wolfenstein: The New Order - Xbox One
Price: $39.99
68 used & new from $33.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A Well-Done, Much Deserved Update, July 10, 2014
It's really easy to make Nazis the bad guys in a game--but after all the Call of Dutys and Medal of Honors, what's hard is making a game that centers around Nazis and can still make the bad guys seem original and new. I'm someone who's played every incarnation of the "Castle Wolfenstein" games, even a very strange kiosk that you could pay-to-play the older 486 PC version using a joystick and a VR headset. Having recently re-played the "Return to Castle Wolfenstein", it was a real experience to pick up this newest entry in the series.

"Wolfenstein: the New Order" is a great update to this classic series. First-Person Shooters have changed a lot in the many years this series has been around, and the updates here really give a classic concept the feel of the latest & greatest that FPS games have to offer. There is a good storyline, complete with top-drawer voice talent and the return of our hero B. J. Blascowicz. We have weapon choices that include dual-wield, fast action with many a melee opportunity, and the same feel of collecting medkits and armor and occasionally overcharging your health for an upcoming rampage that made all of The New Order's predecessors so much fun. Probably the best nod to the more recent games is the fact that there's more than one way to complete a level: this isn't just a matter of being able to navigate the map through different paths, it's also that you can make choices that let you vary between stealth and run-and-gun. FPS games don't often have the ability to view the map these days, so that makes for a nice bonus that is carried over from the earliest days of the Wolfenstein series.

What makes the story fresh is that we are playing to an alternate history: after an opening mission in 1946, our hero is out of commission until 1960, and it's a world where the Nazis won the war, all has been lost, and now B.J. is left to try to pick up the pieces entirely on his own. Each level is a movie-quality step towards saving the world, and each level has a purpose that advances the main story. The alternate 1960 is a mix of technologies that has a fairly believable look and feel, and some of the 'newer' technology mirrors the strangeness we saw in the depths of 'Return to Castle Wolfenstein' and the occult-driven more recent entry that was just called 'Wolfenstein'.

As much fun as the game is, there are a few drawbacks. I've had times where climbing a ladder is still the bane of Our Hero's existence and I spend time bobbling around looking for the grip point. Switching weapons isn't a fast way to keep the firepower flowing when the bullets are low--sometimes it's just a trip to a quick death. Changing ammo with the radial wheel can be clumsy. I have a real problem with grenades: sometimes I bump the shoulder button to throw (hold down means you want to select weapons) and nothing happens. I won't spoil the story for you, but there is one particular mission that sounds like a great squad-based opportunity but by the time you reach the end you find yourself wondering what the point was.

Still, "Wolfenstein: the New Order" is a great title, and I think with time I'll come to love it as much as its predecessors, some of which I still play today.

Gillette Mach3 Base Cartridges 12 Count (packaging may vary)
Gillette Mach3 Base Cartridges 12 Count (packaging may vary)
Price: $27.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best in Modern Shaving, July 10, 2014
I've been using the Gillette Mach 3 for years, and even though I've tried others from time to time, I keep coming back to their three-blade system. These cartridges have been a great replacement, but I think there's something important you should consider when buying them. There are negative reviews here where customers say they got fake or knock-off replacements. I added this to cart by picking a Prime eligible product that says "Shipped from and sold by Amazon", and the package that arrived is the real deal.

If you're new to the Mach 3, it's a great razor for a lot of things. I have a friend who swears by it for shaving his head, but says you have to be slow and careful. For me, it does a great job on my face and neck. The three hyper-sharp blades in the Mach 3's head really do a nice job of paring down the daily stubble without cutting me up or roughing up my face. That said, there are some basics to shaving that also make a difference, regardless of what you use:

- drag slowly
- drag in the direction the hair grows (and learn the parts of your face where it changes direction)
- don't press down
- do repeat strokes for problem areas
- expect to feel some stubble no matter what--the goal is to minimize it, but it'll never go away unless you pluck the hairs out (ouch!)
- when you towel off, pat your skin, don't scrub
- if you're going to put something on your skin afterwards, avoid anything with alcohol in it: alcohol burns your skin while lotions moisturize

I use these in a standard Mach 3 handle and in one that vibrates using a AAA battery. The latter is a bit easier to use, but not necessary: either will work for you just fine. There is a more expensive version of these blades for sensitive skin that is supposed to have better lubricating strips, but I don't find that to be worth the extra money...if anything the strips on the 'Sensitive' just wear out quicker than these do.

If you're new to the Mach 3, it's a great razor. But unless shaving gives you real skin problems, you probably don't need the extra 'Sensitive' strip...these cartridges do a great job.

Gillette Mach3 Sensitive Cartridges 8 Count (Packaging may vary)
Gillette Mach3 Sensitive Cartridges 8 Count (Packaging may vary)
Price: $20.79
2 used & new from $20.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but Gimmicky, July 10, 2014
I've been using the Gillette Mach 3 for years, and I've used both these "Sensitive" heads and the standard blue-colored ones off and on. I have the normal Mach 3 handle and the one that vibrates using a AAA battery--which I have to admit does seem to work a little bit easier.

