Profile for From_Plano_TX > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 129

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

From_Plano_TX "a_customer_from_plano" RSS Feed (Plano, TX USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
A Fighting Chance
A Fighting Chance
by Elizabeth Warren
Price: $27.81
34 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and Valuable., August 24, 2014
This review is from: A Fighting Chance (Audio CD)
I purchased the audio book version and enjoyed this very much. I highly recommend this audio book. It is a treat to hear the author speak. I first ran across Professor Warren while viewing data online about the decline of the middle class. She prepared a chart showing the decline of disposable income decade by decade. Then I read her book, "The Two-Income Trap: Why Middle-Class Parents are Going Broke," which is very intelligent and yet very accessible (to me, anyway). It was good of her to include her life's story. It is amazing to see someone from America's heartland, Oklahoma and Texas, end up as a U.S. Senator from Massachusetts. I find it sad that she had to become a Democrat to work for the American people. This shows a very serious failure on the part of the Republican party to represent the middle class. I think both parties have serious problems, but I am glad capable people like Professor Warren are willing to put up with the abuse it takes to enter into politics.

Kalevala: Dream of the Salmon Maiden
Kalevala: Dream of the Salmon Maiden
Price: $10.77
29 used & new from $0.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique and Wonderful, August 24, 2014
I stumbled across this music by accident. I am so glad I purchased this album. Now that you are reading this review, you have the good fortune to add this to your music collection. Do not hesitate, buy it now. Background: I was browsing for all things related to the Kalevala after a documentary on The Lord of the Rings mentioned the connection between the Kalevala and the Tolkien work. I bought this CD out of curiosity and I count myself lucky for the purchase. My favorite pieces are #3 "Aino's Complaint", #7 "Swimming on the Surface," #8 "Medley for Swedish Sakpipa", #9 "Flowed a Tear," and #14 "If I Knew." This is a song cycle, a collection of songs that tells a story. The music is beautiful, the singing skillful, and the result is haunting. Although I love folk music, I also enjoy Blues guitar, hard rock, Baroque & Classical music, and opera. This collection, "Kalevala: Dream of the Salmon Maiden", goes beyond being good music, it goes beyond being great, it is uniquely wonderful. It is a treasure that is on the short list of my very favorite recordings.

Match for the World Chess Championship Mikhail Botvinnik-David Bronstein Moscow 1951 (Progress in Chess)
by Mikhail Botvinnik
32 used & new from $14.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Book, August 9, 2014
I enjoy playing through the games and reading the commentary. Botvinnik and Bronstein are giants in the history of chess and this is an interesting match.

This book has a wonderful organization. It has a preface by Vladimir Kramnik, a note from the editor (Igor Botvinnik), and a 2 page assessment of the historical context of the match. After this you begin to see the mind of Mikhail Botvinnik at work. (When I refer to Botvinnik, I mean Mikhail.) There is a 2 page assessment of Bronstein by Botvinnik. Most of the 24 games are annotated by Botvinnik. Each game includes a note at the beginning that Botvinnik wrote for himself before the game, then concludes with a short note by Botvinnik about the game. A couple of games are annotated by Evgeny Sveshnikov. One game is annotated by Salo Flohr. One game is annotated by Pyotr Romanovsky. After the 24 games is an appendix item that has notes Botvinnik wrote in one of his notebooks. The notes are from a variety of other tournaments. They are interesting. Next is an appendix article of notes Botvinnik wrote in preparation for the tournament. Next is an appendix article that is Botvinnik's assessment of the match, organized by chess opening variation. Finally, there is an appendix article of notes by the translator. A lot of thought went into organizing this book. (There is also a match table.) Three cheers for the editor and publisher!

Hunting Season
Hunting Season
by Peter T. Deutermann
Price: $19.79
22 used & new from $14.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this one Twice, July 26, 2014
This review is from: Hunting Season (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book so much I read it twice. I have read very nearly every book Mr. Deutermann has written. This is my favorite. There are plenty of other reviews that discuss the plot and characters. What I liked about this book was that the main character is a dad who loves his daughter and is trying to rescue her. Middle-aged dad as avenger! Because I have a daughter, I connected with that. Most of Deutermann's books have some romance. I hate that and skip those pages. I enjoy action/adventure stories with an element of suspense. Deutermann does a fine job spinning engaging stories. This book has a female character named Janet Carter, an FBI agent. She is not a romantic interest. She is not a side-kick. She is a foil, a dramatic device used effectively. This book was hard to put down and was free of the annoying defect of romance. It has a very satisfying ending, which I will not give away.

