Profile for P. M. Bego > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 17

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

P. M. Bego RSS Feed (Northwest USA)

Page: 1 | 2
dreamGEAR Xbox One USB Hub
dreamGEAR Xbox One USB Hub
Offered by jacko0121
Price: $13.90
76 used & new from $7.68

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a good little unit and does exactly what it says, October 26, 2014
This is a good little unit and does exactly what it says. You connect it to the USB port on an XBox One (either the side or back port) and this thing gives you 4 ports to use for connecting controllers or other accessories, or providing limited charge power to any USB device. I saw "limited charge power" because this does not come with an external power supply, so if you plug in 4 things at once that all need power, it's possible that it won't be able to provide that. That is true of any USB Hub -- I haven't actually run into that problem in my use of this one. You can add an external power supply, though ones does not come with it. If you have older USB hubs, it's possible the old power supply would work, but you have to make sure the connector matches.

When I bought it (at a local retail store), I was a bit misled, and thought it actually plugged directly into the left-side USB port of an XBox one (so I thought it would extend out the left side by about an inch or so, with no cable needed, and somehow fit mechanically onto the cabinet of the XBox One. That is not the case. It does use a cable and doesn't mechanically attach to the XBox One console. It's basically a generic hub with about a 1/2 meter (18-24") cable. So it just hangs off the side or back of your XBox One. That's fine, I won't subtract a star since I didn't understand the description on the box. I notice the Amazon description says "connects directly.. with cable" so maybe they clarified it in the item description.

Yes, it does work on PS4 and presumably PC (I haven't tried PC, but an XBox One is basically a PC with limited Microsoft software). It's a general-purpose USB 3.0 Hub. At the full retail price I would say it is overpriced since it does not include the external PS (though most people probably won't need that.) Lately it seems to be at a much lower price of $8-10 and it's a reasonable deal at that price.

San Diego Whole Bean Roasted Coffee, Papua New Guinea Organic, 16 Ounce
San Diego Whole Bean Roasted Coffee, Papua New Guinea Organic, 16 Ounce

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad and old, and Kenya beans are the same as New Guinea?, September 13, 2014
These seem VERY old and weak, and somewhat foul. Not at all a "fresh coffee bean" aroma, rather, an unpleasant stale smell I still can't get out of my head. Ugh. And I love the smell of good coffee beans -- which these are NOT. This company seems to have many different products for sale on Amazon. Their website lists Amazon as the only way to buy them at retail. What is really odd is that there is no date (and also no manufacturer location or address) on the bag, or on the outer cardboard box (each 1 lb bag comes in a corrugated cardboard box, for some reason).

I suspect this may be VERY OLD stock of beans. There is no way to tell since there is no date. What is the most disturbing is that I bought 2 different kinds Kenya and Papua New Guinea. BOTH look and smell exactly the same! No difference at all in color (weak dull brown), smell (horrible), size of beans. I really question whether these are at all from the places they say, or if it is "bulk bad coffee" that is being liquidated (pardon the pun) through Amazon. The only difference is a small sticker placed on the front. of the bag. These are not quality beans now, if they ever were, it was a few years ago. But given that 2 different varieties seem to be the same beans, as far as I can tell, I really question the origin of this coffee and the business practices of "San Diego Coffee."

Note: I am going to post this review in two places, for the two different varieties I bought (which I think are really the same bad old beans in the bags)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 26, 2014 10:35 AM PDT

San Diego Coffee Whole Bean Roasted Coffee, Kenya, 16 Ounce
San Diego Coffee Whole Bean Roasted Coffee, Kenya, 16 Ounce

2.0 out of 5 stars Seems weak and old. Not at all a "fresh coffee bean" aroma., September 13, 2014

