Profile for Kathie @First Page to the Last Book Reviews > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 383

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kathie @First Page to the Last Book Reviews "Kathie @First Page to the Last Book Reviews" RSS Feed (Reading a book)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Count Your Blessings: A Novella
Count Your Blessings: A Novella
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED THIS!, May 19, 2015
Such a charming lead in to Ms. Sala's new series. I loved getting to know Blessings and it's funny, sweet, sad, snarky people.

Falling For His Best Friend (Entangled Brazen) (Out of Uniform)
Falling For His Best Friend (Entangled Brazen) (Out of Uniform)
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Friends to Lovers!, May 19, 2015
I like the best friend to lovers trope, and Ms. Robert did an excellent job with it here. Drew and Avery have been close for years. There was that one moment where they almost took their relationship beyond friends, but they were both worried about losing their friendship if it didn't work out. So they let the moment pass.

Now that Avery is taking steps to have a baby, without benefit of a relationship, Drew can't stand the idea. There is no way he's going to let her do this alone. He's also not on board with her finding some random guy to father the child she so desperately wants. He'll do the honors...and scratch that itch that always festered where she's concerned.

I do enjoy watching friends turn into lovers, and this one was lots of fun. I also found myself really MAD. Avery's very traditional Grandfather was horrible! Truly awful. I sincerely hope Drew was right and Grandma reads him the riot act. There will be another book in this series (Out of Uniform), I'm sure, and I hope we get to see him get his behind handed to him.

If you've never read Ms. Robert before, you're in for a treat. I recommend this to those that enjoy contemporary romance.

Thank you, Entangled and Netgalley, for the opportunity to read this book.

The Scoundrel and the Debutante (The Cabot Sisters)
The Scoundrel and the Debutante (The Cabot Sisters)
Offered by Harlequin Digital Sales Corp.
Price: $7.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had liked it more., May 6, 2015
Goodness, this book made me nuts. I did finish it, but was not fond at all. If you like characters who constantly fall into predicaments because of making bad choices, then you may like it very much. I do realize that not every book is written for every reader, and that has to be the case here.

First, Prudence has had two seasons. How can she still be considered a debutante?

deb·u·tante
ˈdebyəˌtänt/
noun
an upper-class young woman making her first appearance in fashionable society.

Second, she has reached the end of her patience. She is not married, has no prospects, and is pretty much blaming her sisters for their wild schemes for putting her on the shelf by virtue of the scandals they have both brought upon the family. She is incredibly whiny to begin with. And she keeps mentioning how she has been the good girl, always obeying the rules. So, after kissing Roan at some point, she mentions having kissed someone else. When would that have happened? She's been a wallflower because of her sisters since her come out!

Once she decides to step away from that role, by riding on a coach so she can keep her eyes on the gorgeous Roan, she never steps back into the good girl role. One mishap after another, brought about by her bad choices, and Roan's, too, mean that the scandals her sisters created might be considered pale compared to hers.

Roan is an American. He is in England to drag his sister back to her betrothed in New York. He is quite thrilled and flattered when he realizes Prudence has followed him because she likes him.

There were many people and situations that didn't work for the times. Roan's aunt and uncle have just left his sister in some strangers' hands. She only wanted to stay an extra month. Why didn't they stay with her?

Time lines: It took the aunt and uncle 40 days (about) to get back to NY. Then it took Roan about that long to get back to England. So...80 days when Aurora was "on her own." Really?

Prudence's sisters and her step-brother. Okay, they all married well. Why didn't they trot some nice young men around so that Prudence could choose one? None of them did anything to help her find a husband. Weird.

Sigh. I wish I had liked it more. It felt too contemporary, instead of historical. And too many mishaps just made it feel cluttered and overwrought. So many other reviewers have loved this, so this has to be a case of this book not being written for me.

I do thank Harlequin and Netgalley for the opportunity to read this book.

Her Wild Hero (X-Ops Book 3)
Her Wild Hero (X-Ops Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Love those bear shifters!, May 6, 2015
I haven't read the earlier books in the X-Ops Series, but this book, while having recurring characters, stands on its own. There is an ongoing arc that wasn't resolved here, but should be at some point in the series.

