Profile for Jo Gusto > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 82

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jo Gusto RSS Feed (Santa Cruz, CA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
XtremepowerUS 1/2 Hp Electric Water Pump
XtremepowerUS 1/2 Hp Electric Water Pump
Offered by TZSeller
Price: $33.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Very capable, heavily built pump for a very decent price! Good performance, good value!, August 27, 2014
Received this drive quickly, and immediately put it to work. You'll need to provide your own power cord, but once you hard-wire that in, you're good to go. I used this pump, with some PVC couplings and NPT-to-Hose fittings to hook up a quick-drain hottub system. It power-pumps my hot tub water out in just a matter of minutes. I think I was getting a good 400-500 GPH out of the thing. Made quick work of draining the hot tub. I would buy this handy, sturdy pump for any project requiring a clean water pump.

NEW Apple Macbook Pro 9.5mm GSA-S10N 678-0565A S10NA IDE DVDROM Superdrive Compatible for A1181 A1211 A1150 A1260 A1226
Offered by Fire Sale Price
Price: $28.99
7 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars and mistakes are easy to make, August 27, 2014
I received this drive in just a few days from the seller Fire Sale Price. Unfortunately, due to my own mistake, I could not use this drive, because it is IDE and my MBP requires a SATA drive. I requested a return/refund and the seller immediately approved the return. I would use this seller again, for sure!

When you look at your MBP model number, be sure you don't confuse "A1226" with "A1286"... the print is very small, the contrast is low, and mistakes are easy to make. That's what happened to me! The 1226 model is older, and uses IDE optical drives. The 1286 is the Mac Unibody design, at which point Apple had switched to SATA interface optical drives.

10 pcs 365buying 1838 Infrared receiver Infrared sensor IR Infrared Receiver (TL1838 VS1838B HX1838)
Offered by kevinwang20008
Price: $9.10
8 used & new from $5.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly simple to use with excellent gain and noise rejection, June 30, 2014
I hooked one of these up to my Arduino UNO using the recommended external parts to give it a nice filtered power source (just an RC filter, really) and I had a wonderful remote control capability! There are IR control libraries available which work directly with the pulse trains coming out of this little unit. I had no trouble getting it to work; I think it literally took me 15 minutes from the time I stuck it into my breadboard until I was actually decoding remote control keypad 0-9 buttons.

It seemed to have enough sensitivity to be able to pick up IR signals bounced off the walls rather than directly beamed into the receptor.

Elitech 110V All-Purpose Temperature Controller+ Sensor 2 Relay Output Thermostat Stc-1000
Offered by LERWAY Tech.
Price: $16.50
16 used & new from $12.50

2.0 out of 5 stars Clumsy programming interface, too much dead band., June 30, 2014
This unit is fine for the price, I suppose, if you don't mind the inability to keep the setpoint closer than, what is it? 0.5 deg C? That's 1 Degree F. It should be possible to set it tighter, and have control over how much "hysteresis" there is in applying the on-off thresholds. The actual programming of the unit is awkward. You have to press and hold buttons while pressing other buttons. It sometimes makes me wonder if the guys / gals who come up with the "user interface" design for these things have ever set an alarm clock or a watch, or a normal house thermostat, or similar device. They come up with the weirdest -- and completely unnecessary -- complications.

This unit will work for general purpose use, but realize it is a bang-bang (on/off) controller; a simple thermostat with no "intelligence". It does not try to anticipate the heat loss over time and make adjustments to its on-off cycle to maintain a smooth temperature profile. For that, you should get the "PID" versions which look similar but say "PID" (Proportional Integral Derivative) in their descriptions. These will do a much better job if you're trying to maintain tight control over a brewing temperature, or a cooking bath (sous vide).

ALSO: be sure you KNOW how to correctly WIRE the device! It will not provide power to the heat and cool terminals. You must do that yourself. Search for "STC-1000 wiring diagram". It's not hard, but it has fooled a few people into thinking the unit is defective.

