Profile for Anthony Lawrence > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 213

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Anthony Lawrence "Unixish stuff" RSS Feed (Middleboro, MA USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Verso Prologue Marbled Blue for Kindle Fire (Blue) (does not fit Kindle Fire HD)

5.0 out of 5 stars My wife loved it, October 23, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I got this for my wife, who has been shopping for a cover for her Kindle Fire for months now. Everything she found in the stores was too cheap looking and she was afraid to order more expensive things on-line because she wouldn't be sure to like it. I took a chance on this, but it worked out well: she thought it was very good looking and is happy with how it holds and protects the Kindle. It looks like a real leather book - very well done!

Her only complaint is that it adds a lot of weight. I don't see how you can avoid that without looking or actually being cheap and she agrees.

Core Bamboo Classic 14-Piece Kitchen Utensil Set, Natural
Core Bamboo Classic 14-Piece Kitchen Utensil Set, Natural
Price: $20.67
4 used & new from $20.45

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and splintery, October 23, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I thought this might be a good replacement for the wooden utensils we have had for decades.

It isn't. These are cheap looking, flimsy and worst of all, splintery. Our old set may be old and worn, but the pieces are substantial and smooth.

I said "Well, we'll give it someone". My wife asked, "Who are you going to give junk to?"

I guess she's right.

Vibe E-SSENTIAL Crystal Clear iPad Screen Protector
Vibe E-SSENTIAL Crystal Clear iPad Screen Protector
Offered by goHastings
Price: $4.80
2 used & new from $4.80

1.0 out of 5 stars Total junk, October 10, 2012
I found one of these at Job Lot for $3.99.

No wonder - it's absolute junk. Mine was cracked near the bottom and the helpful "Front/Back" stickers won't peel off - they leave residue.

Don't bother with this. Get something better.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 26, 2012 8:19 AM PST

VMware Fusion 5 for MAC OS X
VMware Fusion 5 for MAC OS X
Offered by BetterLifeTech
Price: $199.99
4 used & new from $99.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Parallels, sorry, October 10, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I had hoped this might be better than it has been in the past, but I'm sticking with Parallels on my Mac.

My test case here has been an old copy of SCO 5.0.7. It's a bit out of the mainstream, but VMware does have knowledge base articles about it, so I think it's fair.

The installation went fine - and quite quickly, too. However, several times during various reboots it seems to lose the keyboard - I couldn't type. Restarting always fixed it, but that's not cool.

I followed their directions for editing the .vmx file to use "e1000" for the network card and downloaded/installed the proper drivers from SCO. It doesn't work - no network at all. Sure, their directions are probably wrong and maybe eventually I'll figure out why, but right now, this is not impressing me.

So, I downloaded a pre-made .vmx image of a Linux product I sell. As I expected, that went smoothly - right up to the time where I wanted to send CTRL-ALT-F1. Does VMware include anything like that in their Send Keys menu? Nope.. Parallels does because they understand you might find that useful on a Linux machine..

Can I get around that? Yes. But I shouldn't have to.

VillaWare NDVLFP1000 500-Watt 12-Cup Capacity Food Processor
VillaWare NDVLFP1000 500-Watt 12-Cup Capacity Food Processor
Offered by ElectronicsDirectPlus
Price: $65.56
10 used & new from $58.80

3.0 out of 5 stars Too big for us, October 9, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We have a very old blender now (so old the white plastic has turned yellow) so I thought this food processor might be helpful.

I set it it up for my wife to have a look. The suction cups seemed like they'd hold it firmly, and it wasn't hard to assemble, but what would we do with those sharp blades? They'd have to be stored somewhere, but where? I had no answer for that.

My wife took a look at it and delivered the verdict: too big, too complicated, the blender is all we need. I knew she was right, so I tried to repack it, which was impossible - I couldn't get it back in the box as it had come and finally gave up.

We gave it to a young family with two kids who were delighted to have it. I hope they enjoy it.

Moshi iVisor AG Screen Protection for Kindle Fire (Anti-Glare) - Bubble Free Installation (will not fit HD or HDX models)
Price: $14.99
9 used & new from $11.59

5.0 out of 5 stars I am really impressed., October 6, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was nervous about this - I've had some awful experiences with similar products.

