Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now DOTD
Profile for Winter > Reviews

Winter's Profile

Customer Reviews: 621
Top Reviewer Ranking: 875

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Winter RSS Feed (USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Set of 5 Exercise Bands Premium Quality Fitness Exercise Bands - Resistance Loop Bands for Exercise Perfect Workouts for Women and Men - Best for Stretch, Therapy, Strength, Running, Pilates, Rehabilitation. (5)
Offered by D L Products
Price: $45.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and convenient to manage, November 22, 2015
I needed a set of variable bands for strength training, and these were nicer than most. What I like about them is that each is a closed loop (so I don't need to tie them every time I use them), and that they feel like strong rubber and not sticky plastic like some bands do. Each is also labeled as to how strong they are and they're color-coded, so I can tell at a glance which is which. There are a couple of exercises where I need to tie the bands around a stable source like an exercise machine. I found this was easy to do by using two bands together: put one around the area you need to tie to, then thread the other through it. When you're done, they easily come back apart again.

It was a nice extra touch that the set folds up easily into a really small shape, and that they come with a mesh baggie that I use to stash them in my gym bag. All in all, given the low price I'm really happy with the product.

NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band Gigabit Wi-Fi Router (R8000)
NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band Gigabit Wi-Fi Router (R8000)
Price: $244.99
53 used & new from $203.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Magnificent, November 4, 2015
I bought the Nighthawk X6 and an EX7000 range extender to replace an existing great Netgear setup: an R6300 router and an EX1200 extender. The 6300/1200 worked great, but my new home had a serious signal problem: steel-frame construction, concrete walls, and things like a refrigerator and a microwave in between. My ISP was functionally-fixated on exactly where I would be allowed to use the Router, so I was regularly rebooting the extender and doing other crazy things to try and compensate.

I tell you this because the X6 is an excellent router, with a strong signal--but what really sets it apart from the R6300 are features and options:
- Beamforming works much better with the X6 and the EX7000
- FastLane is more stable - while the signal to the Extender may suffer from time to time, I'm not having to reboot the Extender on a regular basis
- Your options in the setup menus are many

If you're into the networking details, you'll love the fact that not only is DHCP reservation fairly easy to put together, and all the granular controls you'd expect on a router (like MTU) are there, but also you can specifically flag every device that connects to the Router and set its priority as low, medium, high or highest. For example, my laptop gets High priority, my extender gets Highest priority, my daughter's phone gets Medium priority. The BASIC setup screen makes things fairly simple to use for the non-techie, and the ADVANCED menus let you pull out all the stops. This also means you can use features like Dynamic QoS (or turn 'em off), support IPv6 (or force IPv4), enable WMM (or don't). Overall, the signal strength is really good, the performance is great, and the options are easier to work with and broader than any Router I've owned previously.

Still, this isn't perfect. Ultimately I couldn't keep great speeds from the extender. I often found that a weak connection to the Router would work better than a strong connection to the Extender despite using FastLane and Priority settings, and in the end I chalk it up to the concrete walls, the steel frame, and the fact that I'm distance-limited. My connections would randomly slow down to truly awful speeds. I worked closely with Netgear techs to come up with the optimal solution, and I'll share it with you here.

- If you're going to use an Extender, enable FastLane technology. If your problem is signal strength over distance, make FastLane dedicate the 2.4GHz band to the FastLane between Router and Extender and let the 5GHz band be for devices to connect to. If your problem is network speed, dedicate the first 5GHz band to the FastLane between the Router and Extender, and let the 2.4GHz band and the second 5GHz band be available for individual devices. You can also let the two 5GHz bands that exist on this Router be perceived as if they are one band, to save on complexity
- If your ISP insists that you use their equipment for routing, use the X6 in "Access Point" mode. This still lets you have almost every option available to you, but you're less likely to have problems with your home devices not being able to see each other. This is because not using Access Point mode means the Router will use its own subnets to split out all the devices--physically-connected stuff in one subnet, wireless in another...and if you use an Extender, yet another subnet for those devices. Using Access Point keeps everything in one subnet and the Router is a part of that.

Overall, this is an excellent router. It hasn't been perfect for me, but it's been the best of my options and I tend to fault the physical limitations of my home for the rest. Those with a need for speed will find the signal delivers (though might need an extender over long distances), while those who want deep-dive configuration won't be disappointed with the degree of control they can push to their home networks.

Questions? Did I miss something? Let me know in the comments! I'll be glad to cover it for you here.