FINALLY: do not put it somewhere where it will be exposed to moisture. For example: do not mount it inside your cooled chamber, where moisture will condense. Apparently one fellow did so and it eventually "caught fire" presumably due to the condensation.

RioRand LM2596 DC-DC Buck Converter Step Down Module Power Supply Output 1.23V-30V (1Pcs-LM2596)
Offered by NooElec
Price: $1.99
3 used & new from $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive, easy to use, works great!, June 15, 2014
I use this as a step-down in front of a 1 ohm resistor/CREE LED 3-pack light, to limit the power dissipation of the 1 ohm resistor to less than a watt. It really does a great job of handling the input voltage stepdown without hardly any heat. I should be dissipating 3 W. but it runs cool as a cucumber due to the switching mode buck conversion.

CDN DSP1 Dual Sensing Probe Thermometer and Timer
CDN DSP1 Dual Sensing Probe Thermometer and Timer
Price: $22.20
13 used & new from $18.90

3.0 out of 5 stars It works, but it's clumsy to operate and lacking in flexibility and imagination., June 15, 2014
This thermometer was purchased at a local "chef's goods" store that is generally higher-end. The sales person tried to convince me it was "top of the line" but I had to go home and look at myself in the mirror again to ask "Do I really look like that much of a chump? Does my expensive, top-of-the-line private school engineering education not shine through somehow??" :-)

Anyway, the reviewer J. Gant "Rob" said it all pretty much. Just want to reiterate his notions: why does this thing have the ability to go all the way up to 500 deg F but not have the ability to adjust the temp setpoint DOWN? If you miss your target, you must go all the way around! I like that it has oven and food sensing in one probe -- that is original. However, the unit can operate in temperature mode, or timer mode, but not both! I had a great old Taylor digital probe unit that did both, and was much easier to use and set.

I made an impulse buy, and while it "works" I miss my old Taylor and may just end up replacing this one. The one advantage this one seems to have: truly high-temperature capable. However, it remains yet to be seen how long the probe itself will last. Usually, that's the weak point in the system: the sensor element, or the insulation in the wire, will give way and then you've got to hunt up a new, compatible replacement. I'll check in later to update the probe longevity info.

TiVo Roamio Plus HD Digital Video Recorder and Streaming Media Player (TCD848000)
Price: $344.22
10 used & new from $319.89

4.0 out of 5 stars It makes TV worth watching again! On my schedule, without commercials (mostly)! Just what I want to watch!, June 14, 2014
I've been using the TiVo DVR ever since it first appeared as a Philips electronics device. Since then, I've had every model they offer. I just got the Roamio Plus and couldn't be happier with the thought of 6 shows recording at one time! I don't think I'll ever need more than that!

Long, long ago, I stopped paying attention to when my favorite shows came on... with a few exceptions of course. I just rely on TiVo to capture them for me for later viewing. I also love the integration with Netflix, so convenient!

TiVo is my one stop multimedia entertainment shop.

ESQ Movado Men's 07301422 esq Fusion Black Ion-Plated Watch
ESQ Movado Men's 07301422 esq Fusion Black Ion-Plated Watch
Price: $595.00
2 used & new from $595.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless for telling time; otherwise beautiful. Got ding'ed $100 restocking fee!, June 11, 2014
My wife bought this as a gift. It is beautiful but as others have written, you cannot see the black hands against the black background. The picture of the watch does not exemplify what it looks like under normal, realistic everyday lighting conditions. Unless you are in bright, direct sunlight, you cannot just glance a this watch and see the time.

On top of that, it was returned in perfect, as new condition, and Amazon charged over $100 as a restocking fee. This was a gift, it was purchased "early", but returned as soon as it was given, intact and in as-new condition. I fully suspect that the lowered price on this item reflects the possibility that Amazon is selling as "new" items which have been returned by customers and which have been "subsidized" by the restocking fees! If so, that's pretty terrible.

I am starting to rethink my very favorable relationship with Amazon as a result of this experience. Be very aware of the restocking fee policy before you order ANYTHING you might have to return. Wow, this is going to have a chilling effect on MY buying habits here, that's for certain.