[Update] I updated the review to 2 stars (from 1), because I believe that 1-star is really extreme and I usually don't like other reviews that give one star just because someone was disappointed or upset about something, and that's what I was when I gave the 1-star original review. Yes, these beans did not at all live up to my expectations; however, when finely ground and used in an espresso machine, they made a drinkable beverage that was not actually "foul" (so I think that word was a bit extreme). I still have concerns about the origin and freshness of this coffee, and would continue to NOT recommend this supplier as I still think the whole SDCC thing is somewhat suspicious. (no dates on packages, web searches imply they were a local B&M coffee seller until around 2010 and now we only see it as "wholesale coffee for sale exclusively on Amazon). It seems the original company may have gone out of business but I haven't confirmed that. If someone told me these beans were from 2010, I would not be at all surprised.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 4, 2014 4:38 PM PDT

Goal Zero 32001 Lighthouse 250 Portable Battery Charger USB Power Hub and Lantern
Price: Click here to see our price
18 used & new from $58.12

4.0 out of 5 stars Very bright and lightweight lamp with Li-Ion based power and USB charge capabilties, July 1, 2014
I have to start by saying I like Goal Zero products; they tend to have excellent designs which are practical and reliable. Sometimes they are criticized for being overpriced, but are the "comparable" products really equal? Maybe you can think of GoalZero as the "Apple" of portable solar energy devices.

This is a combination of Li-Ion portable battery pack and bright LED lantern. It seems to work very well for both of those things. It is very lightweight for is size. The light is extremely bright (rated at 250 lumens they say) and it has the very nice benefit of being able to use either one side (like if you hang it up on a wall of a tent and just want to light up one side) or all-around where you light from both sides. There is a variable control that turns two ways: turn it to the left and one-side only lights-up and gets brighter as you turn it; to the right, you get both sides. Note that it's no continuously-variable but rather it goes in steps.

The other main feature is that you have a USB power out port which is intended for charging things like your cell phone or GPS. This is the same battery that powers the lantern, of course. You have to be realistic and realize that this thing is lightweight and it's not going to fully charge a big tablet. Power just can't come from nothing (as much as we wish it would...) So it's intended for small electronic devices that charge from USB.

The langern charges from a USB cord that is permanently attached to the unit and stores wrapped around it (yay, no cord to lose). You can charge it by plugging into a USB port on a laptop, desktop, TV, etc, or from a wall charger (like you might use for your tablet), a car charger (like for your GPS), or, best of all, a solar panel (and of course that is why this is part of the GoalZero line -- you have a panel, you can charge this up during the day, this stores the power, and then you get both light and a cell phone or GPS recharge at night.)

The only negatives: (1) as stated, it's a tiny battery. It has to be to fit into this unit in terms of weight and also cost. It's not going to be able charge a laptop or tablet. Note that GoalZero did have a BIG lantern that had a Sealed Lead-Acid battery in it. I'm sure that thing could store a lot. It also weighed a lot -- several pounds. So just remember you have to match the tool for the job. Note that GoalZero also does have a portable Li-Ion unit that can give a charge to a laptop and uses a bigger solar panel. It's not cheap, but it's nice.

and (2) the lantern has "emergency lights" which I think are a disappointment. You push the little "red triangle" button (looks like the emergency flasher icon in a car), and little red lights circle around the top of the lantern. Great idea, but I mean "little." They look more like moving lights from a kids toy. They do NOT look like something that would alert oncoming drivers if you placed it by the side of the road. I know that with today's technology they can make BRIGHT red LED FLASHERs like used on bikes. Those bike lights use very short, extremely bright flashes which really get your attention. (I've noticed bikes in the distance in daylight before I would normally notice them) The little red lights are NOTHING like that! I think at night in a campground, kids could look at the moving lights and think they were fun. They are not going to get you help when needed, or alert oncoming drivers if you're using this by the side of the road. And for THAT reason, 4 instead of 5 stars. (in my opinion it would have been better to just leave the feature out, unless they were going to make a better attempt at it and use technology that has been used in bike rear flashers for many years now.)

Overall still a great and handy product but don't count on alerting anybody to emergencies with the "kids toy" red flashers.

Cole and Mason H478581 Windsor Black Gloss Salt and Pepper Mill Gift Set
Cole and Mason H478581 Windsor Black Gloss Salt and Pepper Mill Gift Set
Price: $34.28
2 used & new from $32.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality product; but a minor packaging and also an "honesty" issue, September 14, 2013
I bought this set on a Lightning Deal and I would say the grinders appear to be well-made and work fine. I have every reason to believe they will be reliable and long-lasting.

