Profile for JohnDoe155 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 116

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

JohnDoe155 RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
G.I. Joe: Retaliation
G.I. Joe: Retaliation
Price: $6.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't watch it, its BAD!!!, April 13, 2014
How bad it is? Let me put it this way: remember that moment in the trailer where Bruce Willis says his cholesterol is a little bit high? Well, this is the funniest moment in the whole movie and the only thing that makes sense too.

Still think about watching it? Don't tell me I didn't warn you.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent printer, especially if you get it when it is on sale., December 5, 2013
My old LJ 2100 started giving me troubles - multiple sheets fed at once, or sheet just stops in the middle of being pulled through the printer. I was somewhat frustrated because even though it was old (~15 years) I only printed about 5,000 pages over these years. I bought one of these printer refurbishment kits sold on eBay for $20-$40. Installing it was not that simple, and after installation front feed stopped working altogether (could be something I did wrong) and problem with page stopping in the middle remained. So I figured it is time for a new printer.

After doing some research I settled on this one (M401dne). I got it for 230 plus sales tax at my local office supply store that price matched it to another office supply store.

This printer is in the middle of Pro 400 family. The one below it is lacking duplexer and has half as much memory (128MB vs 256MB). The one above it adds touch-screen and direct Wi-Fi printing. They all support Ethernet connectivity and the same printer languages in hardware (PCL 6, PCL 5e, PostScript). If you ask me - for a little price premium you owe it to yourself to have real duplexer. However, I consider touch screen and direct Wi-Fi to be gimmicks and not worth it.

I haven't printed a lot yet but so far it works great. Speed for text documents (or Word/PDF files with mostly text) is as advertised. I also scanned one page as 1200 DPI grayscale and printer printed it fine even though it did take long. Spooled file reached 400-something megabytes if I am not mistaken.

One reviewer for the lower end model mentioned that on large jobs pages come out so hot that he/she burned his/her hand (exact words were something like "as if pages were fused in the Earth core" :D ). I haven't done any large jobs yet but it is good to know.

Toner is expensive, especially high capacity 6900 page cartridge. It almost gets to the point of inkjets where the price of one cartridge is comparable to the price of printer itself.

I have printer connected via Ethernet so that it can be shared between all my computers. Printer wakes up just fine when jobs are submitted via the network. As opposed to my old LJ 2100 printer web interface no longer requires Java, which is great. LJ 2100 only supported specific old version of Java that only worked with old browsers, so I could only access web UI from my old Windows XP PC where I had to install old version of FireFox and old version of Java just for that occasion.

This is why you need to pick this printer over cheaper models:

1) LCD control panel vs cryptic blinking LED-s.
2) Networking, so it can easily be shared by plugging it in your router
3) Support for PCL 6, PCL 5e and PostScript IN HARDWARE (as opposed to "host-based" printers)
4) Built-in duplexer.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 19, 2014 12:19 PM PDT

The Heat
The Heat

1.0 out of 5 stars Skip it., December 5, 2013
This review is from: The Heat (Amazon Instant Video)
This movie is just awful. As if it being one long cliche was not bad enough there is also zero chemistry between main stars. Speaking of plot - if you have any intelligence you should be offended.

Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
DVD ~ Idris Elba
Price: $9.99
98 used & new from $7.91

1.0 out of 5 stars The fact that you can do something doesn't mean that you should., December 5, 2013
This review is from: Pacific Rim (Blu-ray) (Blu-ray)
And one thing you don't have to do is to watch this stupid movie.

This movie is a stillborn child of Godzilla and Transformers. If it was called Godzformers and had no human actors it would get 2 stars. The way it is one star is one too many.

Rosewill 56 Kbps USB Plug and Play Modem (RNX-56USB)
Rosewill 56 Kbps USB Plug and Play Modem (RNX-56USB)
Price: $19.99
36 used & new from $10.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Works fine for faxing over VOIP line. Has no speaker. Windows 7 x64 installs generic Microsoft driver., November 23, 2013
I purchased it to send faxes over VOIP phone line and it works fine for that under Windows 7 x64. It has no speaker (so you can't hear if fax answered on the other side) but I didn't deduct any stars for that - it seems that all USB modems like that don't have speaker. Windows 7 x64 installs generic Microsoft driver as soon as device is plugged in. Latest drivers on included CD are for Vista.