Kinivo BTC450 Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit for Cars with Aux Input Jack (3.5 mm) - supports aptX
Offered by BlueRigger
Price: $59.99
11 used & new from $29.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect! Fantastic quality, convenient, just what the iPhone music lover ordered!, April 3, 2014
We used this device with an iPhone 5 for car music and hands-free phone calling. The audio quality is exceptional! My wife's purse was in the trunk of our Honda Civic Hybrid, and there was absolutely no issue with audio clarity, responsiveness of the controls, or signal purity and strength.

We then tried using Siri voice dial to call home. The unit has a TINY hole in the front to support a mic for the hands-free function. While the audio quality as received on our home answering machine wasn't anything close to the crisp, clear voice reception of, say, a great Plantronics headset, it was quite adequate for the purpose, which, as I see it, is to enable the occasional hands-free phone answer or quick call while you are ROCKIN' OUT! to some tunes going to/from work.

We were certain to hit pause and turn the volume all the way up to see if any noise was leaking through. The amount was negligible and certainly, for this price point, met all of my expectations.

Unless you are the most finicky audiophile, in which case you want a wire straight into your AUX jack, this unit really kicks booty in Bluetooth A2DP (AADP) mode, playing music! I am wondering if the combination of apt-X support in the iPhone and the Kinivo made any difference at all to the quality of the sound. It would be interesting to do an A/B comparison with other, non-apt-X devices, but alas, I have none such...

Oh, one more thing... the one drawback I can see is that there is just one device pairing memory supported. If you want to alternate devices, you'll have to re-pair each time you switch.

Also... there is no "off" function. If you park at home, you may end up on Bluetooth connect the whole time, unless you turn it off in your phone, or pull the cig lighter power out, OR... as was the case with us, your car powers down the cigar lighter when you turn your ignition off. That was serendipity for us, but I could see how others, who have constantly-powered cigar lighters, might see this as an annoyance.

Replacement Battery for Braun Oral-b Triumph Professional Care Toothbrush, Sanyo Ni-MH 2700 mAh, 48 mm Long, 17 mm Diameter
Offered by E Toothbrush Care
Price: $14.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect replacement for my Triumph 5000 -- but beware! Check your size...., March 5, 2014
This battery is longer than the one in the toothbrush originally, but it turns out the model I had, accomodated both the shorter and the longer size batteries. The trick is in the spring which holds the battery and motor in tension.

I removed the old battery by removing the LCD display, just as described in the You Tube video, and desoldered the battery tabs AFTER clipping off the battery leads from the other side and removing the battery. This helps because the tabs will then just fall out when the solder is completely removed.

Putting the new one in was a little tricky, to get the tabs to go into their proper holes, but patience is key here. Just observe, adjust, be patient, and it goes in just fine (after, of course trimming or folding the tab metal so it fits in the narrow holes.

Once that was all done, I cut the spring about 1/2 way, and then jammed it back into the toothbrush. A tight fit, but it works! I think Braun cheeseballed on the shorter batteries to save on cost, since the board layout is obviously for this longer size of battery.

One final tip: when first disassembling the toothbrush, the video advises to pry the plastic blue ring off the front of the toothbrush carefully. What's going on here is this: the ring is a press fit over the plastic shaft guide (the part inside which is the rotating drive shaft). The bottom of the ring, in contact with the toothbrush handle, actually is fitting inside a groove in the housing plastic, which is about 1 mm diameter smaller than the ring itself. In other words, the bottom of that ring has a ridge, and that ridge mates with a groove on the top of the housing. ALSO--> the tip of the housing is NOT ridgid plastic! It is rubbery, and has some give to it. This makes prying the ring off a bit tricky. Just try not to damage the top of the handle housing. If worst comes to worst, you'll be able to dispense with the ring on disassembly, and just use a little silicone bathtub caulk to seal up the top end after it's all put together. Nevertheless, I was able to get mine apart and put it together again without too much trouble. If you drill a 5/16" hole thru a piece of wood, you can then use that hole as a forcing tool to push the ring back over the raised ridge where it wants to snap back into place on the drive shaft housing.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9