Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Grocery Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback STEM
Profile for Mike Coleman > Reviews

Browse

Mike Coleman's Profile

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mike Coleman RSS Feed (New Jersey, United States)

Page: 1 | 2
Kansas: Miracles Out Of Nowhere
Kansas: Miracles Out Of Nowhere
DVD
Price: $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars it could have been much better with all 6 guys back for an interview, March 21, 2015
I'm going to have to agree with the other review on here after watching the documentary in full last night. While it was still an enjoyable viewing, it could have been much better with all 6 guys back for an interview. My biggest pet peeve is that it only covers until 1977 (which was during their highest peak with "Dust In The Wind"). The documentary ends very abruptly. It's nice to leave off on a high note, but they left out A TON of history for this band (they really only covered about 5 years from 1973-1977). I was hoping they would touch on Monolith, Audio Visions, The Elefante Years, Power, In The Spirit, Freaks Of Nature, their reunion album in 2000...Nothing!! Kinda happy I saw this on TV first before I made the purchase, most of the cool facts they shared were shown in the trailers or said during interviews promoting the release.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 24, 2015 1:36 PM PST

Random Access Memories
Random Access Memories
Price: $5.99
141 used & new from $1.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth The Wait..., May 25, 2013
This review is from: Random Access Memories (Audio CD)
After their last studio album "Human After All", it was a little difficult to determine where Daft Punk was heading genre wise. I personally believe they landed in the perfect place..."Random Access Memories" is a Disco Funk record, period. The whole album really reflects the sound we heard in America during the late 1970's and into the 80's. I feel this was a huge shake up to the Dubstep & Electronic world right now. The group admits they feel the Electronic scene is in a weird place. To help prove their point, they recorded the album with real instruments (including real drums!) which is a hard feat when making Dance music in 2013.

"Give Life Back To Music" should get any Daft Punk fan excited when they first start the record. It instantly took me back to the disco feel of "Discovery", however I picture a 70's funk band this time. The typical Daft Punk vocoder is present which is exciting in itself but then we have Nile Rodgers and other funk greats like Paul Jackson Jr, Nathan East, James Genus, and Paul Williams. Although it's a little unclear on who plays on some of the tracks, Giorgio Moroder joins the band on the track of the same name telling a story of his life growing up in the music scene. "Giorgio" and "Touch" definitely go the most places as far as songwriting is concerned. I love how the band jams out in "Giorgio Moroder" though...it is the epic journey of the record, and who knew Daft Punk has an impressive Jazz Fusion side. Giorgio's voice annoyed me the 1st few times I listened, but 1. He doesn't speak for very long and 2. It actually sounds pretty cool to me now

The talkbox ballads "Game Of Love" and "Within" immediately reminded me of the soulful Zapp & Roger, and so did "Lose Yourself To Dance" (the 2nd track other than "Get Lucky" to feature Pharrell on vocals). The "Cmon, Cmon, Cmon, Cmon" part is funky enough to get your 80 year old white grandma to start dancing, and really does have Roger Troutman vocals soloing all over it in the 2nd half. The 2 Pharrell tracks are dripping with funk and are certainly among the strongest tracks on the record. I could see the duo using him again in the future. After all of this rambling you'd think that was it for solid tracks...but that is not the case.

"Instant Crush" featuring Julian Casablancas from The Strokes is an insanely catchy, vocoder saturated harmony fest. You could say it's the "Rock" track of the record, featuring a Strokes-esque guitar solo and a very impressive vocal performance from Julian. I could see this becoming a single after the Pharrell tracks. "Beyond" was a nice surprise to just feature the group and is one of the standout cuts from the album. Funky-fresh futuristic grooves. "Fragments Of Time" never really caught on to my ear buds, not feelin the verses too much. "Doin It Right" is very catchy but doesn't really go anywhere beyond the main hook. "Contact" is a perfect album closer to such a strong set of songs. Big reminders of "Rollin & Scratchin" at the very end with this track featuring DJ Falcon.

EDM and Dubstep fanatics - you may have to sit this one out. You probably won't get it. I give the album 4 1/2 stars - welcome back Daft Punk.