I really do enjoy shifter stories, and Declan as a bear was a joy to read. And I love his name, too.

My "quibble" first. Kendra had sex with another guy from the team. Someone she had been crushing on forever. He finally asks her out, they have sex, and realize they had no chemistry. What? AFTER they had sex they had NO chemistry? They didn't notice the lack when they first kissed or groped in a prelude to sex? Maybe they had sex before the author decided to put Kendra with Declan? No clue, but it didn't add to the story IMHO. And I kept thinking it was going to come back and bite the new couple in the butt. A date and a kiss would have been enough, again IMHO.

Okay, enough of that. Kendra has been given a "treat", sort of. She's been begging to go on a mission, and she finally gets to go on this one since it's supposed to be "easy". Uh oh! Asking the fates to put a BAD spin on it...lol.

As they start out, she realizes that she really is digging Declan. He's pretty nice looking, and he's HUGE. Thankfully for her, when the bad stuff starts happening, it's practically written in his DNA to protect her. For his part, he's shocked and pleased at how well she can adapt and help herself, too. She knows her way around guns and she sure isn't whining about the circumstances they find themselves in. The descriptions of the jungle practically had me itching. I'm glad the author didn't mention snakes and spiders, although I kept wondering if they were going to come up against some creepy crawlies. Of course, the nasty hybrids that were after them were certainly icky enough!

There was a LOT of action here. Especially when they finally gave into their attraction to each other ;) ! But there was also plenty of chases, fights, and UH OH moments as they tried to get back to their team members.

Rollicking good fun if your thing is PNR with spies, mystery and suspense.

*Thank you, Netgalley and Sourcebooks ~ Casablanca, for the opportunity to read this book.

Ask the Dark
Ask the Dark
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping tale, April 29, 2015
This review is from: Ask the Dark (Kindle Edition)
I picked this up because the blurb was pretty gripping. You know from the first chapter that Billy is going to survive, and I was glad to know it as there are some really intense, hard moments for this young guy to survive. I'm putting a trigger warning here. While we don't see the rapes of several young men, it is alluded to. There is also a lot of swearing, and while Billy tends to apologize for it, the words are still there. This is rated YA, and I'm sure most teens have read these words before, but do be aware.

This book is written as if Billy is telling us the story in the here and now, with grammar errors, odd phrasing, and rather weird spellings. It took me a long time to get into the flow of the story because of this. I thought about putting it down many times, then would tell myself to just finish it. Finally did, mainly because I needed to find out how Billy put all the clues together.

Because that's what he did. Billy is out and about in the town a lot. He's got his eyes open, mostly because there are a few other kids that have it out for him, and want to beat him up. Billy hadn't been a good boy all that long. He used to just do "stuff" for the heck of it. And people called him on it. A promise to his dying mom and issues with his dad made him try to toe the line. It was a hard line for him, too. When boys start disappearing, he starts putting the clues together about the missing boys.

I rooted for Billy. And I worried about him. Still wanted to take my editor's pen to his words. I think the "style" here took away some of the tension of the tale. But I still wanted to see him become a hero, and he did, even when it was hard for him. The story unfolds over the course of months, and sometimes it felt like the author was just moving time along.

An interesting debut novel for the author. Will be interested to see what he comes up with next.

Thank you, Clarion Books and NetGalley, for the opportunity to read this book.

Second Helpings at the Serve You Right Café
Second Helpings at the Serve You Right Café
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 stars for this wonderful short story, April 27, 2015
This short story kept me on the edge of my seat. And it made me hungry, too. Emet works for Eden Rose at the Serve You Right Cafe. The pastries made me drool. I think Ms. Jacobs could write a second book that just contained the recipes for the goodies in this one.

Emet has only been out of prison for a month. He has spent the last ten years in jail for manslaughter. Eden Rose feels everyone deserves a second chance and Emet is an extraordinary baker so she hires him. When we first meet these two, Emet has asked Mercy (a woman he met out and about) out on a date, and she said yes.

