Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Profile for ToddInSF > Reviews

Browse

ToddInSF's Profile

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

ToddInSF RSS Feed (San Francisco, CA)

The Pink Triangle: The Nazi War Against Homosexuals
The Pink Triangle: The Nazi War Against Homosexuals
by Richard Plant
Price: $15.50
118 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Jews in general from the era don't like to talk about the Adventists or the gay people ..., August 3, 2015
I read this back in '91, and bought a copy on ebay recently. It's just as I remember.

Part of this is a first hand account by a guy that was a young man when his father sent him away to save his life.

The part of this book that was most difficult for me to handle was where he described how his friends disappeared, and the letters he'd received from them describing how systemically they were rounded-up and sent to the camps, never to be heard from again.

Jews in general from the era don't like to talk about the Adventists or the gay people that died in the camps along side them. Mr. Plant makes it very clear that it was not just Jews, but Gypsies and the mentally disabled as well as Adventists and homosexuals that were systemically hunted down and murdered.

Some people might find the writing a bit dry; I attribute that to it being very difficult for people from his era to openly talk about being gay, and a need to strike a balance. It must have been very difficult for him to have been fortunate enough to have been able to flee and survive, and finding that all his friends and acquaintances had been murdered.

This book is a rarity, so don't let people con you into thinking everything in it's been done before - that's not true.

This book has haunted me for decades.

Coming Out of Shame: Transforming Gay and Lesbian Lives
Coming Out of Shame: Transforming Gay and Lesbian Lives
by Lev Raphael
Price: $19.00
76 used & new from $2.43

5.0 out of 5 stars What if everything that you thought you knew about about shame was wrong ?, July 17, 2015
I had a difficult time when a friend first handed me this book, asking for my opinion of it; despite regularly reading far more complex material, and despite having been "out" since the mid 80's.

Once I managed to push past my own internal resistance to the material, I realized why it was that I initially found it difficult.

This book profoundly changed my life an altered my perceptions of my own emotions, as well as the emotions of people around me.

So many little confounding things that I never quite "got" that happened to me in the past I finally understood. The authors do a remarkable job at showing how functional Tomkins Affect and Script Theory is, how to apply it to your everyday life, and how to learn and grow from your new awareness. Amazing job, I can not thank them enough.

I was so impacted by this work that I actually started reading Tomkins very complex Affect Imagery and Consciousness.

Though this book focuses on gay and lesbian people, it's far from restricted to them; literally anyone can get a great deal of insight from this book. Pick it up and give it a shot, you will not be sorry. It can change your life.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Eternal Treblinka: Our Treatment of Animals and the Holocaust
Eternal Treblinka: Our Treatment of Animals and the Holocaust
by Charles Patterson
Price: $14.49
88 used & new from $3.88

5.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to take this book apart from the very beginning..., August 16, 2006
A vegan roomie lent me this book, and I was reluctant to read it, but decided I would, just so that I could have the pleasure of finding the fallacies in it and have something to argue with her about.

Contrary to what another reviewer has written, this book does not EQUATE the suffering of animals with the Holocaust. It COMPARES them. Man is not a mere animal, and there is no "equality" there to speak of, and anyone who insists there is, or that there SHOULD be is just not someone that you can respect for their intelligence or ability to differentiate. But then the whole concept OF "equality" has been so hacked to death by politicization and greedy agendas over the years, it really is devoid of any meaning now.

What make this book amazing are the historical and anthropological aspects of the arguments it makes. The proposition that man has learned the qualities that are necessary to brutalize man using the necessary subjugation of animals as a model, over time, and as man transitioned from hunter-gatherer to agrarian societies is one that must not be dismissed, and should be taught to children. It had never occurred to me, and a big light went on when I realized the implications of this, from a sociological and psychological perspective.

I was VERY skeptical, but this IS a rational and compelling book, it makes sense, it isn't a whacky leftist tree-hugging PC work at all. If that's all people get out of it, well, that betrays their own childish and narrow polarizations. This book is so much more. It gives key insights into what we are as human beings, and what it is that we are actually DOING to ourselves. Really, it shows you how things are hooked together in the human psyche, what we have been, where we've gone, and where it is we may end-up.

It's disturbing too. Very. But not gratuitously so in any way. The author is morally and rationally compelled to inform and educate, and he does this with surprising clarity and tact, never coming off as preachy or judgmental, just very passionate and urgent and calm. I found myself respecting his more radical choices and frankly, forever changed. It changed me. To the core.

