Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for J.R. > Reviews

Browse

J.R.'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 21

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J.R. "Rein-man" RSS Feed (Sacramento, CA.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Symphonic Soul
Symphonic Soul
7 used & new from $22.95

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute triumph, January 9, 2012
This review is from: Symphonic Soul (Audio CD)
I was lucky enough to see this tour in the mid 70's. I saw him conduct the San Jose symphony at the San Jose center for performing arts. What an amazing show!! Everything from his cover of AWB's Pick Up the Pieces to the most excellent re-working of his own classic Peter Gunn theme shows his ultimate talent as composer and arranger. I had this album when I was a kid and loved & cherished it. I have been checking the bins at used CD stores for years hoping I'd stumble across a previously owned copy. I should've just broke down and dropped the $24.00 as it's worth every penney. I'm lucky enough to have a girlfriend that is either A) tired of watching me look for it or B) just takes pleasure in seeing to it that I get what I want. :-) Best birthday present ever...I listened to it from beginning to end four times the day I got it. There is not one weak track on the whole album. A must have for any Mancini enthusiast or fan of the genre.

Red State
Red State
DVD
Price: $2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Kevin Kevin Kevin......tch tch tch, December 19, 2011
This review is from: Red State (Amazon Video)
We expect better from you Kevin, your Mother and I (your audience) expected a MUCH better effort from a wordsmith such as yourself. I'd take ten Jersey Girls over this waste of time. Circular and pointless, this movie goes on with absolutely no resolution whatsoever. If you want a film that goes nowhere and is engaging, I would recommend 'Eraserhead.' Avoid this disappointment at all costs. This is a perfect example of "I'll never get that time back."

Skyline
Skyline
DVD ~ Eric Balfour
Offered by Sunday River
Price: $6.22
75 used & new from $0.18

1.0 out of 5 stars More like SkyLAME, November 14, 2011
This review is from: Skyline (DVD)
Donald Donald Donald.....didn't Bill Lawrence teach you that you are supposed to READ your scripts BEFORE you sign on to do a film?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 28, 2011 1:09 PM PST

The 13th Hour: A Thriller
The 13th Hour: A Thriller
by Richard Doetsch
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
62 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars A good book that could be a great film....., June 2, 2011
[small semi-spoiler ahead]

I normally review books or films by starting with 5 stars and subtracting for things that bugged me. While this premiss is refreshingly original (a time travel storyline that starts at Chapter 12 and ends with chapter 1) My two major issues were thus: A) I had enough of the author explaining over and over again how in love with each other they were (I get it already! I almost had diabetes by chapter three) and B) I'm pretty sure I would have figured out how to save my wife in about 3-4 jumps (it took this guy all 12).

However, I was pleased that the ending didn't disappoint. Our hero really does seem to make some bonehead moves, but ultimately redeems himself. Watch for this book to be optioned sometime very soon.

The Chase (An Isaac Bell Adventure)
The Chase (An Isaac Bell Adventure)
by Clive Cussler
Price: $7.26
335 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars A great example of terrible writing, January 12, 2010
I couldn't wait to finish this book so I could tell the rest of the world (or anyone wihtin eyeshot) of Cusslers God-awful writing style as of late. I only had a few weeks in between semesters for some recreational reading and, holy crap, did I ever pick the wrong book! This is the last time I pick up a tome on premise alone. The characters are extremely typical in their description, rugged jaw, piercing eyes, hour glass figure, heaving breats, yadda yadda yadda YAWN! The dialogue was grade-school at best and quite frankly, I didn't give a crap as to whether or not the "Butcher Bandit" got away. As a matter of fact, Issac Bells behavior was so sickeningly over-the-top heroic that I found myself cheering for the bad guy! I couldn't help but envison a different ending. Tell me what you think:

Cromwell puts a bullet right between Bells eyes while doing Marion from behind on a pile of cash with Margaret blowing Roosevelt on the bidet.

Classic.