While Emet, Mercy and Eden are central to the plot, there are a lot of secondary characters that make this a lovely read, including an elderly couple who live in the park. Ms. Jacobs writes in an author's note at the end of the book that she had all these little stories in her head and when she drove by a coffee house one day, they all came together in a fictional coffee shop in her head. I liked many of these characters, so I'm glad it gelled!

Mercy's twin brother, Clay, is everything she's not. She's driven, kind, smart, and sweet. He is not. After their mother is moved into a home, he knows that Mercy is on her way out, too. He can't stand that. He deserves to be catered to, taken care of, fed, and housed, or at least that's what his stoned brains are telling him. When he sees she really is going, he decides to do everything in his power to make her stay. To say he is delusional would be an understatement. And his conniving, violent, and evil ways kept me on the edge of my seat.

There were some truly wonderful lines in this book. Here are a couple:

Emet smiled at her. "Do you ever get tired of being right?"

"Never. It's a constant thrill."

~!~!~!~!~!~

"Everyone has a past," he said. "And no one has the future. We all have now, and right now, I like what I see."

~!~!~!~!~!~

"I live for the midnight info-dump. In fact, when I got up this morning I said to my cats, 'You know what's missing in my life? A late-night confessional to curl my toes."

~!~!~!~!~!~

"Do you always go shopping at the Crazy Store? It sounds like you bought out their entire stock."

~!~!~!~!~!~

There were many cute moments (along with the TENSION) in this one. And while it's short, it still has all the things I want in a novella: A beginning, middle and an end! I will definitely be looking for more from this author.

Thank you, Linden Tree Press and NetGalley, for the opportunity to read this book.

The Mistake (Entangled Scandalous)
The Mistake (Entangled Scandalous)
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved Adam..., April 14, 2015
While this is the fourth book in the series, it can be read as a standalone. I do appreciate that!

This is a quick read, but doesn't lack a beginning, middle or end. Julia is pregnant and is not fond of her protector at all. She realizes his charm at the beginning of their contract was all a facade. She'd walk away, but she has the child to consider. While I didn't understand her choices to begin with, as the author showed us the past, it made sense. There really weren't a lot of choices for women who were left alone during this time frame.

Adam was her friend in their young years and his heart was taken by her. He's not happy she left and was shocked when he found her a little later. Later he realizes she left for them. Now that she's back where he can see her, he intends to fight for the right to do so. As head gardener, though, he's not sure he has enough to recommend himself.

Personally, I thought Adam was charming! And sweet. And kind. And sexy. Julia thinks so, too.

They have to get past her protector first, and I had worries about that.

All in all, a nice, enjoyable read. I'll be looking for more from this author.

Thank you, Netgalley and Entangled, for the opportunity to read this book.

Bite at First Sight (Scandals with Bite)
Bite at First Sight (Scandals with Bite)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun!, April 7, 2015
I could hardly wait to get this one in my hands! I've thoroughly enjoyed the first books in the Scandals with Bite Series. I really wanted to see Rafael find his own HEA. When he finds someone robbing graves near a local vampire hangout, he just knows it's a vampire hunter. He's very taken aback when he realizes it's the beautiful woman he's been intrigued by. He's also pretty shocked to find that she's a doctor in training. Well, she's learning mostly on her own as woman aren't allowed to be doctors at that time.

He takes her prisoner, but she demands a lot from him. To his surprise, he usually lets her get her way. She really wants to see if she can help him regain use of his arm. Sunshine is no friend to Ms. Ann's vampires and he bears the scars to prove it. The doctor in Cassandra wants to help him. They agree to a bargain. She'll experiment on him and he'll take kisses for his payment. And what wonderful kisses they are!

We all know who the bad guys are...and I was really looking forward to seeing them get the slaps they so badly deserve. I also wanted to see Rafe find some love for himself, and Cassandra needed that comfort, too.

With kisses as payment, experiments, kidnappings, and a battle at midnight, this book was a really fun read. You don't have to read the others in the series, but I bet you'll want to! Now, I really want more of this world. It's really delightful.

