Profile for Doggie Lover > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Doggie Lover RSS Feed (San Diego)

Page: 1 | 2
Doc Martin Theme
Doc Martin Theme
Price: $0.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Theme to Doc Martin, October 9, 2013
This review is from: Doc Martin Theme (MP3 Music)
I've fallen in love with Martin Clunes, and the Doc Martin series and I am eagerly awaiting season 6. The theme music, by Colin Towns is wonderful, with a very catchy, soothing yet almost haunting tone to it. Every time I hear this music, I know I'm in store for another heart warming, quirky, delightfully funny, and romantic episode of Doc Martin.

Sense & Sensibility (Special Edition)
Sense & Sensibility (Special Edition)
DVD ~ Emma Thompson
Price: $8.58
209 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Bewitched Mind, Ensnared Sense and Sensibility, May 18, 2008
After having had my mind bewitched and my senses ensnared by Alan Rickman after watching him in the Harry Potter movies I started looking up Rickman clips on YouTube and then I decided that I needed my own collection of Alan Rickman movies. Sense and Sensibility is the first AR film I've purchased. It is glorious and beautiful and most likely the most perfect example of a Rickman movie, save for Harry Potter. The whole movie is wonderful and I've watched it several times already. Emma Thompson and Ang Lee did everything so perfectly that I cannot find fault with this movie. It is everything a romantic English drama should be and all of the actors were perfectly cast. Of course my favorite is Alan Rickman, but I loved the chemistry and dynamics between all of the principals. Hugh Grant is really sweet and gorgeous in this movie too and Emma Thompson is beyond reproach. Probably the best scene in this movie is at the end between Emma Thompson and Hugh Grant, but I won't describe it just in case you have not yet seen this movie. It was awesome and it made me cry. Kate Winslet was great too, although her character is kind of a pain in the neck. This film is what a great romantic story is all about, unlike Titanic in which I thought the script and the dialogue were ridiculous and dreadful and there was a total lack of chemistry between Kate Winslet and Leo DiCaprio, which is too bad, because Winslet is a fabulous actor. Now for the question all us romantics have asked ourselves: Why would anyone choose Willoughby over Alan Rickman??? Here's another thought for all the Harry Potter fans. Wouldn't it be great to see a whole movie about Severus Snape in heaven with Lily, played by Kate Winslet?

How The Grinch Stole Christmas (1966 TV Film)
How The Grinch Stole Christmas (1966 TV Film)
Price: $14.20
77 used & new from $0.26

5.0 out of 5 stars You Can't Stop Christmas from Coming, December 29, 2007
This Christmas movie, along with the Charlie Brown Christmas Special and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer is amongst my favorite things of all time. I love Christmas and have a special fondness for the memories of my 1960's era childhood. I try to watch "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" when it comes on TV each year, but the last few years I have missed it. So this year I decided to buy it and share it with my two year old nephew and hope that he would love it as much as I do. The voice of the Grinch, by Boris Karloff, is perfect and the songs are wonderful (I also purchased the music CD soundtrack). The animation is hilarious, especially the facial expressions that the Grinch makes. So this year I brought out the DVD and tried to put it in the machine because I couldn't bear to watch Spongebob Squarepants one more time. My nephew is very fond of watching Spongebob over and over and I thought he might scream if I tried to put on "my" movie. But he and grandma and I watched it together and we explained who all the players were and what was going on. He loved it! He especially enjoyed the part where the Who's were shown playing with all of their wacky musical instruments. Now my nephew realizes that there is more to life than Spongebob and that you cannot keep Christmas from coming.

The Night Before Christmas
The Night Before Christmas
by Clement Clarke Moore
Price: $3.95
100 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Christmas Treasure to Pass Along, December 29, 2007
I purchased this book for my nephew who just turned two years old. My brother and I had a different version of this book when we were children and it had wonderful pictures that I can still remember 40 years later. My own visions of the perfect Christmas came from this story. I wanted my nephew to have the same feeling toward Christmas and this story as we did. I looked at a number of illustrated versions of this book and this particular one had the best pictures. They are large and realistic, with beautiful with candy colors. You can imagine yourself in the scene and feel the soft fluffy snow on the ground and taste the sugar plums.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 20, 2014 7:50 PM PST

It's Okay to Miss the Bed on the First Jump: And Other Life Lessons I Learned from Dogs
by John O'Hurley
320 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love John O'Hurley..., January 14, 2007
I admit that I am a huge fan of John O'Hurley. He's a very talented individual and I appreciate the fact that he does many things well. I got hooked on him when he joined the original cast of "Dancing with the Stars" After that I had to check out all of the re-runs of Seinfeld (available on Amazon) to see him in his "J. Petersen" character which is hilarious. I heard that John made a dance instruction video with his partner Charlotte Jorgensen, but apparently it is no longer available on his own website. Anybody have info on that? Anyway, after that I found out that John is also the announcer for the Purina Dog Show. In an interview, I heard John say that he kind of modeled his announcing style after some of the characters from the movie "Best in Show" ( which you can also get from Amazon.) Excellent movie! Turns out that John is also a pianist and composer . Check out his semi-classical CD "Peace of Mind" It's one of the most beautiful albums of music that I've ever heard. In between listenings of the CD, I watch John as the host of the current version of the game show MatchGame. So then I found out that John had written a book and I had to have it. It is sweet, funny and wonderful. If you love dogs and enjoy sweet, thoughful (and hilarious) comedy, you will love this book. So here's to John O'Hurley: actor, comedian, dancer, musician, composer, game show host and author. What more could you want?

