Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Profile for Brian Behr > Reviews

Browse

Brian Behr's Profile

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Brian Behr "GB Reviews" RSS Feed (Washington DC)

Cook This, Not That!: Kitchen Survival Guide
Cook This, Not That!: Kitchen Survival Guide
by David Zinczenko
362 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars More flavor less time and calories!!, January 5, 2010
This is not the traditional "Eat This Not That". With this addition, Mens Health gives you a rare gem of a cookbook. As a cookbook afficionado, I would normally turn my nose up to something like this. However, this book proves the old cliche you shouldn't judge a book by its..... Inside is packed with recipes that are high in flavor, healthy, and require minimal time/ingredient/culinary skill to prepare. The ingredients called for are ordinary pantry/fridge staples that are neither expensive nor hard to find.

Each recipe is accompanied by a nutritional breakdown and the restaurant dish that it is similar to and healthier than. In my humble opinion the food you can make at home with this guide is far superior to it's restaurant alternative. These dishes are both cheaper, healthier, and have a cleaner taste (by clean I mean not loaded with heavy cream, butter, or other junk that takes away from the actual flavor of the ingredients).

The recipes I have attempted (~10), have so far provided a surprising depth of flavor that makes me want to cook my way through the entire book. It also has a ton of info about how to make healthy decisions with ingredients and other foods (which I guess is in line with the prior books in this series). To sum up you really can't go wrong with this book and I can't wait for the sequel so long as it is another cookbook!!

I note that another reviewer has commented that these recipes are not necessarily low in fat/calories....this book does not purport to be such a book. In fact the authors point out that fat is a good thing and provides direction as to what types of fats are good and which you should avoid at all costs.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 6, 2010 5:35 AM PST

Eat This, Not That! Thousands of Simple Food Swaps that Can Save You 10, 20, 30 Pounds--or More!
by David Zinczenko
766 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Levels the playing field for the health conscious consumer., December 31, 2007
I would highly recommend this book to anyone that is interested in losing weight or maintaining weight they have already lost. Lets face it, young professionals have to eat out, and this book gives the reader the ability to make good health conscious decisions in the drive-thru lane. I keep a copy in my car so that no matter where I go I make a health conscious decision. Nothing peeves me more than erasing a hard day at the gym by choosing something that appears to be healthy and actually isnt. This book lays it out and in a beautiful format, written well. I havent found a restaurant that isnt covered and the options laid out in the 'Eat This' panel are good choices not just for health reasons but for taste too. Cant go wrong buy a copy for anyone whose health you care about.