Profile for Bradley Bevers > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 782

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Bradley Bevers "Author of Texas Farm & Ranch Guide" RSS Feed (Brenham, TX)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Games You Can't Lose: A Guide for Suckers
Games You Can't Lose: A Guide for Suckers
by Harry Anderson
38 used & new from $2.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Eh, April 17, 2015
Not great . . . but ok. For what it is, its well written, but its too broad and shallow to appeal to most. The most interesting tidbits are on the con games you can do yourself. The casino advice is useless - would have been nice to recommend a few specifically for blackjack and craps. I like Harry Anderson, but this book is not one that I would recommend.

If you are looking for a similar type of book, check out Lovell's How To Cheat At Everything. Much larger and more comprehensive, get a little of everything still.

Cosco Apt 50, Vibrant Blue
Cosco Apt 50, Vibrant Blue
Price: $64.98
3 used & new from $64.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, April 16, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Fits truck well, comfortable, safe, and a great price - has everything you should be looking for in a car seat. Recommended.

The Fold: A Novel
The Fold: A Novel
by Peter Clines
Price: $18.63

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Mystery, OK Sci-Fi, April 16, 2015
This review is from: The Fold: A Novel (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a hard book for me to review, because I really enjoyed most of it. The first half, the mystery half, is very well written and makes sense all the way up until the mystery of the door is solved. I thought that it was very well done for a mystery - enough clues where you could have solved it on your own, but nothing cheap or obvious either.

Then the book kept going and got a little weird. Not that I mind weird, but it just didn't seem to fit well. As the sci-fi gets more complicated, the solutions do as well. There are a few minor plot holes, but one big solution that seemed to be staring the characters in the face that they never tried. Without giving too much away, the 'power' for the door was discovered, but never removed, or even lessened - thus, the door grows quickly.

I wish this had been more what I was looking for, but the last 150 pages or so just weren't as good as the first part of the book. I don't want to give away too much of the book, but I would say that if you are a big science fiction fan, and if you really liked Clines 14 (which I did, great audiobook), then give this one a try. Otherwise, skip it.

DII 100% Cotton, Machine Washable, Perfect Shower, Baby or Birthday Gift for Toddler 32x32" Hooded Towel for Infant to Toddler - Monster
Price: $18.99
2 used & new from $18.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made product, good price, April 12, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Great towel, very good quality, but boys really like it. I wish it was a little larger so they could use it longer, but other than that its great. So far its being used only as a blanket and costume, but I'm sure the towel part will come . . .

Tomorrowland: Our Journey from Science Fiction to Science Fact
Tomorrowland: Our Journey from Science Fiction to Science Fact
by Steven Kotler
Price: $11.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Some Great Stuff, But Largely Uneven & Not Well Named, April 6, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a hard book to review. If it were not for a couple of really good essays, this probably would be a two star review instead of a four. There were some interesting anecdotes, but overall the book is uneven and the connection between the chapters does not hold up well in my opinion. There were a few 'science fiction' stories that were connected with the essays, but for the most part we are left to draw our own parallels.

I would have really liked more connection between fiction and fact, and maybe even some background and stories about some of the writers that were the most forward thinking. If this is what you are looking for, this is not the book for you. Instead, its a book of essays describing new technologies that are cutting edge or just beyond what is thought possible. More of a series of interesting magazine articles then essays connected to a literary predecessor.

What I Didn't Like:

* Uneven stories. There were a few really, really good one. Most were ok. Some are boring and easy to skip without missing anything.
* Some of the more skippable: flying car, bionic man, mind uploading, biology of spirituality, space diving, and the god of sperm
* As mentioned above, would have been great to have more connection between fiction and fact given the title of the book
* Overall, the book was very fair and non-political, save for the chapter on stem cells. I went into it reading with an open mind, but I'm not sure the author wrote it. Maybe this was first published in a partisan magazine or something, but seemed to be very one sided and political. Could have been among my favorites if that was missing, distracted from an interesting read.

