Profile for S. Elliott > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. Elliott "Slide Fan" RSS Feed (Denver, CO USA)

Mississippi Blues
Mississippi Blues
Offered by cdgiveaways
Price: $9.61
30 used & new from $5.03

1.0 out of 5 stars Re-Re-release, October 31, 2010
This review is from: Mississippi Blues (Audio CD)
This was originally released as "The Crazy Cajun Sessions" and a few years later as "Prodigal Son". Same albums. The music itself is good, but it is pretty sneaky of Fuel to try and trick the Sonny fans of this world by repackaging the material. (Dean Koontz anyone?) On a side note, the Crazy Cajun series of albums is a terrific way to discover some early works of other musicians, Not just sonny, but Delbert McClinton, Ronnie Milsap, and others recorded at the Crazy Cajun and these early gems are pretty darn good.

Let the Right One In: A Novel
Let the Right One In: A Novel
by John Ajvide Lindqvist
Price: $12.16
230 used & new from $0.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Tell me I can come in, August 13, 2009
If you have already seen the movie, there are enough differences in the book to make reading it more than worthwhile. The comparisons between bullying,sexual abuse of children, and vampirism will stay with you long after you finish reading this book. I had to keep reading to find out what happened next, but was very disturbed as the events unfolded. Unlike the movie, you are given some of Eli's history, as well as that of her "Father". The final meetings between these two are among the most disturbing scenes I have ever read.

Quiet In My Town
Quiet In My Town

4.0 out of 5 stars You Can't Have Me, June 30, 2009
This review is from: Quiet In My Town (MP3 Music)
The song "Letters From the Sky" is the song played during the Cal and cloe death scene on "Harper's Island. I know it is just a show, but when cloe let go of the rail and fell to her demise, just as the line "Never fall away" started up, was a great piece of editing.

Little Wild One
Little Wild One
Price: $13.48
60 used & new from $0.32

4.0 out of 5 stars What a great album, September 11, 2008
This review is from: Little Wild One (Audio CD)
I am a huge John Hiatt fan. What's that got to do with this album you ask?
Joan opened for John Hiatt in Boulder a couple nights ago. All I knew from her was her first album with the song "One of Us." (You know, the theme to "Joan of Arcadia") Anyway, she blew me away, as well as everyone else in the audience. (One even shouted she should be president, but I digress) I went to the table and immediately bought this album, and wished I had the income to purchase the rest.
As far as this album goes, my favorite track is "Cathedrals" or "Rodeo".
She has a terrific voice, and, for the first time, I was sorry when the opener for John Hiatt had to leave the stage. (On a side note, JH's concert was pretty darn good.)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 8, 2008 8:03 AM PST

A Face in the Crowd
A Face in the Crowd
DVD ~ Andy Griffith
Price: $13.36
71 used & new from $7.77

5.0 out of 5 stars What could have been?, June 18, 2008
This review is from: A Face in the Crowd (DVD)
Not expecting such a ruthless character played by Andy Griffith, I was expecting a hard time "suspending belief".
The first time you see Larry "Lonesome" Rhodes in this movie, he is snarling, angry, and ready to lash out. He spends the rest of the movie trying to keep that part of his persona hidden. It comes out, usually in front of Marcia (Patricia O'Neal). "Aww, I was only kiddin' "
She believes him. We, the viewers, know better.
He has a disdain for people, and only cares for himself. Yet when he smiles and goes into his "Aw Shucks" mode you forget how evil he is.
I love the part where Paricia Neal says he was a hit on her radio show. He turns his head and spits.
His singing (Especially in the jail) is raw and sexual. Now, when I see Andy Taylor, I wonder how much he must despise Opie, or if he ridicules Aunt Bea when she is out of earshot.

He is definately worthy of all the adulation he gets from his TV work, but, I wonder how his career may have worked out if he passed on "The Andy Griffith Show" and stuck with movies.

From the Reach
From the Reach
Price: $16.98
49 used & new from $5.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Starts great, then gets better, May 22, 2008
This review is from: From the Reach (Audio CD)
I love the interplay between Mark Knopflers guitar and Sonny's slide work on "Blue Tarp Blues". I first heard it and thought that there was no way that the album could get any better.
Not that every song is better than the next, but there is not a dud on the entire CD.
The best tune is "Milky Way Blues"
An instrumental that just twists and turns and when it ends you are out of breath. I see this as a concert ending freestyle jam someday.

This is a great CD.