Profile for Ionotropic > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ionotropic RSS Feed

Price: $84.99
16 used & new from $19.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Battery Compartment Breaks Easily, April 2, 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
The controller works fine and I haven't had problems with the d-pad (although I don't play fighting games), but the main problem is with the compartment that the battery is placed into. The bottom part of the compartment (where the springs are) is weakly built and will break easily, even with gentle swapping of batteries. I have a friend who had the exact same problem with this controller, so I don't think it is just a problem with mine. I also never had this problem with the old wireless controllers. Once this piece breaks off, the controller is broken and useless.

myGear Products LifeGuard Screen Protector Film for Amazon Kindle Fire (Previous Generation) - (3 Pack) Clear LIFETIME GUARANTEE
Offered by myGearStore
Price: $6.95
2 used & new from $6.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Good protection with easy installation., November 16, 2011
I am very pleased with this screen protector. There are simple and adequate installation instructions included. Installation was a breeze. I've used liquid-installation screen protectors on other tablets, and that's really an unnecessary chore (that can damage your tablet if not careful).

With this dry installation, I didn't get a single air bubble, so I didn't even have to use the squeegee card. As the other reviewers mentioned, the protector is just a tiny bit smaller than the whole surface area of the Kindle Fire's glass, but this is pretty much a nitpick for me since I'm using a folio case as well. My alignment was also a bit off-center, but not enough for me to try to peel it off and re-install it. It's also great that you get three protectors, so if you mess up an installation or damage it, you still have spares.

Gears of War 3 Limited Edition (Official Strategy Guides (Bradygames))
Gears of War 3 Limited Edition (Official Strategy Guides (Bradygames))
by Doug Walsh
Price: $23.31
101 used & new from $1.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic guide for Gears fans!, September 23, 2011
This is a beautifully-crafted 300+ page guide covering everything you need to know to play Gears of War 3. It has a hardback cover, and the silvery cog/skull/lancer art shines and reflects light when the book is held at certain angles. The logo extends across the spine to the back cover as well. The whole guide has gorgeous artwork throughout.

The book has an introduction to the main characters, weapons guide, enemy guide, campaign walkthrough with plenty of screenshots, multiplayer guide covering all modes, and multiplayer map breakdown. Some of the multiplayer tips are very useful, although Gears veterans will know most of it already. There is also an extensive appendix which covers all the game's unlockables, including collectibles, ribbons, medals, mutators, weapon skins, executions, characters, achievements, and avatar awards. There's even a list of the purchasable weapon skins.

The bonus content is very nice. There is a code to download a strategy video from Xbox Live Marketplace which covers act 1 of the campaign. You also get access to digital versions of the Gears of War and Gears of War 2 Bradygames guides, which are both huge. There is a nice 12-page preview of the Gears of War comic. I'm not even into comics, but I might have to check the Gears comics out after seeing this preview. There is also a physical soundtrack sampler CD, but I haven't listened to it yet.

Overall, this is an awesome guide. If you want help with the game, or you're just a fan who enjoys all things Gears, it is a worthy addition to your collection.

Sharkoon X-Tatic True 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound Gaming Headset
Sharkoon X-Tatic True 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound Gaming Headset

3.0 out of 5 stars Great sound. Deal-breaking comfort issues., September 11, 2011
I used this headset for over one year, mostly for Xbox 360 gaming, although I love that it works with the PS3 as well. The headset has a very sturdy build. It has a detachable microphone that is my favorite of all the headsets I have used (Tritton AX 720, Sennheiser PC 360). It is very sturdy, yet very flexible. It doesn't let your friends hear you breathing, like some other mics.

The headband is padded adequately, but the earpads are not thick enough. The drivers press right up against my ears and put too much pressure on them. It becomes painful after two or three hours. The earpieces can be slid up or down for head/ear height adjustment, but the tension in the headband cannot be adjusted for head width (or ear size). It is too tense and results in too much pressure on the ears. This is especially painful for glasses-wearers such as myself, as it also causes pain behind the ears. I actually discovered a small wound in my skin where the arm of my glasses ends behind my ear.

