Profile for George W. Klepacz > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

George W. Klepacz "hi-def media fan" RSS Feed (Ohio)

Mortal Kombat - Playstation 3
Mortal Kombat - Playstation 3
Offered by Shopville USA
Price: $25.26
117 used & new from $8.43

5.0 out of 5 stars PS3 version gets the edge over 360 for controls. Plus Kratos., May 23, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I'm copying and pasting my 360 review here because 99% of it applies to the PS3 version. The main differences being the PS3 controller works much better than the 360's, and you can play as Kratos in the PS3 version. And he's not a throw away character, he has good moves, and is pretty balanced with the other characters. These are the two reasons why the PS3 version is better than the 360's. Other than that, same game. OK, on to the copy and paste!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parents: If you've been living under a rock, this game is not for kids. Lots of blood, dismemberment, and over the top killings. But great fun for adults who can separate fantasy from reality.

I love this game. The past few games were decent, but this one is probably the best MK to date. I like fighting games like Dead or Alive, Tekken, and the Virtual Fighter series, and while they may have deeper fighting engines than MK, this is still my favorite series. I enjoy the special moves each character has, like Scorpion's spear, Sub Zero's Ice Blast, etc that you don't see in the other series. Of course the brutality and cheesiness also sets this game apart from the others. I mean how can you not like Johnny Cage's sunglasses breaking and him pulling out a new pair?

Gameplay - FUN, FUN, FUN! I love how they went back to MK's 2D roots and kept things simple. Just back and forth fighting, blocking, and beating the crap out of each other. I really like the new X-ray moves and how they can help level out a fight, plus they aren't a given since they can be blocked. Or you can use the Super Meter to enhance your special moves or perform a combo breaker. Very well thought out in my opinon.

The Story Mode was a blast. It was fun to play through the story of the first three games (with SOME changes) and a good way to have to use different characters. The only thing frustating was finally facing off against Shao Kahn at the end because they kept the quarter munching cheapness of the arcade intact with him. Sometimes I wanted to just smash my controller into my TV screen while facing him. But, whatever, he can be beat eventually as the difficulty is on a sliding scale, if you keep losing, things get easier. That goes throughout the game, not just against the final boss.

One other bad thing about story mode is there is not incentive to play through again once you beat it. The first time through, you earn lots of Koins to unlock things in the Krypt. The second time through you get 10 Koins for each fight you win. And you can't skip the movies in between the fights. Sure it's nice to watch them the first time through because you're basically particpating in a movie, but every time I continue or play through again I have to sit and wait? A little annoying.

Overall though, the Story Mode is a great single player experience for a fighting game. It gives the fights purpose.

To add to the single player experience is the Challenge Tower where there are 300 different challenges you have to do. They vary from fighting without arms, only being able to use your specials, not being able to use your specials, Test Your Might/Sight/Luck, fighting zombies, and so on. The usual goofiness that is involved in MK really stands out in the Challenge Tower too. There's one Challenge where Mileena wants to give you a teddy bear so you have to fight her to tell her you don't want anything to do with it. "Why don't you just take this bear?" "I don't want that fluffy thing!" You have to be there, but I'm sure most people will find these things funny when you actually play through them. :)

Unlockables are plentiful too. Everyone has an alternate costume, you can unlock the moves list for the alternate fatalities (you can still perform them if you know the moves beforehand though and then they show up in the Moves List without you spending your Koins to unlock them in the Krypt), tons of art to unlock if that's your sort of thing, and of course a couple of characters too.

Graphics - The graphics are top notch for a fighting game. The reimagined versions of the old classic stages, updated with much better 3D graphics is done very well. I really like the animation going on in the background, like the animated fighting going on in the background in The Pit, the debris flying around and the subways driving by in The Subway, the bodies being lowered into the acid pit, the guys being hung in the Living Forest, etc. The damage that occurs to your characters as the fight progresses is done well. Lots of blood flying during the fights of course and the fatalities look awesome.

Sound - Turn that volume up!!! The sound in this game is amazing and really adds to the already amazing presentation. I love the bass to emphasize the brutal hits, the highs of the swords and blades, the atmopheric sounds of the stages you're in. There's always a lot going on around you and you'd be hard pressed to show me another fighting game with sound as good as this. Very well done!

Controls - If you're using the Xbox 360 controller, the controls aren't as good as you can get. I bought this first for my PS3 and that controls great. I rarely have a problem pulling off a special move or fatality. On my Xbox, I can pull them off about 80% of the time. It gets a little frustrating that I struggle at all.

