Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS
Profile for James Watrous > Reviews

Browse

James Watrous' Profile

Customer Reviews: 74

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

James Watrous RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
The Resurrection of Jesus Christ
The Resurrection of Jesus Christ
by Gerald O'Collins
21 used & new from $3.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Early work on the Resurrection of Jesus by the great Jesuit theologian Gerald O'Collins., April 19, 2016
An early book on the Resurrection of Jesus by the great Jesuit theologian Gerald O'Collins. He has written several books on the topic, but this is his first. It was written in 1973. Resurrection studies have advanced since then with more of Collins work as well as N.T. Wright, Gary Habermas, and Richard Swinburne, just to name a few scholars. It is worthwhile reading it to see what concerns about the doctrine of the Resurrection of Jesus in the early 1970's. If you read this I would recommend you also read his latest book on the subject BELIEVING IN THE RESURRECTION.

Maranatha; reflections on the mystical theology of John the Evangelist, (Paulist Press/Deus books)
by William J. Fulco
21 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a nice little book by Fr, April 19, 2016
This is a nice little book by Fr. William Fulco, SJ. Fr. Fulco might be most famous for being the main theological consultant on Mel Gibson's THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST. He also translated the script into Aramaic and Latin. This book, which he wrote over 40 years ago, are nice reflections on mystical aspects of the Johannine literature of the New Testament.

Shining Glory: Theological Reflections on Terrence Malicks Tree of Life
Shining Glory: Theological Reflections on Terrence Malicks Tree of Life
by Peter J. Leithart
Price: $14.00
32 used & new from $10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book about a great film., April 13, 2016
If you are a fan of Terrence Malick's THE TREE OF LIFE, then you are probably going to like this book. I sure did. Peter Leithart writes about the various theological and Biblical themes in Malick's unique masterpiece. But you haven't seen the film see it first before you read this. It's an absolutely fascinating read about a fascinating film.

Isaac Hecker: An American Catholic
Isaac Hecker: An American Catholic
by David J. O'Brien
Price: $22.40
66 used & new from $0.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent biography, March 15, 2016
I read this book some years ago when I was studying theology. I probably should read it again. From what I remember it was an excellent biography of Fr. Isaac Hecker, the founder of the order of Paulist Priests. Hecker was born in the early 1800's a nominal Protestant. He had a religious experience involving an angel and became interested in spirituality, particularly the transcendental movement of 19th Century. That did not fulfill him and he became interested in Christianity and eventually became a Catholic. Then he became a Redemptorist priest. After some time he felt called to create his own order, which would involve evangelizing non-Catholics. His patron saint was St. Paul. His order is still around today. Incidentally the book was published by Paulist Press.

The Protestant Faith
The Protestant Faith
by George Wolfgang Forell
Price: $5.42
52 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to Protestantism, March 2, 2016
This review is from: The Protestant Faith (Paperback)
I read this book some years ago. I am Catholic but I have many relatives that are Protestant. I read it because Huston Smith in his book THE WORLD'S RELIGIONS, recommended it at the end of the chapter on Christianity. It's a good introduction and was very informative. I probably should re-read it someday.

The Railway Man: A POW's Searing Account of War, Brutality and Forgiveness (Movie Tie-in Editions)
by Eric Lomax
Price: $10.92
76 used & new from $0.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and moving., February 10, 2016
This a very powerful and moving memoir by the late Eric Lomax. I got interested in it by the preview for the film version, which I have yet to see. I can tell from the previews they took a few liberties with the story. The book itself is excellent. Lomax was a Scottish man born in 1919. When World War II broke out he joined the army and became lieutenant. He was shipped to Malaya where he was captured by the Japanese along with many other soldiers. He was forced to work on a railroad for the Japanese which is ironic he was a big fan of trains. When he and some other men were discovered to have a secret radio they built he was put in another prison camp where he was tortured. Amazingly enough he survived the war but he was emotional mess. He suffered from deep seated psychological problems. He hated Japanese and specifically the interpreter who was one of his torturers. Truth being stranger than fiction he was able to confront his past and meet with the man who tortured him. It's really good and I highly recommend it.

