Profile for RStimpy > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

RStimpy "RStimpy" RSS Feed (CA)

Flowbee Haircutting System
Flowbee Haircutting System
Offered by Hot As Seen On TV Products
Price: $109.95
3 used & new from $80.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good If you don't like playing Russian Roulette with your hair every time you see a haircutter, February 16, 2012
First things first..you're cutting your hair with a vacuum. Get over it.

I think, at the core, you want two basic things from a haircut:

1) It's the basic length you want,
2) It's even.

If you don't like your haircut, it's probably because it didn't meet (1) or (2). And Flowbee can do both of these things as well or better than your haircutter.

Then there are the things the Flowbee won't do that your haircutter might: It won't increase its prices after you've used it a couple times, move out of town, show up hung over, get a new creative idea and chop a bunch of hair off without telling you, or attempt to measure your hair length with some fingers and an eyeball. It will also not get impatient as you want to cut your hair a tiny bit, look at the result, and keep cutting a little more until you get it just right.

That said, with about 1/2 hour of Flowbee experience under my belt, I'd say its designed for basic men's haircuts. It can probably do any haircut (at its core, it's a trimmer, and you can cut hair with a trimmer), but without much/any skill like myself, you'll probably just want to have uniform-length hair on top, probably shorter sides and potentially a 1/2" taper around the ears and back. That's what the Flowbee is designed for and I like the cut I got from it. Also, Flowbee is great at cutting hair one length (say, a length for the top or another one for the sides), but I'm not sure how well it can transition between lengths. It worked pretty well transitioning from short sides to a longer top by just keeping the spacer straight with the side of my head, but given my head is curved, I'm not sure how precise this method is, especially with the back of my head. Still, again, it came out well.

Now, a rambling personal experience: I'm a male with ~2" wavy/curly hair. I got a $45 trim (yes, it's expensive but I'm very scared of Supercuts) from a haircutter who gave me a style I liked last time. Problem is, this time she gave me a different haircut than I wanted, and I had to style it a certain way or I'd look silly. My wife told me to go back and get it fixed but I honestly had no idea what she was supposed to fix and, given that she gave me this haircut in the first place, would actually make the hair look better. Rather than pick another haircutter and spin the roulette wheel again, I took a leap of faith and got my Flowbee.

The first thing I did was put a bunch of spacers on (so I didn't get any hair cut) and watched my hair as I turned the vacuum on. It was really easy to see how long my hair was, and I soon discovered my hair was 1/2 inch longer on the right than on the left, was longer at one point on my side than on the top, had varying lengths across my bangs, and was nonuniform pretty much everywhere. Mystery of why may hair didn't sit right was solved. BTW, I used a Eureka Boss upright vacuum (12A current) through the hose and it worked fine.

Anyway, I Flowbeed my hair as was recommended in their instruction pamphlet, taking a little bit off at a time while my wife was taking pictures and my 3-year old was turning the vacuum cleaner on and off and trying to Flowbee himself. So I was a bit distracted. Still, the haircut I gave myself was definitely an improvement - I was cautious and left the sides are a bit too long, but the beautiful thing is I can just cut it shorter when I get home today. I suspect as I take notes and get more practice I will be able to make it look better, but as it is now it's pretty good. The best part is, no matter how the hair is parted, or whether I comb the hair down or back, it still looks good. Nice to have even hair.

So, bottom line, I think Flowbee gets the basics right. If I see a haircutter again, I think I'd give myself a Flowbee haircut first and just ask him/her to just do finishing touches at the end.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 14, 2013 2:43 PM PDT

How to Cook Everything (Completely Revised 10th Anniversary Edition)
How to Cook Everything (Completely Revised 10th Anniversary Edition)
by Mark Bittman
Price: $20.30
138 used & new from $12.66

5.0 out of 5 stars A godsend for a busy beginning cook like myself, June 27, 2009
Here's why I love this book:

1) "Mix-and-match": Say you know how to make five simple sauces (Japanese sauce, Italian-style sauce, etc.). Then say these sauces work with any of five different kinds of proteins - beef, chicken, fish, shrimp, pork. Now you have 5X5 = 25 different meals you can make, so you can last almost a month without repeating a recipe, and you can get creative (I tried a miso sauce in a hamburger - worked great!) Now this book uses this principle on steroids - tons and tons of different simple sauces, foods, and preparation methods. I wouldn't be surprised if you could cook every day from this book and not repeat a recipe in your life. I've used this book maybe 3 weeks. I probably know how to cook 10X more recipes than I used to, and I'm just getting started.
2) Simple recipes with minimal ingredients - you see lots of recipes that need lemon or garlic, and almost none that need porcini mushrooms. The recipes give you a lot of bang for your buck (and time).
3) The worst recipes I've tried are good (granted, I screwed a couple of them up), and the best ones are open-a-restaurant quality.
4) This is a little depressing - almost all my family recipes are in this book as some variation of a simple recipe.
5) Very well organized - this book is gigantic, but it's pretty easy to get the hang of it. If you want to try braising, look up "braising" and it explains the technique and gives some simple examples with variations. Same idea with, say, "beets". The time estimates for the recipes are pretty accurate.
6) Very unpretentious - I love a book that says you can be a good cook without mastering the correct technique to slice an onion, or just says that broiling is like grilling, except upside down.

The only caveat I'd have is that he has a certain style of cooking - I happen to like it a lot, but you might want to check a couple recipes and see if they look good first. Overall, though, this book rocks.