Summary - If you are an MK fan, you HAVE to buy this game, it's the best in the series. Even if you're just a casual fan of the fighting game genre, this game is well worth a purchase as there is lots to unlock, the game is tons of fun, there's lots to do for single players to keep occupied. The presentation is top notch from really good visuals to amazing sound effects that draw you into the environments and fights. The game is brutal, but over the top enough to have fun with it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 26, 2011 10:08 AM PDT

Mortal Kombat - Xbox 360
Mortal Kombat - Xbox 360
Offered by Atomic Gaming
Price: $29.95
85 used & new from $8.35

4.0 out of 5 stars Xbox 360 version loses one star because of controller., May 23, 2011

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 24, 2011 3:19 PM PDT

Case Logic GPSP-2 Professional GPS Case for 4.3-Inch Flatscreen GPS Navigators
Case Logic GPSP-2 Professional GPS Case for 4.3-Inch Flatscreen GPS Navigators
Offered by biddeal_co
Price: $14.42
6 used & new from $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great case for Tomtom Go x20 and x30 series, and more. VIDEO REVIEW, January 27, 2010
Length:: 4:05 Mins

Hi there, I am including a video review so you can see what the product looks like, what it comes with, and you can see a portable GPS in it. I've done one other video review here at Amazon, which didn't work for some odd reason, so if this one doesn't either I'll paste in the Youtube address. The video works! I uploaded in 720p, but it didn't process that way, so if you'd rather see the HD version of this, check out Youtube and look up Case Logic GPSP-2. User namer geocab123. Otherwise, enjoy and I hope this review helps you in your purchasing decision.

Also, to be thorough I'm inlcuding a brief write-up:

I just bought a new Tomtom Go 930 and since it didn't come with a case, I had to buy one separate. I chose this Case Logic GPSP-2 and I'm glad I did. My Go 930 fits inside the case almost perfectly. There is a little bit of play, but not enough for me to worry about any damage to my GPS unit. This case wasn't designed for a specific brand or model so having a bit of play is to be expected. However, there isn't a ton of play and don't expect to really fit anything else inside the case with your GPS. You may fit in you chargning cord, but if you want to carry around everything together, I suggest getting a bigger case.

This case has a stiff construction that gives your GPS unit very adequate protection against normal everyday handling, like putting it in a purse or bag, tossing it in the back seat, bumping your leg as it swings from the wrist strap, etc. The inner walls are lined with a soft felt like material, not with extra padding, but I feel confident that it is enough protection. Trust me, I'm not going to spend a few hundred dollars and skimp out on its protection.

Looks are subjective, but I like the way it looks. :)

If you're looking for a case to haul your GPS around with you so you don't have to leave it in the car where it can be stolen, or you're just looking for a protective case when it's not in use, this is a very good choice. It's affordable, well built, looks nice, and works great.

It fits my Tomtom Go 930, so it'll fit any of the Go x20 and x30 series. I'm not familiar with all the other Tomtom lines, or with Garmin's (although I'll try my buddy's Nuvi when I get a chance and I'll edit this review when I do) but I'm pretty sure if you have a 4.3" screen GPS, you'll be good to go.

EDIT added 2/1/2010: Tried my case with a friend's Garmin Nuvi 750 and it fits with more room than my Tomtom. It probably has enough room for a chargning cord no problem. Part of the reason I won't put anything else in the case with my Tomtom is because of it's shape, I have to face the screen where it would be against anything else I put in the case and I wouldn't trust that. You can see how my Tomtom looks inside in my video. :) The Garmin 750 has more of a square shape so you can face it backwards in the net allowing you to put the other stuff in which will only rub against the back of the device.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2010 8:20 PM PST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mask, very authentic looking. Recommended if you want to look like the original Michael Myers., October 28, 2009
Length:: 1:29 Mins

I don't really need a lot of words to describe this mask as the photo of the product pretty much shows you what you're getting. It really is authentic looking in person and well made, you definitely get what you pay for. This year is the first year I'll be dressing up for Halloween since I graduated high school back in the early 90's and I wanted to do it right by being the classic Halloween character, Michael Myers. I also bought navy blue mechanic's coveralls, and a fake bloddy machete to complete my costume. (I know that Michael Myers didn't use a machete, but I couldn't find a fake long knife like he used in the original 1978 movie so the machete will have to do.)

Last Friday I had a Halloween Movie Night over my house where we watched a couple of scary movies including the original Halloween. Toward the end of the movie I sneaked out of the room to put my costume on and when I came back, I stood behind the couch and hovered slightly over my friend's wife. When she saw everyone glancing behind her she turned around, saw me, then jumped off the couch scared out of her mind. I can't think of a better way to endorse this mask than by her reaction. After being punched in the arm a few times, I asked everyone's opinion of my costume and they all agreed it was really good.