But this was easy - they even included a microfiber cloth to clean the screen. I had a little trouble getting it lined up on first try (no bubbles, though) but it's removable (and washable, they say) so I tried again and got it perfect that time.

I was amazed that my fingers left no smudges. I thought maybe my my hands were just too clean, so I cleaned my iPad screen and touched it - immediate smudge.

I AM impressed. If they make one of these for my iPad, I'm buying it!

OS X Mountain Lion Bible
OS X Mountain Lion Bible
by Galen Gruman
Price: $28.66
62 used & new from $0.40

3.0 out of 5 stars Another book that makes me dislike books, October 3, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm really beginning to dislike paper books.

I never thought I'd say this, but I definitely dislike this BECAUSE IT IS PAPER.

There's no color, so the "big, bold labels" (the Introduction's description) are hard to read and quite disconcerting. There's no color, so screen shots are even more difficult to read. The thing weighs as much as two iPads so it is definitely uncomfortable to read.

And of course it can't be updated as things change.. An electronic version would be in color, could be updated and could be interactive. It could have little movies to show how to do things, even little tests of understanding.. that's what the future of tech books is.

It's thorough. It's definitely a "bible". They have a Kindle Edition - you should definitely get that!

Amazon: when are you going to wake up and send reviewers digital rather than paper?

Cash Content Creation - How To EASILY Create Compelling Written Content For Your Websites That Your Visitors Will LOVE! (Content Strategy for the Web - ... Research and Content Writing Rules Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nicely done, September 27, 2012
This is very nicely done. I never have the problem of "what do I write about?", but I know other people do and if that includes you, you can benefit from this book.

I actually didn't even know about one of the very useful websites mentioned in this book! That surprised me a little :)

Anyway - the only negative thing I'd have to say is that at the very beginning it reads like one of those interminable "teaser" books - you know, the ones that say "you will learn how to do THIS, and my power packed tips will let you do THAT AND MORE!" and then they drone on with more and more promises but never really deliver anything?

That doesn't happen here. The author actually makes good on what he promises.

I didn't find any fault with any of his advice or opinions. I thought it was spot on and it could be just what you need if you have a website or blog.

Omron HJ-112 Digital Pocket Pedometer
Omron HJ-112 Digital Pocket Pedometer
Offered by More4Less4U
Price: $64.60
15 used & new from $57.25

5.0 out of 5 stars I like this a lot but wish it had heart rate too, September 8, 2012
The last thing I want is a pedometer I have to clip to my belt or wear on my wrist. I LOVE that I can throw this in my shirt pocket.

Having 7 days history is nice, too. I record all of my food and exercise and every now and the I forget - I may never remember to record that extra set of pull-ups, but this pedometer has what I walked.

The tracking of aerobic time is good, too. I don't really care what it thinks about calories of fat grams consumed, though.

I do wish there was away to shut this off. We live in a community that has private roads and we can drive golf carts here. I drive mine frequently in good weather and this always records at least a few hundred steps in a three mile round trip.

Other than that, I don't really care about accuracy - the point is what I did this week compared to last week. It's not whether I did 4.2 or 4.6 miles yesterday, it's whether I did 4 miles or 10 miles - that's what I care about.

The price is good, you don't need to be concerned about orientation and it works. I like it! I wish it would do heart rate too - and again, I don't need super accuracy, just an indication of how hard I've been working.

La Crosse Technology WS-8500U-IT Wireless Temperature Station with Solar Sensor
La Crosse Technology WS-8500U-IT Wireless Temperature Station with Solar Sensor

5.0 out of 5 stars This is perfect for us, September 8, 2012
I was a bit nervous about this after reading some other reviews, but the price wasn't bad, so we ordered it.

Setup and installation was very simple - I really didn't even need the instructions.

The problem this solved for us is knowing the temperature at night and having an idea of how hot the sun is making the effective temperature. We have a large outdoor thermometer mounted on our screened porch and, during daylight hours, it's quite easy to see through our patio door. At night, it's impossible - if we turn on the porch light there's too much glare. There's also the matter of it being in shade - it doesn't show us what it's like out in the sun.

This device solves the night time issue, of course, and I deliberately mounted the temperature sensor where it gets hit by the sun most of the day. The combination of the two thermometers gives us a very good idea of what is going on outside day or night.

I like this. I hope it stays working for a few years and will come back to update this either way.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20