Profile for P. Arroyo > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

P. Arroyo RSS Feed (Long Beach, New York United States)

Dudley Dino's Dinner Game
Dudley Dino's Dinner Game
Price: $14.76
13 used & new from $14.55

1.0 out of 5 stars Nope do not buy this., December 25, 2013
This review is from: Dudley Dino's Dinner Game (Toy)
This is a nice idea but very poorly executed. The lower part of the jaw is attached by rubber bands. The weight of the playing pieces is supposed to hold it open just enough for you to hook the pieces without touching the teeth. The problem is after you remove one or two items the jaws close and all the pieces slide out the back. It is next to impossible to play this game. I am going to try to modify the game and somehow block the back so the pieces dont fall out but overall if i could give negative stars here i would. This game was requested by my five year old for christmas and she was very disappointed that it was unplayable.

Cuisinart DCC-1200 Brew Central 12-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker, Black/Brushed Metal
Price: $63.59
77 used & new from $42.99

3.0 out of 5 stars I was not pleased with this one...., February 2, 2007
The only reason I am giving this coffee maker 3 stars is because it did make tasty coffee......??? you say? One problem, the coffee was not at all hot enough for my taste. I drink my coffee black and no I do not like it scalding hot but I do like it to be hot coming out of the pot! I was able with my bare hand to touch the outside of the carafe with a full pot of fresh coffee in it. This was doubly disappointing to me because it really did brew a delicious cup of coffee. It was barely hot enough for someone drinking it black; if milk had to be added, well, think barely warm enough bath water! The features on it were great, it looked nice, was not gigantic on the counter, in all other aspects wonderful. The only other comment I do have is that I purchased the white one and the lid immediately became stained. Short story, I used this for two days and got rid of it. Bummer.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 3, 2007 8:19 AM PST

Garden Eden : Masterpieces of Botanical Book Illustration
Garden Eden : Masterpieces of Botanical Book Illustration
by H. Walter Lack
19 used & new from $39.05

5.0 out of 5 stars take my word for it you want this one, July 8, 2003
This book is GREAT! This book is beautiful, this book is wonderful!!! [gee, think I like the book?] If you are considering buying only one book of botanical illustrations this is the perfect book to start with. If you have many books of botanical works of art this will be a valued addition to them. It is basically a sampling of botanical works of art throughout history. It includes many different artists from all different countries and all differnet styles. The one thing they all share in common is beauty.
If you want to purchase books of botanical illustration and don't know where or with whom to start this is the perfect book for you because it displays so many different artists, techniques time periods and styles.
Even if you already have a collection of this art I can still highly recommend this book. It is that good. I don't think that the book loses much of anything by being a paperback. The cover is of a very heavy material with a vibrant illustration on it. It is a coated cover so that it will stand up to quite a bit of wear. Please don't let that stop you from purchsing this wonderful book. There is so very much to look at and study here, it is a book that you will never tire of browsing through. It is also a great reference for reviewing a large number of different masters in this art form. Get this one, you will not regret it!

Threads of Light: Chinese Embroidery from Suzhou and the Photography of Robert Glenn Ketchum (UCLA Fowler Museum of Cultural History Textile Series)
by Patrick Dowdey
42 used & new from $13.22

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 is not even close to enough, July 8, 2003
Words cannot even begin to describe the beauty of the works of art contained in this book. If you only ever buy one book in your life to just look at the pictures let it be this one. I could sit entranced by this embroidery for hours. I agree with another reviewer who stated that you can't conceive of this art being created by human hands. If you need proof simply look at the cover. That is not a photograph folks, it is embroidered.
The photographs are also quite beatiful. Consider as you look at them that the photo's are trying to capture texture...something very elusive in that medium. In many cases you can barely tell the photo from the embroidery and in others the embroidery is an interpretation of the photo.
I cannot state this enough... this book is truly, truly extraordinary and I don't think that there is anything else like it out there.

