Profile for Joan W. Johnson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 421

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Joan W. Johnson "average reader" RSS Feed (WC, OH USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
InterDesign Forma Constant Tension Curtain Rod, 52-Inch to 90-Inch
InterDesign Forma Constant Tension Curtain Rod, 52-Inch to 90-Inch
Price: $25.20
3 used & new from $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very sturdy; I highly recommend., December 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I received this Constant Tension Curtain Rod to use to hang a curtain in a doorway that separates our den from our living room -- a room which is sometimes used for grandchildren sleeping overnight, so we needed a "door" to block light. This adjustable rod worked perfectly! I was afraid it was going to be thick, like a shower curtain rod, but it's not. It's very sturdy, however, and the curtains I made for this doorway were made of rather heavy home dec fabric, and the curtain rod holds them perfectly - never slips, even with kids pushing and pulling on the curtains as they go in and out. I highly recommend.

VELCRO Brand  - Sticky Back for Fabrics: No sewing needed - 24" x 3/4" Tape - White
VELCRO Brand - Sticky Back for Fabrics: No sewing needed - 24" x 3/4" Tape - White
Price: $8.54
10 used & new from $5.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked exceptionally well on 100% cotton., December 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I absolutely LOVE this product. It came to my rescue yesterday when sewing an item on which I could not use sew-on Velcro because the sewing lines would show on the exterior of the item. I don't care for standard adhesive Velcro strips, as they never seem to stay "stuck". But this product worked beautifully!! I used it on 100% cotton (pre-washed) and it stuck the first time and remained where I placed it. I have latched and unlatched the Velcro several times and it remains steadfastly adhered to the fabric. VERY nice. I will be using this product in many future sewing projects!!!

Sterling Silver Multi-Color Stone Key Pendant Necklace, 18"
Sterling Silver Multi-Color Stone Key Pendant Necklace, 18"
Price: $29.35

4.0 out of 5 stars Lacking in quality, but still pretty, December 9, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm on the fence on how to review this piece of jewelry. It's definitely pretty with a nice sparkle from the cubic zirconium around the circle of the "key". The larger stones also sparkle in the light. However, the chain will most definitely need to be replaced -- it's almost a shame they even include the chain with this piece. And overall, the piece just doesn't have a "quality" look to it. Amazon's description says it's Sterling Silver, but the piece definitely has more of a "costume jewelry" feel to it than that of a quality silver piece. I debated whether to give this 3 or 4 stars just because it doesn't have that quality feel I was hoping for. It might make a nice gift for an early teen - the 11 to 14 year old range.

TP-LINK Archer T2U AC600 Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter, 2.4GHz 150Mbps/5Ghz 433Mbps, Support Windows XP/7/8
Offered by America's Distributor
Price: $29.97
45 used & new from $17.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Even for a non-techie, this adapter improved wireless speeds remarkablly, December 7, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I actually got this Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter in hopes it would improve my wireless reception in my sewing room -- which is up two floors and across the house from our wireless NetGear54 Router. And it works! Before my reception was choppy at best and it was impossible to watch even the simplest videos. With this adapter I can now even stream movies while sewing! I love it. I am no tech guru and can't tell you why it works nor do I know how to measure my download and upload speeds. But I can tell you I needed better wireless reception in my sewing room and, thanks to the TP-LINK Archer T2U AC600 Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter, I now have it. Husband has his eye on it to put into one of our older pre-wireless computers, but I'm going to hide it. He can buy his own! LOL

The Nightingale
The Nightingale
by Kristin Hannah
Edition: Audio CD
Price: $30.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Best audio book I've listened to in years. Highly recommend!!!, December 4, 2014
This review is from: The Nightingale (Audio CD)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Wow. This new title from Kristin Hannah is probably the best audio book I've listened to in many, many years - and I listen to a LOT of audio books! My husband is a World War II buff, so he enjoyed the historical aspect of this work, while I was mesmerized by Hannah's amazing character development and the way she can describe things as simple as food (taste, smell) or setting, and her ability to bring these things to life for the reader. The setting of the book is World War II France during Nazi occupation, and tells the tale of the power of the French people and the French Resistance movement, and weaves in the desperation and poverty of the French people during this time. It is also a love story - the love of country, the love of family, and the love of life itself. Hannah brings it all to life and lets you feel the desperation, live in midst of the sites and sounds of both rural France and urban Paris. Narrator Polly Stone is an integral part of the experience of this audio book. Her definition of characters is amazing. Her ability to narrate the emotions of the characters is truly one of a kind. If I could give this book 10 stars, I would. I highly, highly recommend!!!