Soul Eater Death the Kid Ring
Soul Eater Death the Kid Ring
Offered by Joy Shopping
Price: $3.00
7 used & new from $2.40

3.0 out of 5 stars Also sold in pairs, October 29, 2015
This Death the Kid Ring is pretty decently put together, but I realized only AFTER I ordered it that if you're going to cosplay as Death the Kid, you actually want two of them. For symmetry. Which led me to discover that you can actually buy these rings in pairs, in a Soul Eater decorated box, and it runs about $10 for the pair. I bought one for my daughter for her Halloween costume, then it occurred to me that we needed a matched set. *Sigh*

Anyhow, this ring is decently built. It's not super-strong, but it's not going to come apart in your hands. It's for slim fingers, but the bands do give a little so if you're gentle you can stretch it to fit. Still, I'd suggest looking for the pair, in the box, as the better deal. Mine arrived wrapped in padding in a standard yellow mailer envelope.

SadoTech Model CXR Wireless Doorbell with 1 Remote Button and 2 Plugin Receivers Operating at over 500-feet Range with Over 50 Chimes, No Batteries Required for Receivers, (White), Fixed Code C Series
Offered by SW LLC (US Seller and Ships from US)
Price: $59.99
4 used & new from $22.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, works great, and I love it., October 29, 2015
We had a weird situation with our new home - the doorbell was only wired to a land-line phone system. So we replaced that with this simple solution. This SadoTech CXR Wireless Doorbell was perfect for us because the bundle we bought has two chimes. You put the batteries in the doorbell part, stick it outdoors where you want it to go, then plug each of the chimes into an outlet.

The instructions were pretty easy to use. The chimes have connect buttons that you have to use first to make sure the doorbell can "find" each chime. From there you can choose which doorbell ring you want (from MANY) by pressing the button that plays through each chime, every time you press it. Unfortunately, they don't list which chimes are which, so you have to flip through them all and make a note of which one you wanted (e.g., "It was number 33, I'm pretty sure. Sounded like Eidelweiss"), then go back through and stop on that one.

I have a detached home office, so I put my own chime in that building and the other chime went in the main house in the stairwell. The doorbell has to wirelessly punch through a concrete-and-steel main house, cross a courtyard, then pass through another steel-frame wall to get to the chime, across about 50 feet total distance, and it works just fine. Some reviewers say that when the power goes out the chime is 'forgotten', but so far we haven't had that happen.

If you need a wireless doorbell solution, this one is easy to use and works just fine. It could probably use having a list of what chime is what number, but apart from that minor inconvenience, I love that it works all the way out to the back of my property.

Microsoft Office 365 Home 1 Year | 5 PC or 5 Mac Key Card
Microsoft Office 365 Home 1 Year | 5 PC or 5 Mac Key Card
Price: Click here to see our price
64 used & new from $77.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Times have changed, October 29, 2015
The bottom line: I like this deal much better than trying to buy an Office 365 license outright from Microsoft because it's cheaper, you get more, and you have a lot more options.

The full review:
More to the point though, Office has become a different animal than it was. In the long run, Office 365 is a better deal than buying a downloadable, installable product--because you *get* a downloadable, installable product with this deal.

So what exactly are you getting here?

This package is the ability to use the latest version of Office in the browser--meaning, if you're on a machine that doesn't have Office installed, you can log into your Microsoft account (required) and use browser-based versions of all the Office apps. This also means that the online storage place called "OneDrive" (formerly known as "SkyDrive") can be used to store up to one TeraByte (1,000GB) of stuff, anything you like, private or public or just shared out as you wish.

It's ALSO the ability to download and install Office 2013 OR Office 2016, on up to 5 machines, for up to 4 people! That's the cool part. In the past, you might have to buy more than one copy of Office, or be the sole user, or only put it on a desktop and a laptop. Now I can put this on my desktop, laptop, and Surface Pro, then install it on my wife's PC and my daughter can also have a copy installed to use. I've been running Office 2016 for the most part and have been pretty happy with the way it works. 2016 is not hugely different from 2013 or 2010, just in little ways.

This package lets you use Office for a year. You can buy two or three and stack them to prolong your subscription (if you're afraid the price of Office will go up) or you can extend your subscription to more people (in case you have a bunch of kids and want to add mom and dad and grandma into the number of users). I added a year using this code. It was only easy to do because I looked online first for HOW to do it.

Which brings us to the only real drawback to Office 365: anything to do with the browser. The browser-based apps try to be as much like the desktop as possible, but they're still not quite the same. OneNote is probably the closest match I've seen, while Outlook is the ugliest and least useful. The fact that the browser-based versions run in Azure ("the Cloud", a.k.a., "on the Internet") means that they typically run a bit slower, depending on your Internet connection. OneDrive is more annoying to manage using the browser, so I find myself using a computer to do most of the work like uploading files/folders, creating new folders, etc. I use the browser-based OneDrive interface to download individual stuff or share stuff out to people. The entire browser interface is trying to do the "Kanban" look that you also see in Windows 8's "Metro-now-called-Modern" apps and parts of Windows 10's look and feel.

