Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Profile for Tim Martin > Reviews

Browse

Tim Martin's Profile

Customer Reviews: 145

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Tim Martin RSS Feed (South Bend, Indiana United States)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
Birding for the Curious: The Easiest Way for Anyone to Explore the Incredible World of Birds
by Nate Swick
Price: $13.75
76 used & new from $9.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good basic introduction to birding!, August 29, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you are curious about birding or new to birding, this is the book for you!

It is completely jargon free and is a very welcoming guide to the world of birding.

The author walks through the basics: how to find birds, what binoculars to buy, how to buy a field guide, where to find other birders, etc.

The author starts off with the assumption that you are completely new to birding. The first chapter is "How To Look Like A Birder." By this he means how to notice the birds that are all around us. I really like how he approaches birding with an emphasize on the bird and its habitat and behavior. Identifying comes later in the process. From there the birding adventure is built upon with short chapters on the development into birderhood.

I've been birding for my entire life and wish there was a bird book like this around when I started. If you are new to birding or are looking for a gift for a person just starting to be interested in birds, here you go!

Boxa Hopper   School Supply Organizer Bin, 6 per Pack (6-HR04-0-BB-06)
Boxa Hopper School Supply Organizer Bin, 6 per Pack (6-HR04-0-BB-06)
Price: $28.67

1.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably over priced., August 23, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Okay, this is just a cardboard fold together box. Just like the ones you can buy much, much cheaper at any office supply store. Don't even bother.

Swiss Legend Men's 10013-11 World Timer Collection Chronograph Stainless Steel Watch

3.0 out of 5 stars A big, heavy watch!, August 23, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is one heavy watch! Out of the box it weighs 7.7 oz. You definitely know you are wearing a watch when this on your wrist and other people will too----the watch face has a 2" diameter.

It is a beautiful watch and well designed. The hour and minute hands are easier to read and the date and timer dials are small, but easy to read. It is well constructed and very functional

If I was judging the watch on just the watch, I would give it 4 stars.

However, I received this watch for free and if I had paid for the watch I would be irritated by a couple of things. First, this is a complicated watch and you buy it because it has a lot of functions. You would think the instruction manual would be helpful. It isn't. You don't get a model specific manual. You get a manual that contains instructions for various models of watches you need to figure out which one is yours and flip around to find it throughout the manual. If you are paying this much for a watch, you deserve your own manual.

Also, the watch band is very large. Unless you have a very large wrist, you will need to remove a link or two and that will add cost to the watch. It would have been better if they would have included an extra link or two for people with very large wrists rather than making most people go to a jeweler to have link(s) taken out.

So, these two factors knocked down my rating to three stars. If you want a nice big watch and the above two points don't bother you, then this would a good watch for you!

Kahuna Board Game (2-Player)
Kahuna Board Game (2-Player)
Price: $17.98
38 used & new from $12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun game!, August 23, 2015
This review is from: Kahuna Board Game (2-Player) (Toy)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a fun game! It doesn't take too long to play and is deceptively strategic. The game board is small, so it is the perfect game to bring to a coffee shop or on a picnic.

The game play is simple: you build bridges between islands until you have enough to claim the island. You build bridges by playing cards that have the appropriate island on it. You can also remove your opponents bridges by playing two cards.

The game is played in three short rounds. After the third round you add up the scores to determine the winners.

When we first started playing, we thought the game was pretty simple. Then, as we begun the second round, we started discovering the strategic elements of the game. The box said the game is 80% strategy, 50% luck, 100% card tactics and 80% area control. We found those percentages in be dead on.

The great thing about the game is that you can still have conversations and diversion while you are playing. It is strategic but not the type of strategic that requires you to get a headache! Very much a "conversational/tea/coffee/play a game" game. It took us about an hour and a half to play two complete games. We will certainly play again.

You will enjoy!

NUTRO  Adult Dry Cat Food, Turkey & Brown Rice, 3 lbs.
NUTRO Adult Dry Cat Food, Turkey & Brown Rice, 3 lbs.
Offered by wholesaleindy
Price: $5.92
12 used & new from $5.92

4.0 out of 5 stars Helped my cat's coat, August 21, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I started using this when I was babysitting a cat. I already have a cat, so I figured I would test it on both cats. Neither of them seemed to mind it when I switched food on them. I have an "all out can eat" type feeder, so the cats can help themselves whenever they want.

There was no noticeable aversion or attraction to eating the food. Both cats seemed pretty neutral about it. This is pretty much their reaction anytime they are fed dry food. Break out the canned food.....well, that is a different story.

My cat has been eating this food for about two weeks and I will say that I have noticed a change in his coat. It does appear to be shinier and there is less dry flaking. So, in that regard it is better than other dry foods I have tried.

This food is worth feeding to your cat and it does help your cat's coat. (I should also say that my cat is not a finicky eater, at all).