So, if you're looking to dress up as Michael Myers, buy this mask and you'll look like the real thing.

Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection - Xbox 360
Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection - Xbox 360
Offered by gamedynasty
Price: $139.99
24 used & new from $21.90

5.0 out of 5 stars A great game, whether you've played pinball or not., October 28, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Long story short, buy this game you will not be disappointed. Worth every penny.

This game is an updated version of the one released for the original Xbox, PS2, and the Wii with 3 added tables, higher resolution graphics, and better physics, so if you're looking to buy this game (you should be) make sure this is the version you buy.

I'm currently 35, and when I was a lot younger, I used to frequent the local arcades. Unfortunately for me, I only occasionally paid attention to pinball. Back then, I was under the impression that your point totals were simply based on your reflexes and timing of using the flippers so I concentrated on video games. After purchasing Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection, I now see how completely wrong I was in that assumption and how I missed out on some really good gaming. Pinball tables had a lot of depth to them, from lane changing, to earning scoring multipliers and multiball play, to making the jet bumpers increase their point values, and so on. A lot of thought went into the design of pinball tables and I wish I wasn't ignorant to this fact until now when it's rare to see a pinball machine out in the wild.

This game has 13 accurately recreated real life tables, some of the best that Williams had to offer from the 70s, 80s, and 90s (and after reading up on them, they have MANY more great tables so hopefully we see them recreated in another game or offered as downloadable content), these are not made up tables like you see in Pinball FX on the 360 or Zen Pinball on the PS3.

Although I missed out on these in the arcade, the hard work put into this game really gives an accurate representation of what it would have been like to play these in person. Of course I realize that NOTHING beats the real feel of playing these in person, but since I can't go back in time, this is the next best thing, the physics of the ball seems very realistic, from the way it bounces off of targets or travels around the playfield, and the I think the controls are mapped perfectly on my 360's controller - the triggers operate the left and right flippers, the right analog stick is the plunger, and the left analog stick is used to nudge the table. The sounds of the machines are spot-on as well.

I think this game has a lot of replayability too as each table has a list of goals to accomplish to earn your achievements. These goals are really teaching aids to teach the ins and outs of each table so if you were like me and had no idea about the depth these tables had, you'll quickly learn how you were missing out. There's also an option in the menu of each table called "Instructions" that is a very good tutorial that shows each and every feature the table has to offer. The newer tables like Medieval Madness and Tales of the Arabian Nights have so much depth to them, it's insane, and I'm very glad for these tutorials as there's no way I would have figured all of the stuff I could do on my own.

This game really is for everybody. If you're into pinball, this game is a no brainer. If you're a casual gamer, this game would be a fantastic choice as it is a TON of fun and a great pick up and play game if you don't have a lot of time, and there's a lot of depth to it if you do have the time. If you're a hardcore gamer this game is also a great choice because after you beat the Basic Goals of each table, there are Wizard Level Goals that are very challenging to achieve if you're looking to up your Gamerscore. If you're looking for a great family game, this game is easy to pick up and play, and you can set up a 4 player tournament to include any number of tables you've unlocked for Free Play.

I have a ton of fun with this game and it is probably the best game I've purchased in years, well worth the budget price.

Sony VCL-HGA07 HG Wide Angle Conversion Lens 0.7x for 30/37mm
Sony VCL-HGA07 HG Wide Angle Conversion Lens 0.7x for 30/37mm

5.0 out of 5 stars This lens works beautifully! Worth the money. VIDEO REVIEW INCLUDED, August 21, 2009
Length:: 2:19 Mins

Having recently purchased this lens, I wanted to share my opinions on it. My camera is the Sony HDR-XR520V. My biggest reason for wanting this lens was so I could fit more in the picture when I filming indoors. It works beautifully for this, I now have a lot more in the frame. The picture is clear all the way around. There is some slight barrel distortion around the edges of the picture, but it's only noticeable with straight lines, and it's very slight. I've read in places that the lens is heavy and uncomfotable to use one the camera, but I disagree. Yes, it does add some weight, not enough for me to be concerned though.

I can go on, but I can't think of a better way to illustrate this lens than to show you what it looks like in action. Please watch my video review.

I hope this review helped you in your decision. I am very happy I bought this lens, and you will be too.

Since Amazon is still having problems getting my review online, I hope they let me post the Youtube link for it: [...]