The Case for Jesus: The Biblical and Historical Evidence for Christ
The Case for Jesus: The Biblical and Historical Evidence for Christ
by Brant Pitre
Price: $15.81
52 used & new from $10.63

5.0 out of 5 stars I was surprisingly impressed., February 9, 2016
I was surprisingly impressed with this book. I have a master's degree in theology so I have read a lot of books about Jesus and the New Testament and I know a bit about the quest for the historical Jesus. On one extreme you've got people who think the New Testament, especially the Gospels, are mostly, if not totally, unreliable. On the other end you have people like Dr. Brant Pitre who believes the New Testament is very reliable. There are others who take a middle position. I think he makes arguments for the reliability of the New Testament, an earlier dating of the Gospels, the Gospels as ancient biographies, and eyewitness testimony. I am not sure that he is absolutely right in all of his argument and I won't know (at least until I meet God and can ask Him after I die). Pitre is following in the footsteps of John A.T. Robinson who argued more or less the same premise in his books REDATING THE NEW TESTAMENT in 1976 and CAN WE TRUST THE NEW TESTAMENT? in 1977. Though if I were to ever meet Dr. Pitre I would like to ask him about some of the inconsistencies within the Gospels and the New Testament that he either did not going into or only scratched the surface with in the book. Other than that I really enjoyed this book. I do like his critique of the telephone game (you will understand when you read the book).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 17, 2016 9:14 AM PST

Luther: Man Between God and the Devil
Luther: Man Between God and the Devil
by Heiko A. Oberman
53 used & new from $0.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book on the founder of the Reformation., January 30, 2016
I finally read this after having it for over a decade. I kept saying I will read this someday. I tried a couple of times and I couldn't get into it. The first chapter is a bit of a slog, but once I got beyond that it was really good. It's very scholarly but I liked it nevertheless. According to Dr. Oberman Martin Luther was very much a man of his time. He looked upon earthly as a battle for one's soul between God and the Devil. He very much took seriously the belief in Satan as well as God. According to him he was hoping the Catholic Church would want reform and would accept it, but that didn't happen he stood his ground causing the Reformation, which he didn't really want. He also believed he was living in the Last Days and the Second Coming of Christ was coming soon, if not in his lifetime, soon after. I personally have mixed feelings about Luther because I am Catholic, Yet, I think he was right about many of his criticisms of the Catholic Church in the 1500's. It is a very good biography by a very knowledgable scholar.

Hope & Glory: A Catholic Introduction to the Book of Revelation
Hope & Glory: A Catholic Introduction to the Book of Revelation
by Juan I. Alfaro
19 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction to Revleation, January 17, 2016
It's rather funny how I discovered this book. There is a great British film entitled HOPE AND GLORY, which was made in 1987 and was written and directed by John Boorman. It's about a boy (based on Boorman) growing up in London during the Blitz in WWII. I was checking if my local county library system carried it. It doesn't, but Fr. Juan Alfaro's book came up. It looked interesting, so I put it on hold. I just finished reading it last night.
It is a very good introduction to the Book of Revelation from a Catholic point of view. The book is divided into 63 questions which the author answers. He believes, as many scholars do, that most of the symbolism that John the Seer wrote about in Revelation dealt with events going on for first century Christians in the Roman Empire. He is quite critical of a fundamentalist reading of the book and so am I. If you are Catholic I recommend the book and if your not Catholic I still recommend the book.

Faitheist: How an Atheist Found Common Ground with the Religious
Faitheist: How an Atheist Found Common Ground with the Religious
by Chris Stedman
Price: $12.32
76 used & new from $6.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a good book., January 10, 2016
This is a good book. I find atheism interesting and at times a bit disturbing, especially with the rhetoric of the new atheists. (I am Catholic and have a master degree in theology.) Chris Stedman is the kind of atheist I like. He works with religious people to find common ground. His story is really interesting. He was a born again Evangelical Protestant Christian as a teenager. During this time he also realized he was gay, which caused a lot of pain and suffering when he tried to balance his beliefs with his sexual orientation. He became an embittered atheist for a while, but fortunately, he matured and became atheist who saw the humanity in religious believers. It's definitely worth a read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8