The Encyclopedia of Fantasy
The Encyclopedia of Fantasy
by John Grant
23 used & new from $22.24

1.0 out of 5 stars all I can say is thank heavens I bought this used!!!!, June 12, 2003
There are so many disappointments here I don't know where to start but I'll give it a try just in case you are considering purchasing this paperweight. All I can say is Thank God I bought it used! First, no pictures AT ALL. Second, there is a very annoying problem with the text. When you read the sentence above with the words 'AT ALL' in capital letters you probably emphasised those two words in your head. This is a normal thing to do especially now with e-mail etiquette using words written in capital letters as a form of 'written yelling'. Well, the authors, editors, whomever, chose to capitalize [as opposed to italicize], all the words in each listing that appear elsewhere in the book as a heading. This makes for very dis-jointed and annoying reading. Of course this is a personal opinion of mine, it may not bother you. So here is another one, jargon, or I should say more correctly, made-up terms by the authors supposedly referring to fantasy books. This book is filled with these imaginary terms that no one else has heard of but them. It reads like someone's lame thesis. As if they wrote this overblown dissertion all about fantasy books and tried to make themselves sound so very literary and intellectual. Kind of pathetic folks!
Here is an example, [the capitalization here is theirs], they try to place fantasy books into categories that they have names for such as 'a PLANETARY ROMANCE'. For all you lovers of Anne McCaffrey out there this should offend to no end; and I quote under the entry for dragons [pg 295] the following "In the PERN PLANETARY ROMANCES by Anne MCCAFFREY they are again, [dragons], semi-sapient, capable of an emotional bonding to their selected riders that is quasi-sexual." unquote.
Webster's dictionary defines sapient as possessing or expressing great sagacity. Yeah..... okay, you could have just said semi-intelligent but you would still be wrong as they were not semi or quasi anything. They were fully sentient and fully intelligent but I guess semi-sapient sounds smarter to some people! [even if it is incorrect]. And 'a PLANETARY ROMANCE'?, what the hell is that supposed to be?
Not to mention I would not call these books romances. It makes them sound cheesy which they are certainly not. And while on the subject there was nothing sexual, quasi or otherwise, between the dragons and their riders!!! and if you think there was you are just sick. The dragons share a telapathic bond with their riders and therefore share their lives and their feelings with each other. That is all. If you read sexual into that well then you just have way too much 'sexual' on the brain.
So perspective purchasers of this unworthy tome that is just ONE entry concerning one of the most well known, loved, and highly recommended fantasy series ever written. And oh my do they butcher it. You can take it from there.
The only possible use this book has besides propping open the back door is that it lists authors works in order. So if you are starting to read a series and are unsure of the sequence of the books, they do list that information for you. For that much they can have the one star. If possible I would have not even given this book even that much. Sorry folks but that's just my opinion as someone who has been reading fantasy for over 25 years.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 24, 2011 12:43 AM PDT

The Broken Crown (The Sun Sword, Book 1)
The Broken Crown (The Sun Sword, Book 1)
by Michelle West
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $8.09
151 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars approach with caution, good but .........................., December 8, 2002
I have to begin by offering a caution against starting these books. Underneath it all ,[I will explain 'it all' in a moment],the base storyline in these 4 books is very good. And again if you can wade through 'it all' the characters are engaging and likable and the bad guys,[kialli],are very evil and at the same time you are drawn to them in their tortured existance. The base story IS good and it is engaging if you can wade through the authors' incredibly pedantic prose and some of the longest run-on sentences and poor sentence structure I have ever come across. And no I am not an english teacher and I have not studied any form of english grammer since high school many years ago. But her writing style makes these faults so glaring unless you are utterly illiterate you can't help but become aware of it. Some of these sentences are so long they run to a full paragraph. You get so lost in them you have to go back to the beginning and try to break the sentence down to figure out what the hell the author is trying to say! Many times during the story it becomes almost impossible to tell which of the characters is speaking at any given time, sometimes there is simply no way to tell.
However, I kept reading and I am still not sure why. As I said before underneath everything the story is really good but it is hard to follow and as the books progress it begins to seem that she is making it up as she goes along. Yes, I know that that is the nature of writing but let me explain what I mean. It seems to me that as the books progress characters in the story evolve into soemthing different than they were originally conceived to be BY THE AUTHOR, in the beginning of the story. The character of Avander is a perfect example. In the first book he is a servant, albeit a surly, menacing, cold, servant but no more than a servant with a somewhat cloudy past. By the 4th book he has gained 3 other names that I can figure, is immortal and some kind of an all powerful 'warlord'. But he is still a servant?
Yeah, I know this does not make sense. Neither does the bizarre and gaudy alternate dimension mansion they get stuck in. The so called Arianni and the Winter Queen show up in the fourth book and become critical to the plot but they were never mentioned in any of the earlier books. It seems that she gets tired of her storyline and her characters while she is writing and just randomly adds entirely new elements and storylines at a whim. They have no place in the earlier books and were never mentioned in the main storyline where they would have fit in IF they had in fact existed in the mind of the author at the start of her writing. Approach these books with caution. They will draw you in but they are not all that well written.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 22, 2011 9:52 AM PDT