Give it a try, it's extremely interesting and informative at the least; at the most it is a call to change and question and transcend the past into a better, more HUMANE future.

Emergence: The Connected Lives of Ants, Brains, Cities, and Software
Emergence: The Connected Lives of Ants, Brains, Cities, and Software
by Steven Johnson
Price: $14.17
125 used & new from $0.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting and provoking, August 5, 2006
I was stunned to see so many critical reviews of this book here. Even more stunned by the criticisms. This is not a scientific treatise, and never pretends to be. This is not an introduction into the more abstract and obscure aspects of Emergence, nor is it a dry and tedious mathematical paper.

This is an interesting, graspable, exciting and intelligently written book about a phenomenon which is absolutely, positively crucial to understand. To some people Emergence is a particular abstract in a particular field - those people were disappointed and found this "light reading" - which is really too bad, because they are the ones who NEED this book the most. Alas, we can expect it to be a while before these "scientist" can look outside their own shallow mud-puddles of their over-specialties to see how applicable emergent theory is to the world we are immersed in, both natural and man-made.

If you didn't find this book exciting, you didn't read it. Sit down and read it without distraction and prejudice. Let Johnson do what he does best; take you on a journey of ideas and concepts. Sure, some of it is simplified for the lay-reader, but anybody who isn't a total couch-potato is going to find the content interesting enough to set-out and search for details on their own. It isn't Johnson's goal to elaborate on some trivial and fragmentary specialty that only people with masters degrees and secured positions in academia could possibly enjoy or tolerate.

His goal is to show what emergence IS and why it is SO important, how vast the concepts are in their potential application in every imaginable field, and how elegant, simple, complex, chaotic, and BEAUTIFUL emergence IS !

And he does exactly this quite well. If you read this book and are not excited, you didn't get it. Read it again. And again. Look up the examples of emergence, and try to actually find your own examples of emergence in YOUR world, in YOUR daily experience. The enrichment you'll gain from it will be worth a lot more than any silly over-specialty in an obscure field of research that nobody has ever heard

The Death and Life of Great American Cities (Modern Library Series)
The Death and Life of Great American Cities (Modern Library Series)
by Jane Jacobs
61 used & new from $1.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless and Brilliant, August 5, 2006
I first heard of this book referenced in Steven Johnson's "Emergence". I asked a friend if he'd heard of it, and the next thing I knew, I was being sent home with his copy with an assignment !

I just couldn't put it down. This isn't some abstract theoretical snotty work by an academia - this is an inspired and thorough examination of what makes a neighborhood functional, and what destroys that functionality. So much of what Jane Jacobs has to say is so common-sensual, it makes you wonder how on earth the central planners managed to wrest so much authority and control from the public.

Her observations and critiques are even more relevant today, and most of her predictions have been born out since the initial puiblication of this work back in '61.

But what moved me the most about this book was Jane's amazing sharp ability to observe and document and understand what is going on in the street. Again, this is not a book written by some dead old intellectual that lives in an upscale, isolated neighborhood you and I will never live in. This is a book written by a woman who loves her home and her neighborhood and the people in it.

What makes a street safe ? What makes it unsafe ? What is the function of the sidewalk ? How do people use the street and the landmarks in their neighborhood ? What do major landmarks DO to a neighborhood ? The answers to these questions will probably surprise you.

Real Sock Ray Blue
Real Sock Ray Blue
Price: $13.99
38 used & new from $4.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Mojo's Still Got It !, December 12, 2004
This review is from: Real Sock Ray Blue (Audio CD)
Woah, I picked this up not expecting too much, and was just amazed ! Mojo just gets better with age. His trademark rockabilly sound with funny, inflamatory, and very clever lyrics is much smoother and refined than back in the "Burn Down The Malls" days. And thankfully, just as, if not more, irreverent.

Some people classify this as Comedy. Not that it isn't funny, but Mojo is so much more. He's COOL AND smart AND hillbilly/redneck AND Rockin' AND a voice yellin' out for justice.

"Drunk, Divorced Floozy", "You Can't But Cool", "Tankman Blues", "Orenthall James[Was A Mighty Bad Man]", all just awsome songs.

But there's more. The last song is so un-Mojo, so personal and *intimate* and introspective. Wow. This is the Mojo deep-down that we've never really seen. And I like it.