Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Profile for John T. > Reviews

Browse

John T.'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 18

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

John T. RSS Feed (Los Angeles, CA)

Page: 1 | 2
Dickies Men's Performance 11 Inch Flex Cargo Short, Smoke/Black Plaid, 30
Dickies Men's Performance 11 Inch Flex Cargo Short, Smoke/Black Plaid, 30
Price: $21.39
4 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite shorts!, May 12, 2016
These are my favorite shorts! They do it all. I've worn them working, hiking, biking, and hanging out around the house. They're comfortable, durable, and my wife says they look great, and I should get more than the two I already have. They don't look as casual as any of my other cargo shorts.

I bought a 34", and they fit like most of my other pants. I have some Dickies that run small in the waist, but these didn't.

The material and construction seem good. The button at the waist isn't sewn; it's a rivet. There's a lot of stitching, and it all seems to be holding up well. It's one weakness might be the zipper, which feels just a little cheap, but it's held up great so far. The material is a performance fabric, but it feels like it has a little weight and texture to it, unlike my Under Armour shirts. The color hasn't faded at all, and it has been resistant to stains. The spandex adds just a little stretch, but not enough to make things in the pockets feel unstable.

There are 6 pockets. The two cargo pockets have small gussets on the bottom, but not on the sides, so they don't puff out. Their flaps have Velcro at both corners, so they won't curl up. The front pockets are pretty deep with fairly large openings. The rear pockets don't have flaps, but the left has a button.

Summer's coming. Maybe my wife's right. Maybe I should grab another pair or two while I can!

Sterilite 29308001 Wide 3 Drawer Cart, White Frame with Clear Drawers and Black Casters, 1-Pack
Price: $17.88
80 used & new from $17.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Good enough, but a little flexy. Translucence is nice., January 14, 2016
It's okay. I'm happy with the value. I think I paid under $18. I've been using it for a couple weeks. The material flexes a bit more than I'd like, but it should be fine for my use. The piece above the bottom drawer sags a little, so I have to lift it slightly if I want to close the drawer completely. No big deal. The others close fine. I didn't install the wheels or even open the package, so I can't speak to their quality.

I put this unit in my clothes closet, stacked on top of a larger wood dresser. It's a little small, but adequate. I put a variety of shirts inside, from light weight performance stuff to waffle-weave thermals. Folded, I fit two stacks of shirts side by side. I think the thermals are about 4 high, more for my thinnest ones.

I like the translucent material. It allows me to see which type of shirt is in which drawer before opening it. I put thermals all in one drawer, long sleeve tees in another, and performance fabric tees in the third. I don't get at these every day, so I haven't memorized which is which yet. I keep the things I use more often in the sturdier wood dresser.

Nite Ize SBP4-03-01BG S-Biner Plastic Size-4 Double Gated Carabiner, Black with Black gates
Offered by Stealth Rabbit
Price: $4.76
76 used & new from $1.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Works nicely on my belt loop., January 12, 2016
I love this size 4 Plasitc S-Biner! It's large size makes it easy to clip and unclip from my belt loop. I use it to keep a multitool handy without having it sit at the bottom of a pocket.

I have a smaller, metal S-Biner that I use for my keys. I think it's a size 2. It's smaller size makes it a little harder to clip and unclip, but I often put my keys in my pocket, and the size 2 fits there much better than the size 4. The size 4 would fit okay, but it'd take up more room than I'd like.

Gear Beast Apple MFi Certified 6 feet Lightning to USB Charge and Sync Cable for iPhone SE, 6, 6s, 6 Plus, 6s Plus, 5, 5s, 5c, iPad 4, iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5/6, Nano 7
Offered by Gear Beast
Price: $9.99
7 used & new from $3.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Fits Lifeproof Fre Case for iPhone 5S., January 12, 2016
I like this Gear Beast Lightning Cable. So far so good. No complaints. Fits my Lifeproof Fre Case for iPhone 5S.

If I remember correctly, the original Apple cable had a softer feel to it than this cable, but it doesn't have the hard, plasticy feel that my wife's Amazon Basics cable has. I don't mind the harder feel, but my wife's cable didn't fit my case.

Keychain Pocket Clip Key Ring Holder - Eliminates Pocket Bulge. Small but Strong.
Offered by Clarian Inc.
Price: $6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Small, light, tight, and mostly okay., December 7, 2015
I bought this Keychain Pocket Clip Key Ring Holder by Clarian, because sometimes, my keys feel bulky and heavy sitting at the bottom of my pocket. I clip this to the opening and hang the keys inside the pocket. It works well for me most of the time, but not always, so I'd rate it as just "okay".

The clip is small and light, so I barely notice it when not in use. It's about 1 5/8" long, not including the ring, which is tiny and meant to be connected to a larger ring. The clip clamps to the material of my pockets pretty tightly. In the 2+ months that I've been using it, I don't think I've ever had it unclip itself. It's too tight to clip to a belt.

I have some jeans that are pretty thick, and the clip is a little hard to get on and off of them. I haven't tried bending it to loosen the clip, but I might when the weather gets colder and I wear heavy clothes more often. Also, I have some Dickies that are a little bit of an issue. They have vertical front pocket openings, and the clip wants to hang vertically. This combo is a little awkward, but not a big deal. Most of my other pants work just fine with the clip.

By the way, I only hang about 7 keys, but I also have a Leatherman Squirt multitool and a GUS Mini Pill Fob, so there's a fair amount of weight.