Remington PF7500 F5 Comfort Series Foil Shaver, Men's Electric Razor, Electric Shaver, Blue
Price: $49.99
38 used & new from $49.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good dependable razor, August 13, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a good dependable razor. I've been using it for a couple of weeks and it does a decent job.

Of course, it doesn't do as good as job as a razor, but no electric razors do. I've used many different types and even though they all claim they do, none of them come close to a razor.

But I am lazy and this electric razor does a fine job of making me ready for work! I still use an old fashioned straight razor for date nights.

My last electric razor was rotary. I really enjoy the rectangle shape of the razor head on this unit. It allows me to get in close around my beard without worrying about shaving off something I don't want to shave off. It also has a pop up trimmer that is good for making clean lines.

This electric razor has replaced the much more expensive electric razor I had been using. This razor is very reasonably priced and performs very well.

Very much recommend it!

George Foreman GFO201R Indoor/Outdoor Electric Grill, Red
George Foreman GFO201R Indoor/Outdoor Electric Grill, Red
Price: $99.99
22 used & new from $79.99

4.0 out of 5 stars which isn't a bad thing. Yesterday, August 3, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've tried this grill out a a couple of different ways. I don't eat meat, but I ordered it to be able to grill vegetables in my kitchen. I used it to grill corn and asparagus and it did a decent job. Nothing to write home about, but it freed up a burner on my stove, which isn't a bad thing.

Yesterday, I bought a steak for my daughter to try on it (my daughter is a meat eater). I put the setting on five and it did a great job of grilling her steak. It seared it nicely and left nice char marks on the steak. I was quite impressed how quickly and easily it cooked the steak.

So for vegetables, it was decent. For steak it was very good. I'm also assuming it will do an equally good job on chicken.

It is basically a glorified version of the flat griddle my mom made pancakes with when I was a kid. Except it has ridges instead of a flat surface. It plugs into a three plug outlet and heats up very quickly. The cord is of a decent length for outdoor cooking, but be aware that you are limited by your electrical outlets. It is nicely made and the it sits on your counter without taking up too much space.

All in all we are pretty happy with it!

The Illusionists: A Novel
The Illusionists: A Novel
by Rosie Thomas
Price: $22.56
53 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh, August 1, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For three weeks I have been stuck on page 145 and cannot summon the strength to carry on. That pretty much sums it up.

I ordered this book because it mentioned the Night Circus (a wonderful book) in one of its marketing blurbs. Though they both involve performers, that pretty much is the end of any similarities. The book starts off interestingly enough but the characters quickly become one-dimensional and the plot predictable. You can see where this book is going a mile off. Now, it could be that things radically change after page 145, but doubt it.

The author's forte is romance novels and it does show in this book (I am not a fan of romance novels). I'm not sure if the Victorian age is a new genre for the author. But it does not seem as if she is comfortable in that time (at least in this book).

I try very hard to finish books, but this one I finally gave up on. I have a tall stack of books that I want to read and by putting this one aside I can move on to them.

Read the Night Circus instead.

Five Star Expanding File, 6-Pocket, 13 x 9-3/8 Inches, Blue/Yellow/Green Striped (73078)
Price: $10.66
4 used & new from $6.40

4.0 out of 5 stars Daughter recommended and daughter approved, July 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I ordered this expanding file to keep track of bills and medical records for taxes. Alas, it was liberated by my daughter the moment she saw it. Evidently it is the exact expanding file she uses at school.

So, the following review is based upon her experience, not mine.

She said it is a very good expanding file and it will last all year. It is very durable and the does not break. She did say that you can't cram too many papers into the dividing sections because they may split. Editorial note: by this means you can't shove a year's worth of assignments into each slot. Yeah, pretty much common sense there.

She has been using these expanding file folders throughout high school and plans on using them in college.

Can't get a better recommendation than that.

$2.00 a Day: Living on Almost Nothing in America
$2.00 a Day: Living on Almost Nothing in America
by Harry Shaefer
Price: $17.28
103 used & new from $10.22

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good book about a class of our citizens that are completely ignored, July 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Based upon two decades of research this book paints a devastating portrait of the abandoned poor in our country. There is no social net for these people; they are left on their own to survive the best they can.

The authors do a good job of describing the history of welfare and welfare reform in this country as well as describe in detail the ways in which our current welfare system completely fails a large number of our citizens. The book is not political, it merely describes the reality of a class of citizens that live on less than $2.00 a day.

The authors use the examples of several families to make this reality real to the reader. You will be awed by the bravery of the families and also devastated by the indifference in which they are treated. The book also destroys the illusion of the lazy welfare class----these people want to work. They just can't find jobs or the jobs they find are totally incompatible with raising a family.

There is a direct correlation between the low prices we demand at fast food restaurants and retail stores and the quality of life of workers. How can we expect a person to raise a family (or an extended family) on a job with varying hours and in which the power structure is completely titled towards the employer?

The authors provide recommendations at the end of the book which are common sense and completely doable.

The book is a fairly short read and you will read it very, very quickly. It is very good.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15