The comfort problems also extend to my neck. The headset is quite heavy, and causes me neck pain with associated headache after two to three hours of play. This happened to me not just a few times, but every single time I played. I keep the volume quite low, too, so I don't think the headaches were because of loud volume.

The sound quality is fantastic. It is very useful in FPS multiplayer games to hear what's going on behind you. You can adjust the front, sides, rear, and subwoofer volumes individually. My preference was to minimize the subs and turn up the rear volume to get tactical advantage in Call of Duty MW2 / Black Ops and Halo Reach. It definitely helped, and I noticed tons of sounds I never noticed with stereo TV speakers. Great immersion.

Despite the comfort issues, I stuck with these cans for over one year. Unfortunately, I have now abandoned this high-quality headset because of the pain. The newly designed 5.1 headset by Sharkoon will hopefully address some of the comfort problems. It is also available for purchase here on Amazon.

I now have the Sony Wireless 7.1 headset for my PS3 It has very good simulated 7.1 sound, it is lightweight and very comfortable, and it has a rechargeable lithium ion battery. For my Xbox 360, I'm currently using a Sennheiser PC 360 with Astro Mixamp 5.8. This is an (expensive!) excellent-sounding headset and is amazingly comfortable with thick, luxurious ear padding, but I'm having some voice chat sound issues with the Mixamp. I haven't determined if the problem is with the Mixamp itself or the headset.

I'm planning on getting the MadCatz/Tritton 7.1 Gears of War 3 headset for my Xbox 360, which will offer simulated 7.1. I'm trying to figure out if it will work with PS3 as well. Lastly, I'm also keeping an eye on the upcoming Razer Tiamat 7.1, although it is only designed for PC. Razer claims it is the first True 7.1 gaming headset. I'm trying to see if it is possible to use on console along with the Astro Mixamp 5.8.

+ fantastic sound quality, true 5.1
+ individually adjustable directional sound
+ works with Xbox 360, PS3, and PC
+ excellent microphone
+/- tons of wires, but no recharging required
- extremely painful to ears
- heavy, causes headache and neck pain after few hours
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 17, 2011 5:01 AM PST

Seidio Innocase II Surface Case for HTC ThunderBolt (Blue)
Seidio Innocase II Surface Case for HTC ThunderBolt (Blue)
Offered by Atomic Gaming
Price: $18.95
3 used & new from $16.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Innocase II + screen protector = good to go!, September 11, 2011
I had my doubts about this case, but I have been pleasantly surprised. It is solidly built. The insides are lined with felt so it won't scratch your Thunderbolt. It consists of two unevenly-sized pieces that slide over the top and bottom of the phone, respectively, and slightly overlap and snap together in the middle. The cut-outs for the power button, camera, and kickstand are perfect. The case has a matte finish (anti-fingerprint) but gives off a beautiful sheen.

At first, it is hard to take it off the phone, but becomes very easy with practice. You need to turn the phone backside-up, use one hand's index finger and thumb to squeeze the sides of the phone right above the joint line of the case (on the bigger piece of the case), and use the other hand's thumb and middle finger to grip the sides of the lower piece below the joint line. Use the index finger of that hand to press down on the middle of the lower piece, right above the kickstand. This will dislodge the snap mechanism that keeps the two pieces together, and they'll slide off like butter. Some guys put up a video on Youtube of this process, which takes only a few seconds.

Combined with a screen protector like Steinheill or Zagg, this case gives ultimate protection to your Thunderbolt. The only caveat is that the Thunderbolt will overheat if you leave the case on for two or three days straight. I suspect this may be because of the felt lining of the case. To avoid this, I take the case off every day when I get home, and never charge the phone while it is in the case. The phone never overheated again once I started removing the case daily.

Spend twenty bucks on this case and a few bucks on a screen protector, and it will protect your Thunderbolt for life!

