Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS
Profile for denisend > Reviews

Browse

denisend's Profile

Customer Reviews: 18

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

denisend RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Buff Bake Nut Butter Variety (Snikerdoodle / Cookie / Chocolate Chip) 13 Oz
Buff Bake Nut Butter Variety (Snikerdoodle / Cookie / Chocolate Chip) 13 Oz
Offered by Zulera
Price: $35.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Flavor for "hot cereal" alternative, January 4, 2016
I like to make a flax/chia seed "hot cereal" alternative, and discovered that adding a spoonful of these butters (especially Snickerdoodle) adds exceptional flavor.

I find the texture a bit too grainy to eat directly out of the jar, or as a spread.

Biodegradable EcoPure Forks - Box of 500
Biodegradable EcoPure Forks - Box of 500
Offered by Transitions2earth
Price: $19.95

1.0 out of 5 stars False, Misleading, and Unsubstantiated Claims About the Biodegradability of Plastic Products, December 31, 2015
These items do not biodegrade in landfills.

"FTC Concludes ECM BioFilms Made False, Misleading, and Unsubstantiated Claims About the Biodegradability of Plastic Products Treated with Its Additive" (search for that headline to bring up the FTC link)

The FTC says:
"Based on its own examination of the evidence, the Commission also found that ECM made implied claims that plastic products treated with ECM’s additive will biodegrade in a reasonably short period of time, or within five years, and that these claims were false and unsubstantiated. "

The company that makes/sells the EcoPure additive tells you themselves that their "biodegradable" claim does not represent the average landfill condition:
"Plastics made with EcoPure® are biodegradable* in both aerobic and anaerobic environments, making them ideal for landfills, where most plastics are discarded.
*Biodegradation rates of EcoPure®-treated plastic materials measured according to the ASTM D5511 test method. Tests are generally conducted using 20% to 30% solids content; solids content in naturally wetter landfills range from 55% to 65%, while the driest landfills may reach 93%. Actual biodegradation rates will vary in biologically-active landfills according to the type of plastic used, the product configuration, and the solid content, temperature and moisture levels of the landfill."

In other words, their tests were conducted in landfills with 2-5 times as much liquid content (which aids in microbe mobility) than actual landfill conditions.

SuperiorMaker BIG Door Stop Works on All Surfaces, Keeps Door Securely Open - 3 Pack of Black Rubber, Modern Wedge Design - Non-Scratching Door Stop
Offered by SuperiorMaker
Price: $27.95
15 used & new from $7.40

1.0 out of 5 stars No grip on hardwood, December 25, 2015
I bought these door stoppers to ensure that the cats didn't accidentally close doors and lock themselves into a room. We have hardwood floors and hollow core doors, but these stoppers do not grip the floor at all. They are useless.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2015 11:45 AM PST

Outlast Temperature Cooling Sheet Set, Green, King
Outlast Temperature Cooling Sheet Set, Green, King

1.0 out of 5 stars 3 months later and sheet shopping again, June 24, 2012
I purchased these sheets 3 months ago because my husband is always warm (while I'm freezing). We hoped that these temperature regulation sheets would help him stay cool and spare our A/C bill a bit.

They are soft sheets, and comfortable, but neither of us have noticed any type of cooling effect. We shrugged; they are overpriced for what they are, but you live and learn.

Tonight, after 3 months of use, we found a hole on the fitted sheet after washing. We've followed the laundering instructions precisely (cold water, delicate cycle). We've washed normal cotton sheets on high temperature for years without any holes, and high temperature is a better wash temperature for allergy sufferers (dust mites). I was willing to baby these sheets to ensure that they last, but despite this care we already have a hole!

Prospera Electronic Pulse Massager
Prospera Electronic Pulse Massager
Offered by PORTABLE GUY
Price: $19.69
15 used & new from $19.69

2.0 out of 5 stars Super strong... no, really, STRONG, September 1, 2011
I read the reviews before buying this unit. A few folks complained that it was too strong, but everyone has their own preferences and perhaps they're just wimps, right? During massage I always ask for MORE pressure, so I'm not a wimp, right?

After comparing this unit to the therapy I received at the chiropractor's office, I think this machine uses a different frequency which makes it's jolts much *sharper*, rather than a low buzzing. Perhaps that type of therapy is used for certain injuries, but it's not helpful for me.

It takes several minutes of turning the machine off and on to get the pads into a tolerable position so that I'm not getting what feels like jabs with sharp pins (and since I'm using it on my shoulders/neck, it's a two person job). Plus, all of that moving wears out the pads faster.

Part of the problem is also that the strength dial doesn't seem to function very well. I have to turn it to 2.5 to get the machine to turn on, but then I can turn it down to 1 without turning it off (usually... sometimes it'll take an attempt or 2 to get it right). I suspect if the machine had adjustable frequencies (I haven't found a way to change it) then I could tolerate a higher strength and it wouldn't be such an issue.

I can see why people could like it, but it's not what I'm looking for.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 9, 2012 1:10 PM PDT

RII Mini Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard (Built-in TouchPad/Laser Pointer) - Black
RII Mini Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard (Built-in TouchPad/Laser Pointer) - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Short Range, June 11, 2011
The remote works well when I'm sitting in the middle of the living room, but from my couch (about 15' from the computer) it's useless. Get it if you have a small living room, but otherwise pass.