1/30/10: YEAH! My video is finally online here! Goofy that it took this long, but at least you can see the lens in action now. If you'd prefer to see it in HD, check it out at Youtube. Search for Sony VCL-HGA07 and my username is geocab123. Also, I'd like to mention that I still love this lens. :)
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 19, 2010 12:30 PM PST

BISSELL ProHeat 2X CleanShot Upright Deep Cleaner, Red Berends, 9500
BISSELL ProHeat 2X CleanShot Upright Deep Cleaner, Red Berends, 9500

5.0 out of 5 stars This cleaner has saved my dog's life!, September 7, 2008
Long review short, if you're looking for a carpet cleaner, BUY THIS MACHINE.
I have to say that I am extremely happy with buying the 9500 Proheat. I was very wary about it working as advertised, but all of my fears went away after the first couple of uses. First some background: I am a 34 year old male, and I've lived in my house for 12 years now and have never had the carpets cleaned. Imagine how much dirt I've let accumulate with the traffic of two people, and two 75lb. dogs running in and out of the house every day. For the past couple of years, I was considering just buying new carpeting and then taking better care of it, but unfortunately my German Sheppard has developed all kinds of health problems. He has congestive heart failure, but his heart medication and water pills are working wonders and he's as playful as ever. The problem is, his water pill makes him need to pee a lot more often. Unfortunately, he sometimes decides to pee behind the couch. Tiring of cleaning up the mess every morning with normal carpet cleaning products, and the smell of urine not getting out of the carpet, I decided to buy the Bissell after some thorough research.

Putting it together wasn't too difficult, but I think the instructions could be a little better by including actual photos instead of illustrations of what part goes where.

At the risk of making myself look like a fool, please use this next section to help you learn from MY mistakes: I thought to myself, how hard can this be, just run the machine and that's that. I filled the bladder with water and the soap container with soap. Immediately, the soap container leaked all over the place. Well, I had cross threaded the cap so it wasn't seated correctly, I haven't had a problem since. My next step was turning the unit on and water began to leak all over the place from the hose. I checked the switch on the front and it was set to clean the floors so I thought I had a broken machine. I was getting aggravated because of the soap thing and the water spraying and leaking all over the place was very HOT. Again, user error caused the problem. When I put the hose together and latched it in like you're supposed to, I didn't pay attention to how I had the hand tool faced, the trigger was being pressed down so of course it was spraying water, just like it was designed. Solving that problem, I began to clean the carpet behind the couch but no matter what I did, the carpet was way too wet after each pass. Now I started to think about the negative reviews where others were having problems with wetness, I wasn't seeing an improvement in the carpet, it was just getting worse with all of the water, and I thought how this was the last hope for my dog's life in the house and how it seemingly wasn't panning out. I decided to forget I was a guy and I ACTUALLY READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!! Lo and behold, I was doing things wrong. Imagine that.

I found that the proper way to clean the carpet is: WHILE HOLDING DOWN THE TRIGGER, make a slow forward pass, and then a slow backward pass over the same line. Next, RELEASE THE TRIGGER and repeat the back and forth action. Repeat this second part until you no longer see water being sucked up. Suddenly, my results were improving!

After knowing how to properly use the Proheat, I once again began to clean the area behind the couch. It took many passes for the Bissell to clean 12 years of neglect and a couple weeks of pee. It literally took me 7 hours to clean up the 3' by 3' peed on areas to the point where the water being sucked up was no longer black. I learned two lessons here, normal carpet cleaning sprays and scrubbing is a useless task (doesn't clean deeply), and I will never neglect my carpets again. Thankfully, the rest of the carpet, while taking more than a few passes, did not take nearly as long to clean as the peed on areas.

The results? WOW! I can't believe the improvement. The carpet is almost back to its original color amazingly. If it weren't trampled down from 12 years of traffic, it would look new again, but that part is not the Bissell's problem, just the cleaning up of the dirt and it did its job admirably. And used correctly, the Proheat dries the carpet very well, leaving only a slight dampness that dries completely in a couple of hours. I've had this unit for a month now and have almost finished cleaning my entire house and it's still working just as well as Day One. While I haven't tried the powered hand tool yet, the 3" hand tool has worked fantastically well on my couch. I cleaned one half of the back to see how good it would work, and the difference between the two halves is like night and day. I was astonished by how dirty the couch actually is.

To sum things up, I am very satisfied with my purchase of the Bissell 9500 Proheat 2X. It cleaned my carpet very well, and the urine smell is no longer there from my dog's mishaps. Thankfully, his accidents have become WAAAAAAAAAAY less frequent too, added bonus! I think part of that is the Bissell getting rid of his scent. I really didn't want to turn him into an outside dog or worse yet, have to put him down.

If you're looking into purchasing this product, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND it. This machine cleans and dries well when used properly and if you avoid my earlier mistakes I have no doubts that you'll be very satisfied with your purchase.