Profile for J. O'Connor > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 20

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. O'Connor RSS Feed (Florida)

Page: 1 | 2
Miller Manufacturing Plastic Poultry Fountain - 3 gal.
Miller Manufacturing Plastic Poultry Fountain - 3 gal.
Offered by BROOKLYN WHOLESALE SUPPLY INC
Price: $27.25
28 used & new from $26.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Being working fine for over a year, January 14, 2015
Have been using it for over a year and it works perfectly. Never had any problems with the handle. The container has a good o-ring and only very slight closing pressure is needed to create a seal. I don't suspend the container by the handle; I keep it on a concrete pad. The handle is easy to hold and carry when the container is filled.

The only things I would like better is if it were more rounded and had fewer interior angles, and if the paper label came off easily. When there's an algae buildup, the algae is harder to clean out of the corners. But I can easily get my hands inside to clean it with a brush. I also use an old toothbrush to clean in and around the threaded spigot opening. Also, I wish the paper label could be taken off easily. It's glued on and I scraped most of it off. The chickens pecked the rest of it off leaving glue residue that attracted dirt until I could eventually remove the glue.

Little Giant 3 Gallon Poultry Waterer  7906
Little Giant 3 Gallon Poultry Waterer 7906
Offered by HorseLoverZ / EasyPetStore
Price: $16.60
25 used & new from $11.86

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke after less than a year, December 8, 2013
Got it to work but broke after less than a year. It took a while out to figure out how to avoid mishaps like many others experienced. But even if used perfectly, the tabs on the top failed after about nine months use. The tabs (a) hold the handle in place and (b) allow you to set the bell-shaped container up down to fill it. One tab use to hold the handle tore off, and then two other tabs snapped off the next day. I put no pressure on those tabs other than to rest the bell on them. It is unusable without those tabs.

Lasted less than a year. Not a good product.

Laptop, Netbook battery for Asus Eee Compatible Models
Laptop, Netbook battery for Asus Eee Compatible Models
Offered by Bay Valley Parts
Price: $15.53
14 used & new from $15.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent replacement, May 14, 2013
One noteworthy thing: The description for this item says 4800mAh but the battery I received says 5200mAh. It arrived very quickly, too.

When shopping around and reading reviews, I paid a lot of attention to maH capacity. I almost went with 7200mAh but decided against it because it would significantly increase the weight of my laptop. If I was doing a lot of air travel it'd probably be worth it.

This battery is the same form factor as the original battery which is what I wanted. I'm getting about 4 to 5 hours on this battery at virtually full power consumption. This is good enough for my needs. If I'd turn off wifi, etc., I'm sure it would last longer.

Bracketron All-Weather Soft Case Bike Mount
Bracketron All-Weather Soft Case Bike Mount
Offered by CCMACCESSORIES
Price: $39.99
4 used & new from $14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a universal fit, January 15, 2013
I think the mounting system is designed well and is consistent with other mounts I've seen. And it's a great price, especially for being waterproof.

But the problem is neither of our family's smart phones fit the case: a Motorola Droid 3 and an HTC Incredible 2. If the case were only about 10 millimeters taller, they would fit easily and I'd give this 5 stars. Alas, I'll be shopping for something else now.

Miracle-Gro 100410 Garden Feeder with 1-Pound Miracle-Gro All Purpose Plant Food (Plant Fertilizer)
Price: $10.48
36 used & new from $10.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Tips for making it work, July 20, 2012
I bought this product without reading reviews so I had no preconceptions. But within the first five minutes of using it, I was so frustrated with problems that I was ready to trash it like so many others. However, I read as many reviews as I could on a lot of web sites, did some trial and error on my own, and now completely like the product. I think my tips below address every problem I've seen except for those who say it falls apart. I can only say that mine has been durable after going through six refills so far. Based on feel and examination, my expectation is that it will last about as long as an inexpensive garden hose sprayer...a couple of years anyway.

Before first use: Make sure you remove the plastic seal at the top of the refill container before using first time.

Leak at the hose connector: Make sure the plastic washer inside the dispenser female connection is there and fits well.

Blue water leak: Before re-attaching the container to the dispenser, make sure there are no fertilizer granules on the top edge or inside the dispenser. Wipe them off. The granules prevent the container from achieving a good water seal and you get blue water leaks.

Hand gets tired holding trigger for continuous spraying: Get a 4" clamp like one of these to hold the trigger closed: Heavy Duty Muslin Clamps 4 1/2 inch 6 Pack

Blue water comes out inconsistently: This was my main problem at first and why I wanted to toss the product. Ironically, I don't have a specific tip for this except that when I did everything--especially the fertilizer refilling tips below--this problem went away. My guess is that air pockets form in the container so you want to remove the air pockets before using the dispenser.

You have to hold the dispenser horizontal / pointing down / upside down to get the blue water to come out: This was my second main problem at first, and it too went away when I did everything else.

Other tips--refilling with fertilizer:
- Don't try to refill directly from a refill bag into the dispenser container. Hard to coordinate and some is bound to spill. Instead, dump the contents of the refill bag into, say, a small bucket, and then pour the fertilizer into the dispenser container.
- After the fertilizer is poured in, tap the dispenser container against the ground a few times to knock down the fertilizer and remove air pockets.
- Fill the container with water directly (when removed from the dispenser) rather than waiting for the dispenser to fill it with a trickle of water. As you refill it, slosh the slush around to remove air pockets, and fill to the top. You'll have a little foam at the top but that's okay.
- Make sure you re-attach the container to dispenser firmly. I found that I thought it was snug fit but when I added a little more pressure, it screwed on tighter.

