Profile for J. Harvey > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 2076

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Harvey RSS Feed (Boston)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
HORI Screen Protective Filter for Nintendo NEW 3DS XL
HORI Screen Protective Filter for Nintendo NEW 3DS XL
Price: $8.99
9 used & new from $5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install and easy to re-install if you mess ..., May 29, 2015
Easy to install and easy to re-install if you mess up or if dust gets caught underneath! That was the big thing for me. I got an Invisible Shield first, and it was already a little creased inside the box, and I couldn't get it on without bubbles. When I tried to take it off, that ruined it.

This one had no bubbles, comes on/off easily and does a great job with protection. Thanks Hori.

Amiibo Lucina ( Super Smash Brothers Series )
Amiibo Lucina ( Super Smash Brothers Series )
Offered by Magic Pocket Jp
Price: $29.30
189 used & new from $4.43

1.0 out of 5 stars Scalpers suck!!, May 29, 2015
Even after reloading the page over and over at the prescribed time, I NEVER saw this amiibo in stock. Scalpers have ruined Amiibo for everyone. Just live without it unless/until Nintendo makes more, people. Don't encourage the scalpers or they'll just keep doing it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 30, 2015 5:53 PM PDT

Prepworks from Progressive International CHFB-2 Chrome Wire Fuit Bowl
Prepworks from Progressive International CHFB-2 Chrome Wire Fuit Bowl
Price: $19.84
13 used & new from $14.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Form and function combined, August 31, 2014
This is one of those kitchen devices that my wife and I both like - her because it's minimalist and attractive, and me because it does a good job of holding fruit, especially bananas, which tend to crowd out the other fruit if you put it all in the same bowl.

I keep forgetting to move it when I turn the toaster oven on, which this sits on top of... at least it only singes the fruit on the bottom and not the bananas on top! Oops.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Your mileage may vary... be ready to return, August 31, 2014
Since owning this, I've lived in a suburb of Atlanta about 35 miles northeast of the city and a suburb of Boston 25 miles northwest.

In the Atlanta suburb, it worked great. I got every channel and they all came through crystal clear.
In the Boston suburb, it barely works at all. I get one channel and that's it, despite being closer to the city.

After moving it was too late to return it, so I gave it to someone else. Overall, a waste of money, but it would've been just fine if I hadn't had to move.

Belkin Charge and Sync Dock with Lightning Cable Connector, Silver
Belkin Charge and Sync Dock with Lightning Cable Connector, Silver
Price: $24.29
7 used & new from $13.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great for me, but check your case before buying, August 31, 2014
This case seems to be love-hate. Whether you love it or hate it depends on whether or not you use a case, and if you do, what case you have.

I have a Speck CandyShell Flip case (http://smile.amazon.com/Speck-Products-CandyShell-Dockable-iPhone/dp/B0093IHX64) which lets you flip the bottom of the case down. I got it for situations just like this, or really, for situations where I needed the 30 pin to lightning adapter, because most cases won't accommodate it.

With my case, all I have to do is flip it down and it fits in the dock perfectly. It charges and syncs and is nice to look at. Can't beat that!

L.A. Noire: The Complete Edition  [Download]
L.A. Noire: The Complete Edition [Download]
Price: $29.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't despair - you can fix this!, August 31, 2014
There are problems getting this game to run (and then, to get it to run without lag) on PC with Windows 8.1, but they're fixable!

Granted, of all the PC games I've had in the last few years, this was the most problematic to get working by far.