In summary:
+ solid protection for phone's body
+ does not add too much weight or thickness
+ beautiful and no fingerprints
+/- difficult to remove at first, becomes easy with practice
+/- no holster mechanism / available as separate add-on
- will overheat phone if not removed every one or two days
- no frontal protection / need to purchase screen protector

BUFFALO MiniStation Stealth 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive - HD-PCT1TU3/BB
BUFFALO MiniStation Stealth 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive - HD-PCT1TU3/BB
2 used & new from $74.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Requires reformat for PC + Mac harmony, September 11, 2011
The hard drive is attractive and has a solid design. The top is a fingerprint magnet because of the shiny black surface, but I don't care much about that. The LED is attractive and gives a good visual indicator that the hard drive is connected or being accessed. The cord that is included is not proprietary. It is one of the standard types of USB 3.0 cables (I can't remember if it is mini or micro). It is too short for my preferences, though. The hard drive comes with software (not a CD, but loaded onto the hard drive) that boosts transfer speeds on PC but doesn't work with Macs. Again, not a big deal to me.

My reason for buying the hard drive was to move files from a PC to a Mac. This required initial reformatting of the hard drive, using software that was already on the hard drive. I installed the software to my PC and reformatted the hard drive to FAT32. The limitation of FAT32 is that you cannot save individual files that are greater than 4GB in size. No problem for me since I don't have files that large.

The problem is that the software is now gone from the hard drive since I reformatted it. It looks like they have the software available to download from their website, except I cannot find it for this particular model of hard drive (unless it is the same as the EU version which they do have listed). You also have to type in the serial number from your hard drive in order to be allowed to download the software, so hopefullly it is not worn off from the hard drive if you have had it for a long time.

Transfer times on PC were decent using USB 2.0. I don't have any computer with USB 3.0, so I couldn't test that. I haven't used the hard drive with my Mac so far. I will try to update this review if there are any performance problems on Mac. (Update 5.23.2012 - works fine on Mac, no issues to report).

+ solid build
+ attractive and informative LED
+ gets the job done with decent speed at 2.0
- requires reformat for mac use
- usb cable is too short
- make a CD backup of the pre-installed software before using the hard drive
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 26, 2013 12:14 AM PDT

Wireless Stereo Headset - Playstation 3
Wireless Stereo Headset - Playstation 3
Offered by goHastings
Price: $84.97
55 used & new from $54.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome 7.1 for PS3!, September 11, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This headset is excellent for use with the PS3. It is lightweight so it won't cause headaches or neck pain with prolonged use. The headband is padded nicely. The earpads are comfortable and surround the whole ear. The sound quality is excellent and the volume is more than adequate. It has decent bass, but doesn't overwhelm mids and highs. There is a built-in power button, muting, retractable microphone, and volume-voice mixing slider. The mic has a blue LED when on and a pink LED when muted. The USB receiver is sleek and has a blue LED. The biggest surprise of all for me was the built-in lithium ion battery. Connect these cans to your PS3 or computer and let 'em charge!

The only downside for me is that I couldn't figure out how to make the headset work on a Mac. I haven't tried using them with a PC yet.

Update: Got them working on the Mac with the help of the first commenter! Good stereo sound.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 26, 2011 3:47 PM PDT

SGP HTC Thunderbolt Screen Protector Steinheil Ultra Series [Ultra Crystal]
SGP HTC Thunderbolt Screen Protector Steinheil Ultra Series [Ultra Crystal]

3.0 out of 5 stars Steinheil versus Zagg, July 9, 2011
I had a Zagg on my Thunderbolt which was working quite well. I dropped my phone for the first time yesterday (good thing I had a Seido cover on it), and it left the Zagg protector with a tiny gash in it. So I removed my Zagg, and I found the glass to be perfectly intact (thanks Zagg). I then attempted to place one of these Steinheil ultra crystal protectors. Unfortunately, the instructions are insufficient.