Thank you, NetGalley and Sourcebooks Casablanca, for giving me the opportunity to read One Bite Per Night.

Kiss the Earl (Geek Girls)
Kiss the Earl (Geek Girls)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fish (or girl) out of water!, April 7, 2015
I haven't read the other stories in this series, The Geek Girls, but I was quickly caught up in the action. I guessed that Ella knew the woman with the mirror from the previous stories and that turned out to be true.

I'm going to give my "quibbles" first. When Patrick grabs Ella and flings her on the back of his horse, AFTER knocking her out, it's weird. The actions, including him pawing through his saddle bag to get a bit of thin leather to tie her hands in front of him, while they are galloping away from the constables...well, that just wouldn't work. I have horses. I ride. It wouldn't work. Then when she flings herself off the horse, taking him with her, while her hands are still tied in front of him...well, I'm pretty sure they would have broken a lot of bones when they landed, even if it was in a ditch! Then later, when a drop of rain falls on Bacon's neck (he's a horse), he snorts in response. Nope, he wouldn't have noticed one single drop of rain. A deluge, yes...but a couple drops? No. So...the horse stuff just didn't work for me, at all.

Also, while Ella was from contemporary times, her speech patterns were fine when she was back in history. But Patrick thought and spoke in contemporary ways long before he got to know her. I'm pretty sure it would be difficult to keep both characters in the right mental frame, but it was quite jarring when Patrick spoke/thought with a contemporary twist.

I did enjoy their banter and their getting to know each other. He was pretty accepting of the fact that she was from the future. He did enjoy her clothes, that's for sure. I kept thinking his friend, the one he thought Ella was when he "kidnapped" her, was a bit naive and deserving of a bit more "comeuppance" for all the drama.

The "fish out of water" trope was enjoyable. At least Ella had been back in time before, so it wasn't QUITE the shock it might have been. I was impressed with Patrick.This contemporary woman threw him for a loop, but he tried his best to keep up. This was a sassy little read.

3.5 Stars

Thank you, NetGalley and Sourcebooks Casablanca, for the opportunity to read this book.

The Duke's Disaster (True Gentlemen)
The Duke's Disaster (True Gentlemen)
Price: $7.19

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED LOVED LOVED this, April 7, 2015
This was wonderful. I started it, thinking I'd read just a couple pages...yeah, right. I finished it in two days. While Ms. Burrowes has written a huge stack of books, they are all different. I don't start reading and thinking, "Gosh, she's done THIS before." Nope...all different.

This one starts right off with Noah having been set aside by the giddy, young thing he's been wooing, and, since he needs a wife, he immediately asks her companion, Lady Thea, to wed him. A week later, the deed is done. Neither has a strong love for the other, although they find each other to be attractive, and while he says he's not "nice", she thinks he just may be. At least the kiss she asked for was more than nice! What pushed her into agreeing to wed him was the marriage contract. Her young sister will be safe and will have Thea's backing as a duchess to see her through life. Safety was her first concern.

Their wedding night is stopped in its tracks by a confession. While we know things will eventually be smoothed over (otherwise, why would we read these books, you know?) it's the getting there that kept me reading (when I should have been editing!).

There are plenty of "bad guys" here, and I was kept wondering who had really done the "baddest thing".

There are also plenty of "good guys". Noah's brother, brothers-in-law, his ex-mistress, his sisters, his horticulturist! And Thea. Well, she has a backbone of steel, and determination to rise above. I liked her very much. He did buy the precious little girls ponies, and large ones at that. Thankfully, Harlan steered him that way. I'm actually thinking that Darius might have to share his spot on my favorites list with Noah. And that's saying something!

You see I mentioned an ex-mistress? No worries. She does not cavort with married men. And Noah, well, he just wouldn't do that to his wife. No cheating here!

While I have recently enjoyed this author's new contemporary series, I truly loved revisiting her historical voice. Well done!

FIVE BOOKMARKs from me!

*Thank you, NetGalley and Sourcebooks, for the opportunity to read this book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20