Rosewill website has their own driver for Windows 7 x64 (and x32) but I don't see a point of trying it.

I have not used it for dialup internet access, so can't comment on that.

Sharknado
Sharknado
Price: $2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars This movie is so bad..., November 8, 2013
This review is from: Sharknado (Amazon Instant Video)
... it's bad.

"Snakes on a Plane" it aint. The only reason "Snakes" deserved its status was because of Samuel Jackson - if it was not for him and his over the top performance "Snakes" would just be another crappy B-movie. And this is what "Sharknado" is.

Oblivion [HD]
Oblivion [HD]

2.0 out of 5 stars Typical "Tom Cruise" movie., September 1, 2013
Plot is rather primitive and movie is just boring more often than not. Tom Cruise is doing his thing which gets old. Both female leads are pretty bad as far as acting goes. If I paid two dollars for HD rental I would give 3 out of 5.

Dredd
Dredd
Price: $3.99

1.0 out of 5 stars What a waste of network traffic!, September 1, 2013
This review is from: Dredd (Amazon Instant Video)
My perspective: I judge movie on its own merit. I didn't read comic book.

Let me summarize this movie to you:

Judge Dredd growls something with supposedly scary voice.

Judge Dredd shoots.

Brains on the wall.

Judge Dredd changes ammunition type and shoots again.

More brains one the wall.

If this is all you expected you may like it. As for me - I am sorry for wasted time and network traffic.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 3, 2013 1:15 PM PDT

Tales from the Script
Tales from the Script
DVD ~ Shane Black
Price: $14.96
28 used & new from $11.22

5.0 out of 5 stars A great story about how Hollywood works told by screenwriters, August 22, 2013
This review is from: Tales from the Script (DVD)
After watching you will understand why most of the movies nowadays is a jumbled, incoherent mess.

Memorable quote: "Nobody know what they are doing. Everyone is terrified".

Seasonic M12II 620 BRONZE ; SS-620GM2 80Plus Power Supply
Seasonic M12II 620 BRONZE ; SS-620GM2 80Plus Power Supply
Price: $89.99
20 used & new from $67.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Great but not officially compatible with Haswell C6/C7 low power modes., August 21, 2013
My build:

Intel i7-4770 CPU with stock cooler (not overclocked)
Asus Z87-Plus motherboard
32 GB of Kingston KHX16C9P1K2/16 RAM (4x8GB) - from Asus compatibility list for this motherboard
2x2TB internal hard drives - WD Caviar Black WD2002FAEX
Pioneer BDR-2208 Blu-ray drive (retail, includes software for Blu-ray playback)
Asus GTX650TIB-DC2OC-2GD5 GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST graphics card
SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W power supply
CoolerMaster N400 case (note that all time favorite CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo is VERYTIGHTFIT for this case - about 4mm between the top of the heat sink and side cover. I decided not to use it)
Windows 7 x64

This was my my first build ever. This power supply is probably a bit of an overkill but I wanted my system to be as quiet as it can be, hence this choice.

!!! Please note that as of 8/21/2013 this power supply officially doesn't support Haswell very low power sleep states (C6/C7). The list of compatible power supplies has been published by Seasonic and this power supply is not listed (which is not surprising because it was designed before Haswell was available). That is Haswell power consumption in some of the sleep modes can be so low the PC will power off completely instead of entering sleep or hibernation mode. That being said, such power states most likely can be disabled in your motherboard BIOS and it should not present a problem (at a cost of slightly higher power consumption). In my case CPU Power C States are set to "Auto" in BIOS, Hibernation is disabled in Windows and OS is setup not to go to sleep automatically. If I enter sleep state manually computer wakes up without a problem.

PS looks to be very well made and it is almost inaudible. You pretty much can't hear it unless you put your ear right next to it.

Some of the motherboard power cables are not long enough to be routed behind the motherboard, so if this is of great importance to you - keep this in mind.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12