Sweet Jesus I hated this book so much. People, if you have to read this, set your wince factor to 10 and be prepared to roll your eyes, grimace and set the book down a LOT. That is if you can keep from hurling it across the room. Seriously, it's a hardback and wasn't worth the $5.99 I paid at Borders. I won't donate it to the library or lend it to anyone unless they want an example of inane descriptions, ridiculous celebrity placement (Nils Lofgren? Really??) and the worst dialogue ever! Calling it pedestrian is a slam to pedestrians world-wide.

Seriously, avoid this incredible POS...stick with the guilty-pleasure Dirk Pitt novels of old...or pick up a classic for chrissake. Ugh.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 23, 2010 9:32 AM PST

Gold
Gold
Offered by megahitrecords
Price: $12.99
79 used & new from $3.73

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of the best of's, December 30, 2009
This review is from: Gold (Audio CD)
After mulling through several compilations of the "Cat", this one is the most comprehensive. When you look at Greatest Hits, Best of's, Anthologies, etc, they always seem to leave out one or two songs that you're quite sure should be on there. (Conspiracy?) This one leaves out nothing vital. It was a gift for someone else, but I will wind up dubbing a copy for myself.

Crank 2: High Voltage
Crank 2: High Voltage
DVD ~ Jason Statham
Price: $6.99
99 used & new from $0.26

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Movie Ever, October 29, 2009
This review is from: Crank 2: High Voltage (DVD)
Holy sweet mother of mercy, this is quite simply the worst film ever made. It doesn't even qualify as mindless guilty pleasure. You will actually experience pain while watching this. The writing, direction and acting are all so far below par, you have to wonder if the Hollywood hasn't violated child labor laws (by employing 13 year-old writers, producers and directors).

Yikes.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Single-Disc Edition)
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Single-Disc Edition)
DVD ~ Shia LaBeouf
231 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars I want my two & 1/2 hours back!, October 29, 2009
This film is simply God awful. Yes, the effects are cutting edge fantastic, however persons who require substance, a cohesive story, reasonably intelligent dialogue and believable acting would do well to mute the TV while watching. You'll enjoy it a lot more.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 14, 2009 5:01 PM PST

Love Stinks
Love Stinks
Price: $6.69
40 used & new from $3.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfort music that won't disappoint, July 16, 2007
This review is from: Love Stinks (Audio CD)
This was released right before they completely busted out into the mainstream with Freeze Frame. As a whole, this is a great release, not a lot of strong songs, but all songs are very listenable...you won't find yourself skipping through the songs as you listen to this. Overall, a must for any collection.

Wake Pig
Wake Pig
Price: $8.99
48 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Watch these guys, May 15, 2007
This review is from: Wake Pig (Audio CD)
We had tickets to see these guys open up for Porcupine Tree in SF and I had purchased this CD at Dimples just to familiarize myself with their music. I have to say I was blown away by the showmanship, songwriting and above all musicianship of this high energy band. Then the Tree came out with their psychadelia set and nearly put everyone to sleep. This band rocked hard and even though it's your standard drums, two guitars, bass kinda band, there's a keyboardist/percussuionist for icing and to keep the tempo rooted firmly in your rib cage. The talent here is ever-present and I fully plan on picking up their new release in July. The last song they did in their set had "classic" written all over it.

Wake Pig is a great collection of songs. You could tell right away that they were a perfect fit for PT. They're a mix of prog-metal, old school hard rock with a layer of 80's Mainstream Arena rock for good measure. (kinda like Deadwing or Stupid Dream but a bit more "fun") 3 has all the elements of a breakout band and Wake Pig has all the elements of an undergound favorite, although not sure what they were thinking for track 13. After a few listens, you keep finding new songs to love. The vocals are fresh, plenty of impressive acoustic material that lends to the roller coaster ride that is a good CD and just raw fresh talent all the way around. Wondering how they came about the name "3" though...I thought Robert Berry had dibs on that name.

Make sure to see them live, they won't disappoint.

You may however, want to pass on PT as their set was source material for a 21st century lullaby.

Peace out!