To get the game to run at all, I had to do this:
- Tried running as normal, I hit the Launch button in the launcher, nothing happened and the launcher closed.
- From this Rockstar support page "Nothing happening after pressing Launch in L.A. Noire" (https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/articles/200149556--NET-C-DirectX-Nothing-happening-after-pressing-Launch-in-L-A-Noire-), it says "We have received some reports that L.A. Noire may not launch on certain computers when there are spaces in the installation path in between the words. If you have tried all of the troubleshooting and still nothing happens when you try to launch the game, try reinstalling the game to a file path without spaces anywhere."
- I uninstalled and reinstalled to D:\LANoire.
- This time, the Launch button started the game! But then it crashed immediately afterward. Apparently this is due to incompatibility with Windows 8. You may not have to do this if you don't have Win8.
- Another Rockstar support page, "L.A. Noire Patch Notes and Manual Links to Updates" (https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/articles/200149926--11-14-12-L-A-Noire-Patch-Notes-and-Manual-Links-to-Updates) had a link to a patch that can be manually applied. The patch updated the game to version 1.3.
- After patching, the game launches without crashing! Hooray!

Or maybe not. Sure the game runs now, but it lags and the framerate is crap, even on the lowest graphical settings, and I have a pretty beefy system compared to the system requirements (i5-4670k, GTX 760, 16GB RAM).

Here's how to fix that (from http://steamcommunity.com/app/110800/discussions/0/864973123974294087/):
- In the Launcher, click Options, then click in the Command Line box.
- Paste this without quotes: "-npd -str -nonv"
- Click OK, then launch. The game should run great, even on the highest settings if your computer supports them!

This is what the command line does:
-npd Disable the DirectX Pure device
-str Run the game in single-threaded DirectX rendering mode
-nonv Don't intialise the nVidia API

How all that fixes it, I have no idea. I'd think disabling features would make the game run worse, not better, but that wasn't the case for me.

I still have to dock the game two stars for being a pain in the @$$ to get working. I'll update this review later with my thoughts on the game itself :)

Canon PG-210 XL CL-211 XL and 4-Inches x 6-Inches - 50 Sheets
Canon PG-210 XL CL-211 XL and 4-Inches x 6-Inches - 50 Sheets
Price: $39.95
89 used & new from $39.88

3.0 out of 5 stars Sigh, August 27, 2014
Works great, but it may as well be liquid gold for as much as you're paying for it. Thank goodness this qualifies as a home office expense for me.

Candy-colored Green Geneva Silicone Colorful couple of style quartz watches
Candy-colored Green Geneva Silicone Colorful couple of style quartz watches
Offered by Hot Watches & Clothes
Price: $4.34
7 used & new from $3.37

1.0 out of 5 stars Garbage, August 27, 2014
Arrived with a battery so weak that it lost 15 minutes per day. Seller recommended replacing the battery, but that would cost as much as the watch. You get what you pay for, though in this case Amazon refunded it. Thanks Amazon.

Pilotwings Resort - Nintendo 3DS
Pilotwings Resort - Nintendo 3DS
Offered by Shopville USA
Price: $17.77
101 used & new from $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a few bucks if you find it in the bargain bin, July 28, 2014
Boy, Nintendo really does like re-using Wuhu Island, huh?

It's been in Wii Fit, Sports Resort, Mario Kart, and now this. And it's no different, so flying around is going to be just like it was in those games. Still, even with a re-used setting, there are some fun challenges that will give you 5-15 hours of gameplay depending on whether or not you're a completionist. You might want to turn the 3D slider down a bit while you're playing though, I found myself cross-eyed quite a bit.

Asus VG VG23AH 23-Inch Screen LED-lit 3D Monitor
Asus VG VG23AH 23-Inch Screen LED-lit 3D Monitor

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget the 3D and it's great, July 28, 2014
This is a fantastic monitor... if you completely ignore the 3D function, that is. The 3D is terrible. Put the glasses in a drawer and forget about them. Seriously.

Some people see horizontal lines when looking at the monitor, and when I first look at it I see them too. But I keep looking for a few seconds and they're gone. It's really not a problem at all.

The speakers are just okay. Obviously you need better speakers if you care at all about your audio, but if you have no other speakers, they get the job done. Strangely, with my MacBook I can't adjust the volume in the OS, just within programs and on the monitor itself. My desktop PC is able to adjust the volume though. Strange, but not a big deal.

Overall, it's a great IPS monitor at a good price. I'm okay with this.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6