Beaded Tassels, Braids & Fringes
Beaded Tassels, Braids & Fringes
by Valerie Campbell-Harding
32 used & new from $1.57

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent and valued addition to my beading bookshelf!!, June 11, 2002
I bought this book after looking at it for about 20 seconds. I was not disappointed. Its' main topic is making tassels out of beads, however in the course of describing, making, and displaying her creations in this book, there arise a lot of different and unusual tricks, techniques and ways with beads. This book is great if you want to make beaded tassels; if you work with beads and need some new ideas and inspirations; or, if the creative well is running dry and you need to graze in some new territory. I do work with beads in peyote, sculptural peyote, Ndebele, brickstitch, squarestitch and wired floral work. I found the instructions in this book for the beading techniques quite good, however, if you have no experience in the above techniques and intend to learn the techniques from this book I don't think that will work. You do need prior knowledge with at least peyote stitch and brick stitch to make many, but not all of the tassels described. Other than that, which is more of a heads up than a critisism, I would highly recommend this book to any and all beadworkers and creative persons everywhere. An excellent and valued addition to my beading bookshelf.

Beadwork (Handicraft Manuals)
Beadwork (Handicraft Manuals)
by Donatella Ciotti
40 used & new from $1.87

5.0 out of 5 stars if you like beads you MUST HAVE this book, June 11, 2002
I can't emphasize this enough...this book is utterly exquisite beautiful and filled with beautiful projects. The beaded flowers and miniature trees in this book are among some of the most creative and gorgeous I have ever seen. The book is filled with photographs both of an instructional nature and of finished creations. The instructions for the flowers are good, however I would not recommend this book to a novice unless it was as a creative stimuli, which it most assuredly is. ie..some prior experience with beads or an innovative creative mind is recommended. I have many bead books and I can say with some confidence that this book is a MUST HAVE for anyone who loves beads and beadwork and beautiful things. Even if it had no words and only the pictures I would still recommend it as highly inspirational for the projects and creations it displays

The Tropical Look: An Encyclopedia of Dramatic Landscape Plants
The Tropical Look: An Encyclopedia of Dramatic Landscape Plants
by Robert Lee Riffle
48 used & new from $8.11

2.0 out of 5 stars sorry I can't agree, December 28, 2000
okay, I know some readers gave this 5 stars but I was rather disappointed with the photo's in this book considering the price. The pics to me were quite small generally. Additionally, there are only photo's for a few of the plants described. Most of the entries had no illustrations at all. In other words, let's say there are an average of 4-6 plants described for each 2 page spread, {left and right}, there might be one, very infrequently two, very small, washed out looking photos for only one out of all the plants listed on that page. Also, I have to say that the pictures in general were not only small but they also seemed like they were very old; ie.. rather like drab pics from someone's 1964 honeymoon in Hawaii. For what are incredibly colorful and dramatic plants, these small pictures seemed almost monochromatic! {and considering the subject matter I would consider this an almost criminal offense !!}. Sorry to be so critical but there it is; this is actually the first book I have ever had to return that I bought from Amazon and the first book put out by Timber Press that I was not utterly thrilled with. Normally Timber Pr. can be counted on for really fantastic stuff. In fact they have a few other titles that cover the same material much better than this. I highly recommend you take a look at those before you fork over the $'s for this one. My apologies to the author.