The idea behind this "Sensitive" version of the Mach 3 blades is that there's an more soothing kind of whatever goo Gillette feels will soothe the burn of dragging three hyper-sharp blades of steel across your face.

I love the Gillette Mach 3 razor, don't get me wrong...but I see little additional benefit in the Sensitive versus the regular, and I don't care for how quickly it wears out. If you want to save a bit of money, the normal ones should do you just fine. Part of shaving is knowing the nuances of the act itself:

- drag slowly
- don't press down
- do repeat strokes for problem areas
- when you towel off, pat your skin, don't scrub at it

If you're new to the Mach 3, it's a great razor. But unless shaving gives you real skin problems, you probably don't need the extra 'Sensitive' kind.

The Final Rip Off
The Final Rip Off
Price: $14.80
88 used & new from $2.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Such a Rip-Off After All..., July 10, 2014
This review is from: The Final Rip Off (Audio CD)
The Final Rip-Off was a labor of love on the part of the Pythons: released in the late '80s, this collection was not only a fun sampling of some of their best comedy skits, it was also very lovingly remastered. Some of the original versions of these skits didn't have the musical flourish that they have here. There are pieces lifted from the movie "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" and others that come straight from the record albums, such as from "Monty Python's Instant Record Collection". While some fans don't care for particular recordings of this or that skit (in particular, some of the live versions are a point of contention), I really enjoy it all.

There is an important thing to know about the CD though, and it's what kept me from replacing my factory cassette version of The Final Rip-Off for years. The first printings had some problems: a friend of mine bought the discs and they rotted after a few months. She managed to convince the store to swap out for her, and the replacements rotted too...I'm pleased to say that the CDs I purchased only this year (2014) have been of excellent quality and worked well.

If you enjoyed Monty Python's comedy, The Final Rip-Off is a very nice collection of some of their funniest bits. Some jokes are better seen than heard, but still the recordings hold up well. Extra effort was put into this release, though that was some time ago, and today it's still loads of fun to listen to. A completist might want to go back and find all the individual albums, and gain more material, but for me this is a nice distillation of some of Monty Python's best.

Kenwood KTC-HR300 HD Radio Tuner Box with Itunes Tagging
Kenwood KTC-HR300 HD Radio Tuner Box with Itunes Tagging

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as Advertised, July 10, 2014
This tuner was fairly easy to install, though it did require a little bit of help from Kenwood to get my DDX-500 to recognize the unit. Kenwood's phone support was friendly and helpful, and after a couple of adjustments to the settings, we were off and running. Installation is simple, and because it has a pass-through to your car's antenna, it doesn't matter where this tuner box goes--you can stick it under the dash or behind some stuff and your car's antenna is what picks up the HD Radio signal.

If you've got a Kenwood head unit that is compatible with this tuner box, and it says "HD Ready" or "HD Capable", then hooking this up will not change your AM/FM radio availability--instead it will expand it so that any signals broadcast in HD Radio will automatically come through clear as a bell. I didn't get the HD quality sound until I moved to a different area, but I did notice that when HD Radio comes through, it works well. Some stations will even include metadata that pops up on your screen, like artist, album and title (and some head units can even show a thumbnail image of the station or album art).

Futurama: Volume 1
Futurama: Volume 1
DVD ~ Katey Sagal
Price: $14.49
43 used & new from $7.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Groundbreaking Genius, July 10, 2014
This review is from: Futurama: Volume 1 (DVD)
Futurama is an animated comedy from Matt Groening, the creator of 'The Simpsons'. The Simpsons often cracked us up with social satire, but Futurama turned the Simpsons' reality-based sandbox into a completely free and open playground of the future for the writers' minds to run free.

Set in the year 3000, the main character Fry is a dimwit with heart. He is from our time, and when an accident gets him cryogenically frozen for 1,000 years, we get to see Groening's bizarre future through his eyes. He voices our 20th-century opinions, and he sets up some of the best jokes in the series. Fry meets a lot of unusual people, and the core stable of characters that are introduced to us will have you and your friends regularly debating the merits of your favorites.

When Futurama first aired on Fox, it got a weird mix of 'show it to everybody' airings of each week's episode across multiple time slots...and also got Fox's 'try to kill it' treatment of randomly moving the new episodes. Somehow, it managed to survive, and if you watch this first season, you can see why Futurama wasn't just "Simpsons in Space", but was instead a huge green field for these clever writers to play upon. Drawing on the entire history of science fiction, Futurama satirizes our modern-day society with ease. We have an opening episode featuring suicide booths, an alcoholic robot with a criminal mind, an everyday New New York City (yes, I typed that correctly) whose definition of 'normal' boggles the 20th-century mind, and hilarious series of laugh after laugh.