That's The Way Of The World
That's The Way Of The World
Price: $4.99
57 used & new from $3.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Feelin All Around With This One!, June 9, 2012
5 Stars. It takes a record to be something special to get 5 stars. My 2 favorite EWF albums are this record and "All N All". So "Shining Star" is a song that almost everybody knows...we start off the record on a great high note. It could possibly be the best 2:51 in Funk history (debatable I know). The title track slows things down a little bit but not as far as the instrumentation is concerned. As we all know by now, this group was one of the TIGHTEST in the business! "Happy Feelin", "Yearnin Learnin" & "Africano" bring us extra doses of Funk that will keep your ears busy for years to come. These songs do not get old...that's one thing that gives this album 5 stars. It's timeless! Favorites: "Africano" & "Happy Feelin"...what can I say? I'm a Funk fanatic, if you are as well than definitely add this to your collection.

Faces
Faces
Price: $4.99
53 used & new from $2.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Most Underrated Earth Wind & Fire album!, June 9, 2012
This review is from: Faces (Audio CD)
I will start out by saying that this is definitely the most underrated and overlooked EWF album...I'm sure that's debatable but from my end it seems obvious. Anyway, I think that could be for a few reasons. The time period of course is the first thing that comes to mind...In the early 80's this kind of music was fading out and many great funk bands were trying to adapt to the new sound. The 2nd reason could be the lot of filler material they put on the record. 15 tracks is a lot for an album...I can't knock them for releasing tons of material though, but the middle of the record slows down too much. The beginning and the end of the record are both strong components to the album as a whole....The first two tracks "Let Me Talk" and "Turn It Into Something Good" are pretty strong tracks and start off the album pretty well. They also sound like typical EWF. Track 3 - "Pride" is one of the funkiest songs I've ever heard from the group...it's probably my favorite on the album. An incredible track! After "Pride" is where the album begins to tumble a bit..."You" and "Back On The Road" are mediocre at best. "Song In My Heart" and "Sparkle" are probably the strongest tracks in the middle of the record until we get to Track 12 - "Win Or Lose". This is where the record picks up the pace a little...a pace that I consider more enjoyable for the remainder of the songs. "Faces" ends the album on a high note as I mentioned earlier. This incredible piece is great at showing that the group hasn't forgotten their roots, and provides proof that in 1981 there was still a lot more to come.

All 'N All
All 'N All

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect release from Earth Wind & Fire!, June 9, 2012
This review is from: All 'N All (MP3 Music)
This record was released at a great time for Earth, Wind, & Fire. I believe it is better than "I Am" which came out after this. Any Funk fan should have this album in their collection for sure... "Serpentine Fire", "Jupiter", "Magic Mind", and "Runnin" all drench this album with hard hitting Funk grooves that make the purchase worth it alone. "Fantasy" and "Love's Holiday" are some of the band's best ballads to date, and the interludes of Brazilian Rhyme & In The Marketplace are fun too. The band is super tight here folks and they are having a ball! I also think this is a great record to introduce others to the band - it showcases all sides of the group! 5 Stars for a pretty flawless album...

Isley Brothers: Here We Go Again
Isley Brothers: Here We Go Again
DVD ~ Isley Brothers
2 used & new from $89.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The Isley Brothers! Well...half of them., February 25, 2012
I guess I should begin with saying that this is the best Isley Brothers DVD out there. So if you love The Isley Brothers then definitely grab this one. I give it just under 4 stars. I don't know WHY there wouldn't be multiple DVD releases from some of their shows in the 1970's. I hope this is somewhere in the works as I type this! Anyway...one nice surprise that I got when I popped this in my TV was Marvin Isley on Bass (No love for Marvin on the cover!). We get half of the Isley Brothers on this DVD...Ron (Vocals), Ernie (Guitar), and Marvin(Bass). The footage was taken in 1994 at the North Sea Jazz Festival. I know the Isleys were a ballad band to some extent but the show does get a little tiring in certain spots. The highlights are "Here We Go Again", "Take Me To The Next Phase", "Footsteps In The Dark"/"Groove With You", and "That Lady". I'm really missing the songs that jam like "Fight The Power", "The Pride", "Live It Up", "Winner Takes All"? Just Sayin!! Ernie and Marvin sound tight as hell, and Ron sounds pretty good considering it was already 1994 when this was recorded.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 9, 2014 9:25 AM PDT