That said, I had two issues with the packaging.
(1) Internal to the black box (which I call the "gift box"), the two grinders are nested into a thin molded plastic shell, "flocked" with a felt-like material. In my case, the plastic shell was mostly broken (outer box looked fine) so the grinders were just sitting there strapped to individual fragments of the plastic. (my backing was a light-grey instead of the golden-yellow shown in the Amazon photo.) The grinders themselves were not damaged. However, if I were giving this as a gift, it would seem bad that the package was like this -- though there is no way to tell until you open the gift box.

(2) Another reader asked a question on many of our minds: it says "Designed in England," but where are these manufactured? I posted this as a reply to that question, but I think it's worth mentioning as part of my review:

The mills are manufactured in China. The pepper and salt come from other places indicated by a sticker on the back label of the black "gift" box. In my case, the pepper was from Singapore and the salt from Belgium. It seems they go through a lot of steps to hide the fact that the mills are made in China. Nowhere on the pretty black box does it say made in China. It only says that on the outer corrugated cardboard which would normally be discarded before selling the item in a store or giving as gift. (But when you buy it from Amazon you get this as the outer protective packaging, which is good.) On the small info tags that are hung on each grinder, it does say "Mill: Made in China" in VERY small print on the back. I had to use a magnifying glass to be able to read this. On the Grinders themselves, the only visible printing is "Cole & Mason England" stamped on the bottom metal part of the grinder itself (which, as stated, is really made in China.)

Still I would say it's a good-quality product but they do seem to be taking steps to hide their Chinese origin. (which I think reflects poorly on the company -- not as much because they offshored the jobs, but rather that they seem to be deliberately trying to conceal it.)

I understand that if these retail for $40-50 a pair, I probably can't expect them to be meticulously hand-made by English craftsman on large country estates.

So overall score of 4 from minus 1/2 point each for broken plastic internal packaging, and for trying to conceal the fact that they are made in China.

Dockers Men's Leather Wardrobe Belt Set, Black/Brown, Large 38-40
Dockers Men's Leather Wardrobe Belt Set, Black/Brown, Large 38-40

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality belts, March 1, 2013
Got these on a daily deal and am very satisfied with them. The seem to be well-made and don't seem "cheap" at all. They come in a nice box so the item would be suitable for wrapping as a gift. I will mention that they are made in China, but that is what I expected, as is true of most clothing accessories these days, so not taking off any points, just noting it in case you try to avoid that. (I do try to avoid buying products from China when possible, but I'd say it would be pretty hard to find a leather belt NOT made in China.)

Regarding the sizing, I believe the page now describes it correctly (apparently some reviews are from an earlier description that might have been misleading.) I normally wear size 36-38, and I ordered the "Large 38-40" which seems just right. So you definitely want to go "one size up" from your regular garment size.

Sperry Instruments CS61200 Circuit Tracker Circuit Breaker Finder
Sperry Instruments CS61200 Circuit Tracker Circuit Breaker Finder
Price: $45.27
4 used & new from $40.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good design. But I needed to learn some tricks to use it effectively., March 28, 2012
[See update at bottom; I learned a bit more after I wrote the first part of the review, with improved results]

First let me say that I've used one of the older circuit finders that I got about 15 years ago. This was the kind with a sensitivity knob that you can adjust.

I decided to buy a new one because I liked a lot of what I saw in this design. (and also because I couldn't find my old one...) This model has a lot of things going for it:
* Nice design that allows both pieces to be plugged together so it's easy to carry in a pouch or toolbox.
* Magnetic mounts on the main unit allow it to snap right onto the breaker panel
* Sender unit does double-duty as a circuit tester to confirm good ground/neutral/hot wiring, plus, a GFCI test button. This in itself is a great thing everybody should have -- you'd probably pay about $10 for something like separately. Since you'd normally have this in your electrical tool kit anyway, it seemed like a great idea to combine this function into the sender unit.