I own this particular box set, and I really enjoy the fact that I get director's commentary--but if you're contemplating buying the entire series, you might want to look into the collected versions: they don't appear to leave anything out and they might have even a bit more to offer than this collection. Either way, Futurama is one of my favorite shows of all time.

Beverly Hills Cop: Music From The Motion Picture Soundtrack
Beverly Hills Cop: Music From The Motion Picture Soundtrack
Offered by Customer Direct
Price: $8.87
100 used & new from $1.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic '80s Material, July 10, 2014
Just about every song on this album was a hit when the movie came out. Years later, I got an itch to finally replace my cassette so I could hear all these great songs again, and the only way to do it was to buy a real CD--no MP3 album? How quaint! How far we've come from the days when a CD was the most amazing way to hear music.

Which brings us to the music. We have Patti LaBelle's "New Attitude" kicking off the music nicely. She comes back later with the energetic '"Stir It Up", and in between, the Pointer Sisters' "Neutron Dance" was the song that seemed to run all summer long back when this album came out. "Gratitude" by Danny Elfman was my first exposure to that delightfully quirky voice (and who knew back then what a great composer he would become?)--it led me to Oingo Boingo's excellent album "Dead Man's Party." Glenn Frey is also solo from The Eagles, doing "The Heat Is On", complete with classic '80s keyboards and sax, and that song also got tons of play back in the day. Probably very few people remember Shalamar, but their song here, "Don't Get Stopped in Beverly Hills", couldn't compare to their hit "Dancing in the Sheets". "Rock n' Roll Me Again" has classic '80s guitar notes, but like "Emergency" by Rockie Robbins, just fails to stand out.

So here's some trivia for you: this isn't the first release of the Beverly Hills Cop soundtrack! I bought my cassette the week it was released and that release was recalled. There was a Rick James track named "BHC (I Can't Stop)" that was pulled and replaced with "Emergency". Sad, but I'm also sorry to say that even if you're a Rick James fan you probably wouldn't be blown away by his original song either.

If you loved Beverly Hills Cop or just want to grab one of the most memorable '80s pop movie soundtracks, this soundtrack makes a great pick.

The Lazy Winner
The Lazy Winner
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sanity Saver, July 10, 2014
This review is from: The Lazy Winner (Kindle Edition)
The Lazy Winner is a great all-purpose book for a working professional to balance their life. As a parent who also has to work the hard, random hours of IT, I found it to be part philosophical guide, part psychological self-help. Continuing on the success of his excellent book "The Lazy Project Manager", Peter Taylor describes to you how to organize your thoughts and your day to put you on the path to success. I found The Lazy Project Manager at a time in my career when I had to take on a lot more challenges than I ever had before--it helped me figure out how to be a hero without a Superman complex. The Lazy Winner reminded me that at some point my life could probably use a little of that Project Management methodology in my home life too. IT can all too easily lure you with the Siren Song of 80-hour weeks bringing success...use The Lazy Winner to remind you that if you plan your life a little better, you won't let yourself be run into the ground.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 12, 2014 1:59 AM PDT

Twisted Veins 6ft High Speed HDMI 2 Pack (includes TWO 6' cables, Right Angle Adapter, Velcro Ties) - Latest Version: Supports Ethernet, 3D, and Audio Return
Offered by CheetahMounts
Price: $7.96
4 used & new from $4.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Signal, Great Deal, July 10, 2014
This pair of 6-foot HDMI cables is the latest spec and appears to be well built. The cables are thick with a sturdy outer layer and the sleeves at each end don't look cheap: they are molded on well enough to hold together. The right-angle adapter makes this an even better deal though: when your TV is close to the wall or you're plugging up in a tight space, this is what will save your cable because the neck of your cable won't need to be bent and/or crushed against anything. Two adapters might have been nice, but chances are most people wouldn't need more than one--so given the price, I can't complain a bit.

The cable ties are simple Velcro strips, but the useful part is that they're labeled with Twisted Veins' name: if you use these to tie and bundle a set of cables, you'll be able to tell at a glance which bundle you're reaching for. If you've ever had to go back behind your A/V equipment and redo things, you'll appreciate this little extra touch.

4 pairs - Adult Passive 3D Glasses Genuine eDimensional Sealed RealD Compatible Circular Polarized 3D Glasses for Passive 3D TV's Televisions from SONY, Panasonic, Vizio, Toshiba, LG, Philips and JVC and for use in Real-D Theaters
Offered by Ultimate3DHeaven
Price: $12.95
3 used & new from $6.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Decent quality and a great price, July 10, 2014
I've recently fallen in love with the newer 3DTV technology, and this simple set of 4 glasses was just what I needed for my family and I to watch our movies on my Vizio 47" 3DTV. They are a little more comfortable than the 2 pair that came with the TV, and that's nice; but the price was also reasonable.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20