Profile for N. J. Simicich > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 1966

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

N. J. Simicich "Gadget Geek" RSS Feed (Labelle, FL United States)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Sci-Fighters
Sci-Fighters
Price: $1.29

3.0 out of 5 stars lookout does not call out anything on the app, October 20, 2013
This review is from: Sci-Fighters (App)
I use lookout for phone security. It scanned the game's install file and didn't see any problem. It either does not have a signature for this Trojan or it is a fall positive.

In any case, I didn't play it. I thought the permissions were excessive for a game.

First Meetings: In Ender's Universe (The Ender Quintet)
First Meetings: In Ender's Universe (The Ender Quintet)
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $5.98

4.0 out of 5 stars I now want to read some other ender stuff, September 26, 2013
I have always been a great fan of the original ender book, and I really enjoyed it back when Card was allowed to do his "Secular Humanist Revivals" at SF cons. But I have been hesitant about sequels since the endless Dune trash. This process to me that Card can write in his universe. I will probably finish the stuff written in this universe now.

The Treasure Box
The Treasure Box
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $6.64

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a horror fan, September 26, 2013
This review is from: The Treasure Box (Kindle Edition)
I consider this book well into the horror genre. I am not a horror fan. It seemed inventive, but the ending was telegraphed from about the middle of the book. In general, I like Card's writing. Not this one so much.

The Simpsons: Tapped Out
The Simpsons: Tapped Out
Price: $0.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for use on kindle fire HD big screen, July 19, 2013
This review is from: The Simpsons: Tapped Out (App)
I originally grabbed this app from the Google store and manually moved the install file to the kindle. The appsort of worked, but it nearly froze up all the time, and if I tried to visit a friends Springfield, it would, about 70% of the time, just drop me back to the home screen. Oh yeah, the big graphic was real fuzzy.

Well, I figured out was my lookout, since I moved the file, no guarantees, but lots of things work.

Then I saw the app on the Amazon store. When it was offered for the kindle HD, I thought that maybe they had applied some bug fixes. Wrong. The graphic looks nice, but the rest of the bugs are there.

It is nice to have a second device, no matter how badly it works in case the game reset you like it did me at level 25. I homed out of the game on my phone so it wouldn't sync but restarting it several times out me into a starting game. I was able to get my game back by playing it on my kindle, forcing a sync, and then logging in on my phone again.

I have never seen any of the problems described above on my old s2 or my new s4. I am a bit disappointed in how Amazon vetted the app for the kindle HD, I think that the problems don't show up until you have a lot of objects on the screen. My town is max level with many houses, businesses etc., so it likely stresses graphics. Phones have no trouble, kindle chokes...sometimes. I don't know why, but this app needs to be reevaluated for the kindle. On the phone I love it.

Lightning Bug - Sleep Clock
Lightning Bug - Sleep Clock
Price: $2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars "Lightning Bug has stopped" - repeat ad nauseam, June 19, 2013
This review is from: Lightning Bug - Sleep Clock (App)
I get this message within one minute of starting the app. It took me five tries to turn the beta sound off after the app cajoled me into turning it on, because of repeated failures, but it made no difference, the app still failed quickly after startup. I am using an 8.9"kindle fire HD.

Given the unreliability of the app, I can only rate it one star.

FUNimation Free ( Kindle Tablet Edition )
FUNimation Free ( Kindle Tablet Edition )

1.0 out of 5 stars completely unable to get this to play anything, May 24, 2013
I would have bought a funimation subscription to watch all of the back episodes of one piece, if I could have gotten any of the funimation videos to play on my kindle. The app seems to be a miserable failure, I try to play one of the free videos and nothing happens. So I am not going to give them money.

Logitech G230 Stereo Gaming Headset
Logitech G230 Stereo Gaming Headset
Price: $37.99
76 used & new from $34.00

5.0 out of 5 stars simple headphones that work with your already existing sound system, May 24, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I own or have owned four different Logitech headphones. Most of them attach to your usb port, which means that they can only be used with a computer, and they slightly complicate your life by creating a new usb sound device. Now, if you intend to use this with a device that has two 3.5mm plugs, you can plug this right in, just do it. It has its own volume control. The sound is not bad, but the headset is not light. If you want to plug it into, say, a Kindle and just listen, well, you plug the headset line in and it works perfectly. But if you want to use the Mic with a Kindle or a phone, you need an adapter. One example would be the Headset Buddy 01-PC35-PH25/35- PC Headset to 2.5mm and 3.5mm Adapter for Phone/Smartphone Combo Pack which would allow you to connect this device to any 2.5mm or 3.5mm phone or tablet. I believe that, given the heavy predominance of tablets and smartphones, that Logitech should have included this adapter, but I don't make decisions for them. For what it is, a gaming headset for a pc with a built in soundcard, it is great. Cloth wrapped wires make the whole thing feel high quality, as you would expect from one of the premium marquees in gaming sound.

TASTE Specialty Foods Juniper Berries, 10-Ounce Plastic Container
TASTE Specialty Foods Juniper Berries, 10-Ounce Plastic Container
Price: $16.99
2 used & new from $16.45

4.0 out of 5 stars needed them to make corned beef, May 7, 2013
This is a healthy bottle of juniper berries. They added a delightful overtone to my corned beef and corned tongue. Too much dust for five stars, though, since the dust is probably of rodent origin (I have no proof of this, I just assume that all dirt in spices is nasty as you can imagine). A quick rinse and they were ready to use. I will look for them again if this is not a lifetime supply.

Pilot
Pilot
DVD
Price: $0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars basically, had absolutely nothing funny in it or interesting about it., May 7, 2013
Well, it would be hard to find 20 positive things to say about this pilot. It is easy to find 20 negative things though. Fourth rate? Real fourth raters would be insulted. Sophomoric, prejudicial, unfunny, ill-acted, undirected are words that could well be used to describe this miserable attempt at humor. I just got through watching the Netflix original, "House of Cards". They succeeded where this simply failed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 7, 2013 1:28 PM PDT

StatsPac
StatsPac

4.0 out of 5 stars To be perfect it needs, April 5, 2013
This review is from: StatsPac (App)
To be perfect this app needs (1) optional reverse polish entry (2) programmability (3) trig functions (like sine() cosine() etc. with entry in degrees, grads, or radians - or all entry in radians and conversion functions. Almost the first thing I wanted to do was plot a sine wave, and I couldn't. Without the functions, expecting a regression to use them is pointless, as it were.

If you don't need that, this is a great app. Several flavors of random numbers, all sorts of tests and a basic calculator that is, at the least, decent, even though the included functions are limited to permutations and combinations. Handy if you need to know how the lotto payout compares to the odds. Worth it for $10 and definitely one of the better all time free apps of the day.

I would have given it five stars had it had even one of the "to be perfect" points. I wish the scale went to 10 so that I could give it 9.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 14, 2013 9:57 AM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20