Other comments:
* Some have complained that three nozzles are unnecessary for fertilizer dispensing. I agree, but they are still very useful when using the product for dispensing water only which is about 50% of the time I have the product attached to my garden hose.

* Rate of dispensing fertilizer: The product label should have this information. It depends on your water pressure, and the manufacturer says that for most situations the fertilizer should last about 12 minutes of dispensing. That's about right for me.

* How do you know when you need more fertilizer: The manufacturer says to refill even if the water inside the dispenser is slightly blue. I found that if I make sure there are no air pockets (tips above), then the transition from blue water to clear water coming out of the dispenser is quick and makes it obvious when I need to refill.

I think that covered everything I've discovered.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 21, 2015 10:23 AM PDT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Lasts about 5 to 6 years, June 7, 2011
I first received one as a gift in the 1990s, and it wore out about 2005. I then tried other slim wallets but absolutely nothing compared with the slimness and quality of this wallet, so I ordered another. Now, six years later, the seams on the second one are beginning to fray, so I'm back to order my third one. I'm talking about durability under daily use; for anyone who reports their wallet only lasted a few months, I wonder what the conditions were.

5 Children & It
5 Children & It
DVD ~ Tara Fitzgerald
Offered by SleepyHollow Books
Price: $4.75
54 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre but passable, April 23, 2011
This review is from: 5 Children & It (DVD)
The movie has a lot going for it: Great cast, excellent costumes and settings, and the basis for a wonderful story. But it was a big fail for translating the book's spirit to the screen, and appeared to have been hastily edited. There were laughable moments but it was a mostly tedious movie. Watchable, yes, but be patient.

After watching it, my 10 yo daughter said a better name would have been "Four children, a sea roach, and a random kid." Search sea roach images and you'll see what she means. Lamb was a hugely distracting character whose presence was needed only for one 10 second very implausible sequence. "How did he do that?" and there never was an answer. Likewise many other mysteries were presented but never answered in the movie. Even the ending was ambiguous whether it was real or an illusion. A big thumbs-down on the directing and editing, but still a passable movie.

Yell for Cadel: The Tour Backstage
Yell for Cadel: The Tour Backstage
DVD ~ Cadel Evans
Price: $15.16
20 used & new from $2.18

3.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment, July 10, 2010
First, it should be emphasized that the video features the 2008 Tour de France, not 2009 per the title.

By itself, it's a nice little video, a distraction. However, the description of the video is greatly exaggerated. It's a hodge-podge of snippets recorded on the team bus, in the hotel, and in the car with the race director. There is no cohesion; it's like a random set of candid shots, and has no racing action. I wondered if it was poorly edited, or if they simply didn't have very good footage. For what they did have, this could have been a 15-minute video. Instead, we see too much of Cadel's brusque bodyguard, too much of the outside of the team bus, and useless scenes like two photographers having an argument.

For a film that supposedly goes behind the scenes, there is no coverage of the support crew, no coverage of anyone else on the team except for about 15 seconds of one rider who dropped out of the race, and only about 60 seconds total of tactical discussion but without insight. There's zero coverage of preparation for the race except for a couple of special features snippets. And did I mention Cadel's bodyguard gets a lot of screen time?

On the positives, the special features interview with Cadel is good--actually more informative than the regular film. The regular film did give me a sense of the ever-present tension of being on that team, but I don't understand the source of the tension. Overall, I enjoyed learning more about Cadel Evans, but most of that came from the special features interview.

Genius SP-i200 Portable Speakers for MP3 Players (Black)
Genius SP-i200 Portable Speakers for MP3 Players (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I wanted...and more, May 26, 2009
I've been searching for the perfect speakers for my needs, and these are perfect, and then some more: Enough power (watts) to drive the speakers, decent fidelity for portable speakers, easily portable to play from my MP3 player, and suitable to play from my laptop which has underpowered speakers.

And why is it better than I need? Because the speakers can be powered by both an AC adapter or batteries, and the AC adapter is provided. USB-powered speakers don't provide the volume and fidelity that I want, so I figured I'd have to get battery-powered or AC-adapter-powered speaker. That this speaker provides both is uncommonly rare.

I had concern before buying the speakers that there wouldn't be enough stereo separation between the two speakers, but that's not the case. The center point of the speakers is 5 inches apart, and the speakers do a fine job of stereo separation.

If I could have one improvement, it would more boost of the higher frequencies. Directly in front of the speakers, the highs are clear but not to the side or other parts of a room. The overall fidelity is very good; most of my listening preference is to vocals-based music.

The Fairies of Nutfolk Wood
The Fairies of Nutfolk Wood
by Barb Bentler Ullman
47 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A book written with an artist's perspective, November 16, 2008
I read this book with my 7yo daughter and, upon completing it, she gave a high compliment: "Did the author write more?" I found the author's home page and was not surprised that she considered herself an artist first. The book provides wonderful visual images of all kinds, and does so in a natural way that enhances the story, rather than distracts from it.

Though fairies are a key element of the book, the strength of the book are the human relationships that the central figure of the book develops. They also occur in a very natural way.

As a trivial footnote, there seemed to be a minor inconsistency that an editor should have caught. The story features a semi-remote rural setting with no electricity or modern convenience, except for propane fuel. However, the house has a refrigerator, and ice is available during a hot summer. A curious oddity.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 16, 2008 8:07 PM PST