I didn't know that the protector is covered on the back AND the front. I ended up removing the front cover prematurely, thinking that it was the protector itself. Then I discovered that the protector was actually attached to the back cover. I replaced the front cover onto the front of the protector the best that I could, and proceeded to try to install the protector. So I partially peeled off the back cover and started applying the protector to the screen, applying the squeegee simultaneously.

If you touch the back of the protector after removing the back cover, it is rendered useless by fingerprints or dust (even if you washed your hands before). I was able to install it, but there are a few air bubbles on the sides that just won't be defeated by the squeegee. I think there is a tiny piece of dust in the center of one of the air bubbles. While the Zagg's installation is more complicated (requiring application of fluid and several hours to allow it to dry), I like the results better in the end. It allows for more adjustability during the procedure, since you can actually touch the back of the protector without getting fingerprints or dust on it (because it is wet). You can actually take a few tries to line up the protector so it fits properly on the screen.

In terms of the quality of the protectors, the Steinheil is less noticeable than the Zagg when installed, but I don't think it can stand up to damage like the Zagg. The Zagg feels a bit more thick, rubbery, and grippy when sliding your finger across. Both of them are quite smudge-prone, so you'll often need to clean it with a microfiber cloth. I'm ordering a replacement for my Zagg ($3.99 shipping and have to mail back the old one) and will probably go back to using that once I get it. I think Steinheil includes two protectors because they know you will screw up the first time you install it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 17, 2011 1:01 PM PDT

The 3rd Birthday Signature Series Guide (Bradygames Signature Guides)
The 3rd Birthday Signature Series Guide (Bradygames Signature Guides)
by Michael Owen
48 used & new from $3.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Skinny and beautiful, just like Aya!, March 31, 2011
This is a very well-done guide. It's about half the size of the Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together Bradygames guide. The cover is semi-glossy on front and back, with parts of Aya's clothing reflecting light. There are a few really nice full-page character artworks in the book. The guide explains the basics of gameplay, and the walkthrough covers episodes 0 through 6 and is illustrated with plenty of screenshots. There is also a full weapons guide, beastiary, and instructions on how to unlock all of Aya's costumes, including the highly sought-after Lightning costume from Final Fantasy XIII (hint: it doesn't involve beating the game 30 times, as many websites have suggested). The guide contains many other secrets as well, which I won't spoil! This is a great purchase, and the sale price is a steal. Go buy it now!

Puzzle Quest 2 - Nintendo DS
Puzzle Quest 2 - Nintendo DS
Offered by DealTavern
Price: $15.61
37 used & new from $5.09

5.0 out of 5 stars I've relapsed on Puzzle Quest!, June 22, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Preface: I played Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords on PSP from start to finish, and I loved it. I couldn't put it down. I was hooked. I saw little colored gems matching up when I shut my eyes. I consider it one of the best games available. I also played PQ: Galactrix on Nintendo DS from start to finish. It was a painful experience that I don't wish to speak of any further.

Quick Impression of PQ2

Loved: The game sticks to the match 3/4/5 with hybrid RPG elements style of Puzzle Quest 1. It's not like Galactrix. New classes with emphasis on different play styles. Fun minigames that don't interfere with progression. Deeper character customization. No loading times. Silky smooth autosave that doesn't interrupt the flow of the game. Spot-on touch screen controls. Just as addictive as PQ1, if not more so!

Hated: No d-pad or button support. Would like to take a break from using the stylus sometimes. Boring music, not as catchy as PQ1. Subpar audio quality. Sparse but unnecessary voice acting. Difficult to focus on what is happening on top screen while matching gems on the bottom. Would have preferred this game to be released on PSP (if you played PQ1 on PSP, you know what I'm talking about). So addictive, I'm getting carpal tunnel syndrome again.

Bottom line: A must-have for any puzzle/RPG fan, and well worth the price of admission for those who are doubting the price point. You'll get dozens if not hundreds of hours of playtime with great replay value, all in a portable format that goes with you anywhere. Just don't get so addicted that you stop showing up for work.

Page: 1 | 2