My rule of thumb is that the browser-based Office is for small tasks on the go, but for anything substantial I go with the PC.

You also have to use the Office website to mange things like who you share Office with, or how you download. They make it annoyingly over-complicated to download the 64-bit version of Office if you don't want to use the 32-bit. You have to choose "Install-->Language and Install Options-->Additional Install Options--> then pick the specific 64-bit version you want. There's no good reason to bury the better-performing version that far down except that they hope it prevents tech support complications.

The Home Subscription is: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook, and a 1TB bump-up to OneDrive, up to 4 people across 5 machines.
The Personal Subscription is the same, but only for one individual user, on up to 5 machines.
The Business version has a lot of other options *and* things to consider when choosing.

Overall, I find this a much better deal than shelling out a few hundred dollars up front and knowing the next version will require me to buy it again, and I don't get the benefit of the added OneDrive storage space. With this price, it's cheaper and I will always have the option of downloading the latest version of Office or sticking with the one I have. The browser-based versions I consider an afterthought, or "bonus feature" - I wouldn't rely solely on those for everyday work. And I would like to see managing the subscriptions and installs get a bit easier.

Amped Wireless High Power 1000mW Wi-Fi Signal Booster (SB1000)
Amped Wireless High Power 1000mW Wi-Fi Signal Booster (SB1000)
Price: $69.35
63 used & new from $43.84

4.0 out of 5 stars Slightly cumbersome, but works very well., October 29, 2015
I have a pretty cool wireless setup, but for some reason the walls in my house (and probably the steel frame?) make Wi-Fi harder to manage. I bought this Amped Wireless High Power 1000mW Wi-Fi Signal Booster to connect to my Netgear EX7000 Wireless Range Extender. The extender had a tendency to drop signal quality or need rebooting to get a better "lock" onto my wireless router. The Netgear has three antennas, so I combined this one powered connection with replacing the other two with longer, higher-gain antennas.

This amplified antenna also has a blue light on the base to indicate power and one that will flicker to indicate it is receiving a signal. This is a helpful extra touch.

The fact that this is amplified probably helped--my signal was strong enough to stay stable on the Extender, and I noticed drops in signal quality if I reverted back to the old antenna, or just used larger non-amplified ones. There are a couple of downsides:

1) You do have to have an AC adapter to plug the thing in (that's how it gets amplified, so it's just the nature of the thing and there's not much you can do about it)
2) The wire running from the base to wherever you connect the antenna was just short enough to make it difficult to really improve the position of the antenna - I wish it had been just a foot longer.

If you've got a pretty good wireless signal but it's having problems, this amplified antenna should improve and stabilize the quality of your wireless connections. It's a little cumbersome but definitely effective.

Batman: The Black Casebook
Batman: The Black Casebook
by Various
Price: $14.27
72 used & new from $3.37

4.0 out of 5 stars A novelty read, October 27, 2015
The purpose behind this book: during Grant Morrison's run as writer for Batman (pre New 52), he took the job very seriously. He dug deep into decades of Batman comic books and read a huge amount of stories. It's why in the Black Glove story arc and later, we see some interesting characters and ideas...that Morrison resurrected from the stories you see here.

These are the original Batman stories that inspired Grant Morrison. His introduction is a neat explanation into some of the ideas that drove the Black Glove, R.I.P., Batman Reborn, & etc. storylines. Because they're from decades past though, they aren't going to be the same kind of a read. They'll be a novelty, and you'll see some awkward 'politically incorrect' moments and some kiddie-fare silliness (like the battle against the Rainbow Monster, that 'glowed evilly, like a real rainbow' [sic].

I read this after re-reading my Batman stuff and it was fun to back-fill some of the character ideas. You could probably read this before taking on Black Glove & etc. without really having any spoilers. Either way, it doesn't really stand alone as well as it works as side-reading for Morrison's run.

Skinomi® TechSkin - Nokia Lumia 1520 Screen Protector + Carbon Fiber Full Body Skin / Front & Back Premium HD Clear Film / Ultra Invisible and Anti Bubble Shield with Free Lifetime Replacement
Offered by Skinomi
Price: $24.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Skinomi sticks with me now, October 27, 2015
The short recap: Skinomi makes great stuff, and this skin looks really cool, fits well, and was easy to put on. I like it a lot.

This is my second Skinomi TechSkin for the Lumia 1520, and I've had good experiences with other Skinomi products on other stuff. This time around, I'd had the woodgrain texture, which looks really cool, but my phone broke and had to be replaced. The skin was in surprisingly good shape after I'd had to peel it off the old phone--I probably could have gotten away with re-using it if I'd been patient--but instead I wanted to try something different.