Nutri-Grain Cereal Bar Display Assortment, 1.3 Ounce, 48 count
Nutri-Grain Cereal Bar Display Assortment, 1.3 Ounce, 48 count
Price: $23.33
2 used & new from $23.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Good accompaniment for mid-morning coffee and tea, December 1, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These Nutri-Grain bars are my husband's favorite mid-morning w/coffee snack at the office. Although he eats all three flavors, blueberry is definitely his favorite. I'm not a big fan of snack bars, but these are better than most - less crunchy and more soft-bar like than the standard, nutty crunchy granola bar. The blueberry flavor seems to be the closest to "natural flavor", but the apple and strawberry have a nice, subtle flavor. Excellent with coffee or a hot cup of tea, and not TOO decadent at 120 calories and 3 grams of fat (strawberry).

Marley Coffee, Mystic Morning, 24 Count
Marley Coffee, Mystic Morning, 24 Count
Price: $15.26
5 used & new from $14.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure, clean, non-chemical tasting coffee, December 1, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love love love this coffee!! It has a very clean, bold flavor. Despite it's package that says it has spice notes, I don't detect those at all. But what I do detect is a flavorful, full-bodied coffee that is in line with Caribou or Seattle's Best dark brew coffees. It reminds me a bit of IKEA dark brew, which is probably my favorite coffee of all. Unlike some of the pricier coffees that have a chemical flavor to them, this coffee just has a very pure coffee taste. Excellent. I highly recommend.

VELCRO Brand  - Holiday ONE-WRAP Shapes - 12" x 1/2" Ties, 3ct - Bow
VELCRO Brand - Holiday ONE-WRAP Shapes - 12" x 1/2" Ties, 3ct - Bow
Price: $5.22
2 used & new from $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Better for crafts than for gifts, November 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These velcro bow/ribbon fasteners are actually a clever idea. If you have trouble with even the simplest ribbons and bows on gifts, this would be a fine replacement. Because of the size - 12 inches long - the size of the box must be small. The bow, when compared to the size of the "ribbon", is not large enough. But for decorating and Christmas craft ideas, this is an excellent product. I'm sure we'll see them all over Pinterest in the near future, with a myriad of uses! For gift wrapping, it's a bit cheesy - a stick-on bow would be better in most instances. But for decorating and craft purposes - it's full steam ahead and I can't wait to see the ideas that start popping up!

All Who Go Do Not Return: A Memoir
All Who Go Do Not Return: A Memoir
by Shulem Deen
Price: $12.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, personal, thought-provoking, November 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm not sure I've ever read such a thought-provoking and insightful book. At first I found it difficult to work my way through the Orthodox religious references and terminology, but the meat of the story is so enthralling that it was well worth the effort to work my way through. The book most definitely gives you a lot to think about, through a well-written and very personal experience by author Shulem Deen. He writes with his heart of his own experiences and relationships of growing up Hasidic here in the United States, as well as his very personal struggle with his religious beliefs and non-beliefs.

I hope at some point there is a sequel to this memoir - as I'd love to know if the author re-establishes a relationship with his children, gets re-married, and what the effects of writing ALL WHO GO DO NOT RETURN have on his daily life.

I highly recommend this thought-provoking book.

Dragon Masters #1: Rise of the Earth Dragon (A Branches Book)
Dragon Masters #1: Rise of the Earth Dragon (A Branches Book)
by Tracey West
Price: $4.00
30 used & new from $2.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect read for the 6 to 9 age group, November 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
A young boy, a dragon of his own, three new friends who have their own dragons - toss in a Wizard, some magic powers and poof! You have a wonderful story that boys ages 6 to 9 are going to love.

I gave this book to my 8 year old grandson to read and review. It took him just two evenings to read it, and his review was the best I could ask for: "Can we get Book 2 now?"

The book is well written and suitable for the given 6 to 9 group, yet written in a way that does not feel "childish" or too simple. The plot moves along nicely and keeps the young reader wanting to know "what happens next" as the story moves along. The illustrations are wonderful and suit the pages of the story beautifully.

An excellent book. I plan on buying more volumes of this DRAGON MASTERS series for my grandson for Christmas.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20