A Call to Colors: A Novel of the Leyte Gulf
A Call to Colors: A Novel of the Leyte Gulf
by John J. Gobbell
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
36 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A Page Turner, July 13, 2014
I found this book hard to put down. I enjoyed the portrayal of life at sea. I did not know, e.g., about battle flags. When one destroyer went into action, the captain ordered the battle flag be flown. I had to look that up. Navy ships truly do have battle flags. For the U.S. Navy, the battle flag is a large U.S. flag. I will say that I got to the point that I skipped the pages dealing with romance. Like many writers, Mr. Gobbell put in a romantic sub-plot. I do not care for those, but they are easy enough to skip. I gave this 4 starts instead of 5 for 2 reasons. On page 285 he has this line, "... large waves rose and smashed against the rocks, vomiting their energy in great white sheets of spume." I the use of "vomiting" a speed bump in reading. I could not believe taht slipped through editing. Then there was an Epilog that has the last paragraph of the book there is dialog with "... and screw you too," in it. That course language in the concluding paragraph left a bad taste after an otherwise nice banquet of story telling. I is an enjoyable book. You might want to skip the Epilog.

Duty: Memoirs of a Secretary at War
Duty: Memoirs of a Secretary at War
by Robert Michael Gates
Price: $38.72
35 used & new from $30.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Audio Book, June 7, 2014
I purchased the audio CD version of this book. It came on 20 CDs. Each CD typically had 12 tracks, each usually 7 minutes long. In the beginning of the book you get to hear Robert Gates' voice as he introduces the book. The narrator does a fine job. After the book is over, there is an interview with Robert Gates and the book editor, so we get to hear his voice again.

We are still in Afghanistan at this time. It was fascinating to hear that Gates counseled against the raid that killed Bin Laden. Gates was afraid it would fail.

The book was informative in recounting recent history. It is amazing how you lose the big picture when the story is reported daily. We receive valuable insights on how Washington works. It is important we citizens know how our government works under crisis. I am very glad I listed to this book.

The Essential Shakespeare Live  Encore
The Essential Shakespeare Live Encore
by William Shakespeare
Price: $22.50
62 used & new from $8.71

3.0 out of 5 stars So so, June 1, 2014
I like Shapespeare and purchased this collection out of curiosity. There are 21 selections on 2 CDs. I did not find this captivating. The CDs come with a booklet listing the dialog on the CDs and the names of the actors for each selection. I did not recognize Judi Dench's voice in the Winters Tale. I'll listen to it again to see if I recognize her voice. I did not recognize Ben Kingsley's voice in A Mid Summer Nights Dream. I did not recognize Ian Richardson's voice in Love's Labor's Lost. All these are great actors whom I love, but I did not recognize their voices. I did recognize Patrick Stewart in Anthony and Cleopatra, Ian McKellen in King Lear, and David Tennat in Hamlet. I don't know if this says something about the quality of their voices or the quality of my ear.

Pulling a few minutes of dialog out of a play did not work for me, but it might work for you. I do enjoy listening to complete plays, but not short out-takes. Maybe if I sat down with the booklet and followed the dialog attentively it would work better for me, but life is too rushed and I cannot sit still. I have to listen as I drive to work. This more a limitation on our busy lives in America than the quality of this collection, but if you are stuck in the rat race like I am, then we must be aware of the limitations on our ability to digest beauty and art.

STAR Professional Metal Shoe Horn Heavy Duty Steel 7.5" (1)
STAR Professional Metal Shoe Horn Heavy Duty Steel 7.5" (1)
Offered by Perfect Utopia
Price: $5.55
6 used & new from $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Shoe Horn, May 11, 2014
Most shoe horns are too short. As I have gotten older, bending is harder. The few extra inches in length for this shoe horn make it comfortable to use. It is a sturdy metal shoe horn. I am very pleased with it.

The Great Deformation: The Corruption of Capitalism in America
The Great Deformation: The Corruption of Capitalism in America
by David Stockman
Edition: MP3 CD
Price: $30.71
4 used & new from $28.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Book, May 11, 2014
I purchased the MP3 audio book version of this book. It lasted 36 hours and was on 3 disks. A table of contents for the audio book was included.

I have been reading books since the 2008 crash, trying to understand what happened. This book has much to say about the state of the economy. For example, the author explained how TXU was purchased through a LBO. So when the holding company that owned TXU went bankrupt recently I was not surprised and I understood why it failed.

24" Inch Extra Long Handled Shoehorn
24" Inch Extra Long Handled Shoehorn
Offered by Shacke
Price: $14.99
2 used & new from $14.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, May 8, 2014
There are times I don't like bending over to use a shoe horn. With a 24 inch shoe horn, I do not need to bend at all. It is an amazing experience:putting on shoes with a shoe horn and not needing to bend at all! The plastic is light. I don't worry about it damaging the tile if it falls.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13