Stevie Wonder: Live at Last
Stevie Wonder: Live at Last
DVD ~ Stevie Wonder
Price: $14.99
32 used & new from $8.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Stevie and his band are incredible!, February 25, 2012
This review is from: Stevie Wonder: Live at Last (DVD)
I ordered this DVD with a bunch of other "Funk" related live shows and just recently got to this one this morning. It's probably the best out of the batch which shocked me. There's many reasons I give this 5 stars...Stevie sounds incredible, he has a tighter band than some jazz fusion groups out there right now, and the setlist choices were dynamite on this DVD. The show is over 2 hours long, and he plays a lot of his album "Hotter Than July" which I thought was awesome. You can see some stars in the audience dancing throughout the show, and they show an equal amount of screen time for all members of the band. Stevie's daughter Aisha joins him throughout the entire show on backup vocals. I Haven't caught the group in concert yet but I plan to after watching this. 5 STARS, a must have if you are a Stevie Wonder fan or a general R&B/Funk fanatic.

Weezer (Red Album) [Deluxe]
Weezer (Red Album) [Deluxe]
Offered by Blue ducks
Price: $22.99
44 used & new from $0.33

4.0 out of 5 stars A Brand New Weezer (3 1/2 stars), June 3, 2008
The Red Album is the biggest surprise that this band has released to this date. While at times it has its typical weezer hooks, chugging power chords, and cuomo melodies, this album sheds a whole new light on who Weezer actually is today in 2008. It's the first Weezer album where the other members had the same amount of insight as Rivers on ideas for the songs. Some of the songs are sung entirely by other members of the band. Also, the members of the band switch instruments multiple times. I think it is safe to say that this is the most experimental album by far by Weezer.

Troublemaker - This opening track is crazy catchy, but doesn't really go to many places and is probably one of the weakest tracks on the album(especially lyric wise). "Marrying a biatch, Having seven Kiads"...?? The track is able to keep you on your feet, but that's about it.

The Greatest Man That Ever Lived - The most epic track on the album crosses over to many different genres. The song constantly changes for the whole six minutes of the song includes challenging choral pieces, punk breakdowns, pop verses, and original Weezer and Rock melodies.

Pork and Beans - The first single of the album. In a way, it was a tease for what was to come for the album since a chorus of a Weezer song hasn't sounded like this for years. While the verse has a new Weezer feel, the chorus takes you back to 1994. Written after an intense meeting with Geffen, Rivers angrily went home to write this song that is an allout backlash at the record company for not respecting the freedom of the band. "Imma do the things that I want to, I ain't got a thing to prove to you". One of the strongest tracks on the entire album for sure.

Heart Songs - Rivers' influences mean a lot to him. Which is why this sincere ballad another one of the strongest tracks on the album. Describing all of his influences by name, Rivers mentions all of the rockstars and past musicians that helped him become who he is today. At times, the song sounds a bit corny moving into the chorus. But, the bridge is one of the strongest bits on the entire album with insanely catchy overlapping vocals and distorted guitars. He mentions that his room mate showed him "Nevermind" by Nirvana, and that it "broke the chains it had up on me" and by that time he set out to start a rock band with his friends.

Everybody Get Dangerous - One of the hardest tracks on the album. *Personally* its my least favorite on the entire album next to Troublemaker. But at the same time, the song starts out absolutely rockin. I also feel like the verses are really strong. Reminiscent also of the chili peppers and maybe zeppelin. The chorus seems a bit corny, especially with the "boo yah"! The highlight of the song is towards the end where Pat goes off by himself, and the rest of the band is just shouting having fun.

Dreamin' - Rivers pushed this one to be on the album. I see why he did it too. Maybe not the strongest track, but it definitely brings back the Weezer feel to the album. It sounds like a lost track off of Make Believe or Maladroit. Sort of has a "Keep Fishin" type of feel but a little harder. Also, a pretty interesting breakdown with Brian singing lead. Very psychedelic sounding, and then it gets a bit more poppy as it goes on.

Thought I Knew - Brian's song on the album. He sings lead vocals. It definitely has a "Space Twins" or "The Relationship" type of feel on the album. It doesn't sound like a Weezer song at all. But it is a good tune, it just doesn't feel like it flows too well with the rest of the album. The lyrics are definitely nice, as well as the guitar work. The track itself is really great, but I'm not too sure it belongs on here.