All this is great, but.. as a circuit finder I couldn't make this work well. The problem was also noted by another reviewer: the detector is TOO SENSITIVE and doesn't have any way to adjust this. It has a bar graph indicator and beeper, which would be great to help you localize the target breaker. The problem is that this system gives me a maxed-out reading over almost all my breakers!

I understand that these things are hard to use and it takes some fiddling to get used to it (see other Amazon reviews for every other breaker finder for clear evidence of this.)

My old one with the manual adjustment was difficult to figure out -- at first, you're just glad to find the signal. Then as you try to localize the breaker, you gradually turn down the knob to reduce the sensitivity. Eventually you get it to the point where you are in the right sensitivity to focus on exactly the right breaker. Yes, it does help if you can remove the metal panel over the breakers -- this isn't always essential but it does help.

The problem with this model is that the bar graph indicator just zips right up to the max reading when I am within about 6" of the circuit in question. Since you don't have any way to turn down the sensitivity, all you can do is hold the "wand" further away, but that defeats the purpose of being able to focus in on the target you are trying to find. In my opinion this makes this very nice-looking tool pretty-much useless, except for the nice sender unit which doubles as a circuit tester.

I would say I understand the limits of how these work and the ONLY way to really be sure you find the right circuit is to turn off the breaker, and if you get the right one, the signal will stop (because you've cut off the power to the sender). That is the way these work. The best you can hope is that you get "close" to the breaker in question. It still might take a few tries. I could do that with my old model by tweaking the sensitivity. But with this model it seems I'm going to have to turn off every breaker until I find it -- which kind-of defeats the whole elegant purpose of this model to begin with.

This is the first day I got it and I was so excited to try it, but unfortunately I'm at a loss unless I can figure out that I'm doing something wrong. I will give it some more tries over the next few days and update the review if I learn anything new.

[UPDATE 2 days later] I have revised my rating from a "2" to a "4." I tried it again and learned a few more things about it. It seems that with some learning and effort, this is a pretty good tool. (As I noted in my comments above, ALL breaker finders are difficult to learn to use correctly -- this one just works a bit differently and so there are new "tricks" to using this particular model).

Here is what I learned: As you get a strong signal, the bar graph goes up and the tone (kind of a noisy high-pitched tone) gets louder. The key info is that the sender sends a tone, but it has a "beep beep beep" sound mixed in with the other noise.

Most of all, I found that there were other things in my house that were sending it a signal that got it confused. I found that over several different parts of my breaker panel, I got a the noise tone and the bar graph went up. However, in ONE of those locations, I could hear a faint "beep beep beep" sound mixed in with the other noise. In the other parts that gave me a signal, I did not hear the "repeating beep." So the key to using this is to listen carefully for the repeating beep sound. And of course, when you isolate the breaker you think it is, turn it off, and that tone should stop. That means you found the right breaker. In my case, other things in my house (I don't know what, but like many houses, I have many little electronic devices) sent it a signal that also gave it a "false reasding." The key is that those tones didn't have the "beep beep beep" component. [Space history fans might think of this kind-of like listening for Sputnik]

I would say if you are using this in new construction (i.e. after wiring a new house that is still vacant), this unit would probably work much better because there be no other electrical devices to give it false signals.

You also have to be very careful about how you orient the wand and move it over the breakers, and what part of the breaker you move it over. (i.e. the center by the lever, or to the left, or to the right, etc.) Of course there are many kinds of breakers so this will vary based on your equipment, and you have to experiment to find what works best. I would note that I have an older style of breaker (often called "Zinsco") that are very close together (each lever is about 1/4" -- that's pretty small.) Many newer panels use breakers with larger spacing and that might make it easier for some people.

Anyway now that I've figured out these three rules, I'm much happier with the unit, and have moved the rating to a "4"
* The sender tone has a "beep beep beep" element, though it can be hard to distinguish from the background noise.
* Other things in your house might give it a false reading, but if you listen carefully, the false tones will NOT have the "beep" component.
* It's very important how you hold the sensor wand, and you have to experiment with this based on your type of breaker.
(This last rule is well-documented in the instructions, but the first two items I had to learn the "hard way.")