What I Loved:

* The artificial vision implant story was very good. The author was 'a part' of that story in a unique way, and I thought the writing here was among the best of the bunch.
* The psychedelic renaissance was an interesting read, one of the longer essays but was never boring. Interesting science behind it.
* Anti-aging chapter about steroids. Very interesting stuff

If you are looking for a few interesting stories about cutting edge technology, check this book out. Recommended.

So You've Been Publicly Shamed
So You've Been Publicly Shamed
by Jon Ronson
Price: $17.04
87 used & new from $11.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Frightening, Great Read - This Book Will Change You, April 1, 2015
Jon Ronson really knows how to write. I read a lot of books, and his are some of the most readable, enthralling books that I have come across. His newest effort is no different, though it is more chilling then his other work.

I read this in less than 24 hours, really couldn't put it down. It's a book about shame, and how public shaming is being revived in our social media culture. Here is some of what I liked:

* Jonah Lehrer. As a vine reviewer, I received an early copy of Imagine and left a review on Amazon. Still the second highest 'positive' review, used to be the highest. After it fell apart for him, I thought about taking it down or changing it, but haven't done anything with it. Lehrer does not come across as sympathetic in this book, but isn't much of a villain either. I do feel sorry for him, and he wrote a remarkably good book that will be dismissed because of the method he used to embellish quotes and deceive the public. I think this is a complicated issue, and Ronson exposes it rather than resolving it. Worth the read by itself.

* At one point, Ronson points out how our culture has chosen reasons to shame differently then our ancestors. Really interesting look at what the masses take as important.

* Great thoughts and insight into the famous college student / prisoner / guard social experiment.

* This book is frightening, in just the right way. You won't be able to put it down, and it will likely change you in more ways then one.

For me, I am even more convinced after reading this book that social media is a two-edged sword and using it wrongly ruins lives forever. I am also somewhat 'ashamed' of prurient curiosity that I have had with some of the victims of this book. I haven't joined in the shaming via social media, but I have also dispassionately observed it and not really thought about the consequences. This book will help point out that bad jokes, stupid pictures, and minor academic deceptions are not worth ruining people's lives forever. In some ways, there is no second chance anymore so how you respond the first time is all that matters. Highly recommended.

You Can Adopt Without Debt: Creative Ways to Cover the Cost of Adoption
You Can Adopt Without Debt: Creative Ways to Cover the Cost of Adoption
by Julie Gumm
Price: $13.01
40 used & new from $8.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book on adoption & money, March 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Great book with great advice throughout. One of the reasons I hear consistently, from people in my own church and friends, is that they would adopt if money weren't an issue. This book is full of advice on getting around that and is a valuable read for families and pastors alike.

The entire, brutally honest, section on fundraisers is worth the price of the book alone. I love how one of the pro's of fundraising is allowing others to be faithful . . . letting others contribute to the adoption process through funds, even if they can't adopt at that moment, takes humility but is an important part of the process.

My family has not adopted yet, but we have many adoptees throughout our larger family and it is something we will do sooner than later, and this is the book that we will open and use first.

BLU Studio 6.0 HD Smartphone - Unlocked - Black
BLU Studio 6.0 HD Smartphone - Unlocked - Black
Price: $141.38
16 used & new from $112.48

4.0 out of 5 stars Great price, good phone, March 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a good deal for the price, and works very well. Its a large screen, well made, responsive, and looks great. For us, its a back up phone / game portal for the kids, and its perfect for that and can do a lot more. If you are looking for an affordable smart phone, get this.

Skip Hop Zoo Tablet Cover, Monkey
Skip Hop Zoo Tablet Cover, Monkey
Price: $19.99
2 used & new from $19.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced, March 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This does what it says it will, but price is too high for a cover that does not really protect anything. My kids like the iPad enough where I don't need to dress it up to make it more attractive. If you are looking for a cover that your kids will like but that doesn't protect much, this is an option - otherwise skip it.

Lifeproof Nuud Case for iPad mini 3 - Black
Lifeproof Nuud Case for iPad mini 3 - Black
Price: $107.99
3 used & new from $64.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Better option than insurance, March 20, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This case is great - makes it almost indestructible, water-resistant, etc. If you own an iPad mini, get this and protect your investment - much cheaper than insurance and it will handle almost anything.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20