Profile for Timothy J. Hill > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Timothy J. Hill "T. Hill" RSS Feed (Seattle, WA)

Tunesmith: Inside the Art of Songwriting
Tunesmith: Inside the Art of Songwriting
by Jimmy Webb
Price: $17.99
90 used & new from $5.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd read it long ago, March 15, 2013
This is really a phenomenal book that can serve both the experienced songwriter and the noob. I really liked his simplistic approach to chord substitutions. By dumbing down the harmonic (diatonic) implications a bit, and just giving a myriad options, I think it loosened my tie a bit. Definitely a anti-textbook approach to chromaticism. Overall, it is just a well written book that I found a joy to read. I have nothing but appreciation for Webb taking time away from creating his own masterpieces to share his approach to the craft with the rest of us.

The Definitive Dylan Songbook (Bob Dylan)
The Definitive Dylan Songbook (Bob Dylan)
by Bob Dylan
Price: $32.52
50 used & new from $4.57

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrong chords, May 10, 2010
A couple other reviewers noted that the chords here are wrong. I figured I would give the book a shot anyway, thinkin I could just transpose it or use a capo. No. I've had to pick out the correct chords and just write them in. I guess it is good ear training, but it is not why I bought the damn book. As was said before, you buy it for convenience. If you want lyrics and rhythm go ahead and buy this book, if you want to be able to play the songs approximately, but in the wrong key, buy this book. However, if you want the songs as ol' Bobby wrote 'em, this is not what you are looking for. Nor is Bob Dylan Anthology for that matter, also by Amsco. Dylan needs to cancel Amsco's rights and let Hal Leonard put out a songbook for him like they did for the Beatles. Alfred would be even better.