Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Profile for Colorado Climber > Reviews

Browse

Colorado Climber's Profile

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Colorado Climber RSS Feed (Colorado)

Victorinox Swiss Army Ranger with Classic Pocket Knife
Victorinox Swiss Army Ranger with Classic Pocket Knife

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect combo set!, December 4, 2010
This set is a perfect combination of a great everyday multitool and the iconic penknife from Victorinox. Your everyday uses are almost all covered. I've purchased 3 Swiss Army ranger knives in the past 10 years. One for me, one for my Dad, and one for a mentor of mine; and we all still carry and use it everyday. I'm sure everyone knows the most common key chain knife in the world (classic sd), if you don't then think of a miniature miracle worker that is ever-ready for your daily task without being combursome.

I couldn't do a better job then the review John Williamson gave this product on the Amazon page for the individual Ranger knife so I'm adding it:

"The Victorinox Swiss Army Ranger Pocket Knife is one of the more well-known models, but is more evolutionary than one might think. The current model is a good example of how well Victorinox responds to their customers' needs over the years, and the model that currently sits in my glove box is the same one that is here on these pages.

But this isn't my first Swiss Army Ranger; that was received as a gift from a Swiss photographic equipment company that I worked for in the 1980s, and it had the company logo on the handle. It was received during a trip to that country, and it differed from the current model in that it lacked the small wood chisel and the multi-purpose hook. The corkscrew was grooved, and the scissors had a small screw, which had to be replaced by getting the part from Victorinox in the '90s when it fell out.

Was advised by a Victorinox employee to put this older model away, as it had a collectible value of sorts (especially with the photo company's logo on the handle) so I did. Another interesting note about this model is that there was a special Space Shuttle version made of the Ranger, that had an inlaid image of the NASA's Space Shuttle on its handle. It differed from the Ranger here in that it had a Phillips screwdriver instead of the corkscrew, and it was retired in the early 1990s and is now a fairly scarce collector's item.

The Ranger is a standard sized Swiss Army knife (3-1/2"), and it's almost an inch thick. Some find that a bit large for carrying in a pocket, so you may wish to consider getting a Victorinox Belt Pouch to carry it. The Ranger has five rows of tools, and I won't list them all here as they're well covered in the Product Description, and most are self-explanatory... except for the hook.

The multipurpose hook tool was first introduced in the early '90s, and many wonder what it's used for. It's quite handy for carrying heavy plastic grocery bags (twist and loop them), keeping them from cutting into your fingers. It works fine with clothes on a hanger as well, and I've even used it as a plumb bob when attached to a string.

Pros:

- Excellent assortment of tools, all in one small package
- Made from high quality Swiss stainless steel
- Excellent value for the money
- Has a lifetime Warranty

Cons:

- Blades don't lock, so use with caution!

Tip: if you get one of these, spend about fifteen minutes familiarizing yourself with it, opening and closing all of the tools, and "exercising" them. Gently spray some WD-40 with the red nozzle tip into each of the joints so that they'll move freely in the field when you need them. Doing this will make it pay off with years of service for you.

If you're looking for a model that offers a few more features, you might wish to consider the Victorinox Swiss Army Champion Plus Pocket Knife, which is one that sits in my camera bag, ready to go at all times. Some might prefer the larger Victorinox Swiss Army Swiss Champ Pocket Knife because it has pliers, but I prefer the larger needle nose pliers in a regular multi-tool such as the lightweight Leatherman Kick Pocket Multi-Tool or the Gerber Suspension Butterfly Opening Multi-Plier for really getting the job done. If either of those seem too large, there's always the super compact Gerber Clutch Mini Pliers Tool, which can be carried in a pocket at all times.

Summary:

It should be noted again that all of the blades and tools are crafted from stainless steel, and it's still made entirely in Switzerland. It has a lifetime warranty from a company that know how to back it up.

This Victorinox Swiss Army Ranger is a great knife, with more than twenty stainless steel tools. It's an excellent value, and a splendid gift for just about anyone. "
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 25, 2011 8:34 AM PDT

Fenix PD20 CREE Q5 Mini LED Flashlight, Black, 180 Lumens, Uses 1 X CR123A Battery

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect light for all your needs!!!, August 11, 2009
I've now been using a Fenix flashlight in some form for the past three years and I have beat the heck out of the three I've owned during that time. Every model I own has worked perfectly since the day I bought it. I have not found another brand or technology that will produce the results that Fenix lights do. It is simply amazing and very hard to describe to someone who has only owned a Mag or Gerber flashlight.

My 1st light was the older model of the popular EO1 that Fenix currently produces. It is the easiest way to discover their potential at only $12.50, and I was very satisfied in how the flashlight compared to the mini-mag I had owned. But then I stepped up to the older model of what is now the LD01 and holy smokes! It blew me away. The different modes and features in this tiny model still has no rival as far as I know.

So that brings us to the PD20. I finally wanted to step up to a much more powerful light, but still wanted the flexibility of caring it in my pocket or backpack. Bingo! Did I ever choose a winner in this product. I'm a person who had expectations and yet again I was still put into a state of amazement. The PD20 - providing 5 different modes - is like owning 5 different flashlights. Think about all the flashlights you've purchased over time. You own one because it's small. Another because its battery lasts a long time. Yet another because you need a more powerful light. Well, let me tell you that you have it all in one here, plus the strobe and SOS features.

Victorinox Swiss Army Camper Pocket Knife with AA LED Flashlight
Victorinox Swiss Army Camper Pocket Knife with AA LED Flashlight

5.0 out of 5 stars Two Great Products!, November 30, 2008
I received this last week and absolutely love it. I did buy it for more than I see today, but like it so much that I'm buying a few as gifts.

I'm not really sure what the other reviewer was talking about when discussing the camper's wood saw. It is an extremely well reviewed feature within the family of Swiss Army products. I use mine on many trips for small cutting projects and it has held up very well for it's use.

As for the flashlight, it is a very good flashlight. I would have to say that it is at least twice as powerful as my old maglite and the red rubber grip handle is both good looking and highly functional (slip resistant).

As this "deal of the day" price, this product is a steal.

Victorinox Swiss Army One Hand Trekker with Free Classic Knife
Victorinox Swiss Army One Hand Trekker with Free Classic Knife

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful quality!, December 7, 2007
This is a great set for many reasons, but the quality of the two products in the set is tremendous. With a small pocket knife and a larger knife with more substantial features, it covers all bases. The One Handed Trekker is one of my favorite knives from the Swiss Army collection. I have one in my car and one in my hiking pack. It provides the best wood saw on a knife that is out there and the helpful feature of the one handed blade locking when it place is not only helpful buy extremely safe to its owners.

I'm not sure what has to be written about the Classic SD knife from Swiss Army. I believe everyone should have these with them at all times. Small and lightweight enough that you forget you have it, until you need it. You will be shocked how many times you will use this handy pocket tool during a day.

Victorinox Swiss Army Climber II Pocket Knife
Victorinox Swiss Army Climber II Pocket Knife
Price: $21.99
3 used & new from $17.66

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT KNIFE AT A GREAT PRICE!, September 1, 2005
[...]But true to the great brand of Victorinox, this knife is made in Switzerland with the consistent quality Victorinox has produced for over a 100 years. It also comes with a lifetime guarantee against defects. Thanks Victorinox for not letting me down. We need to count on at least one brand to remain consistent with it's quality standards.