Profile for trock4190 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

trock4190 RSS Feed

The Borderlands 2 Season Pass [Online Game Code]
The Borderlands 2 Season Pass [Online Game Code]
Price: $29.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Gambling, January 30, 2013
I bought this because I had the original Borderlands and loved it and the DLC so much that I figured I would save myself some money this time around. Unfortunately, this is basically gambling, as I'm paying for something before I know what it is I'm getting. As it turns out, Borderlands 2's DLC has been ok, but not great. Extremely funny, as always, but not really something to write home about in terms of additional content and quality. This is the first time I ever bought a "season pass" and it will almost certainly be the last. I never liked the idea when it first came out and now I thoroughly disagree with it.

Samsung UN46EH6000 46-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED HDTV (Black) (2012 Model)
Samsung UN46EH6000 46-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED HDTV (Black) (2012 Model)

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Nice TV, November 13, 2012
This TV was a little outside of my price range, but luckily some well-timed gift money put it within reach. I've only had it for a month or so, so I cannot speak to its longevity. However, since it's a Samsung I'm told that likely will not be much of an issue.

Here's what I can say:

It was very simple to set up. I did it on my own in my living room in about 20 minutes (although I didn't wall mount it or anything fancy like that). It arrived intact, no damage or defects that I could detect.

The picture is absolutely gorgeous. I had an Insignia 32" 1080p LCD TV prior to this one and there is just no comparison. TV was meant to be watched on a screen like this. The LED backlight probably helps a ton, but the colors are vibrant and the contrast is superb. One thing I will mention is that the 120Hz refresh rate definitely takes some getting used to. At first everything looks like you're watching a soap opera, which can be a little unsettling. It mostly just makes it look like what you're watching is actually in the room with you, like if you were watching real life through a window. I'm already getting used to it and think I will eventually like it a lot, but I can understand that many people might be put off by it. If you think you might be one of those people, then be careful, because as far as I can tell there is no way to adjust to a lower rate, like 60Hz. I thought it would be permitted, but there's no mention of it in the manual and nothing in the menus.

One complaint I do have is that it only has 2 HDMI ports. This isn't a problem if all you have is a TV box and Blu Ray player, but if you want to connect things like a PC or console device in as well, you're going to have to play musical ports, which I've been doing with a laptop from time to time. Not sure why they were skimpy on that.

Overall I think it's an excellent TV. It's a bit pricey, but if you've got the money it's hard to go wrong with this one.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 27, 2012 8:17 AM PST

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - PC
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - PC
Offered by TnsDeals
Price: $11.49
19 used & new from $6.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Good game, September 23, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Unfortunately, I've never had the pleasure of playing the previous titles in this series. However, I can say that this game is very fun and pretty much glitch/bug free as far as I've seen on two play throughs. It lets you use whatever tactics, strategies and routes you want to tackle every mission. It really gives the game an open world feel, which is great because it's actually pretty linear.

The only major criticism I can throw at it is one pretty much every reviewer out there has already touched on: the boss battles. The game can be played all the way through without ever killing a soul (although stunning and knocking out are pretty much the same as killing, because the guys never get up). Designing a stealthy, non-lethal character is arguably the most fun I had. However, when you come across the first boss you realize: wow, I have to fight this guy and the only lethal weapon I have is a silenced pistol...Two of the four major bosses took me over an hour to beat, just because I kept dying over and over again because my character wasn't prepared for them.

The difficulty I had was partly my fault, though, as I should have learned my lesson after the first boss. On the flip side, an offensive kill-first-ask-questions-later character build will result in a pretty easy game, including the bosses. They go down very quickly, especially later when you have a really bad ass arsenal.

Aside from the bosses problem, the game is phenomenal and I highly recommend it.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
Offered by SoftwareCW
Price: $29.38
27 used & new from $5.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Game, June 12, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Ok, so they have released a bunch of updates and the (FREE!) enhanced edition upgrade is right around the corner, so my original review is less relevant.

I'm a big fan of this series and this game. It's absolutely gorgeous and the mature story is beyond impressive, especially for a video game. With all the patches the game already seems basically bug-free and the enhanced edition promises to provide even more fixes, along with new content/cinematics and changes to gameplay, combat and other mechanics. Overall, the game is much more forgiving in combat, especially starting out. No longer will you suffer repeated deaths at the hands of some shield-wall knight and his 2-3 cronies in a ridiculously difficult early tutorial fight.

On the flip side, the game is still quite challenging, especially on the harder difficulties. You will need to play smart and use whatever resources you have to progress. The story is very adult-oriented and, in my opinion, equal to any good movie or book. The characters are compelling and really help you get into the world. The choices you are offered are meaningful and truly impact the progression of the game, including the locations you visit. Graphically, it is a beautiful game and I can guarantee that if you've got the hardware for it, this game delivers in spades.

Let's not forget that the developer CDProjekt Red works tirelessly to provide post-release support, updates and content for this game, all for free. They are truly emerging as one of the classiest and most respectable developers in the world and I salute them for their hard work and phenomenal product. Keep it up! This is an excellent game.

Old Review:

I was a big fan of the first game and this is a great sequel. Challenging and engaging, they improved everything over the original. It's definitely a game for the hardcore gamer, because it's completely unforgiving if you're stupid. You should be using everything at your disposal in combat; if you don't, don't be surprised when you die.

It has a very mature story, but if you didn't play the first or don't really pay attention then you will likely get lost and confused at times. Some might consider that a con, but I do not. I highly recommend this game.

Borderlands Game of the Year - PC
Borderlands Game of the Year - PC
Offered by BLS Mart
Price: $13.99
21 used & new from $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars The One Problem..., January 20, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
The DLC is not on the disk, instead you get a one-time use voucher to download it, which is the sole reason I did not give this a five star rating. I'm enjoying it immensely, but I've got to get all my fun in now, because if I ever want to uninstall it or have to get a new computer it's bye bye DLC. I am disappointed in Gearbox...

EDIT: You can, in fact, reinstall the DLC on subsequent installs or on other PCs, etc. However, the process of revoking previous installs online is both cumbersome and irritating. This is an excellent game and I've put more hours into it than I would care to count. I'm extremely excited for the sequel this September. If you like FPS, co-op, action RPG elements and tons of loot, then you should own this game and have already preordered Borderlands 2. Still, due to the DLC shenanigans with this GOTY edition, I stand by my original review.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2014 7:36 AM PST