NETGEAR Powerline AV 200 Adapter Kit
NETGEAR Powerline AV 200 Adapter Kit
Offered by Adorsales
Price: $136.00
6 used & new from $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect solution to wireless "dropouts", December 22, 2010
Our wireless network (802.11n) was perfectly adequate for looking up recipes in the kitchen and chatting on the couch, but when we decided to start streaming Netflix and other video services we ran into problems.

The PS3 in the living room streamed Netflix perfectly, but HuluPlus was filled with loading pauses and pretty much unwatchable. We then added a BluRay player with internet streaming in the bedroom, and any video services on that machine (also equipped with an 802.11n wireless adapter) would pause every 5 minutes to download more video. Investigating the router logs showed that it was timing out, so I decided to switch from wireless to a wired setup.

So Powerline or MoCA looked like much easier options. I picked Netgear's Powerline AV setup because they had a switch (XAV1004) and we have multiple internet devices in the living room. I could have bought any normal switch, I believe, but I prefer to use consolidated devices when I can (less clutter!).

Installation was a breeze. I just plugged each adapter into the wall, connected the ethernet cables, and told my BluRay to use the wired connection. We immediately settled down to watch Netflix and found that there was a pause for a second every 10-20 minutes (which could also be inadequate buffering on the player). This is MUCH better performance than we were previously getting on wireless!

After doing some investigation, I downloaded the Powerline Utility. I used that to set up security and check the connections. The utility reports that I'm getting between 100-120 Mbps across the powerline connections. After setting up the network with the utility, I also haven't seen any of last night's "pauses", so perhaps that helped somehow.

For reference, my house was built in 2004, so the power lines are pretty new. We have cable internet (since I've been discussing Netflix streaming).

Overall, it's an easy way to provide network access to devices in out of the way places - much easier than trying to run ethernet cable! I highly recommend it.

Organic Camano Island Coffee Roasters Papua New Guinea, Light Roast, Whole Bean, 16-Ounce Bags (Pack of 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Light Roast Organic, December 10, 2010
It seems most of the organic/shade grown/fair trade coffee is medium or dark roasted, so I've been having a hard time finding something that I like. While this doesn't wow me like some other coffees, it's priced cheaper than those coffees and it's a good brew for when I'm not really paying attention to what I'm drinking (like when I'm working).

I'm definitely going to keep this one around, and just switch to the expensive (better) coffees that I've found when I can really enjoy them.

Compared to other coffee that's not organic/shade grown/fair trade, this is an average light roast. Good, but nothing to get excited over. It's worth purchasing over those coffees because of the growing practices.

Surf Sweets Gummy Swirls, 2.75-Ounce Bags (Pack of 12)
Surf Sweets Gummy Swirls, 2.75-Ounce Bags (Pack of 12)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good alternative candy, November 25, 2010
These aren't like typical gummi bears; they're more like gumdrops in texture, complete with a dusting of sugar (though finer grained than normal gumdrops).

The flavor isn't over poweringly sweet, it's a gentle sweet/fruit flavor. Overall, it's a good choice when you want something sweet but don't want to kill yourself from sugar overload.

I'm finding that I'll eat about a half dozen (or 1/3 of a pack) and my sweet craving is satisfied - much better than regular commercialized food that encourages you to keep eating!

Lucky Champ Litter Champ Premium Pet Waste and Odor Disposal System, Taupe
Lucky Champ Litter Champ Premium Pet Waste and Odor Disposal System, Taupe
Price: $39.74
7 used & new from $33.78

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for multicat households, November 9, 2010
I originally had two healthy cats, and bought a Litter Locker. That worked out well, but then one cat got sick (increased fluid output) and we added a third, so trying to scoop daily meant that the Litter Locker was filled in a day or maybe two - it definitely didn't hold enough waste to even go between trash days. When I started searching for a larger litter waste solution, I found this one.

PROS:
-Large size means that waste from 3 cats doesn't have to be emptied daily. I scoop the boxes daily, but the waste only needs to be emptied from the can on the nights before the trash pickup (or every-other trash pickup; sometimes I'm lazy).
-Double lid system means that smell does not 'leak out' (I once used a litter bucket; it wasn't airtight).
-Uses less plastic (in bags) than the litter locker, since all of the waste is put into one bag; you aren't winding anything up.
-Since it's there and convenient, it helps me to keep the boxes scooped daily.

CONS:
-Smelly when you're using it (since the previous waste isn't sealed, when you open the canister you can smell it)
-Scoop storage is gross. While it's convenient to be stuck on the side, I don't like to have it exposed and would rather have a container for it. I haven't found any third party scoops that fit the opening and have a stand or anything.
-It's awfully tall and the round shape makes it hard to "tuck" into places. It doesn't serve its purpose if it's not near the boxes, but it's shape makes it difficult to find a spot for.
-Touching the inner lid with the scoop to open it is rather unsanitary. I'm not touching that lid with anything *except* the scoop, though, so I suppose it's a minor quibble.

In summary, it's not perfect, but it's the best solution out there that I've tried. I definitely recommend it (even with it's faults, it's better than the competition or not having one).

Page: 1 | 2