Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Elizabeth Cook Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Profile for curious > Reviews

Browse

curious' Profile

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

curious RSS Feed

Marumi DHG Super Circular Polarizer CPL PL.D 77 77mm Filter Japan
Marumi DHG Super Circular Polarizer CPL PL.D 77 77mm Filter Japan
Offered by Green Mountain Camera
Price: $97.90
17 used & new from $89.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Does not live up to the expectation - rotation is not smooth - Bad Unit?, February 4, 2014
I bought this filter because of its rave review. But much to my dismay, this filter does not live up to the expectation that I have for it. The construction quality is just average, and the rotation is not smooth, but rather loose. In addition to the looseness, I notice in certain position or rotation, I feel there is some kind of internal jamming. This “jamming” cause the rotation to “jump” when it hits that spot

This filter was originally price at $100+ dollars, but now it has dropped to $60+ range. This has prompted me to suspect is the price drop is due to the inferior quality. Or, is it just simply because of bad luck that I received bad unit. I am going to return it and I don’t have a plan of try my luck again with the hope of getting a good one.

Please make sure you check the rotation if you decide to buy it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 21, 2014 1:46 AM PST

Sigma 18-35mm F/1.8 DC HSM Lens for Canon APS-C DSLRs
Sigma 18-35mm F/1.8 DC HSM Lens for Canon APS-C DSLRs
Price: $799.00
41 used & new from $620.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as other reviews mentioned. Perhaps, I got a bad copy..., August 30, 2013
I was very excited when I was informed that the lens was available and I would get it in a few days. This excitement quickly turned into disappointment after taking a few shots with this lens.

The first shot is very blurry. It is so bad up to the point that it is like out of focus. I said to myself: Ok, this was probably because the lens doesn’t have IS, and the shutter was just 50. So I increased the shutter speed to like 60, which is about 1.6 times the focal length of 35. The result is almost the same: the picture is very, very soft. I continued increase the shutter speed in the hope of getting a shot with a decent sharpness. Unfortunately, this didn’t come. Again, I said to myself: let me try it outdoor. Pictures that are taken outdoor are better, but I don’t get the kind of sharpness many other reviewers mentioned. The sharpness is just “ok”, nothing spectacular. I got better sharpness with my kit lens Canon 28-135, and much better sharpness with the Canon 17-55.

Another deal breaker of this lens for me is the indoor focus speed. It lags quite a bit in focusing when trying to take photo indoor in the evening.

On the plus side, the build quality is no doubt the top notch. The zoom and focus rings are so smooth, and the internal focus is definitely good in term of no dust will get into the lens through external barrel movement.

Because of many great reviews of this lens out there, I wonder if it is because I got a bad copy.
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2013 11:04 PM PST

PBL EW-83J LENS HOOD FOR CANON EF 17-55 F/2.8 ISUSM LENS Steve kaeser Photographic Lighting

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware of item does not match description, July 5, 2013
This is not an Opteka lens hood as described. Instead it is a no name brand wrapped in a unsealed clear plastic bag with a tiny white label on it to identify the item. I bought an Opteka lens hood in the past for my 28-135. It has an anti-reflective coating on the inner surface, but this one doesn't have anything at all! I don't expect I will get a top quality product for $8.84, but I do expect to get what they said they will sell me. I actually bought this lens hood twice (from two different sellers). For the first one, I retuned to the seller, and I had to pay for the return shipping cost. For the second one, I was hoping with a different seller, I may receive the real Opteka lens hood. Disappointingly, the second one is the same as the first one.

So beware of this product does not match description problem.

Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens - Fixed
Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens - Fixed
Price: $179.00
76 used & new from $88.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Is it really good?, September 7, 2012
Few months ago, I purchased the 40mm pancake after reading all of its good reviews. My experience with this lens is that it did produce sharp and good color indoor pictures as many reviewers have pointed out. The rate of focusing was also pretty good in my opinion consider its relatively cheap price. So I was very happy and excited about this lens. However, my initial excitement turned into disappointment when I took the lens outdoor to begin taking pictures with it. Almost all of the outdoor pictures are soft. When I reviewed these pictures with DPP, the focus points of all the pictures are correct. They are where I wanted them to be. The problem is that the focused areas are soft, but the areas that are outside the focused points are sharp. This seems to me that this lens is either having a back or front focus problem. I don't know if this focus problem is the same that Canon mentioned in their website in which it is mentioned that the lens will fail to focus when it is moderately touched. I understand there is a firmware update that can fix the problem, but the problem with the firmware fix is that it will only work on newer camera models such as 5D MK III. For other older models, the lens needs to be sent back to Canon for fixing. Why would someone want to buy a new lens knowing that it potentially has to be sent back to the factory for repair?

Another aspect of this lens that causes concern to me is the mount. Yes, the mount is metal, which is very good. However, when I tried to mount it to my 7D, I needed to apply some force in order to make it turn and lock in place. I don't have this problem with the 28-135 kit lens that I have. The 28-135 turns smoothly and locked in place easily. Now think about this: with this tight fitting, will it cause unnecessary wear to the mounts of both the lens and camera? I don't care much about the lens' mount. After all, it is only a $200 investment, but I can't say the same for the camera. If the camera needs replacement, I can't imagine how much it will cost.

Considering these two factors, I returned the lens to avoid getting stuck with it.

I would also like to point out that I will not call this a review, but rather an account of my personal experience with it. I hope this will help you to make your purchase decision.

[UPDATE: Nov 10, 2012]
Because of the $50 price drop, I decided to give pancake a second try.

This second sample doesn't have the updated firmware (which I hoped for, but didn't came true) as the serial number indicates. Regardless of the absent of the updated firmware, this second sample seems to be better than the first one that I had. The mount is not as stiff, but still needs a little strong twist than normal in order to lock it. The sharpness is also better, but this improvement came with a caveat. I get very tart sharp picture only when I use the single center focus point. When I use any other focus modes or points other than center one, the sharpness is just OK, and sometime it is just plain soft. I know this softness problem is not with the camera because it doesn't happen when I use the 28-135.

I want to change the rating to 3.5, but this rating isn't any available. And for these two samples that I got, I don't think this lens fix the 4 star rating. Sorry, pancake...

I am now pondering whether I should return this and try a next copy again. If I do, I will update the review with the experience that I will have with it. Thank you for reading.
Comment Comments (42) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2015 2:21 AM PST