Battlefield 3
Battlefield 3
Offered by Digitalville
Price: $14.07
59 used & new from $6.75

1.0 out of 5 stars Bought game. Concerned about Origin software. Read more info. Returned game for REFUND., October 29, 2011
This review is from: Battlefield 3 (Video Game)
This is my 1-star review based on extensive research that has been done by the Battlefield user community, in the US, but primarily in Germany (thanks, guys.)

Yes, I am a customer and buyer of this game. I also buy lots of games, and I am usually pretty forgiving of "launch mistakes." But this game is clearly different. For me, this user experience is worth a 1-star rating, without me even having to install it. I was concerned about the Origin software even before the "launch", when I could have cancelled my pre-order. But I was hoping these issues would be resolved by launch time. Instead, the first few days of activity were full of people reporting both bad performance and inaccessible servers, but also, very clear evidence of Origin scanning all folders on each user's computer, proven by various logging methods.

So, as of now, I am no longer a buyer of this game. I am returning it, unopened, to Amazon, using the reason "product is not as described." Nowhere in the product description did it say that the required Origin software would scan your computer and send any data it found back to EA. This product is apparently not usable (even in the offline single-player campaign) without the continuous online connection to EA/Origin.

To me, this makes this a defective product and that is why I am returning it for refund.

Inglourious Basterds (Blu-ray + Digital Copy)
Inglourious Basterds (Blu-ray + Digital Copy)
DVD ~ Brad Pitt
Offered by TRADE MANAGEMENT LLC
Price: $12.00
113 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Blu-ray quality nice, but "Special Edition" not so special..., January 21, 2010
This is just a review of the Blu-Ray "2 Disc Special Edition" since there are plenty of reviews of the movie itself by reviewers far more qualified than I.

The video and sound quality is excellent and I have no complaints about that. But I have to give this 4 stars instead of 5, because, I just don't get some of the "marketing lingo" on this package:

* This version does NOT include a running commentary. None at all (not director, not actors, not cinematographer, nothing). To me this is really odd -- it seems that almost all DVDs released in the last 10 years have had some sort of commentary track. Especially with a Tarantino movie, this seems like something you really WANT to have.
* I think this is the only Blu-ray version available right now. It includes the "digital copy" but that is just a lower-res copy of a movie with DRM, nothing wrong with getting that with it, but that is one of the TWO discs in the "Special Edition"
* If this is the only one available, and it doesn't include stuff like a commentary, what makes the Marketing people put the "Special Edition" tag on it? I guess because it comes with the low-res copy, see previous item...
* Other info on the package is misleading too. It says under "Additional Features:" "The original Inglorious Bastards." This might lead one to conclude that it includes the original movie (and there would be plenty of room for an SD copy of a movie on a Blu-ray disk. This feature is just a 10-minute summary of the movie and discusses it's relation to the new movie. A nice feature worth watching, but I think the way it is named as a feature is misleading.
* Minor thing: They put a sticker about "Includes Digital Copy" on the metallic-printed cardboard sleeve. When you take off the sticker, it removes part of the metallic printing. I know these sleeves are only meant to make the product look nice and flashy and get your attention when it's on a store shelf. But for those of us that like to keep these, it was annoying the way it was stickered. If they put the sticker on the outer plastic shrink-wrap this wouldn't be a problem.

Still a great movie and I'm glad I got the disc. Giving it 4 of 5 because of the questionable "Special-ness" of the Edition.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 16, 2013 11:50 PM PDT

Leatherman Fuse Multitool and Monarch 200 Multitool/Flashlight Combo Set
Leatherman Fuse Multitool and Monarch 200 Multitool/Flashlight Combo Set

3.0 out of 5 stars Note description may be wrong: Is it model 200 or 300 LED flashlight?, December 13, 2009
I haven't bought this combo yet but wanted to point out that the description is not correct. The title says "Monarch 200" light, but in the first part of the text of the description, it describes the "Monarch 300" light.

There is a difference because the "300" model uses an AAA battery (easy and cheap to replace, or can use rechargeables), and the "200" uses "button cells" which are expensive and don't supply as much power. I was about to go for it based on the description, but then I realized that the item title (and photo) seem to show the 200.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 1, 2010 5:02 AM PDT