This time I went for the "carbon-fiber". It's a look that has some texture to it. I get asked if it's really carbon fiber...umm, no, just a vinyl decal. But a very good looking decal! This skin went on easily. Skinomi gives you videos specific to the product you've purchased, and they provide you a spray bottle so you can do your own wet mount. They also provide you a squeegee for pressing out bubbles and a tiny microfiber cloth to rub dust away before applying. This time around I didn't need to wet-mount and was pleasantly surprised at how cleanly the screen protector went on, too.

However, one tip I suggest for you is the corners: with both this skin and the woodgrain one, after I got everything pressed on and rubbed the edges down a bit with my thumbs, I had to go back over it with heat to really get the skin to stay. The edges of the decal and especially the corners will come back up on you if you're not careful. Holding a hair dryer or heat gun at a bit of a distance from the phone with it turned off, slowly warm up the edges, then give them another pass with a finger or thumb, burnishing the decal down onto the surface with a bit more pressure. When it cools, the edges stick down tighter. If they start to come back up again, usually another heat treatment will do the trick. I had to do that with the woodgrain because I was using the phone on my dash for GPS, and the sunlight would warp and peel the skin. Now that I don't leave the phone in the sun while I'm driving, this is no longer a problem.

If you want an interesting look for your Lumia 1520 and some protection from scratches and scrapes, this Skinomi TechSkin is a great choice. It's my second one, and I'll go with more Skinomi products in the future.

Decalrus - Alienware M17X r3 r4 BLUE Texture Brushed Aluminum skin skins decal for case cover wrap BAAlienwrM17XBlue
Offered by decalrus
Price: $33.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad. Not great, but not bad., October 27, 2015
The short review: nice material, install can be tedious, some parts you might want to skip.

The idea behind these decals is kind of fun: you can pick various colors and textures to trick out your Alienware or just protect it from scratches, and for me I chose a metallic blue with a brushed-aluminum feel. The decals were fairly easy to apply, so long as you're patient and go slow: they're a bit forgiving if you get out of alignment and need to back up a bit and re-do. The lid decal has stylish cuts in it that not only make it easier to lay onto the uneven beveled surface of the M17XR4, but also give you a way to do partial adjustments as you're laying this massive decal down. The lid decal is probably the hardest, and requires a bit of OCD-like focus to really get it lined up right and sitting well without bubbles or creases.

Unfortunately, the Decalrus decals weren't very precisely cut to the Alienware M17XR4. You wouldn't think this would be a big deal, but it shows: a couple of times I had to slightly adjust things to make it sit properly, and there's one piece that goes right at the very front of the body, is cut asymmetrically, and doesn't seem to even fit right in the spot it's supposed to go. There are decals for the touchpad and the buttons, but after using them I recommend not bothering: it feels weird and makes that fantastic touchpad work a bit dodgy.

If you want a vinyl wrap for your Alienware M17XR3 or R4, this isn't bad. It's not great and it'll require some patience.

WD Red 4TB NAS Desktop  Hard Disk Drive - Intellipower SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch  - WD40EFRX
WD Red 4TB NAS Desktop Hard Disk Drive - Intellipower SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD40EFRX
Price: $139.99
97 used & new from $127.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for home use bulk-storage, October 27, 2015
The short summary: these work great for bulk file storage in the home--built to be continually powered up and to store large amounts of data for the home user, power user, or small business.

I've got a love-hate relationship with WD: their USB drives have been problematic and disappointing, but the Caviar Black internal drives have run very well for RAID 0 / RAID 5 gaming in my desktop PCs. I bought these Red volumes to fill in the slots in a home server that had a RAID 1 array where a member had turned out to be cheaper to buy three 4TB volumes, start over, and gain a ton more space than to try to dig up an exact match for the bad drive and still keep a smaller array. This time around, I used Windows Storage Spaces, a feature in Windows 8 and above. On Windows 10 64-bit I was able to set up a large storage space with Parity and use it for my system backups.

Western Digital have done a good job making it easier to understand all these drives, and if you stop by their site, you'll see what the color codes mean (like Green for everyday desktop, Purple for surveillance systems). If you're big on the details with hard drives, you know that the way they're built makes some better for gaming, some for large files, some for continuous writes, etc. The Red series is for storage: the kind you stick in a file server and expect them to be running 24/7 or for long periods of time, and you're not needing super-fast response time. They've been running continuously since I installed them and a periodic temperature check doesn't seem to indicate they're overheating and getting stressed.

So far I've been happy with the ease of use of the WD Red 4TB NAS desktop hard drives. They were fairly cheap, they do the job, and I suspect they'll last me for quite a while in my home server.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20