Hakko CHP-170 Micro Soft Wire Cutter, 1.5mm Stand-off, Flush Cut, 2.5mm Hardened Carbon Steel Construction, 21-Degree Angled Jaw, 8mm Jaw Length, 16 Gauge Maximum Cutting Capacity
Price: $4.97
23 used & new from $4.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for zip ties., December 7, 2015
We use this little tool primarily for flush-cutting zip ties, and it's great for that purpose. When you use a scissor-type cutter, you usually leave a little nub that often has sharp corners that can scratch skin or snag on clothes. This cutter cuts closer because it pinches rather than crossing blades, and the handles angle from the cut line, making it less likely that your big fingers will get in the way. At less than $5, it's a great value!

AmazonBasics Apple Certified Lightning to USB Cable - 6 Feet (1.8 Meters) - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Didn't fit my Lifeproof Case., December 7, 2015
This AmazonBasics Lightning Cable didn't fit my Lifeproof Fre Case for iPhone 5S. I bought it for my wife, though, so that's fine.

The cable seems sturdy enough. We've been using it for about 8 months now. It's one of several that we have spread between home and work, so it doesn't see daily use. It's probably been used about twice per week. It's not as flexible as the stock Apple cable. The insulation feels harder and a little thicker. I'm not sure I like that, but if makes it more durable, I guess it would be worth it.

AmazonBasics Apple Certified Retractable Lightning to USB Cable - 2 Feet (0.6 Meters) - White
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits my Lifeproof case., December 7, 2015
I bought this AmazonBasics Retractable Lightning Cable at the same time as an non-retractable AmazonBasics cable. This one fits my Lifeproof Fre Case for iPhone 5S, but the other doesn't. Both were purchased for my wife, who has some kind of soft case, and they're both fine for her.

The cable seems sturdy as does the retracting mechanism. We've had it for about 8 months now, and it's held up great, but it's not used all the time. My wife keeps it in her purse in case she needs to charge while out and about. I'd guess she uses it maybe once or twice per week.

HAMIST NOS Bottle Keychain Keyring Nitrous Pill Stash Box Silver
HAMIST NOS Bottle Keychain Keyring Nitrous Pill Stash Box Silver

2.0 out of 5 stars but it wasn't completely useless, so I'm giving it two stars, October 23, 2015
I had several things go wrong with this product, but it wasn't completely useless, so I'm giving it two stars. I got almost three months of use out of it. I didn't look into the warranty. I don't really want a replacement.

I was looking for a small pill holder keychain when I came across the NOS Bottle Keychain. I chose it over other brands, because it was cheap, and I'm a car guy, so the NOS theme caught my eye.

When it arrived, I noticed the keyring was fairly large, and so the bottle turned out to be a little bigger than it looked in the photo. Sorry, I don't have the bottle with me, and I don't have measurements. The "valve" on top of the bottle also turned out to be a little more wasted space than I thought it would be. It was still pretty small, and the overall size was fine for my needs, so I put it into use.

Before using the bottle, I cleaned it. Inside was a tinhy glob of some kind of hard resin or something that I couldn't remove. I decided to try to pretend it wasn't there... and mostly succeeded.

So, what went wrong? Well, the deal-breaker for me was when the nozzle broke off of the bottle, separating the bottle from the keychain. I might have been able to glue it back together, but it seemed like it would be prone to breaking again, so I didn't bother. Before this, at least twice, the links on the end of the chain opened up. I have a micro multitool on my keychain, and the pliers fixed the links easily. I worried about metal fatigue, but they held okay. Once or twice, the bottle came unscrewed, but that could have been user error. I don't remember whether there was an o-ring. During the three months I owned it, I opened the bottle maybe 8 or 9 times.

I'm not sure what made it break. It broke in my pocket. I have a fair amount of stuff on my keychain (multitool, remember?), so maybe it was subjected to more stress than it would be in your case. I'm moving on to something a little tougher with less style for close to triple the price.

Ibera Easy Utility Bicycle Stand IB-ST2
Ibera Easy Utility Bicycle Stand IB-ST2
Offered by BikepakUSA
Price: $18.99
44 used & new from $18.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great with Pedego e-bikes., November 7, 2014
UPDATE DEC. 22, 2014: Below, I say that the width of the stand isn't variable, but I was mistaken. There is a maybe an inch or so of adjustability. I've used it a couple more times with no problems.

I picked up this Ibera stand mostly to work on Pedego electric bikes. They're heavier than typical pedal only bikes, so lifting them up onto a regular work stand is awkward. I test fit a couple of models, and they seem okay. Positioning the bikes was a little tricky as lowering them on the stand required maneuvering to avoid the chain on one side and the kickstand on the other. By the way, I tried the Pedegos with single side kickstands, not the double stands that some models have.

I saw a reviewer state that this stand fits his 29er. I tested it on a Pedego Trail Tracker fat tire bike, and it works. I had to narrow the angle between the front and back legs to bring the height up a bit, but it still seemed stable enough. The nominal tire size is 26" x 4". The height was also fine for the 28" Pedego City Commuter. I'll try it on other Pedegos and report back if there's a problem.

The width of the stand isn't variable, but if your chainstays are closer together, you can rotate it, moving the left forward and the right backward, or vice versa, which brings the brackets closer to the centerline of the bike. The brackets pivot making this easier.

I haven't done any work on a bike while on the stand, but it seems strong enough. It won't support your weight, of course, but the bike didn't move too much while my hand spun the pedals.

Oh, I suppose it's worth mentioning that there were no instructions, although most people probably won't miss them.

Why didn't I give it 5 stars? I guess because I like it, not love it. We'll see how it holds up to real use.

Page: 1 | 2