Cold Dark World - Scotts song on the album. Another weak one on the album (personally I feel this way). The song doesn't really go anywhere. It just feels dead. Scotts not exactly singing in the verse, its more talking. The chorus "Angel come in a cold dark world, im gonna be your man". The chorus had potential but doesn't really hit it right. The strongest part of the song is when the guitar has a break by itself. It's really pretty.

Automatic - Pats song on the album. Very rockin and pretty awesome. It's really in your face. The only thing that was a dissapointment was the tempo. In the remix that was first released, the tempo was set MUCH MUCH higher. And it gave a whole new feel to the song. Pats vocal perfomance is impressive, and this was definitely a good choice from him and the band to put this one on. Very solid track.

The Angel And The One - One of my favorites on this album by far. This song has one of Rivers' best performances in years. Or maybe it's just nice to hear him talking about love again. It is by far the best album closer since Pinkerton, and has Rivers describing how he is at peace with his love life "I am complete, is what im sayin. I'm flying up so high, my purple majesty displaying". Even the guitar work is beautiful towards the end. Which is nice to hear since the album barely showcases any guitar work. Nothing else to say except that this is a beautiful song.

The other 4 deluxe tracks are amazing. Miss Sweeney starts to sound like Old Weezer but at first sounds like something completely new until it hits the chorus, the full band version of "Pig" is utterly satisfying compared to the demo, The Spider is beautiful and actually very trippy sounding, and lastly King is a great acoustic song sung by Scott. This one should have replaced Cold Dark World. King is a very strong track. I guess the only thing I have to say is that I was dissapointed that there wasn't one real guitar solo on the whole album. Also, the b sides/covers are really awesome so I suggest everybody tries to get their hands on them. Enjoy the album everyone, it is yet another success by Weezer.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 8, 2014 4:50 PM PDT

Audio Visions
Audio Visions
Offered by Media Medley
Price: $12.98
32 used & new from $2.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Audio - Visions for the future, November 2, 2005
This review is from: Audio Visions (Audio CD)
All bands have to adapt to the incoming music and the world around them. The scene was getting into 80's pop, and even disco. I think Kansas did a great job adapting these things but still having their own sound. Other bands had to do the same thing in the 80's, look at Kiss, Led Zeppelin, or Pink Floyd. The lyrics are still there. Of course it's not as amazing as "Leftoverture" or "Point Of Know Return" were. But think of how many amazing releases this band has put out in the past. Great catchy songs on here. I reccomend "Loner", "Don't Open Your Eyes", "Got To Rock On", and "No One Together". Overall the whole album is good. A decent listen. If you liked any other Kansas albums I would pick this one up, you are sure to like this album at least somewhat or pretty much enjoy it like I did. But if you are starting out, I would start with "Leftoverture", "Point Of Know Return" or "The Best Of Kansas"

Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers
Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers
DVD ~ Donald Pleasence
Offered by ACE MEDIA DIRECT
Price: $5.55
36 used & new from $2.50

3.0 out of 5 stars After The Family Once Again...With a little help, September 12, 2005
Halloween 5 isnt bad...it's just not great. They could have made it a lot better. One of the main characters dies in the first half of the movie (Rachel). A lot of the characters besides Jamie Lloyd perish in the movie, including Jamie's older sister Rachel along with many of her friends. You don't find out what happens to Rachel's best friend at the end. You also don't find out who that mysterious man in black is who helps out Michael in his killing spree(until Halloween 6). Many mysteries are left unsolved after 5 which in mostly all of the cases is a very bad thing. The movie continues from Halloween 4 and Jamie is in an asylum at the vewry beginning where Rachel and her best friend are visiting. Dr. Loomis is up to his investigations and hunting once again and he makes the movie as good as it can be. The ending is a HUGE letdown if you don't like to be left hanging. This movie is over the top with that, because we never hear from Jamie again, and we are left at the end of the movie with her in a police station, crying, while all of the cops are dead. Cmon... Anyway, One thing I will say is that it's a lot better than Halloween 8. Hopefully Halloween 9: Retribution will make the fans happy. I'm looking forward to it.

Page: 1 | 2