Thundering Rainstorm
Thundering Rainstorm
39 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Relaxing Rainstorm, January 14, 2007
This review is from: Thundering Rainstorm (Audio CD)
This is my second favorite relaxation/sleep CD. My favorite one is "Firesounds" and I also love "Crackling Fire" both of which are recordings of actual campfires. I've almost worn those two out. "Thundering Rainstorm, Vol. 2" is by far the best recording of a rainstorm that I have purchased. Some of the others are nice, but tend to have long stretches where there is hardly any sound at all. When that happens you are tempted to turn up the volume, but then suddenly there is a loud thunder clap. The whole point of these CD's is for you to relax, usually at bedtime, so you don't want to be bothered getting up and adjusting the volume. You just want to let it play. This rain recording is just about perfect. There is plenty of rumbling thunder, which some of the other rain CD's don't have. There is a little bit of bird sounds in one short section, but unlike some of the others (I've read the reviewers complaints about birds) these birds are merely ambient sounds and not a disruption. And it is always raining, sometimes hard, sometimes lightly, but it is definitley rain. It's not bacon frying, it's not tapping, it's not crackling. The sound is modulated so that the thunder is obvious, but not startlingly loud. The rain drops are always present, even when it is light, you can still hear it. There are no dead spots. This CD is great for going to sleep and also for when you are working on the computer.

Night Sounds (Play the Sounds, Pull the Tabs)
Night Sounds (Play the Sounds, Pull the Tabs)
by Frank Gallo
66 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Listen to the Sounds of Animals, January 14, 2007
I love this book. I bought it for my baby nephew for Christmas. He loves to push buttons and play with toys that make sounds. The book was listed as being for slightly older children, but if you supervise your child (to make sure that they don't pull out the tabs or chew on the book) they will be sure to enjoy it. My nephew was thrilled that he could push a button, repeately, and hear an exciting sound. That was the most important part for him. His daddy read the book and told him about the animal, then my nephew pulled on the tab to see a picture of the animal that he had just heard. He laughed and squealed and kept pushing the button to hear the animal "talk". When he's old enough to read, I think he will even appreciate to the book even more. Until then, he's content to push the buttons over and over again.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Toys for Grownups, January 14, 2007
I bought this item for my brother as a Christmas gift. He is a Park Ranger and he enjoys getting gifts related to his profession. He likes "Smoky the Bear" items. There are a number of books on the subject of Park Rangers (that he has read) but it was great to find this little model of the very vehicle that my brother uses in his work every day. It was very well made and accurate in the details. For now he's going to put it on his desk at work and when his son is a little older (he's just one year old) he will let him play with it. The baby is already a junior ranger, complete with a little tiny Park Ranger's uniform. I'm sure he's going to love the truck!

Classic Italian Jewish Cooking: Traditional Recipes and Menus
Classic Italian Jewish Cooking: Traditional Recipes and Menus
by Edda Servi Machlin
30 used & new from $33.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Blended Families/Blended Recipes, January 14, 2007
I purchased this book for one of my co-workers who was engaged to be married. He is of an Italian background and his fiance's family is Jewish. They both love to cook. I was doing a search for Italian and Jewish cookbooks, seprately, not realizing that this book even exisited. The couple being married not only likes to cook, they enjoy more unusual and exotic tastes. This book had interesting recipes that came from a very specific region where there are Jewish and Italian people living in the same area, and therefore the book had delicious and quite different types of recipes that I had not seen before. In the week in which the couple returned from their honeymoon, my co-worker said they had already tried out several of the recipes and they thought that this book was one of the best and most thoughtful gifts they had received. Bon appetit and Mazaltov!

Crackling Fire
Crackling Fire
3 used & new from $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleeping Under the Stars, March 5, 2006
This review is from: Crackling Fire (Audio CD)
I love this CD! I read some of the other reviews about this CD in which the writer complained about hearing the sound of a fire poker being used which kind of disrupts the recording. I have to disagree that the sound is a disruption. To me this CD is so realistic that it reminds me of going camping out in the forest and sleeping under the stars. The place where I used to camp (At Lake Arrowhead, CA) had metal fire boxes and the sound is exactly what I remember. There is popping, and crackling and the sound of the metal cooking grate settling and the fire poker being used. I can almost smell the cedar and pine smoke! I use this CD a lot after a particularly stressful day because once I close my eyes and listen, I am immediately transported to the mountains and the forest. Then I fall asleep next to a crackling campfire under the stars.

Page: 1 | 2